Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Charizard Y can take a hit better than Ninetales. It has 78/78/115 defenses to Ninetales 73/75/100. It has (slightly) better typing, having 6 resistances, with 2 4X resistances and an immunity. It's equally weak to hazards, as Charizard Y is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web. Literally the only reason to use Ninetales over Charizard Y is for a Heat Rock. Charizard Y even learns Roar, so it can fill the bulky phazer role.

When you are switching Charizard in, Politoed will need to be extremely weary of switching in, because Charizard can mega-evolve, shut down the rain, and destroy it with SolarBeam. Or if you are predicting your opponent will wait, you can set up with a Flame Charge or Dragon Dance (or any thing else without Mega-evoing)
You forgot them Sneaky Pebbles. Also, 78/78/115 is only good for Special Defense, so a stray Tyranitar/Terrakion/Lucario/Landorus/anything with neutral priority/Water type will kick his ass.
Also, Roar, which has negative priority, on Charizard?
XD

Karxrida

Coudln't miss the chance, but Assault Vest Goodra is a good counter to Mega Charizard Y and probably the only Pokemon that offensive teams can use to check Charizard Y more than once.
Just use Stealth Rock and you're good.
EDIT: Didn't realize I double posted. Sorry.

I didn't forget Stealth Rock, that's why I said equally weak. But immunities to all other hazards balances out the 4X weakness

Whether it's good for Defence or not, 78/78/115 is still better than 73/75/100. And if Roar is so bad for Charizard , why use it on Ninetales, which is less bulky and has a slightly worse typing. I'm not saying Roar should be used on all Charizards, but if you were to run a bulky set in place of Ninetales, it would be just fine.

Ninjask is skeptical of your claim.
Ninjask is terrible and therefore not worth discussing in major argument.

Blastoise got a good movepool buff and can learn Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse as well. http://i.imgur.com/itZcwkb.jpg The Mega Launcher boost (i've heard) is 50% damage boost making all those moves do 120 BP and of course his big Special Attack buff when he mega evolves. I mean, it really could be worth consideration, in lower tiers at least, where the better megas are all condemned to higher tiers.
Wait, it DOES get the three main Pulses? Well, suddenly my view of Mega Blastoise has risen signifigantly.

Ninjask is terrible and therefore not worth discussing in major argument.

Wait, it DOES get the three main Pulses? Well, suddenly my view of Mega Blastoise has risen signifigantly.
However, ML Water Pulse is basically surf with a confusion chance and without the in-game usefulness. Still hoping for Hydro Pump to get the boost

However, ML Water Pulse is basically surf with a confusion chance and without the in-game usefulness. Still hoping for Hydro Pump to get the boost
It's only "Pulse" moves (and Aura Sphere because apparently the Japanese version shares something in common with the pulse moves)

But does it work on Heal Pulse? That would be cool for Double Battles.

I still think I'll at least try out Mega Heracross. Its Attack stat (185 I believe) is monstrous and with Pin Missile I won't be worried about Megahorn missing all the time. Its kind of bulky unlike Mega Alakazam and Gengar too. I feel like it could really work with Sticky Web and / or Paralysis support. But I agree, there are certainly better Megas to be used.

I still think I'll at least try out Mega Heracross. Its Attack stat (185 I believe) is monstrous and with Pin Missile I won't be worried about Megahorn missing all the time. Its kind of bulky unlike Mega Alakazam and Gengar too. I feel like it could really work with Sticky Web and / or Paralysis support. But I agree, there are certainly better Megas to be used.
The problem is it MASSIVELY loses power compared to Guts (or Moxie, but Guts is more consistant). Maybe a bulky SD set would work, though.

You forgot them Sneaky Pebbles. Also, 78/78/115 is only good for Special Defense, so a stray Tyranitar/Terrakion/Lucario/Landorus/anything with neutral priority/Water type will kick his ass.
Also, Roar, which has negative priority, on Charizard?
XD
159 base SA, Fireblast
110 power + STAB + sunlight = 220
220 + 159 = 379
Let's say your boy has 150 Special Defense
379 - 150 = 229
How much HP does your boy have again? Thought so.

Also, water attacks get cut by sunlight. Try again?

I lowballed it by assuming that STAB and sunlight do NOT take Special Attack into account. I'll be happy to redo the calculation with them considered, because my math is one of the lowest possible damage outcomes.

In any case, get swept kids.

No Mega Scizor, Mega Aggron, or even Mega Aerodactyl. I believe all those megas are viable in a sense.

Mega Scizor can run the Bulky SD set better than regular Scizor can.

Mega Aggron loses that pesky Rock typing, gaining Filter in place, plus having higher defense. Sure no recovery, but he can pull off the whole tanking thing better than MegaSaur, due to better overall typing

I can go on

They really dropped the ball on Alakazam.

Losing Magic Guard/Focus Sash makes this one very susceptible to one hit KO's and entry hazards. Given choice scarf is relatively popular, even the average speedy Pokemon can out speed mega Alakazam and KO it.

Also sad to see Garchomp nerfed with his mega. A regular Garchomp with choice scarf/outrage seems much more viable for competitive play.

Any details on mega heracross with stat increases? With skill link, Pin Missle becomes a 125 STAB move (if he can learn it). So thats cool.

Karxrida

159 base SA, Fireblast
110 power + STAB + sunlight = 220
220 + 159 = 379
Let's say your boy has 150 Special Defense
379 - 150 = 229
How much HP does your boy have again? Thought so.

Also, water attacks get cut by sunlight. Try again?
Scarfed Terrakion/Landorus and any Tyranitar set just laugh at that.

EDIT:
The damage formula (from Bulbapedia)
The damage dealt when a Pokémon uses a damaging move depends on its Attack or Special Attack stat, the opponent's corresponding Defense or Special Defense stat, and the move's base damage. In addition, the various circumstances explained above will also affect the damage dealt.
The damage formula is the following:

• Level is the level of the attacking Pokémon.
  • Attack and Defense are the working Attack and Defense stats of the attacking and defending Pokémon, respectively. If the attack is Special, the Special Attack and Special Defense stats are used instead. Some moves like Psystrike use other stat than usually move of this category would use (in case of Psystrike, it uses Special Attack and Defense).
  • Base is the base damage of the attack.
  • Modifier is calculated as follows:

• STAB is the same-type attack bonus. This is equal to 1.5 if the attack is of the same type as the user, and 1 if otherwise.
  • Type is the type effectiveness. This can be either 0, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, or 4 depending on the type of attack and the type of the defending Pokémon.
  • Critical is 2 for a critical hit, 1 otherwise.
  • other counts for things like held items, Abilities, field advantages, and whether the battle is a Double Battle or Triple Battle or not.
  • rand is a random number from 0.85 to 1.00.
The result is rounded down as remainders are not kept. It is possible to do zero damage [1].

They really dropped the ball on Alakazam.

Losing Magic Guard/Focus Sash makes this one very susceptible to one hit KO's and entry hazards. Given choice scarf is relatively popular, even the average speedy Pokemon can out speed mega Alakazam and KO it.
No, Mega Alakazam gains a lot. You still aren't as vulnerable to entry hazards (the first switch in will have Magic Guard still, remember), you're now BLINDINGLY fast without being stuck on one move, and the power increase is comparable to a Life Orb Zam.

No, Mega Alakazam gains a lot. You still aren't as vulnerable to entry hazards (the first switch in will have Magic Guard still, remember), you're now BLINDINGLY fast without being stuck on one move, and the power increase is comparable to a Life Orb Zam.
Still is the issue of being out sped by scarfed pokemon. Even a pokemon with 80 base speed with a scarf is now faster then it. And the second big issue, it can't take a hit like with focus sash.

Nah, it definitely is too much risk. Sash/Magic Guard Zam is just safer and more well-rounded.

Still is the issue of being out sped by scarfed pokemon. Even a pokemon with 80 base speed with a scarf is now faster then it. And the second big issue, it can't take a hit like with focus sash.

Nah, it definitely is too much risk. Sash/Magic Guard Zam is just safer and more well-rounded.
And if you don't want Safe and More Well Rounded, Mega is there.

Plus, Scizor is only good as a Revenge Killer. Megazam probably doesn't even NEED HP Fire to blow that bug out of it's metal armor.

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
What about Mega Banette? Do we already know its stats? Because Prankster with all those tools sound really cool imo.

The problem is it MASSIVELY loses power compared to Guts (or Moxie, but Guts is more consistant). Maybe a bulky SD set would work, though.
Mega Heracross has about 90% the power of Guts or Moxie Heracross without needing to burn itself or kill something. It's not the best of trade-offs, but it's certainly a viable one.

Do we know the stat boosts/declines of mega heracross?

Also, in gen 5 it couldn't learn pin missle.....would kinda suck with its mega ability if it had no stab move to go with it

Do we know the stat boosts/declines of mega heracross?

Also, in gen 5 it couldn't learn pin missle.....would kinda suck with its mega ability if it had no stab move to go with it
I think it gets +60 Atk, +30 Def, +10 SpA, +10 SpD, and -10 Spe. I don't see it listed as verified anywhere big around here, though.

As for moves: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heracross.3489459/

Seems it gets both Pin Missile and Rock Blast now. Rock Blast may need more verification, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)