Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason Cloyster has a huge advantage over Barbaracle is the fact it can do heavy damage to Dragons, which can still be a huge problem in the metagame. Not too many good Fairies to combat the Dragons.
Phanthump gets Wood Hammer. That's almost all it needs. Now we need a priority move.

I just don't really see the hype with Greninja.

Yea, Protean is cool and he's fast, but he also hits like a wet paper bag from both sides and takes damage like one too.

It's got a lot of resistances but it also has 5 weaknesses that are all quite common (with the exception of fairy, we dont know yet). Some stronger neutral attacks would OHKO it as well.

What's threatening about him? I'm really missing it I guess.

Seriously, Greninja isn't that good...
The easiest thing to compare it to is Infernape. Infernape has 76/71/71 defenses and 104/104 attacking stats with a 108 speed. Compare that to Greninja who has 72/67/71 defenses and 95/103 attacking stats... the only thing it has going for it is its speed of 122, but if we cared about speed so much Accelgor would have been OU.
Speaking of Accelgor, he kills pretty much the only reason to use Greninja in OU as a fast spiker. He has pretty much the same SpA and bulk but is faster.
Greninja reminds me of 4th gen Electivire where everyone thought he was the greatest thing ever because he could hit 13 types for super effective damage in one moveset. And then we were reminded coverage =/= damage output, which is exactly why we had Dragon spam.
Florges is better than sylveon to me personally, she's got 78/154 special bulk whereas Sylveon has 95/130, and she also actually has a semi-decent speed in 78. I'd go as far as to say Florges replaces Blissey in some semi-stall and balanced teams for the extra offensive presence, but probably not in other semi-stall or full out stall teams. Sylveon will most likely be lower tiers' answer to dragons, it's better off using screens or a calm mind set whereas Florges has wish/aromatherapy and I guess grassy terrain and misty terrain are cool for doubles? Also has screens and cm which can outclass Sylveon even more.

Electivire doesn't have sab on anything hardly any better defenses and nearly 30 less Base Speed

Whats so "Hyped" up about Greninja is he can take advantage of Monotyping to both Resist/Be immune to it's original typings weakness, therefore his weaknesses are completely random (albeit limited do to not knowing all of its moves), can take advantage of literally every weather (Spikes is ground type!, sand storm gives bonus SpD and he could very well learn earth power as an egg move) and he can pivot with u-turn.

No he may not be the most broken thing right now, but not all ou pokemon are at that point where they're completely unbearable and stupid (just 60% of them) in most cases.

Electivire doesn't have sab on anything hardly any better defenses and nearly 30 less Base Speed

Whats so "Hyped" up about Greninja is he can take advantage of Monotyping to both Resist/Be immune to it's original typing, therefore his weaknesses are completely random (albeit limited do to not knowing all of its moves), can take advantage of literally every weather (Spikes is ground type!, sand storm gives bonus SpD and he could very well learn earth power as an egg move) and he can pivot with u-turn.

No he may not be the most broken thing right now, but not all ou pokemon are at that point where they're completely unbearable and stupid (just 60% of them) in most cases
That doesn't change the fact that he simply doesn't have enough power to be worth a team slot and any monotyping gimmicks don't matter because he's so fragile that neutral attacks will destroy him.

Whats so "Hyped" up about Greninja is he can take advantage of Monotyping to both Resist/Be immune to it's original typings weakness, therefore his weaknesses are completely random (albeit limited do to not knowing all of its moves), can take advantage of literally every weather (Spikes is ground type!, sand storm gives bonus SpD and he could very well learn earth power as an egg move) and he can pivot with u-turn.

No he may not be the most broken thing right now, but not all ou pokemon are at that point where they're completely unbearable and stupid (just 60% of them) in most cases.
Rock types get the bonus SpD, ground types get nothing other that the immunity to Sandstorm

The problem with Greninja is that even a powerful neutral move WILL KO, also, you're forced to chenge types, you don't decide to, so if you wanted to use something like Ice Beam, then you're forced becoming an Ice Type, the same with every other move, sure it's great to play mind games but you need to predict perfectly and have an attack that your opponent is weak against, and even if you do most sweepers carry coverage to hit most mons anyway for neutral so you're taking heavy damage regardless unless you carry the appropiate moves

Sableye can shut him down as well, given Galvantula's "decent" Special Attack. Same with Whimsicott, due to fairy resisting Bug(Making it neutral). Heck, a lot of things just don't care about Galvantula.

Other things that counter Galvantula or web:
Gengar
Greninja with Water Shuriken(provided it hits enough times, so situational)
Xatu (merely needs to predict web to get its job done)
Same with Espeon (none of them need to stay in)
Contrary pokemon benefit from web
Clear Body pokemon
Excadrill (He'll just spin them away, in your face even)

If he had just 10 more base Sp Atk, none of this would really be a problem......
Espeon and Xatu don't care because Spicky Web is a damaging move(well, it has 20 base power like Rapid Spin, this means that it can't be blocked by Taunt, Magic Bounce, Magic Coat....and breaks Sashes and kills pokes with 0,1% HP remaining)

Edit: Wrong source, Sticky Web is a support move.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Espeon and Xatu don't care because Spicky Web is a damaging move(well, it has 20 base power like Rapid Spin, this means that it can't be blocked by Taunt, Magic Bounce, Magic Coat....and breaks Sashes and kills pokes with 0,1% HP remaining)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/stickyweb-jpg.2241/

Sticky Web is a support move, not an offensive move. Serebii has it wrong, and I've seen it used countless of times without it inflicting any damage whatsoever.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Here's my potential list on Pokemon that could go OU this gen:
1. FLORGESSSSS
(if you've talked to me on PO or PS, you know how much of a florges fanboy I am)
Fuck it just read my posts from it's own pokemon thread, I have nothing more to say than it's awesome and is greater than sylveon IN MOST SCENEARIOS though picking between them is mainly aesthetics or preferences

2. Clawitzer

KINGLER 2.0 (Clawitzer) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Aura Sphere
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This thing, oh boy, with shell smash and a whopping 120 base special attack, this thing hits really hard, and unlike most shell smashers, it actually DESTROYES ferro
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 312-369 (88.63 - 104.82%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Not only that, bu unlike pokes like gorebyss, this thing outspeeds scarf rotom wash (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 227-269 (93.8 - 111.15%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock) and other notable scarfers and smashes them before they move, this thing really has potential as it resists bullet punch and all you really need to do for this thing effectively sweep is remove things like breloom's CB mach punch, this thing has such a high reward for such low risk

3. Talonflame

Catching Fire (Talonflame) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Steel Wing / Roost

If there's one thing we can bet hating SR this gen, it's this guy, but, with all the great spinners in OU such as starmie, avuulaugg and excadrill that all have great synergy with it, it's not hard to see it being OU, with it's signiture gale wings ability you have Priority Brave bird yep, you heard me right, priority on both roost and brave bird, combine that with amazing secondary STAB in flare blitz, SWORDS DANCE and a way to hit ttar/heal yourself and you've honestly got a monster, just like blaziken and mega blaze, this thing can really fuck with our newest spinblocker, aegislash, letting it really have great synergy with spinners that and priority brave bird just wrecks our newest anti spinner: greninja (if it choses to switch in on you or if you switchin on dark pulse/spikes) this thing also beats up on custap skarm/ferro with a combo of flare blitz to sturdy range + priority brave bird, this also means Azumarill can't revenge it because +2 priority brave bird outspeeds aqua jet and just wrecks the poor lil' azu.

it also can run a CB set as an effective revenge killer with brave bird and uturn but eh, SD is really where it's at

4. Aegislash
not even gonna bother, you know why, this thing is a pain in the ass

5. Noivern

Noivern (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Roost / U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash / Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Flamethrower

Meet LO Vern, one of the fastest dragons and certainly not one of the merciful ones, LO vern's main niche over things like choice goodra and Choice Latios is the huge ass speed, outspeeding things like greninja, starmie, alakazam, dugtrio and more while still hitting plentiful hard, Draco meteor from this guy really hurts, and so does hurricane, if you can manage to hit one, and focus blast/flamethrower deals massive damage to it's main switchins: Ferrothorn, Ttar, Rachi, Scizor etc
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 86.12 - 101.42%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 64.35 - 75.99%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 48.57 - 57.4%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 72 HP / 184 SpD Snorlax: 44.05 - 52.19%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 46.52 - 54.81%
etc

Noivern (M) @ Choice Specs
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Specs vern jsut hits like a truck and checks things like LO vern :]

I have more but I don't wanna type more, maybe I'll post again, but I do definatly see potential in delphox

I don't understand the Aegislash hype, so what if he's really good against physical attackers? So just beat him with Special Attacks. Pretty simple. I think he will be OU but not as good as everyone is making him out to be. Anyway, he's the only one I feel personally SURE about being OU.

Other possible candidates (strictly going off Gen 6 NEW pokemon):
-Greninja: I personally stopped caring about him once I heard he didn't get Rapid Spin. I'm not sure why everyone is going crazy for him but he will be decent and might make OU. He has many interesting options.
-Clawlitzer: This Pokemon has the highest offensive stat of any Shell Smash sweeper I believe, that's a big deal. He also has good defenses and a decent typing so a White Herb wouldn't be completely wasted on him. I think Cloyster is extremely different from this mon so I can see them both deserving of a sweeper spot.
-Zygarde: He will probably make BL, but I think this guy has interesting enough stats and movepool to be pretty good in OU.
-Barbaracle: Is really easy to stop due to his rock sub-typing, but still might make OU or BL.
-Talonflame: Really depends on how spinning plays out this gen, Rapid Spin Greninja would've been very good for this thing (still bitter!!!). It has promising everything except for typing, will definitely be great in UU if nothing else.
-Noivern: Will likely be decent in OU even if it isn't in it IMO.

Most of these mons probably won't actually be OU (or they won't be after a little while) which is pretty sad for Gen 6 new mons. Meh.

People are saying Dragalge or Goodra could make OU, naah. Goodra might be really good in UU, but I just don't see it cutting it in OU. The Ghost/Grass might also be used in OU, but with new ghosts and mega ghosts running around they aren't really THAT necessary.

tough claws stone edge is stronger than icicle spear, tough claws waterfall sits at a nice 104 power. That, and barbaracle is only 2 points behind cloyster in speed. Barbaracle also receives cross chop, which is an effective 130 power after tough claws. EArthquake although not tough claw boosted is perfectly accurate and achieves solid coverage with stone edge. Water / rock / fighting generally has better than coverage than rock / ice / water. Barbaracle also has better special bulk and base attack. It's definitely competitive with cloyster. Cloyster's typing grants it two resistances, and 4 weaknesses, while barbaracle's nets it 5 resistances and 4 weaknesses. Cloyster is much more resistant to priority not called extremepseed though.

im just sayin that barbaracle hits harder, has better coverage, and hits almost the exact same speed tier as cloyster, so it might be close to cloyster in utility.
Tough Claws does not apply to Stone Edge or Waterfall so....yeah. Cloyster has higher BP moves no matter how you spin (GIGGLE) it. And it can go mixed. Cloyster will likely be better than Barbaracle but I think Barbaracle will still warrant use.

i don't think talonflame makes OU, even though it has priority on all flying moves, it still takes 50% from SR and doesn't seem to have the riduclouslessness that volcarona has to get around it

it's a revenge killer that takes a fuckton from SR, that's not really a good combo, especially when it's best moves are recoil moves, i just don't see this being OU

goodra may be outclassed by dragonite, the lack of a second typing on goodra really hurts it (both water and poison would've done wonders) and it's just another bulky dragon type, dragonite looks to fill a similar role while having a much more potent offense

dragalge is slow as fuck and while it has a good typing, it's not good enough to make up for that molasses speed

floreges actually seems like it could be good, it has ridiculous special bulk and a good special attack....but looking at it's movepool, what the fuck can it do? it doesn't learn any special move that isn't fairy or grass outside of psychic and hidden power (big whoop), it's physical bulk is a real letdown, and the fact it's not a grass type really hurts it (resisting earthquake would've been glorious, as well as resisting the fighting/dark combo) but honestly, that movepool really holds it back

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1.- Aegislash - Most solid candidate so far.
2.- Goodra - Apparently, the new pseudo-legendary, but still outclassed by many other dragon-types. Low Speed is a real problem for a Dragon, but that Speed lowering ability is just so cool-- I could see it getting a lot of opportunities to really mess opponents up.
3.- Greninja - Protean sounds promising, but those awful defenses don't. You have to be joking. It's bulkier than Starmie. It also has 120+ Speed, and has even more power than Starmie. It also has a better offensive typing. It also has Spikes, and STAB on-- everything--. To me, this is probably the most exciting XY Poke from an OU perspective, and I have no doubt it would have been banned had it existed in BW.
4.- Barbaracle - Outclassed by Cloyster or not? Overall, I'd tend to agree-- but we'll have to see how the critical hit mechanics actually work to say for sure. It's got Sniper + STAB Stone Edge and Cross Chop-- if crits really happen a lot more often, this thing could be really mess with us.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
i don't think talonflame makes OU, even though it has priority on all flying moves, it still takes 50% from SR and doesn't seem to have the riduclouslessness that volcarona has to get around it

it's a revenge killer that takes a fuckton from SR, that's not really a good combo, especially when it's best moves are recoil moves, i just don't see this being OU
"Doesn't have the ridiculousness that volcarona has"? are you fucking kidding me? this thing will destroy lives, we have all the damn good rapid spinners this gen, and PRIORITY BRAVE BIRD IS THE BEST PRIORITY IN OU

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
3. Talonflame

- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Steel Wing / Roost

If there's one thing we can bet hating SR this gen, it's this guy, but, with all the great spinners in OU such as starmie, avuulaugg and excadrill that all have great synergy with it, it's not hard to see it being OU, with it's signiture gale wings ability you have Priority Brave bird yep, you heard me right, priority on both roost and brave bird, combine that with amazing secondary STAB in flare blitz, SWORDS DANCE and a way to hit ttar/heal yourself and you've honestly got a monster, just like blaziken and mega blaze, this thing can really fuck with our newest spinblocker, aegislash, letting it really have great synergy with spinners that and priority brave bird just wrecks our newest anti spinner: greninja (if it choses to switch in on you or if you switchin on dark pulse/spikes) this thing also beats up on custap skarm/ferro with a combo of flare blitz to sturdy range + priority brave bird, this also means Azumarill can't revenge it because +2 priority brave bird outspeeds aqua jet and just wrecks the poor lil' azu.

it also can run a CB set as an effective revenge killer with brave bird and uturn but eh, SD is really where it's at
I've found that the Flying Gem Acrobatics set with SD is a lot more efficient at sweeping then with Brave Bird. Although you lose a small drop in power, giving Talonflame a reliable, powerful Flying STAB with no drawback is huge in my opinion. Between Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, and the possibility of having to switch into SR in pinch situations, Talonflame is just going to die WAY too quickly if the only moves it will primarily be using have a nasty recoil side effect. Life Orb makes that even worse, and it limits Talonflame from sweeping as effectively. The set I've been using is basically exactly the same as yours, just with Acrobatics and Flying Gem.

Talonflame @ Flying Gem
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Steel Wing

I've swept a few teams clean with this set, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was using Brave Bird.

Here's my potential list on Pokemon that could go OU this gen:
1. FLORGESSSSS
(if you've talked to me on PO or PS, you know how much of a florges fanboy I am)
Fuck it just read my posts from it's own pokemon thread, I have nothing more to say than it's awesome and is greater than sylveon IN MOST SCENEARIOS though picking between them is mainly aesthetics or preferences

2. Clawitzer

KINGLER 2.0 (Clawitzer) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Aura Sphere
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This thing, oh boy, with shell smash and a whopping 120 base special attack, this thing hits really hard, and unlike most shell smashers, it actually DESTROYES ferro
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 312-369 (88.63 - 104.82%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Not only that, bu unlike pokes like gorebyss, this thing outspeeds scarf rotom wash (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 227-269 (93.8 - 111.15%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock) and other notable scarfers and smashes them before they move, this thing really has potential as it resists bullet punch and all you really need to do for this thing effectively sweep is remove things like breloom's CB mach punch, this thing has such a high reward for such low risk

3. Talonflame

- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Steel Wing / Roost

4. Aegislash
not even gonna bother, you know why, this thing is a pain in the ass

5. Noivern

Noivern (F) @ Life Orb
- Roost / U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Air Slash / Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Flamethrower

Meet LO Vern, one of the fastest dragons and certainly not one of the merciful ones, LO vern's main niche over things like choice goodra and Choice Latios is the huge ass speed, outspeeding things like greninja, starmie, alakazam, dugtrio and more while still hitting plentiful hard, Draco meteor from this guy really hurts, and so does hurricane, if you can manage to hit one, and focus blast/flamethrower deals massive damage to it's main switchins: Ferrothorn, Ttar, Rachi, Scizor etc
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 86.12 - 101.42%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 64.35 - 75.99%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 48.57 - 57.4%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 72 HP / 184 SpD Snorlax: 44.05 - 52.19%
252 SpA Life Orb Noivern Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 46.52 - 54.81%
etc

Noivern (M) @ Choice Specs
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Specs vern jsut hits like a truck and checks things like LO vern :]

I have more but I don't wanna type more, maybe I'll post again, but I do definatly see potential in delphox
I don't understand the Aegislash hype, so what if he's really good against physical attackers? So just beat him with Special Attacks. Pretty simple. I think he will be OU but not as good as everyone is making him out to be. Anyway, he's the only one I feel personally SURE about being OU.

Other possible candidates (strictly going off Gen 6 NEW pokemon):
-Greninja: I personally stopped caring about him once I heard he didn't get Rapid Spin. I'm not sure why everyone is going crazy for him but he will be decent and might make OU. He has many interesting options.
-Clawlitzer: This Pokemon has the highest offensive stat of any Shell Smash sweeper I believe, that's a big deal. He also has good defenses and a decent typing so a White Herb wouldn't be completely wasted on him. I think Cloyster is extremely different from this mon so I can see them both deserving of a sweeper spot.
-Zygarde: He will probably make BL, but I think this guy has interesting enough stats and movepool to be pretty good in OU.
-Barbaracle: Is really easy to stop due to his rock sub-typing, but still might make OU or BL.
-Talonflame: Really depends on how spinning plays out this gen, Rapid Spin Greninja would've been very good for this thing (still bitter!!!). It has promising everything except for typing, will definitely be great in UU if nothing else.
-Noivern: Will likely be decent in OU even if it isn't in it IMO.

Most of these mons probably won't actually be OU (or they won't be after a little while) which is pretty sad for Gen 6 new mons. Meh.

People are saying Dragalge or Goodra could make OU, naah. Goodra might be really good in UU, but I just don't see it cutting it in OU. The Ghost/Grass might also be used in OU, but with new ghosts and mega ghosts running around they aren't really THAT necessary.

Tough Claws does not apply to Stone Edge or Waterfall so....yeah. Cloyster has higher BP moves no matter how you spin (GIGGLE) it. And it can go mixed. Cloyster will likely be better than Barbaracle but I think Barbaracle will still warrant use.
Clawitzer doesn't get Shell Smash, it was debunked.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Clawitzer doesn't get Shell Smash, it was debunked.
Please give me the source of where it was debunked, PO says it can and I'm willing to trust an entire research team of a sim over you alone, sorry, I hate to be that guy, but I need more evidence

Please give me the source of where it was debunked, PO says it can and I'm willing to trust an entire research team of a sim over you alone, sorry, I hate to be that guy, but I need more evidence
Research thread. Clawitzer's thread on this forum. Multiple places have people tested Shell Smash, and NONE found it.

"Doesn't have the ridiculousness that volcarona has"? are you fucking kidding me? this thing will destroy lives, we have all the damn good rapid spinners this gen, and PRIORITY BRAVE BIRD IS THE BEST PRIORITY IN OU
what RSer outside of blastoise did we gain?

i thought clawncher got shell smash at level 47?

what RSer outside of blastoise did we gain?

i thought clawncher got shell smash at level 47?
We did regain Excadrill, and Avalugg is of some use (its special bulk is low, but actually better than Blissey's physical bulk - think about that), so that's something.

And no, he gets AQUA JET at level 47. Clawitzer gets it around the same time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)