(In-game question) Do Baby Pokemon always have 3 perfect IVs?

The Judge in the Pokemon Center town you get access to after beating the Elite Four. EDIT: Got ninja'd on this. XD Also the Judge in this gen also tells you if you have any bad IVs (lowest possible I guess?)

Also Budew caught, also had 3 perfect IVs

So it looks like the baby perfect three IVs is holding true. However from what I can tell (at least from Serebii's information) that's all the baby's captureable in the wild (minus Togepi who's apparently in a Friend Safari, but I can't check that).

Current list:
Azurill
Riolu
Mime Jr
Mantyke
Smoochum
Chingling
Budew

Would be great if people could check some of the later entries to that list, I've only been able to get one or two of those so far so it's is still technically possible that they were just a statistical anomaly.

Last edited:
Well, same for me.

In my case, I have 1 azurril with 4 ivs (Attack, defense, Special Attack and Speed).
My Mewtwo (Hasty Nature) = Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense.
Riolu = HP, Defense, Speed.

Yeah, baby and legendaries are Overpowered.

:)

Not sure the easiest way to confirm it, I've caught the easy access legendaries already (Xerneas and Mewtwo) and they both have 3 perfect stats. I can try a few runs on the Z legendary (forgotten the name) when I get to him I guess? But seems like a number of people are reporting the 3 perfects on legendarys as well.

I can confirm that the Togepi I just caught a Friend Safari, does indeed have three maxed IV's. That could as well be a coinscidence seeing that two of these are forced due to Friend Safari, I might check this up later.

This is seriously HUUUGE :P

I have a theory that this happens with pokemon that are unable to breed, not because they are babies. This is why lengendaries and baby-pokemon both have more than 3 perfect IV's, when caught. I just caught a Nidorina, to test this theory, and it did indeed have 3 perfect IV's.
This is a list of pokemon that are unable to breed: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/egg/noeggs.shtml
I wondered about this since I used that list initially to find the location of the babies I knew about. Good to know that it seems to hold true. Gives it a more plausible basis as well.

Setotus: That's for checking that! Yes two are forced, but it does fall into line with the other Pokemon in the No Eggs group so it's likely not a coincidence.

Can you guys confirm if this also affects legendaries?
I actually SRed for a decent Yveltal (such a horrible thing to spend the night on) and Metalkid's calc told me that they all had at least triple 30-31s. I'm certain I caught him well over twenty times.

Now I want a friend with togepi/baby snorlax. Could anyone confirm that it's always 3 IVs in the Friend Safari?

btw:

I feel that IVs are not set randomly in the Friend Safari, when I was grinding for my Fraxure, almost 40% of them had 31 Atk/HP, now that I'm catching all the Gyarados I can, I feel like a lot of them have 31 Speed/SpA, does anyone feel the same?

Last edited:
I think the Friend Safari is always 2 IVs but it seems the babies overwrite that and get three (at least from Setotus' comments).

Do we know if Munchlax can appear in the Friend Safari? The only baby that is listed on Serebii as being able to appear is Togepi.

EDIT: Apparently Riolu can be found in the Friend Safari as well, but is less notable as he can also be caught in the wild normally.

I'd like to see if the hypothesis that unbreedable pokes have 3 maxed IVs is true. Can anyone check others, like Carbink?

Throwing my hat in the ring as well. Caught three Azurill and a Riolu on Route 22, and all of them had 3 perfect IVs. We've had >10 people report this now, so I highly doubt this is coincidence.

Interestingly, two of my Azurill had max HP/Atk/SpAtk. Going to test this more.

Now I want a friend with togepi/baby snorlax. Could anyone confirm that it's always 3 IVs in the Friend Safari?

btw:

I feel that IVs are not set randomly in the Friend Safari, when I was grinding for my Fraxure, almost 40% of them had 31 Atk/HP, now that I'm catching all the Gyarados I can, I feel like a lot of them have 31 Speed/SpA, does anyone feel the same?
I think this applies for wild Pokes too. Over at Nugget Bridge, mattj is saying that he kept getting Def and Spe on his Yveltal ~50% of the time (http://nuggetbridge.com/forums/topic/1513-pokémon-x-y-pre-release-thread/?p=48403). Plus, here's 10 Azurill I caught. As you can see, 80% had HP, 40% had HP / Atk / SpA.

1: HP / Atk/ Spe
2: HP / Atk / Def / Spe
3: HP / Atk / SpA
4: HP / Atk / SpA
5: HP / Atk / SpA
6: HP / SpDef / Spe
7: HP / SpA / SpDef
8: Atk / Def / SpDef / Spe
9: Def / SpDef / Spe
10: HP / Atk / SpA

It's also interesting to note that two of them had 4 flawless IVs.

Last edited:
I'd like to see if the hypothesis that unbreedable pokes have 3 maxed IVs is true. Can anyone check others, like Carbink?
Carbink is breedable, iirc. 'Unbreedable' refers to stuff in 'No Eggs', which is Nidorina/Nidoqueen/babies/legends

Carbink is breedable, iirc. 'Unbreedable' refers to stuff in 'No Eggs', which is Nidorina/Nidoqueen/babies/legends
I figured Carbink's lack of gender to mean no breeding, but I suppose it could breed with Ditto. Are there any other pokes in the No Egg group, other than legendaries, currently available in-game?

I come back from work and this thread has just exploded! Thanks for all of the input guys. So far using this method, I have managed to chain Riolus, Azurills and Budews with the Poke Radar, catch more than 30 of each, and I can confirm that every single one has 3 or more IVs of 31. Using Synchronize Abras I have managed to catch myself an Adamant Azurill with IVs of 31/31/31/10-15/20-25/31 (unfortunately it has Thick Fat, but when I get around to farming 200BP that can soon be changed with the new Ability Capsule), and I have already evolved it and bred it to pass on a tonne of perfect IVs to other Water Pokemon. Just to add a bit more info to the discussion, I can confirm that at the very least Mewtwo and Zygarde both always have at least 3 IVs of 31 (I reset 20 times for each, spamming the Master Ball) and I don't think it is a coincidence that both my Xerneas and Moltres also have 3 maxed IVs. I also checked my Nidorina as mentioned by a few of you, and it also has 3 IVs of 31 - the theory that all unbreedable Pokemon caught in the wild always have 3 or more maxed IVs is pretty much confirmed at this point in my opinion.

But people have been reporting that Riolu is getting perfect IVs

edit: nvm, apparently Riolu can't breed :o

Does this only work for babies caught in the wild? I want to see how Wynaut turns out, but he seems only to be obtainable by breeding a Wobbuffet.

But people have been reporting that Riolu is getting perfect IVs

edit: nvm, apparently Riolu can't breed :o

Does this only work for babies caught in the wild? I want to see how Wynaut turns out, but he seems only to be obtainable by breeding a Wobbuffet.
It seems pokemons that don't breed have at least 3 IVs regardless of where they're caught. This includes baby pokemons and legendary pokemons.

But this rule doesn't apply to baby pokemons hatched from eggs it seems.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I bred a Munchlax using the ingame Snorlax with a Safari Imposter Ditto and it didnt have a single 31 IV...

So I am not sure if it is the "No egg" egg group which has 3 perfect IV's or whether its specific Pokemon. I did catch a Nidorina with 3 perfect IV's.

EDIT: I will also move this into the XY Casual discussion area

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)