XY Experiences

The sheer amount of Pokemon in this game is amazing. I have never caught or wanted to use so many Pokemon in all my life.
This is interesting considering there are only about 70 new pokes. Personally, I don't like to use any old Pokemon during my first playthrough of a game (what's the point? There's NEW pokes to try!), so I kind of miss the all-new feel of BW. That was a really great idea that did wonders for gen V, which is still my favorite gen so far (but I'm only about halfway through Y).

Now, whenever I see an old poke, I just ignore it. I have no desire to catch it, unless it's one of my particular favorites (like Dunsparce), but I would never actually use one because that would mean giving up a spot in my party where a new poke could be.

All that said, I agree that I do find myself wanting to use all kinds of Pokemon, and not feeling like a party of six is enough. There may only be 70 new pokes, but they're GREAT. Easily some of the strongest designs of any gen. So I'm not complaining really, but I do wish there were more like 100.

Haven't had any problems with HMs so far as I've kept an HM slave Linoone for Cut, Strength, and Rock Smash (I know that's a TM), and both my Greninja and Heliolisk know Surf, while I gave Hawlucha Fly. In-game (which is all I care about during my first playthrough), Fly is actually a pretty good move because the AI is rarely smart enough to counter it, so I don't mind giving it to one of the main pokes in my party. Then I'm sure I'll give Waterfall to Greninja and somehow manage with whatever other HMs there happen to be.

Favorite things:

1. The amount of pokemon available to catch is amazing.
2. The TM list is awesome.
3. The story is more mature and darker

Least favorite things:

1. Difficulty is too easy.
2. The postgame seems lackluster right now.

My first complaint is a little my own fault. I did use a pretty powerful team for the most part (Didn't use megastones for important battles though) I could have swapped out a few stronger pokemon to make the game more challenging. However, the goal of a video game company shouldn't be to force their consumers to handicap themselves to make the game more challenging. Next time, I'm gonna choose a weaker team. My elite four team was:

1. Lvl 67 Greninja: Surf, Extrasensory, Ice Beam, Substitute
2. Lvl 68 Venusaur: Venoshock, Petal Dance, Synthesis, Hidden Power Fire (Got lucky)
3. Lvl 69 Sylveon: Calm Mind, Refresh, Moonblast, Draining Kiss
4. Lvl 60 Garchomp: Swords Dance, Dragon Claw, Dig, Crunch
5. Lvl 60 Miltank: Milk Drink, Powerup Punch, Body Slam, Zen Headbutt
6. Lvl 58 Pangoro: Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Surf

I've gotten my 3rd badge so far almost at the 4th gym.

Current Likes:

-Very, very wide pokemon availability. I've found myself switching pokemon in and out, doing a half-blind run.
-EXP share for allowing me to use numerous pokemon so efficiently (for exploring the game)
-Level Curve (the exp share is part of the blame, but my pokes are in the high or low 30's after 3 gyms). I am looking forward to my first run w/o the EXP share
-Wonder trades seem pretty cool. Haven't used it much, but I imagine it being fun for people (Wonder Trade run anyone??)

Current Dislikes:

-Gyms so far have been seriously underwhelming (albeit, 3 gyms so far, but the rock and fighting one were pathetic)
-Battle animations. This is a mixed bag for me. I don't mind animations like bite or scratch, but the pokemon's motions often don't correlate at all. One key example is Kangaskhan throwing a punch when he uses bite. This is nothing that discourages me from playing XY, but I'm currently liking the Gen IV/V battle scenes better (I'd rather not see the pokemon try to make the connecting motions)
-Overcompensation for Horde battles. The supremely low levels are one thing, but you almost never get attacked. I tried catching a Zangoose, but all the other pokemon were Sevipers and insisted on attacking it. I guess that's the challenge?

I'm still finding myself wanting to keep playing the game. I've logged about 13 hours and only have 3 badges. Maybe some opinions of mind will change as I play.

Edit: Oh yeah, my team so far (can't remember the levels):

-Chesnaught (has been very solid)
-Talonflame (has been very solid)
-Floette (seriously underwhelming so far)
-Kangaskhan (Ol' reliable)
-Stunky (underwhelming, waiting for lv 37)
-Lapras (Just got him, but is very solid to start. Surf, Body Slam, and Ice beam 2 lvls later. Also leftovers is nearby)

Team is subject to change.

Last edited:
Now that I actually have money I decided to buy some good clothes. Ended up dropping 300K at Lumiose, but I ain't even mad. I mean, what else am I gonna spend it on? It's not like I need to buy Proteins and stuff anymore.

I restarted the game because I enjoyed it so much. I also get the chance to use a new variety of pokemon.

My team is

Litleo lvl 17
Bunnelby lvl 17
Vivillon lvl 17
Skiddo lvl 12
Furfrou lvl 11
Butterfree lvl 11

I'm going to use Espurr and Inkay later on. I'll also put an Axew in the daycare and take it out once I get fly so it'll be a high level.

I just beat the 6th gym and defeated Team Flare at the Pokeball Factory.
One thing is surprising is how easy it is to level pokemon because the redesigned exp share. I actually turned it off because I thought I was going through the game too quickly. Even without the exp share, it seems like the experience points were increased from Black and White. It seems to be taking a lot less time then it normally takes me, unless I am doing a speed run.
Here is my current team:
Lanayru the Vibrava lv 43: Dig, Crunch, Fly, Dragon Breath
Pearl the Aurorus lv 46: Avalanche, Round, Ancient Power, Protect
Genesis the Sylveon lv 45: Moonblast, Quick Attack, Bite, Return
Serenity the Lucario lv 47: Swords Dance, Aura Sphere, Strength, Power-up punch
Kursk the Blastoise lv 46: Surf, Aqua tail, Power-up punch, Bite
Ultia the Delphox lv 49: Psyshock, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, Protect

I have taken out a few along the way, including a Meowstic named Divinity. I actually took it out of my team when I learned that Delphox was a fire-psychic type. I wanted each pokemon to have a unique typing so I took out Meowstic.
I actually have both X and Y. I purchased Pokemon Y and won a contest for Pokemon X. The one I am currently playing is Y. I will use Y for competitive play and X for amusement. This is the first time I have owned the both games of the original pair for a generation.

Last edited:
I've gotten my 3rd badge so far almost at the 4th gym.

~snip
Team is subject to change.
Seriously, when you get Moonblast on Floette and/or get past the 6th Gym (So you get the TM for Dazzling Gleam), evolve it with a Shiny Stone. Florges absolutely wrecks everything that doesn't resist it.

Honestly the Exp Share is ridiculous.
Admittedly I have been collecting pokemon like crazy and am up to BOX 7 (!!) in my PC but I'm in Victory Road with a full team of 6 mons in their 70's!

I'm playing Y and have X to get through after, I think it will definitely be with Exp Share OFF.

So I just spent the last hour entering 74 friend codes from this spreadsheet, only to have 74 provisionally registered friends. Friend Safari doesn't work off provisional friends, so I want to remind everyone you have to add everyone else's codes in order for them to register. I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have the chance to catch a starter with it's' Hidden Ability, two guaranteed perfect IVs and increased odds of a shiny.

Last edited:
Currently in front of Victory Road, able to enter. Team is...

Lv51 Chesnaught @ Leftovers, Leech Seed | Spiky Shield | Seed Bomb | Low Sweep
Lv52 Charizard @ Charizardite X, Flamethrower | Dragon Claw | Fly | Strength
Lv50 Clawitzer @ Splash Plate, Surf | Water Pulse | Aura Sphere | Dark Pulse
Lv50 Heliolisk @ Rocky Helmet, Thunderbolt | Cut | Surf | Thunder Wave
Lv51 Gardevoir @ Amulet Coin, Calm Mind | Psychic | Moonblast | Thunderbolt
Lv51 Doublade @ Eviolite, Swords Dance | Shadow Sneak | Iron Head | Sacred Sword

I Super-Trained so they have good EV biases, but it's nothing fancy and they still have some trash EVs. Natures are random, but interestingly enough I got a female Mild Charmander my first try. Cut on Heliolisk used to be Hyper Beam (which actually works well (better than Razor Wind, anyway) and is coming back for the Elite Four).

Chesnaught straight up does not die. He's survived Houndoom Flamethrower, Aurorus Ice Beam, some random Aerial Aces, you name it. Leftovers, Leech Seed, and Spiky Shield are a great combo, and he's powerful enough to be fine with unboosted(ing?) STAB moves. Low Sweep is my Fighting move of choice because of its combination of immediate power (better than Power-Up Punch) and Speed control (the opposite of Hammer Arm and more useful than Brick Break). He's remained a reliable teammate throughout, despite the last few Gyms and much of Team Flare shitting on him in theory. I don't really have much to say about the rest of the team other than they're pretty dope.

I turned the Exp. Share off as soon as possible, and I haven't done any significant grinding outside of bringing new members up to par with everyone else. One thing I really like so far is, as some people already mentioned, the Exp. Share-less level curve. Through the entire game, I've been around the level of the wild Pokemon and a few levels below Gym Leaders and single-Pokemon random trainers, which has made the game slightly more challenging than the average main series game. Still, all the leaders have been pushovers for the most part. Ramos was the toughest for me; I think Korrina could have been a problem if I didn't have Honedge. I'm still really underleveled for Wulfric, but MegaZard X took him down in three turns...I'm seriously considering a bit of grinding before heading into Victory Road. Perhaps I should check out all the waterfalls in Kalos first?

General likes:
-music, especially encounters and Team Flare
-Lysandre, much more than Team Flare
-loads of variety, although I haven't taken advantage of it
-pacing
-diagonal/free-form movement
-3D models; it feels almost like Colo/XD
-hilarious dialogue (I died at "It's ir-regal")
-riding Skiddo, so fun
-Augustine Sycamore for having a badass name and being a badass

General dislikes:
-gyms: very little characterization of leaders, not enough Pokemon, too easy
-bumping into stuff on roller skates and not being able to go around it easily
-

I'm trying to think of something else I dislike but I keep adding to the list of likes, so...

ill be adding some people from that spreadsheet as well, so if you get random requests its probably me

edit: actually im lazy. if you friend me just pm me and ill be glad to return the favor :)

Last edited:
Seriously, when you get Moonblast on Floette and/or get past the 6th Gym (So you get the TM for Dazzling Gleam), evolve it with a Shiny Stone. Florges absolutely wrecks everything that doesn't resist it.
Don't worry, I plan to wait it out for him.

My floette is around lv 32 with Petal Blizzard, so it has become more bearable.

I decided to try out Super Training last night and I'm hooked. Had to EV train a bunch of my Pokemon (most of my team had a lot of junk EVs, but for in-game, who cares?). Super Secret Training looks like fun, but I'm saving that til later. My only (sometimes big) gripe is that they are no options to change the controls, so I'm stuck looking feeble trying to use the stylus with my right hand. Would have been nice if they let you use ABXY for movement. It takes some practice but it's not horribly difficult at least. The stages where the targets move around a lot (fucking Tentacruel) are really difficult for me though. Ultimately, I still have a lot of fun with it.

Going to delve more into Pokemon Amie tomorrow. Does anyone know if visitor Pokemon do anything? Can I get them to participate in any of the games?

I've gotten my 5th gym badge recently as well. Clemont was really easy. Captured a Karrablast and Goomy (in a Dive Ball! so pretty) which I've added to my main rotation. If anyone could help me evolve Karrablast that would be fantastic.

My team, currently exploring route 14:
- Greninja 39
- Lucario 44
- Meowstic 45
- Granbull 42
- Karrablast 30
- Goomy 32

I've become attached to Cait (my Granbull) and it's become part of my main squad now. Finally it has a Fairy type attack move. Karrablast / Goomy / Hawlucha must fight to fill the last 2 spots (and anything else I catch that interests me!). My team is slowly melding together. I've more or less dropped Talonflame after gym #4.

Don't worry, I plan to wait it out for him.

My floette is around lv 32 with Petal Blizzard, so it has become more bearable.
I think I evolved mine around Lv.45, but it got Moonblast a few levels later apparently. ಠ_ಠ

Oh well, I taught it Dazzling Gleam and it was fine, my moveset was Aromatherapy, Petal Blizzard, Dazzling Gleam and Wish.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just caught a shiny Frogadier while hitting up the Friend Safari for a good one with Protean!

Great IVs... although it's relaxed. Still, today was a good day.

Swap friend codes as much as you can!

I'm having way more fun on my second playthrough. I'm not using overpowered stuff like Lucario or Mega Charizard and I'm trying to be underleveled. Gym fights are way more fun/intense if you aren't ten levels higher lol. Meowstic and Malamar are my favorites. Contrary reverses charm, sand attack, screech etc. which is amazing.

So at first I was bummed that the daycare guy didn't seem to flag you down if you had an egg appear like he did in Black/White 2.

Then I realized he faces away from the daycare whenever there's an egg, otherwise he's looking towards the daycare. Neat!

ev trained my very first 6th gen poke-Yveltal! :D Ev training is crazy easy and smooth this gen took me 30 min to max it out no problem. Super training is a godsend, going to ev train my event torchic next.

So I just spent the last hour entering 74 friend codes from this spreadsheet, only to have 74 provisionally registered friends. Friend Safari doesn't work off provisional friends, so I want to remind everyone you have to add everyone else's codes in order for them to register. I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have the chance to catch a starter with it's' Hidden Ability, two guaranteed perfect IVs and increased odds of a shiny.
I decided to try out Super Training last night and I'm hooked. Had to EV train a bunch of my Pokemon (most of my team had a lot of junk EVs, but for in-game, who cares?). Super Secret Training looks like fun, but I'm saving that til later. My only (sometimes big) gripe is that they are no options to change the controls, so I'm stuck looking feeble trying to use the stylus with my right hand. Would have been nice if they let you use ABXY for movement. It takes some practice but it's not horribly difficult at least. The stages where the targets move around a lot (fucking Tentacruel) are really difficult for me though. Ultimately, I still have a lot of fun with it.

Going to delve more into Pokemon Amie tomorrow. Does anyone know if visitor Pokemon do anything? Can I get them to participate in any of the games?

I've gotten my 5th gym badge recently as well. Clemont was really easy. Captured a Karrablast and Goomy (in a Dive Ball! so pretty) which I've added to my main rotation. If anyone could help me evolve Karrablast that would be fantastic.

My team, currently exploring route 14:
- Greninja 39
- Lucario 44
- Meowstic 45
- Granbull 42
- Karrablast 30
- Goomy 32

I've become attached to Cait (my Granbull) and it's become part of my main squad now. Finally it has a Fairy type attack move. Karrablast / Goomy / Hawlucha must fight to fill the last 2 spots (and anything else I catch that interests me!). My team is slowly melding together. I've more or less dropped Talonflame after gym #4.
Yea i feel ya, Im left handed as well, so awkward holding the stylus in my right hand D:

Now that I actually have money I decided to buy some good clothes. Ended up dropping 300K at Lumiose, but I ain't even mad. I mean, what else am I gonna spend it on? It's not like I need to buy Proteins and stuff anymore.
how did u manage to get in the Lumiose store? chick wont let me in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)