Other Predictions for good leads from the new pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, i was looking through the new pokemon from 6th generation to find anyone who might be a good lead pokemon, but none of them really seemed that great. The only one that kinda stuck out to me was Tyrantrum because of its access to Stealth Rock and decent attack stat, but it just kinda seemed lacking in speed and defenses to be that wonderful in that role. I do however like the look of MegaAerodactyl. Im not sure what moves it learns in this generation (I couldnt find the infromation anwhere), but if it has access to stealth rock and taunt like it did back in 4th gen, with better speed and attack, I think it could make a decent lead. Thoughts?

Klefki makes a good suicide lead with priority spikes + foul play to deter set-up + imprison to deter pokemon from trying to spike alongside it.

Greninja also makes a good spikes / scouting lead with its 122 speed and protean-STAB u-turn.

Deoxys-s.
NEW pokemon, not UNAVALIABLE pokemon.

Not counting the Mega Evos as new (if we are, some of those are nice - Aerodactyl being a good example), I can see Auroras being used in lower tiers just for Snow Warning, at the very least.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scarf Heliolisk can kinda get something going in the lead position, access to Volt Switch and nice Base 109(?) SpA and Speed stats to make use of seem pretty decent as far as needing a revenge killer goes. Band Talonflame can also work in the lead position thanks to U-Turn, two ridiculous high-power STAB moves, and an absurdly high Speed stat to grab momentum quickly for ya. That's kind of all I can think of, lol. As far as absolutely new Pokemon (mega evos notwithstanding) go, I don't see a whole lot as potential leads aside from possible Scarf sets.

Galvantula is going to be extremely common, if the Sticky Web Hype Train arrives at Luminoise station. Compound Eyes Thunder is pretty good on it's own too.

Galvantula is going to be extremely common, if the Sticky Web Hype Train arrives at Luminoise station. Compound Eyes Thunder is pretty good on it's own too.
heck yes. galvantula's actually not that bad - two nice stabs that go together fairly well, with some good filler including giga drain [moar health], hidden power ice [fuck you gliscor], volt switch [high speed scouting], and even potentially sucker punch if you're desperate. while thunder was indeed nerfed, it's still got a nice chance to paralyze and shut down pffensive counters that aren't ground type, and just cripple stuff in general. sure, not normally ou material, but not to be deemed as complete trash outside of a single move or ability a la politoed and ninetales.

not to mention that it looks seriously awesome, and joltik is ridiculously cute.

85 HP / 70??? Atk / 80??? Def / 97 SpA / 85??? SpD / 123 Spe

Dragon/Flying

Noviern @ Life Orb/Silk Scarf/Dragon Plate
Ability: Frisk
Naive

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Taunt/U-Turn/Protect
-Taunt/U-Turn/Protect
-Boomburst/Draco Meteor/Super Fang/Hurricane/Roost

This thing has 379 Speed.

It is faster than Alakazam, Dugtrio, Greninja, Tornadus-T, Arceus, Azelf, Starmie, Serperior, Thundurus, Tornadus, Espeon, Froslass, Gengar, Lati@s, Galvantula, Infernape, Keldeo, Terrakion, Mienshao, Zoroark, Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus-T, and all base 100s.

It ties scarfed 77s (Heatran) and is faster than scarfed 76s or below (Breloom, Cloyster, Metagross, Politoed, Scizor, Tyranitar, Magnezone)

Frisk tells you their lead's item: Choice Item? Focus Sash? Custap Berry? Chople Berry? Yache Berry?

Afterwards make the appropriate move, which is probably Taunt or Uturn on Turn 1. If they are a fast scarfer like Jirachi you could use Protect.

Later in the game you can fire off 140 BP Boombursts that bypass substitutes, 130 BP Draco Meteors with STAB, or Superfang something like a troublesome Dragonite. Frisk will also have it's uses later on such as checking for Expert Belts and Lum Berries.

It will be unaffected by spikes, toxic spikes, sticky web, ground moves, and arena trap, but unfortunately it is weak to SR.

This thing is frail and relies on it's speed, u-turn, and its teammates to get around things like Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Jolteon's HP Ice.

Hawlucha seems pretty solid as far as leads go. Stab high jump kick, u-turn, taunt and encore to do some degenerate things, very respectable 118 base speed. Acts kinda like a mini tornadus-T (no regenerator mind you, but no SR weakness either).

Jolteon makes a good lead with espeon magic bounce backing it up. If the lead if galvantula then you voltswitch for 35% and finish it off with espeon after reflecting sticky web.
Obviously this can fail but it works more often than not

It's not really a new pokémon but it gained a mega forme: Aerodactyl. Aerodactyl used to be a great lead that got nerfed by team preview but now that it gained access to a mega forme I can see things becoming a lot brighter for it.

Access to one of the fastest Taunts and Stealth Rocks is great and it can use the first turn to megavolve so you can bring it in ready for destruction later in the game. Question is if people will want to use the mega slot for it but even if the mega slot goes to someone else I think regular Aerodactyl can play a nice role any way as I can see it gain utility now that it can bluff a megastone. Aerodactyl's regular forme actually has an OU niche and I think it can fulfill it's role better now that your opponent will have to look out for a megavolution.

I can see Klefki becoming a good suicide lead. With access to the prankster ability, t-wave and spikes I can see it having some usage

85 HP / 70??? Atk / 80??? Def / 97 SpA / 85??? SpD / 123 Spe

Dragon/Flying

Noviern @ Life Orb/Silk Scarf/Dragon Plate
Ability: Frisk
Naive

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Taunt/U-Turn/Protect
-Taunt/U-Turn/Protect

This thing has 379 Speed.

It is faster than Alakazam, Dugtrio, Greninja, Tornadus-T, Arceus, Azelf, Starmie, Serperior, Thundurus, Tornadus, Espeon, Froslass, Gengar, Lati@s, Galvantula, Infernape, Keldeo, Terrakion, Mienshao, Zoroark, Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus-T, and all base 100s.

It ties scarfed 77s (Heatran) and is faster than scarfed 76s or below (Breloom, Cloyster, Metagross, Politoed, Scizor, Tyranitar, Magnezone)

Frisk tells you their lead's item: Choice Item? Focus Sash? Custap Berry? Chople Berry? Yache Berry?

Afterwards make the appropriate move, which is probably Taunt or Uturn on Turn 1. If they are a fast scarfer like Jirachi you could use Protect.

Later in the game you can fire off 140 BP Boombursts that bypass substitutes, 130 BP Draco Meteors with STAB, or Superfang something like a troublesome Dragonite. Frisk will also have it's uses later on such as checking for Expert Belts and Lum Berries.

It will be unaffected by spikes, toxic spikes, sticky web, ground moves, and arena trap, but unfortunately it is weak to SR.

This thing is frail and relies on it's speed, u-turn, and its teammates to get around things like Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Jolteon's HP Ice.
Unless you're using this thing purely offensively, Crobat says hello.

Well, it seems to me that Crobat and Noivern both have separate niches.
Crobat seems like more of a dedicated stallbreaker, with buffed Infiltrator getting behind Subs permanently, and that crazy 4x resistance to Fighting coming more in handy than a 4x resistance to Grass. Coupled with new uses for a Poison type STAB and Crobat feels he's needed to terrorize defensive Fairies.
Noivern on the other hand seems more inclined to be a scouter. He has the choice between Infiltrator and Frisk, but with Crobat doing Infiltrator better Frisk seems more in line with his scouting role. But Frisk takes like half the prediction game out of feeling around for a Choice Scarfer or an Expert Belt bluff. And if I'm not mistaken, Noivern has stronger BP moves to scare things off with. Sure Crobat has his nifty Sludge Wave shenanigens, but at the end of the day, dual 140 BP moves (with one getting STAB) is going to force a lot of switches.

I don't have the game yet, so I would like to know if there still is Team Preview? An absence of it will really open new sets for Gen V pokemon who could have potential as pure leads.

Klefki as an idea just seems like a very good idea to me. It can set up spikes guaranteed twice with a sash, but more importantly is it's ability to set up spikes twice AND hopefully prankster itself in a Light Screen or Reflect to get the ball rolling defensively. The real choice would be a sash versus light clay with a set like that.

I'm currently using this set with Light Clay and I can usually get out two spikes and a Reflect before fainting, which really helps my Garchomp set up early.

heck yes. galvantula's actually not that bad - two nice stabs that go together fairly well, with some good filler including giga drain [moar health], hidden power ice [fuck you gliscor], volt switch [high speed scouting], and even potentially sucker punch if you're desperate. while thunder was indeed nerfed, it's still got a nice chance to paralyze and shut down pffensive counters that aren't ground type, and just cripple stuff in general. sure, not normally ou material, but not to be deemed as complete trash outside of a single move or ability a la politoed and ninetales.

not to mention that it looks seriously awesome, and joltik is ridiculously cute.

Oh yeah, Bug Buzz is a sound move, which goes through Substitute. Probably a Top 3 user, along with Volcarona and Yanmega.

Galavantula is pretty much one of the best leads in OU. It's surprising how often you can cheese between 1-3 kills off a good prediction, and a little risk with Galavantula. The guaranteed sticky web is also one of the nastiest things in the game. All of the sudden you're literally creating your own speed tiers. I need to look in to speed calcs on important pokemon after a speed drop.

Also my current favorite way to abuse sticky web is to have a pivot pokemon or two that know Sleep/Paralysis/Burn, priority going to Paralysis.

Galv is a pretty risky lead. Ground stops Volt Switch and she's very weak to anti-leads more so then usual leads. Also, your team has the use the speed win well for like 70-80s being able to beat out 100s.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Something to note is that Suicide leads are going to completely fall out of style. If you blow your lead Pokemon on purely setting up hazards, you'll be wishing you hadn't because of the Defog buff. One move from the opponent will eliminate any and all layers of hazards you set up, and with your spiker out of the match you won't be able to set up again later. This really puts a dent in the hazard-stacking offense playstyle.

Galv is a pretty risky lead. Ground stops Volt Switch and she's very weak to anti-leads more so then usual leads. Also, your team has the use the speed win well for like 70-80s being able to beat out 100s.
Gigadrain/Energy Ball are always options. I think the biggest risk to Galvantula is Defog.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

Welcome the 2nd most hyperdominant suicide lead to ever grace Pokemon, ever. Second to Deoxys, and no more.

Welcome the 2nd most hyperdominant suicide lead to ever grace Pokemon, ever. Second to Deoxys, and no more.

So in the lead position what beats this thing? You need to get through the sash and kill it somehow with speed or priority. Beating it means it doesn't get sticky web up.

Ambipom and Weavile bust the sash with Fake Out then finish it off with Return / Ice Punch. Persian and Purugly do the same thing, but are less viable in OU. Infernape has Fake Out but can only speed tie.

Skill Link Cinccino destroys it with Rock Blast.

Scarf Skill Link Cloyster does the same.

Adamant Scarf Haxorus can beat it with Dual Chop but after both hits it's only 85.4 - 101.06%. Rivalry will secure the KO 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)