Battle Mechanics Research

There seemed to be confusion about Prankster, I tested with Wyverii and can confirm that Prankster is still +1 Priority based on Speed, it was outsped by +3, +2, and a faster +1 priority move, while Prankster went first only vs the slower +1 priority move.

There seemed to be confusion about Prankster, I tested with Wyverii and can confirm that Prankster is still +1 Priority based on Speed, it was outsped by +3, +2, and a faster +1 priority move, while Prankster went first only vs the slower +1 priority move.
So combined with the data already collected, it would seem that Prankster boosts any "Other" move directly to +1, instead of simply raising its priority by one, presumably...

Ah I see. Well I just tried it against a heavier Pokemon (Sigilyph v Golbat) in a trainer battle and it worked so it's just another silly rumor debunked. It's probably just a wild-only mechanic with no competitive implications.
Roar/Whirlwind failed if used against a higher level Pokemon in wild battles gen V and perhaps other gens as well. This might also be the case in trainer battles.

So I found something very interesting. With regards to current breeding mechanics, we have the following from bulbapedia:

• The Pokémon will start with any moves that it would learn by leveling up only if both parents know the move. This does not apply to moves that later evolutions can learn (such as Breloom's Mach Punch, which Shroomish cannot learn).
  • The Pokémon will start with any TM or HM moves (and in Crystal, Move Tutor moves) that the father knows and the baby can also learn by machine.
  • The Pokémon will start with any Egg moves that the baby can learn and the father knows.
So I bred a male pancham with a female Quilladin. My male Pancham knew Work Up, Slash, Circle Throw, Vital Throw. My female Quilladin knew Rollout, Leech Seed, Needle Arm and Seed Bomb. But every Chespin I hatched had Tackle, Growl and Rollout. I don't know how this is possible, unless Rollout is an egg move for Chespin and that now egg moves can be inherited if EITHER parent has the egg move (it used to be only inheritable from the male). I tried this but can someone verify this.

So combined with the data already collected, it would seem that Prankster boosts any "Other" move directly to +1, instead of simply raising its priority by one, presumably...
After testing Helping Hand vs Protect Klefki vs Wyverii, I can confirm that Prankster boosts any "Other" move by +1, regardless of its original starting priority. In this battle, Protect went before +5 priority Helping Hand when Klefki was faster, while Helping Hand went first when Minun was faster. Protect is normally +4

Edit: I have not tested with moves of negative priority yet, however

Last edited:
Does that mean roar and whirlwind will always be at +1 for prankster users? Cuz that would get annoying fast....

After testing Helping Hand vs Protect Klefki vs Wyverii, I can confirm that Prankster boosts any "Other" move by +1, regardless of its original starting priority. In this battle, Protect went before +5 priority Helping Hand when Klefki was faster, while Helping Hand went first when Minun was faster. Protect is normally +4
Could it be possible that it raises anything below +1 directly to +1, and anything +1 or above it just gives a single boost? Or is it just that the Room attacks are no longer negative priority? Hmm...A lot of testing is gonna be required this gen.

Confirming the same happens with Forest's Curse. Had it cast on my Dragalgae, the Phantump went on to leech seed me, Dragalgae was immune but when the turn ended I had HP restored by my Black Sludge.

Someone should check to see if Soak has been changed to this functionality.
Quoting myself but just had a Golduck in game use Soak on me and I got the message "Chesnaught transforms into the water type" rather than "Water type was added to Chesnaught".

Knock Off is now 65 BP. Can someone confirm that Knock Off is 130 BP if it knocks off an item? The description says "more damage" but that's vague. Thanks!

Tested both of these with Zebraiken.
  • Electric immunity to paralysis: when an Electric-type with Volt Absorb\Lightningrod gets hit by Thunder Wave, which takes precedence? If paralysis immunity takes precedence, then the the healing\Sp. Attk boost will not occur.
Lightning Rod takes precedence over the immunity to paralysis. A Thunder Wave vs Electrike boosted its Special Attack.
  • Honedge line and Magnet Pull: are they still affected despite the Ghost immunity to trapping abilities?
Honedge can switch out of Magnet Pull.

Me and Nexus tested Ghosts vs trapping moves, they can switch out but they will take damage while they're in

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sound-based moves go through Substitute. Metal Sound and Screech were tested after Substitute was used, and both moves had normal effect. Reports of Boomburst, Growl, and Supersonic going through Substitute were brought up too - I'll test those shortly, as well as other sound-based moves.

Also to test: whether or not sound-based moves go through Substitute on a Soundproof Pokemon. Unlikely but still probably worth testing.

Last edited:
Confirmed with Zebraiken:

- Toxic can hit a Pokemon currently in the air from Fly if Toxic is used by a Poison-type (this may mean toxic has 100% accuracy on poison-types)
- Substitute still blocks Toxic when its used by a Poison-type

will be testing toxic a lot more

Ok, so Mewtwo's Toxic COULD NOT hit something using Fly, this is exclusive to Poison-types

Last edited:

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My pokemon with 31/26/31/31/24/31 has HP Steel. This is the same type it would have previously.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My pokemon with 31/26/31/31/24/31 has HP Steel. This is the same type it would have previously.
That is... not the same type it would have had in Gen 5 and previous. It would have been Ghost-type then. HP Steel also matches the prediction of the chart in the first post.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This may not be the best evidence we can get, but I used Flying Press against a Scraggy and the HP went down insanely fast. That usually only happens when the move had a 4x effectiveness OR the Attack/Defense difference is really high.

Not conclusive at all, of course, but for now, I'm inclined to believe 4x effectiveness is perfectly possible.

This may not be the best evidence we can get, but I used Flying Press against a Scraggy and the HP went down insanely fast. That usually only happens when the move had a 4x effectiveness OR the Attack/Defense difference is really high.

Not conclusive at all, of course, but for now, I'm inclined to believe 4x effectiveness is perfectly possible.

This seems to vary quite a bit depending on the move. Aerial Ace, for example, drops the HP nearly instantly if its an OHKO. Other moves (Razor Shell) drop it much slower.

Also, me and Zebraiken tested this out in the OP

Topsy-Turvy: is it affected by Clear Body?
Topsy-Turvy is not affected by Clear Body. A +0 Tentacool wrap vs Inkay did more damage than a +2 Topsy-Turvyd Tentacool Wrap vs Inkay. I saved the battle video of this one. Topsy-Turvy works on Clear Body Pokemon!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Just some things on Aegislash and Stance Change, I have no idea if this is being repeated or not cuz the search function is so dumb:

Aegislash will forme change to Sword Stance if you select an attacking move, even if the opponent uses Protect or Aegislash is put to sleep.
Aegislash reverts to Shield Stance if it is manually switched out and back in (not confirmed on being phazed out by Roar or Whirlwind).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I want to confirm that Poison Fang's poisoning (?) is now a Toxic-poison. It increases with every turn. (It wasn't like that, right?)
For BW it was Toxic poisoning. Doesn't hurt to double check though.

Also for end-of-battle sequence: Your Pokemon will take recoil damage before the end of the battle is announced, but it will not take hail or sandstorm damage. Have not encountered a tie scenario yet to determine what happens if the opponent faints and then your Pokemon faints due to recoil.

I will upload a video anyway so you guys can calculate if the formula has changed - looks like the damage is less kinda every turn :/ or my Pidgeot has low HP haha :x

Upstart

Copy Cat
What happens if malamar uses Topsy Turvy at +1 atk +1 def? Does it still become -1 atk -1 def or does it become +3 atk +3 def due to contrary?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That is... not the same type it would have had in Gen 5 and previous. It would have been Ghost-type then. HP Steel also matches the prediction of the chart in the first post.
Shit sorry. Meant ghost. I was doing this from memory at work. Just double checked and it is ghost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)