Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

I have a question. Why are we making gen 6 sprite when there clearly exist official sprite for gen 6 pokemon (see serebii)? Don't get me wrong, I love all the artwork so far, but wouldn't people rather used the official art?

Gen 6 no longer uses sprites, but rather 3D models. They're different. Additionally, they're a lot bigger. And I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's harder to rip a 3D model's animation compared to ripping an animated sprite.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some of the rips on serebii just don't look good. The biggest issue being they were ripped from the pokedex which has a really bad square overlay 'screen'. We knew what we were signing up for with the 3D models from experience with how people ripped the images for coloseum and stadium.

In the end I'm confident this will look much better overall.

Hey guys, I thought I'd post my Honedge's backsprite shiny while I'm working on the animations so we could at least use it onsim.

Edit I brought over the front sprite for comparison.

Last edited:
Alright, so I did some QC on Quanyails's Heliolisk sprite, as while I was making shiny sprites for it, I noticed that it was missing the orange solar power-whatever band on its tail, so I went ahead and added that, as you can see here:

I also have a front/back shiny for it, as seen here:

I still have to make a small change to the back sprite, but I thought I'd just put it here for now. Also, if nobody minds, I might try to work on shiny sprites for Phantump/Trevenant after that.

Some alterations to the mega amphy back. Tail should be in proper perspective now and hair tweaks. Front seems great and doesn't seem to need tweaks. I'm not sure I can call this done yet so can other folks look it over first.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I think that the old version of the tail is better. On regular Ampharos, they're at completely different angles from the front and back (unlike the arms, which should be the same from front to back), so it matches up better with the original sprite. The up-pointing tail still works, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

here's my mega heracross hope you like it
View attachment 2243
No idea what the size on the thing is, so I'll let other people judge that. The main issue I have with it is the shading on the main horn seems a little odd. Most sprites typically don't have such an elongated island of highlight, and it make it look strange. I'd try playing with it a bit or maybe just remove the brightest highlight layer on the main horn. Other than that, maybe you could round out the left (our right) shoulder a bit more where it connects to the body, as it has one really straight line in the curve that bothers me. Aside from those slight nitpicks, it looks good to me.

No idea what the size on the thing is, so I'll let other people judge that. The main issue I have with it is the shading on the main horn seems a little odd. Most sprites typically don't have such an elongated island of highlight, and it make it look strange. I'd try playing with it a bit or maybe just remove the brightest highlight layer on the main horn. Other than that, maybe you could round out the left (our right) shoulder a bit more where it connects to the body, as it has one really straight line in the curve that bothers me. Aside from those slight nitpicks, it looks good to me.
thanks axl for your feed back here I edited it, and I think it looks better so here
mega harecross.png

So, as I said earlier, I have made a shiny sprite for Phantump.

Expect a shiny back sprite for Phantump/shiny sprites for Trevenant soon.

Putting off Talonflame for now. I did QC for the current Sylveon by Layell and Wyv (yes, I realize that this is QC of QC).

OLD

NEW

The new palette has 11 colours including transparency. The pinks were from Corsola, the whites/greys from Blissey, and the blues from Vaporeon and Glaceon.

I hope that the edit is alright. Comments?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice stuff with the smaller bow and smile, the ribbon does attach a bit lower on the left of the frontsprite. It's always nice to have someone take a second look at some of our earlier sprites.

I modified the palette slightly so that they aren't direct colour rips but it's all well and similar, along with those changes

Alright, I see what you mean with the ribbon. That's awesome, thanks. However, I edited my post after initially posting and added newer versions of both the front and back sprite (front sprite now has the tip of the tail, and I fixed the side of the head on the back sprite). So you edited the older version. I'm sorry. D: Will you fix it or should I...?

Also, I thought that direct colour rips were better because they seemed more "official" that way. My bad.

I have a question: what exactly do "L ready" and "W ready" mean on the spreadsheet? I guess that they refer to animation, but I was curious.

EDIT:

Heracross still has awkward shading, especially on the horn. Plus the outlines seem to be mostly one color...? The highlight shouldn't be smack in the middle like that, it looks really awkward. And certain parts of the outline should be a dark blue instead of black, particularly the parts where there's highlights. I dunno, it just seems like the shading and highlights are really awkward to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)