Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uber offense core: Physical Attack Ghost-Arceus and SpA. Xerneas. That is a godly core. They cover each others' threats near-flawlessly. This and a scarfer/momentum builder (Scizor, Genesect) is the basis for one monstrous team.

Lol, thunder does 68% to 80%. Without an item (it should have a focus sash, though) Thats one of the coolest things about galavantula, it ohkos starmie and tentacrueal, and 2hkoes donphan and forretress. Once again, excadrill for OU!!!!
Run a Cell Battery if he's specifically in your group as a Galvantula counter.

But yeah, there's better choices.

Last edited:
One core i have been thinking about is mega absol, hawlucha, and volcarona. Hawlucha baton passes sword dances to absol so absol can spend its time killing instead of setting up. and then volcarona is benefited by absol stopping stealthrock and she can do decent special damage to anything that might be to physically defensive for absol while also being able to take a hit if built right. and yes i am aware this leaves the problem of fairies but i cant think of a way to solve it.

Last edited:
Thinkin about Assault vest Goodra, MGengar, Mix Hydreigon core. Goodra will lure out common Hydreigon counters and gengar will lure out special walls and be able to trap/song hydreigon counters so when Hydreigon comes in sweep is unstoppable.

Sylveon + Avalugg may make a splash in lower tiers, if that's where they end up, as a pretty strong defensive core. Might be an interesting option for Stall teams.

It has been a long, long time since I last discussed competitive battling, but don't Goodra + Mega Mawile have great defensive synergy? Mawile resists Goodra's weaknesses and is a defensive powerhouse, while Goodra has great Special bulk and Gooey to slow down the opposing Pokemon to help Mega Mawile.

I guess this is a core somewhere in between offensive and defensive, since both can run bulky offensive sets.

spikes greninja, sp. def heatran, and bulky big pumpkin seem like a solid FWG core, not sure if the pumpkin gets recovery though

spikes greninja, sp. def heatran, and bulky big pumpkin seem like a solid FWG core, not sure if the pumpkin gets recovery though
Pumpkingirl gets Pain Split, which is serviceable if not really reliable recovery.

Being bigger and having more HP kind of clashes it with it though, even though it's better for tanking.

what do you mean by this? are you referring to little vs big pumpkin?
Basically. I was thinking of Pain Split usually going in hand with most Ghost's naturally low HP. Small size has the least HP, but Super-size has the most HP and attack which probably is better overall and outweighs the benefits of doing more damage with Pain Split.

Weezing and specially defensive Tyranitar are an interesting defensive pairing.

Weezing resists the Fighting, Fairy, Bug and Ground moves that threaten Tyranitar, and Weezing's one weakness to Psychic is covered by Tyranitar's Dark typing.

Furthermore, the accuracy boost to Will-O-Wisp means Weezing is even more reliable as a physical wall. It can take out most Fairy types with ease using Sludge Wave and Fire Blast. Making it a great counter to Mega Mawile and Azumarill. It's also immune to Poison status and doesn't mind Burn and Paralysis too much. It can shrug off Sandstorm damage with a combination of Black Sludge and Pain Split.

Tyranitar with Assault Vest (or Tyranitarite) is amazingly bulky on the special side. Even taking some super-effective attacks like 0 Sp. Att EV Jellicent Scald with ease. It traps the Psychics that scare Weezing so much and keeps fragile Special attackers off its back. Its one problem is lack of recovery unless you do Rest-talk (which is much more viable this gen.)

If you are looking for a 3rd member for this core, a bulky Grass or Dragon that can Wishpass or clear status would be nice. Celebi and Dragonite being prime examples. I also really like the idea of Latias or Rotom-C.

Last edited:
Is Assault Vest necessary? Under Sand Tyranitar has huge SpD, the equivelant of between Base 150-175 (depending on EVs). Maybe Leftovers would be better?

I'm pretty sure that the big selling point of Assault Vest on Tyranitar is that he will be able to survive Focus Blasts. Leftovers will often just tell your opponent which kind of Tyranitaur you're running.

Currently my team's defensive core is Defensive Togekiss and Assault Vest SpD Heatran. I've decided for this gen to focus on having a lot of firepower on all of my mons while still retaining good bulk, and with this combination all of them do fantastic damage while still being bulky and resisting anything thrown at me. It's a defensive core that gives me a lot of room for M-Absol and Aegislash to pursuit trap or just smack things around so it's pretty lovely.

Running Hydreigon at all in this Gen is pretty much suicide. That x4 fairy weakness is really gonna put a dent in it's relavence. Fairies will be roaming this meta game like mans business.

That being said... Jirachi/Togekiss would be interesting. Since togekiss is party fairy they can synergize pretty well.

Aegislash was a such beast i wanted to create a team around and i found it pairs well with Rotom-w with the ground/fire-immunity. Aegislash can resists grass hits in return.

/

Running Hydreigon at all in this Gen is pretty much suicide. That x4 fairy weakness is really gonna put a dent in it's relavence. Fairies will be roaming this meta game like mans business.
I disagree. Does a x4 fighting weakness make Tyranitar less relevant? How about Scizor's x4 Fire weakness? These weaknesses can and should be covered by team mates which is the point of a core.

Aegislash was a such beast i wanted to create a team around and i found it pairs well with Rotom-w with the ground/fire-immunity. Aegislash can resists grass hits in return.

/
I like this combo a lot, myself. With one special and one physical, they cover both sides of the spectrum; they also kick the shit out of SkarmBliss, not that that really means anything anymore.
You'll definitely need something to cover those unfortunate ghost and dark weaknesses, though. A Dark type might help a bit; maybe a nice Tyranitar? While its ground weakness does combine with Aegislash's, it does resist both of those types, while Aegislash resists steel, bug, grass, and is completely immune to fighting. Rotom's got those grounds and waters covered, along with steel. T-tar also has great bulk and power, and gets SR as well.
/
/

^ maybe?

I have something similar to what Shiruba suggested, except I have:
Aegislash-Noivern-Tyranitar.

Resistances seem to cancel out. Noivern seems to destroy substitute users or srsly hurts taunters that trolls aegis and I have tyranitar for other weaknesses as well as for SR setup.

Note that this is far from perfect, and is moderately working for me right now. I started from Noivern-Aegis combo and only recently added Tyranitar. Any recommendations on dark types to replace tyranitar?

You'll definitely need something to cover those unfortunate ghost and dark weaknesses, though.
Isn't Rotom bulky enough to take a few Dark and Ghost attacks though? Their moves aren't as powerful as some other types, and they only hit him neutrally.
Not that slotting in TTar is a bad idea.

I like M-Scizor / Gastrodon tbh.
Gastrodon deals with pretty much all of the things that can break the extra bulky scizor, combine that with the extra bulk on switch-in earlier in the match (after you mega-evolve the poke stays in that form even when it switches out.) they pivot around each other quite well. If you want to go the defensive route Scizor can also run a supporting set with U-turn / Defog / Roost / Bullet Punch or any of the other moves like Knock Off / Infestation whatever fits, while Gastro does it's usual thing walling everything in sight. If you combine this with say a Greninja, you can play smart around pretty much anything.

Slowking/Xatu and Mega Mawile is gonna be my core. I want to switch in to slowking when mawile is threated by fire moves and slowking will set up a trick room. Similarly, I can use Xatu to block earthquakes aimed at Mawile.

I like this combo a lot, myself. With one special and one physical, they cover both sides of the spectrum; they also kick the shit out of SkarmBliss, not that that really means anything anymore.
You'll definitely need something to cover those unfortunate ghost and dark weaknesses, though. A Dark type might help a bit; maybe a nice Tyranitar? While its ground weakness does combine with Aegislash's, it does resist both of those types, while Aegislash resists steel, bug, grass, and is completely immune to fighting. Rotom's got those grounds and waters covered, along with steel. T-tar also has great bulk and power, and gets SR as well.
/
/

^ maybe?
^ dat synergy.

I like:
1- Tyranitar Assault Vest
2- Aegislash
3- Azumarril (Aquajet + Belly drum)
4- Noivern (infiltrator)
5- Hippowdon (stealth rock)
6- MegaVenusaur (spatk + hp)

What you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)