Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hmm either way, sticky web seems like a massive buff to smeargle leads. Oh boy, this sounds fun and not to mention this move alone destroys the absolute speed creep BW brought. So I wouldn't say it's such a bad thing.

Haruno

out of its 3 known users however we have

Ariados
70/90/70/60/60/40

terrible mon all around from an ou standpoint

Vivilon
80/50/50/100/50/100
really only has speed going for it, it's SpA is average though it's defenses are pretty horrendous.

We also have smeargle which makes for a broken lead now with its newfound toy

Can this move be spun away? Can it be "absorbed" by Bug types or something? Would be nice for Bug to have a role in OU.
Well, Volcorona has a role...

Also, we need someone to confirm that Level 10 Bug thing. If Kriketune, Vivillon, Dustox, LEAVANNY, and the rest of that group gets it, we could have an interesting time.

So there were no Galvantulas or Joltiks on the GTS, but I got a friend of a friend to borrow Ariados and let me play around with the web. Makeshift battle log, keeping in mind I might have transcripted some of the battle messages wrong:

Azure's Team: Pineco (Rapid Spin), Tentacool (Clear Body), Pawniard (Defiant), Malimar (Contrary)
Opponent's Team: Ariados (Sticky Web)

Azure sent out Pineco!
Opponent sent out Ariados!

Turn 1
Pineco used Protect! Pineco protected itself!
Ariados used Sticky Web! A sticky web was placed around your team's feet!

Turn 2
Ariados used Sticky Web! But it failed!
Pineco used Rapid Spin! The sticky web vanished from beneath your team's feet!

Turn 3
Pineco used Protect! Pineco protected itself!
Ariados used Sticky Web! A sticky web was placed around your team's feet!

Turn 4
Pineco, return! Go, Pawniard!
Pawniard was caught in a sticky web! Pawniard's Speed fell! (Defiant activates) Pawniard's attack sharply rose!

Turn 5
Pawniard, return! Go, Tentacool!
(No message appeared; Tentacool's Clear Body prevented the Speed drop)

Turn 6
Tentacool, return! Go, Malimar!
Malimar was caught in a sticky web! Malimar's Speed rose! (Contrary)

Azure forfeited the battle!
Long story short Rapid Spin clears it, Clear Body blocks it, Contrary reverses it, it ignores Protect, and the speed drop activates Defiant.

Also I had the text speed set to fast so I kept missing pictures, so have Ariados and Pawniard looking important in the name of science.

Well, that covers most of the special mechanics you need to know about the move. Now, all we need are the lists of those who learn this.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Being frail hasn't stopped things like Azelf before.

While I'm not saying Vivillion could be useful in higher tiers, the ability to run both Compoundeyes Sleep Powder and Sticky Web could emerge some interesting possibilities. Having STAB Bug BUzz and Hurricane doesn't exactly hurt either, so I'd use it over Ariados any day as a suicide lead.

AccidentalGreed

Assuming we're not being led on (azureAngelic will prove it right or wrong later), here's a possible set that can be used on a Pokemon other than Smeargle.

Pokemon: Vivillon

name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Hurricane / Bug Buzz
move 4: Bug Buzz / Quiver Dance
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid
ability: Compoundeyes
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Basically, the point of this set is to set up Sticky Web first and foremost, and possibly sleep something with an almost perfectly Sleep Powder (so you basically have a faster Smeargle that can't Taunt or set up other hazards). After Vivillon does either one of those tasks, go do whatever you want; you can attack or set up mono-attacking Quiver Dance, though obviously the coverage is something to be desired. 100 Special Attack and Speed is usable. Alternatively, if the opposing Pokemon is too fast, set up Quiver Dance first, then use Sleep Powder second, then Sticky Web third.

Stealth Rock is not an issue due to Vivillon being used first.

Last edited:
Yea flying types avoiding spikes, t-spikes and sticky web but being pounded hard by stealth rocks is a good trade-off I think. Kind of evens itself out in a way. If distribution is decent, then flying types may be necessary revenge killers and late game sweepers this gen since their speed will remain intact.

Powerlevelled Scatterbug to 21, no Sticky Web. Stuffed it with all my Rare Candies (saving beforehand, obviously), no Sticky Web. Let it evolve at 27, took Spewpa to the move rememeberer, no Sticky Web. It's possible it learns it at 30 or something, but I'm not finding any webs in my caterpillars.

It did learn Bug Bite at 15, though.

AccidentalGreed

Powerlevelled Scatterbug to 21, no Sticky Web. Stuffed it with all my Rare Candies (saving beforehand, obviously), no Sticky Web. Let it evolve at 27, took Spewpa to the move rememeberer, no Sticky Web. It's possible it learns it at 30 or something, but I'm not finding any webs in my caterpillars.
Looks like we were being led on after all.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Yea flying types avoiding spikes, t-spikes and sticky web but being pounded hard by stealth rocks is a good trade-off I think. Kind of evens itself out in a way. If distribution is decent, then flying types may be necessary revenge killers and late game sweepers this gen since their speed will remain intact.
levitate, though.
man, gengar's looking more ridiculous every day. maybe flygon'll even see use now, due to it being resistant to sr + immune to sticky web, despite [god, i never thought i'd say that], its dragon typing.

Soft reset to get my Rare Candies back and levelled Scatterbug to 30 manually, still hasn't learned how to shot web.

Seems like Vivillion isn't getting it after all.

Haruno

So how viable will lead Smeargle be with its new toy? I also find it really hard to believe that ariados is the only mon that learns this.

Pardon my noobness, I'm a lurker not a poster.

Just letting you guys know that Shuckle can learn this at the Move Reminder.

Perhaps since Shuckle is a tank, it will find some niche uses.

Since Drapion is one of my favorite Pokemon, I have the tools available right now to try and breed this Shuckle with a female Skorupi and see if it will pass as an egg move. I'll update soon.

Pardon my noobness, I'm a lurker not a poster.

Just letting you guys know that Shuckle can learn this at the Move Reminder.

Perhaps since Shuckle is a tank, it will find some niche uses.

Since Drapion is one of my favorite Pokemon, I have the tools available right now to try and breed this Shuckle with a female Skorupi and see if it will pass as an egg move. I'll update soon.
Oh HO. Now THIS is of interest! Shuckle still is massive taunt bait, but now he has a bigger niche in tiers!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shuckle for awesome dual hazard suicide lead in OU? Sticky Web + SR + Explosion + Custap Berry +Sturdy gogogogo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)