Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sticky Web
20----The user weaves a sticky net around the opposing team, which lowers their Speed stat upon switching into battle.

So it seems like a new entry hazard in a sense and it also gives you a massive advantage over your opponent if you keep it on their side without it being on your own. Atm we don't know what learns it bar smeargle but something tells me this is another fun new toy it gets. Any thoughts on it?
At first I thought it would be terrible - "no damage or status? WTF?!" - but now that I think about it, this could be REALLY important for balancing out the metagame. Almost every sweeper relies totally on their speed stat being high enough to outspeed and take down the opposition, Priority users the sole exceptions. Alakazam thinks he can sweep you? Now its outsped by Lucario. Greninja thinks he can outspeed your spinner? Starmie's now the one laughing. This thing could have massive consequences for hyper-offense teams and revenge killing Scarfers, which now lose the advantage they rely on the most. Heck, Bulky Offensive or semi-stall might become the go-to team type solely by virtue of this move.

On the other hand, if it is on the opposing side and not yours, it gives YOUR hyper-offense the time to shine with sets previously forgotten because of annoying speed tiers, such as Nasty Plot Lucario, Dragon Dance T-tar and Staraptor. Providing Spider Web affects ALL opposing Pokemon like Sr does (as opposed to Spikes / T-spikes), this thing will certainly be a very important move that can change the outcome of a match easily.

EDIT: It seems it only affects grounded Pokemon, which makes sense of course. Hey, this is good news for Mega Charizard X/Y, Staraptor, and the Lati twins.

So if this is the case, Scarfers like Latios will still be quite popular. Others like Keldeo and Terrakion will definitely see less play and will rely on different sets like Specs/Band or set up ones. Speed control is going to REALLY neat.

Gengar will also have a much easier time spin blocking against Starmie too. When Star comes in, it's speed will drop so this means Gengar will outspeed and kill it/force it out.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, this seems almost too ridiculous honestly. Everything relies on and revolves around Speed. We traditionally EV Speed even down to single 1 digit stats. For an entry hazard to disrupt almost an entire team's Speed is insane. If it works the way we think it does, I hope there are Pokemon that can absorb it upon switch-in (like Toxic Spikes).

It creates an interesting dynamic with stall though--

-on one hand, playing an all-slow, defensive team means you don't have to worry about Sticky Web as much

-However, if you run an all defensive team, it also means you stand to benefit from Sticky Web much less (you still can't outspeed many faster pokes even with it down).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Honestly, I think this is on a much more disruptive level from SR.

Sticky Web is a huge boon to the pokes like the Latis, Gengar, Salamence, Gyarados, Hydreigon, the Kamis, Moltres, Charizard, Ho-Oh, Talonflame, and Shaymin-S (I know I missed some up in Ubers).

With Sticky Web up, all of their Sweeping potential is much higher, and they won't have to worry about setting up or scarfing as much as they would w/o Sticky Web.

My planned team is kind of built around Sticky Web

Galvantula(Maybe Scizor on the very off chance that it gets Sticky Web)
Aegislash
Hydreigon(I definitely had to use it now that a Sticky Web is here, and it has a Ghost/Steel type to work with)
Gengar>Mega Gengar
Clear Body Tentacruel
And Gliscor.

Hydreigon is my favorite Dark type, but its speed was awful with no way to increase it, and I hate using Choice Items. There was literally no way I wasn't gonna include Sticky Web. Cool thing is none of my Pokemon except for Galvantula cares about my opponents Sticky Web.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Sticky Web is a huge boon to the pokes like the Latis, Gengar, Salamence, Gyarados, Hydreigon, the Kamis, Moltres, Charizard, Ho-Oh, Talonflame, and Shaymin-S (I know I missed some up in Ubers).
GL setting this move up in Ubers lol. Considering this move is only going to be seen on Galvantula and mayyybeeeee Smeargle I really doubt that Spider Web on Spider Web will be a common sight.

Would this be the right thread to discuss the use of Sticky Web on Shuckle? As far as 'suicide leads' go, Shuckle can now do the same thing that Skarmory and Forretress do.

Shuckle @ Custap Berry/Mental Herb
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off
- Toxic/Encore

Lead with Shuckle, set up SR and then set up SW. Custap Berry has it uses on the shucks due to the fact that it can often come in on a fairly strong hit, take SR damage and still survive with under 33% HP. Mental Herb on the other hand guarantees at least one hazard being set up. The moveset is pretty obvious, with Knock Off being there for utility, and Toxic and Encore being some insurance against pokemon that want to set up on you. Encore in particular would be useful if something like Aegislash tries to set up on you, while Toxic is the more offensive option.

GL setting this move up in Ubers lol. Considering this move is only going to be seen on Galvantula and mayyybeeeee Smeargle I really doubt that Spider Web on Spider Web will be a common sight.
Shuckle could use it up in ubers. It wouldn't be the most useful thing, but it wouldn't be KO'ed easily, that's for sure.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this seems almost too ridiculous honestly. Everything relies on and revolves around Speed. We traditionally EV Speed even down to single 1 digit stats. For an entry hazard to disrupt almost an entire team's Speed is insane. If it works the way we think it does, I hope there are Pokemon that can absorb it upon switch-in (like Toxic Spikes).

It creates an interesting dynamic with stall though--

-on one hand, playing an all-slow, defensive team means you don't have to worry about Sticky Web as much

-However, if you run an all defensive team, it also means you stand to benefit from Sticky Web much less (you still can't outspeed many faster pokes even with it down).

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Honestly, I think this is on a much more disruptive level from SR.
I think you are exaggerating Chou. Don't forget that Flying, Levitate, and Clear Body Pokemon are immune to it and there are even ways to use this move against its user with the most notable being Contrary Serperior, which is a scary late game sweeper with +1 Speed and the ability to switch moves. Other options are Malamar and Bisharp (makes up for the Speed loss with priority) but we don't know how viable those Pokemon will be in the new metagame. Lastly and most importantly, this move has very sparse distribution, mostly Bug-types that weren't even viable in OU in 5th gen. Is Sticky Web a metagame defining move? Sure. Can it be more centralizing and influential than Stealth Rock, they way things are now (limited distribution)? I don't think so.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
alexwolf has Contrary Serperior showed up in the Friend Safari? It's already pretty good with Leaf Storm but Spider Web could propel it even further.

I think you are exaggerating Chou. Don't forget that Flying, Levitate, and Clear Body Pokemon are immune to it and there are even ways to use this move against its user with the most notable being Contrary Serperior, which is a scary late game sweeper with +1 Speed and the ability to switch moves. Lastly and most importantly, this move has very sparse distribution, mostly Bug-types that weren't even viable in OU in 5th gen.
Also don't forget their will be many pokemon that simply don't care at all about the speed drop. Lots of Mega's Like M-Garchomp, Tyrannitar, Aggron, Mawile, are going to be using brute force anyways and don't care about speed drops since anything they hit will either be dead or nearly dead and anything that comes out will likely not be able to KO them unless they are severely weakened.

And don't forget about Magic Bounce Pokemon, especially Mega-Absol.

And of course as always, you can just spin it away. Scarf Starmie would work.

On a side note, I'd disagree with Galvantula not being viable in OU last gen. He made a great revenge killer.

I was just testing out my planned team on Showdown, and oh my God. Thanks to Sticky Web Mega Blaziken just became a joke to me, and I laughed in the face of Mega Mewtwo Y.

Officially my favorite move.

Aerodactyl should definitely so some good. I think it would be smarter to just go with an attacking move, since there is no reason for galvantula to stay.

Aerodactyl should definitely so some good. I think it would be smarter to just go with an attacking move, since there is no reason for galvantula to stay.
If it has a Focus Sash it can stay in and Sticky Web on the attack or it could OHKO with Thunder on the Taunt. It all comes down to prediction, there.

If it has a Focus Sash it can stay in and Sticky Web on the attack or it could OHKO with Thunder on the Taunt. It all comes down to prediction, there.
Arming itself with a Focus Sash would make Aerodactyl safe to Taunt and then either OHKO or set up Rocks of its own. It'd have to be a dedicated suicide lead rather than going Mega, but that seems like a legitimate enough use of Aerodactyl once again.

Lead Terrakion and a spinner could always be an answer, though not exactly a perfect one. If Terra and Galvantula both lead, Terra could shoot off a stone edge to OHKO, possibly before Galvantula can sticky web (both have 108 Spd), and if Galvantula is carrying a focus sash, then quick attack. After Galvantula is eliminated SR can be set up and a spinner can be brought in if sticky web was set.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you are exaggerating Chou. Don't forget that Flying, Levitate, and Clear Body Pokemon are immune to it and there are even ways to use this move against its user with the most notable being Contrary Serperior, which is a scary late game sweeper with +1 Speed and the ability to switch moves. Other options are Malamar and Bisharp (makes up for the Speed loss with priority) but we don't know how viable those Pokemon will be in the new metagame. Lastly and most importantly, this move has very sparse distribution, mostly Bug-types that weren't even viable in OU in 5th gen. Is Sticky Web a metagame defining move? Sure. Can it be more centralizing and influential than Stealth Rock, they way things are now (limited distribution)? I don't think so.
The fact that it doesn't work on those Pokemon screws up the balance more-- affecting the relationship between those Mons and affected mons.

But what WILL stop Sticky Web is the lack of viability of the known users. Shuckle, Galvantula, and Ariados aren't all going to be storming the metagame, no matter how great their move is.

(watch them make this a tutor move in Z.)

Also, I've been considering a Custap Berry Sticky Web/Stealth Rock/Power Trick/Explosion Shuckle, just for fun.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
But what WILL stop Sticky Web is the lack of viability of the known users. Shuckle, Galvantula, and Ariados aren't all going to be storming the metagame, no matter how great their move is.
Honestly... we'll see about that. Speed tiers have always been crucial. This move looks to be so important, I feel like these guys (and don't forget Smeargle) WILL storm the metagame if the name of the game turns into "Sticky Web or Bust".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)