Battle Mechanics Research

• Auto-weather abilities: Does the weather counter reset to 5-8 if the Pokémon is switched in while the appropriate weather (rain for Drizzle, etc.) is already in effect?
No, it doesn't. Tried in wi-fi battles. Rain/Sun etc. ENDS 5-8 turns after the activation of Drizzle/Drought etc.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Phantom Force goes through King's Shield (as said in its description) and does not receive lowered Attack when it connects. Yet to test with Spiky Shield but probably the same result.

edit: presuming Phantom Force is a contact move - if it's not then this has ~no meaning

Okay I got more abilities to clarify on. It would be appreciated. ^^

Competitive:
-By how much is Special Attack is raised by this ability?
-Does it prevent stat drops?
-Is it affected by self-inflicted stat drops?
-Is it affected when fellow teammate drop this Pokemon's stats?
Stat drops are not prevented. The raise seems to be one stage.
Team-mate attacks did not activate the ability. However, the opponent activated it.
I don't know about self-inflicted.
I think my post on this was in the other thread?
Anyway, that's what I found out.

I was in the Battle Institute and brought a Lickylicky down to ~80% HP with Avalanche, and it ate a berry whose name I didn't recognise that boosted defense.

tested out cheek pouches bunnelby with oran berry ingame. bunnelby had 45 maximum hp. zangoose knocked bunnelby down to 19 hp, oran berry healed bunnelby up to 29, and then cheek pouches healed bunnelby up to 44 hp.

what we can conclude from this:
  • Cheek Pouches heal stacks with Oran Berry
  • Cheek Pouches heals 33% HP when it activates (at least when Bunnelby consumes an Oran Berry)
not sure if the hp healed differs depending on the berry the cheek pouch pokemon consumes. i doubt it but it's something to test

Entered the Battle Institute again, this time armed with a Frisk Pumpkaboo.

Found a Honchkrow holding a Kee berry. Hit it with Shadow Sneak, the Kee Berry raised its Defense.

Entered the Battle Institute again, this time armed with a Frisk Pumpkaboo.

Found a Honchkrow holding a Kee berry. Hit it with Shadow Sneak, the Kee Berry raised its Defense.
What if you hit it with a special move? Would it raise SpD?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Question on Mega Tyranitar/Abomasnow: does mega evolving reset the weather counter? I doubt it will seeing the above post about switching in weather mons a second time, but I figured I'd ask.

Also do the weather turns run out while a Cloud Nine / Air Lock Pokemon is on the field or is it paused?

Question on Mega Tyranitar/Abomasnow: does mega evolving reset the weather counter? I doubt it will seeing the above post about switching in weather mons a second time, but I figured I'd ask.
The official site of Pokémon X/Y about Mega-Tyranitar:

"If an opponent changes the weather condition during a battle, you can Mega Evolve Tyranitar and bring back the sandstorm to help sustain it in battle".

No mention to a second activation. So, it doesn't reset the counter like Drizzle with Rain and Drought with Sun...there's no reason to think that Sand Stream is an exception, imho.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking about the following scenario: Tyranitar is sent out, weather is sand for 5 turns. Turn 4, Tyranitar mega-evolves. Are there 5 more turns of sand or just 1?

Can you actually confirm this in-game and post your results?
I'll do. Sorry, i've tried only with Drought. (Mega-Zard Y -> Drought, Sun for 5 turns. Switch-out. Switch-in of Mega-Zard at turn 4, turn 5 sunlight faded. I know it's different to Mega-Tyranitar but i don't think we will have any expections) :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Has anyone checked to see how Gale Wing interacts with Quick Guard?

Does it work like it does against Prankster (Not stopping them)? Does it now block all (boosted) priority?

The official site of Pokémon X/Y about Mega-Tyranitar:

"If an opponent changes the weather condition during a battle, you can Mega Evolve Tyranitar and bring back the sandstorm to help sustain it in battle".

No mention to a second activation. So, it doesn't reset the counter like Drizzle with Rain and Drought with Sun...there's no reason to think that Sand Stream is an exception, imho.
This obviously means that if the opponent doesn't change it, and it simply runs out, that it can also be re-activated for another 5 turns upon Mega evolving, I would assume.

Because Play Nice goes through Protect/Spiky Shield, I decided to test Confide. I can confirm that Confide also goes through Protect and Spiky Shield. Plus can confirm

Edit: With Plus, we went through Screech and Growl and those don't go through Protect/Spiky Shield. For now, this is exclusive to Confide/Play Nice

Last edited:
Because Play Nice goes through Protect/Spiky Shield, I decided to test Confide. I can confirm that Confide also goes through Protect and Spiky Shield. Plus can confirm

Edit: With Plus, we went through Screech and Growl and those don't go through Protect/Spiky Shield. For now, this is exclusive to Confide/Play Nice
Apologies for not testing this myself, but I have a feeling Scary Face bypasses Protect. It got an accuracy change from 100 to --.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I'm not sure why I thought its accuracy was now --, but it's actually still 100.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I heard Trick Room has +0 priority. Is this confirmed?

Also, since Confide and Play Nice are both Fairy-type moves and they pierce Protect, maybe you should test other Fairy attacks?

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Parental Bond activates Rough Skin twice with contact moves.

Also Parental Bond has a chance to activate status effects. i.e. Dizzy Punch confusing on the 2nd hit.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Raseri and I did some tests and can confirm a few things.

Has anyone checked to see how Gale Wing interacts with Quick Guard?

Does it work like it does against Prankster (Not stopping them)? Does it now block all (boosted) priority?
Quick Guard blocks all targeting Flying-type moves from a Pokemon with Gale Wing (tested with Peck).

I heard Trick Room has +0 priority. Is this confirmed?

Also, since Confide and Play Nice are both Fairy-type moves and they pierce Protect, maybe you should test other Fairy attacks?
Trick Room is still -7 priority (maybe lower? probably not though). A Mr. Mime used it after a slower Zweilous used Roar.

Edit: I forgot to mention - we confirmed Gale Wings is also a +1 boost, just like Prankster.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)