Other Discussion: Which Pokemon will Fairy impact the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be just unban Soul Dew? Lati@s would stay afloat in OU at any cost, for with a Soul Dew I don't see many Fairy attacks denting them. Yes, they no longer have Draco-Meteor-spam, but Calm Mind and Soul Dew should make up for that, shouldn't it? Defensively, they'd still be as good as anything. I'm not good at this calculating stuff, but could someone run a few calcs for Lati@s with Soul Dew taking special Fairy hits (wait, are there ANY physical fairy type attacks even?) and hitting them with a +1 or +2 Psychic/Psyshock/Surf?

EDIT: And wait, Torkoal is fairy now?
Because THAT would be a slaughter!

And no, Torkoal can beat Fairies because he resists the moves and beats Aegislash because his defense and SE attacks.

I know speculation is generally discouraged, but what do you all think about a retconned typed Cresselia? Fairy typed moves have a fairly strong connection with the moon (Moonlight, Moonblast, etc.) so I don't think its entirely out of the question to have a possibly Psychic/Fairy Cresselia. Do you think even with the loss of Sun that Cresselia could have a chance with the added Fairy-Type?

Cresselia was already good at handling dragons in BW2 with its 120/120/130 defenses and I think the added bonus of fairy typing would help it immensely. The lack of Will-o-Wisp is pretty unfortunate though.

Because THAT would be a slaughter!

And no, Torkoal can beat Fairies because he resists the moves and beats Aegislash because his defense and SE attacks.
Oh alright, got it.

And yes, I meant that we'd unban Soul Dew is Lati@s would suffer from lack of usage due to the fairies. That'd more than suffice.

Oh alright, got it.

And yes, I meant that we'd unban Soul Dew is Lati@s would suffer from lack of usage due to the fairies. That'd more than suffice.
Why? Lati@s can beat fairies just fine, just cannot use the CM dragon pulse build.

I know speculation is generally discouraged, but what do you all think about a retconned typed Cresselia? Fairy typed moves have a fairly strong connection with the moon (Moonlight, Moonblast, etc.) so I don't think its entirely out of the question to have a possibly Psychic/Fairy Cresselia. Do you think even with the loss of Sun that Cresselia could have a chance with the added Fairy-Type?

Cresselia was already good at handling dragons in BW2 with its 120/120/130 defenses and I think the added bonus of fairy typing would help it immensely. The lack of Will-o-Wisp is pretty unfortunate though.
Someone reportedly found an enemy Cresselia in one of the new Battle Tower-like things and tested its type effectiveness; it's still pure-Psychic.

Someone reportedly found an enemy Cresselia in one of the new Battle Tower-like things and tested its type effectiveness; it's still pure-Psychic.
:[ Thats disappointing. At this point then, I feel Togekiss is really one of the few fairies that'll actually have an impact on the metagame. Its a shame that most of the new fairies are so underwhelming.

I also don't see why people are looking down on Sylveon. It's basically an Umbreon that can actually hit something at the same time. It's physical defense also isn't that big of an issue if you take advantage of EVs and a Bold nature. It also have enough HP to take advantage of a Wish set plus it gets Reflect. I see it to being a "little sister" to Vaporeon and being BL at least.

Sylveon is too easy to force out in OU which houses a number of physical powerhouses and steel types. That okay-ish special attack means little if it doesn't get any chance of using it. The upside is that it only takes half damage when it's chased out and pursuited :P

Another factor is that the abilities that have been revealed for it, Cute Charm and Pixilate, aren't terribly useful. Synchronize allows Umbreon to absorb and pass back status effects alongside heal bell. That combined with excellent bulk on both sides makes it very good for switching in and supporting. Sylveon, on the other hand, has fewer opportunities to switch in because its bulk is one-sided.

Last edited:
Are you guys 100% sure Cresselia isn't Fairy? Seriously GF? That was one Poke I expected it the most from given the moon connection. Cresselia really needed that, ugh, that's so infuriating. Psychic/Fairy makes total sense on that thing. Most of the Fairies are just so awkward, I can see people forcing themselves to use them though if Dragons are annoying enough. In this sense, I think specially based dragons will probably be the ones that suffer the most because of the general stat layout of Fairies (bar Mawile).

I am extremely doubtful Mew is going to be a Fairy, extremely. There's no way it will be. The rest of the pixies, eh maybe, I predict none of them will be though. I doubt they'll pick and choose. Here's hoping for the Lake Trio though GF could honestly not retcon any legendaries and I wouldn't be surprised. The messed up thing is Fairy retcons make way more sense on legends cause they are mysterious Pokemon, how the fudge do you not know Azumarill is immune to Dragon types for this long? :P

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Choice locked dragons are the only answer.
Are you guys 100% sure Cresselia isn't Fairy? Seriously GF? That was one Poke I expected it the most from given the moon connection. Cresselia really needed that, ugh, that's so infuriating. Psychic/Fairy makes total sense on that thing. Most of the Fairies are just so awkward, I can see people forcing themselves to use them though if Dragons are annoying enough. In this sense, I think specially based dragons will probably be the ones that suffer the most because of the general stat layout of Fairies (bar Mawile).

I am extremely doubtful Mew is going to be a Fairy, extremely. There's no way it will be. The rest of the pixies, eh maybe, I predict none of them will be though. I doubt they'll pick and choose. Here's hoping for the Lake Trio though GF could honestly not retcon any legendaries and I wouldn't be surprised. The messed up thing is Fairy retcons make way more sense on legends cause they are mysterious Pokemon, how the fudge do you not know Azumarill is immune to Dragon types for this long? :P
Cresselia is unavaible in X and Y as of now, so we have no idea if its typing got changed or whatnot.

Cresselia is unavaible in X and Y as of now, so we have no idea if its typing got changed or whatnot.
It's possible to fight it in one of the Battle Tower-like things, though, and someone confirmed its type effectiveness is the same as before.

Haha, I refuse to believe it also. I mean, when you have Moonblast as Fairy-type and Moonlight being changed to Fairy-type, and Cresselia learning LUNAR Dance and being the Lunar pokemon in general, there's obviously a clear correlation between the moon and fairies, not to mention that Fairy lets her combat her counterpart, Darkrai. But most of all, I think Cresselia has the most wasted potential due to bad typing for being a defensive pokemon. Honestly, Psychic/Fairy would be a welcome change.

I see Haxorus and especially Hydreigon will see less use.

Id like to say that fighting types will see less use, but I think not: their effectivess against other types are too valuable to drop.

I see Lucario being ever more popular, as it keeps the fighting pros and adds the steel element to combat fairies.

Haha, I refuse to believe it also. I mean, when you have Moonblast as Fairy-type and Moonlight being changed to Fairy-type, and Cresselia learning LUNAR Dance and being the Lunar pokemon in general, there's obviously a clear correlation between the moon and fairies, not to mention that Fairy lets her combat her counterpart, Darkrai. But most of all, I think Cresselia has the most wasted potential due to bad typing for being a defensive pokemon. Honestly, Psychic/Fairy would be a welcome change.
If GF missed that opportunity, I suspect they've also missed the Lake Trio which are named after fairies.

Right... this is gonna be a long post:

Let's start with the effects on types due to Fairy. Firstly, I don't think Dragon types are going to lose popularity. Instead, we'll just see less Outrage and 'Dragmag' strats. Dragons can still blast a lot of the better fairies with their coverage moves with ease, indeed, I am convinced the only reason Fairy isn't weak to Fire is because Fairy, as a balance plaster for Dragon, can't be weak to Fire Blasts. We'll still see a lot of Dragon Dancers and Wallbreaker dragons, just less OUTRAGE SPAM AFTER MAGNEZONE KILLS A STEEL.

Bulkier Fire types are going to gain some more popularity. Moltres may even make low OU instead of UU/BL. They probobly won't raise that much due to Stealth Rock, but combined with the Drizzle nerf, and Fire may just stop being called an awful defensive type... especially with 6 resists.

On the other hand, Poison types are not going to suddenly shoot up just because they finally have a type they hit super-effective that isn't most often paired with Poison as a secondary type, or has a huge amount of better types to abuse on it. Poison is still an awful offensive type, although it's even better defensively now.

Steel types should be relatively unaffected overall, their defense got nerfed, the offense buffed. Most carried Gyro Ball anyway. We may just see more offensive Metagross, which can set up Agility on Fairies.

We may also see less U-Turn spamming, with another Bug Resist in the game. Except Scizor is also known for Bullet Punch.

Now; onto the fairies themselves:

Gardevoir -
OK, this thing is gonna jump. It's currently NU, and not even the premier psychic. However, with the Fairy-type added to it [Especially since it's only neutral to Poison, so only gains a Steel weakness while losing Dark and Bug weaknesses], and it's Mega Form as well, Gardevoir is probobly going to jump in useage to at least UU. It's one of the strongest fairy-types in the game, and has quite a good shot of being the main Fairy in OU, with maybe 3 competitiors.

Togekiss -
This thing is ALREADY hugely annoying, and it's just gained a bunch more resistances [And weaknesses], as well as tadeing one immunity for another. Togekiss will likely remain a huge factor in OU, and Nasty Plot sets will likly become more common thanks to STAB Fairy Special attacks on top of Air Slashes. Probobly competeing with Gardevoir for #1 fairy.

Mawile -
This thing has a shot at getting into OU simply due to it's Mega Form's base ATK, Huge Power and Sucker Punch. Less so for the Fairy-type, although Steel/Fairy is an excellent type in general, with 2 immunities, and only 2 weaknesses. [Fire and Ground]. STAB Huge Power Play Rough is scary though.

Azumarill -
Speaking of Huge Power... Azumarill's Choice Band set suffered from being a one-trick pony in Gen 5. Aqua Jet was it's main move 90% of the time. It even struggled to fill it's movepool. Well, now, it's got Play Rough to use on predicted switches to types that can take Water-type attacks, such as... Dragons? Water and Fairy is excellent type coverage as well. Unless I'm mistaken and have forgotten something, only Shedinja, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel and Emploeon resist it.

Klefki -
Although it likly won't make OU, I can see this thing being a prime annoyer in UU, with Tormet+Sub with Prankster. It would be like TormentTran... but significantly weaker. Also Prankster Swagger, Prankster Spikes, Prankster Screens... oh, and Foul Play just in case you want to SD on it or something.

The other Fairies:

Most of them are pretty bad. Xerneas is obviously going to Ubers, so I won't speak about it. Aside from maybe Florges and Sylveon, who would be solid UU/RU special attackers, and Whimsicott, who will pop up like it did in Gen 5 occasionally, the rest just lack the stats and would likly be NU, and Fairy lacks a great movepool as well to make up for the stats.

Note; there may still be more Fairy-types that are yet undiscovered to have changed; most of these are legends, like the Lake Trio, BST600 Pixies [Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy and Victini in particular come to mind, Mew less so.], and possibly Cresselia [As Fairy > Dark]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)