substitute
bulk up
baton pass
magic coat
Rock slide
Low kick
Reversal
Bullet punch

Medicham for a long time has been a very decent physical attacker. With pure power, and high jump kick it does a LOT of damage, typically what you want out of a physical attacker. But, in general its strengths stop there. Medicham is pretty slow, and a lot of the time needed a scarf to function. Medicham is quite frail and has a typing that doesnt grant a myriad of resistances, so switching in is challenging. Finally, despite a solid movepool, and good STAB moves medicham could still be walled. Despite these limitations, medicham was still a big threat in its tiers for the past few generations. This generation medicham received a mega evolution and a damn good one. 100 base attack with pure power is quite literally the vert strongest unboosted/unchoiced attack in pokemon, achieving 598 with max investment and neutral nature, making titans such as Deoxys-A, Mega Mewtwo X, and Kyurem-Black look weak. Not only that, but medicham got an upgrade where it need it most. Its speed is now at a good base 100, allowing it to function much better without a scarf. Finally increased bulk is only helpful for medicham who now finds a couple more situations to switch in. So just what does medicham have that sets it apart from competition?

Sub-attacker Medicham
Medicham @ Medichamite
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly
- Hi Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Ice punch / Fire Punch / ThunderPunch / Psycho Cut
- Ice punch / Fire Punch / ThunderPunch / Psycho Cut

With a obscene attacking stat after Pure Power, passable bulk, a fantastic STAB move, and good speed MegaCham is no joke. However, despite these merits, only decent speed, and less than impressive defenses leave MegaCham wide open for eager switch-ins, and revenge kills. MegaCham lacks a means of boosting speed, and thus a boosting set is mostly worthless when so much of the OU metagame can outspeed and revenge kill you. Further still, using a mega stone prevents a scarf or band set, and finally, a 4-move all-out attacking set struggles to be useful when many immunities and viable switch-ins to MegaCham’s moves exist, and after scoring a kill with no sub up, revenge killing is easy. MegaCham’s best option is therefore as a sub-attacker. With fantastic attack and STAB in Hi Jump Kick along with 100 base speed, there will be guaranteed switch-outs, and this is when the substitute comes in. Instead of Hi Jump Kick outright and risking hitting something that you don’t want to hit, such as a ghost type, a sub allows you to ease prediction and force the opponent to take your very best attack while breaking the sub, or switch to something else while you retain your substitute advantage. HJK and Substitute are pretty much necessary, as MegaCham’s HJK is undeniably the strongest attack any Pokemon in the current OU metagame will face. The final two moveslots are for coverage. The elemental punches or a dual STAB are viable and powerful: ThunderPunch makes Slowbro and Jellicent weep, while Fire Punch is nasty against Aegislash. Ice Punch takes care of Latios, Gliscor, Landorus-T and a number of strong defensive flying Pokemon. Psycho Cut is a solid, perfectly- accurate secondary STAB move that can take a big bite out of anything it hits neutrally where HJK can’t, and a number of poison types who can tank hi jump kick. Other options include Zen Headbutt if you feel lucky, Bullet Punch for priority, and Rock Slide which can hit some Pokemon harder than elemental punches, such as.. volcarona or moltres. The selection of your coverage moves should revolve around what your team is like. If you lack Fire Punch you are walled by Aegislash, and a number of other steel types can stand up to you such as scizor; if you lack Ice Punch, Gliscor and Landorus-T have no trouble against you. However, if your team does not struggle against one of these particular threats then it is ideal that you take up another coverage move so that MegaCham is only walled by what your team fears not. In summation, MegaCham with a substitute up is a fierce wall-breaking killer that can achieve the coverage it needs to beat a lot of Pokemon -- but it can’t beat everything, so insert it on teams that need the wall breaking, and it’ll take care of threats you need it to.

Here are some calculations to demonstrate MEdicham's wall breaking ability, and how with the right moveset if it forces a switch, or gets a sub up something is going to die, making it a worthy pokemon.

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 255+ Def Celebi: 196-232 (48.51 - 57.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Psycho Cut vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 398-470 (104.46 - 123.35%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 225-265 (58.59 - 69.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 224-264 (58.03 - 68.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 492-578 (139.77 - 164.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 312-368 (88.13 - 103.95%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 433-510 (101.64 - 119.71%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 396-468 (112.5 - 132.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252 Atk Pure Power (custom) ThunderPunch vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 440-520 (124.64 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 228-268 (54.28 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) ThunderPunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 246-290 (61.04 - 71.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Jirachi: 318-375 (78.71 - 92.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 336-396 (88.18 - 103.93%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Hi Jump Kick vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 201-237 (61.46 - 72.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power (custom) Fire Punch vs. 255 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash: 148-176 (45.67 - 54.32%) -- 52.34% chance to 2HKO

Checks, Counters:
N/A. Medicham sits at a solid 100 base speed, and can OHKO a boatload of pokemon. This means that if medicham gets the momentum it needs, that is, a relatively safe switch in, it is going to kill something, or force a switch. Once medicham gets that sub up, if it has the right moves it 2HKOs anything. Your best bet is to roar out its substitute, attack it with some faster that can bear a hit, or most practically wall it due to its moveslot limitations. Mega medicham cant throw every attack onto its sets, so something is going to wall it. AEgislash walls non fire punch variants, slowbro walls non thunderpunch variants, mega venusaur does not struggle against non psychoc cut variants, and finally landor-therian is a safe bet against those who lack ice punch. Spiritomb and sableye are immune to both STAB moves and take neutral damage from elemental punches, although sableye is 2HKO'd it can break the sub with foul play and use priority Will-O-Wisp to cripple medicham. Spiritomb is bulky enough to take a number of ice punches and hit back with a strong shadow sneak or shadow ball. However, not all teams carry these pokemon, and even if you do, figuring out what coverage moves medicham has are challenging. Despite this mega medicham can be revenge killed as there exist a number of pokemon that can take a hit, break the sub, and then die allowing for a revenge kill. Mega gengar is fully capable of this, and any scarfer can also do the job, though mega gengar traps and kills medicham. Other ways to beat it are bring in a faster volt switcher/u-turner that can break the sub, then switching into something that can take the hit. Beware of a smart opponents who predict your tactic and blast whatever you bring in with the right move.

Final Thoughts
By the calculations given, medicham is probably the most potent wall breaker in OU. It requires no set up, 2HKOs just about anything and is not slow. It's also not particularly vulnerable to a switch in that could outspeed it because of the substitute either.

What other sets Could Megacham run?
Is it Outclassed by other wallbreakers perhaps?
Is u-turning, prediction, and other tactics a viable way to play around mega cham if you lack a counter?

Last edited:
Mega Medicham looks awesome. My fav mega for sure, managed to breed a Adamant flawless one today (straight 31's) with the new combination of Bullet Punch & Psycho Cut legal :).
Don't use 4 EV's in HP please, you will die in two missed Hi Jump Kicks, or won't be able to set up 4 substitutes due to even HP (this depends if it's devisable with four, I just recall 4hpEV means even hp for medi) T_T. One HJK miss, and you can only set one sub. Really bad way to spend the last EV's, put them in either Defense stat!

Also... Saying he has no counters is wierd. Cofagrigus is a counter for sure. Unless you run Psycho Cut, you will loose Pure Power to Mummy. He also takes no damage for HJK obv. There are also other checks, some are impossible to beat, especially if you run sub, and just two coverage moves :/. Sableye and Klefki both have fatal Prankster status. The former both Will-o-wisp, Immunity to BOTH your stabs, and can trick you Lagging Tail.

And I might have missunderstood your "N/A" when I think about it.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
oh whoops, will fix that EV spread

also I kind of failed to mention that the mega evolution mechanics not speeding you up for your evolution turn are a problem for megacham. The 80-100 speed tier is pretty big. I guess thats another one of it's flaws.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Medicham is awesome! Although it might not see too much usage while Mega Gengar is still in OU, it will have a niche on any team in need of an extremely powerful wall breaker. Your set is fine, but in my opinion, this is the set Mega Medicham will most likely be running:

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Bullet Punch / Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

This set is very similar to the one you posted in the OP, but with a few changes. First off, Psycho Cut is very important on Medicham this generation because of the inevitable influx of Poison-type Pokemon, and the still present Fighting-types of OU. Not only that, but Psycho Cut is a reliable STAB to lock itself into when Ghost-type Pokemon are still around. It's capable of 2HKOing physically defensive Jellicent on the switch, while demolishing the ballzy Gengar switch-ins. Bullet Punch is yet again another move that Medicham will really appreciate because of the coverage against Fairy-types that would normally wall this set, and it can also pick off faster, weakened foes. Thunder Punch is still a perfect option to OHKO Gyarados while hitting Jellicent and Azumarill harder than anything else. Fire Punch is situational but useful because it allows Medicham to hit its #1 counter, Aegislash, on the switch. Ice Punch is to shit all over Gliscor and Landorus-T who may try to force this thing out, but neither of them can comfortably take an Ice Punch.

Anyways, I don't really see a reason to run Substitute on this set other than for easing prediction, because Medicham needs all the coverage it can get in order to warrant itself a slot on most teams as a Mega evolution. I understand that it's very threatening behind a Substitute, but it isn't worth the risk of being walled by something else. I think Medicham has some decent potential in OU this generation, but like I said earlier, as long as Mega Gengar is OU, most Megas wont really see much usage aside from Lucario. Speaking of which, Mega Lucario gives Mega Medicham decent competition because of its access to Swords Dance, Adaptability boosted Bullet Punch, and Crunch to beat Aegislash. Aegislash is also a huge thorn in the side to this thing, as it completely walls it.

Last edited:
Psycho cut/Bullet punch wasn't legal gen 5? thought Psycho cut was from level up and all 3 elemental punches and bullet punch came from hitmonchan
It was illegal. Psycho cut ONLY from Abra family, BP only from Hitmonchan. Ele punches Medicham at lvl 1.

I'd suggest running:
Adamant @ Medichamite
Bullet Punch
Psycho Cut
HJK
Ice Punch

Withteam paralyze/sticky web support to further outspeed things. i for one don't like sub so much, because if you let go of one covorage move, you're easily walled by certain threats :(. I could see usage of either Elemental Punch, and even Poison Jab, depending on how the fairy usage will be. I for one prefer Ice Punch for the coverage, and being quite slow, Bullet Punch is awesome.

Edit: Gary2346 and I seem to agree:)

Ash Borer

Yeah the sub is a prediction easer to me, but when a lot of your moves incur immunities and you find it challenging to switch in i find that the substitute makes the very most of the few switches in youre granted. I'm allergic to high jump kicking unless theres a certainty that some ghost wont switch in, but a 4 attack set definitely has merit.

MegaCham looks pretty good, though I can see that Infiltrator pokes can be a huge problem for a sub set. Crobat outspeeds and destroys it with Brave Bird, and Spiritomb can WoW through its sub. Might want to mention that under checks/counters if it's gonna be relying on sub.

Yeah, he shines on predicted switches and late game clear. Key is really not to use HJK when you are not supposed to. Like you imply though, he can force switches, and get a free sub, which is nice!

I think Medicham's best niche in OU would be a Mega anti-lead set, which functions as a decent revenge killer later. Either Fake Out or Bullet Punch over Substitute gives the ability to beat sash suicide leads. Fake out is probably preferable as it helps get over most Custap leads and secures ME, but its weak without STAB, even coming off 598 Attack, since it'll never hit Super Effective, and the lack of coverage makes Medicham more susceptible to ghosts.

In the lower tiers, assuming the Medichamite isn't banned and Medicham itself isn't OU, a Bulk Up/Drain Punch set might be viable, but as mentioned above, Medicham in OU has mediocre boosting and no time to set up anyway. Its main issue will be coverage and the last two move slots are really just picking your poison.

I think Medicham's best niche in OU would be a Mega anti-lead set, which functions as a decent revenge killer later. Either Fake Out or Bullet Punch over Substitute gives the ability to beat sash suicide leads. Fake out is probably preferable as it helps get over most Custap leads and secures ME, but its weak without STAB, even coming off 598 Attack, since it'll never hit Super Effective, and the lack of coverage makes Medicham more susceptible to ghosts.

In the lower tiers, assuming the Medichamite isn't banned and Medicham itself isn't OU, a Bulk Up/Drain Punch set might be viable, but as mentioned above, Medicham in OU has mediocre boosting and no time to set up anyway. Its main issue will be coverage and the last two move slots are really just picking your poison.
Your probably right because the turn that Medi Mega evolves it still using base 80 so the best use would be as a lead to ensure it has 100 base speed later on.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you really need HJK? Does Drain Punch not wipe out everything in OU?
Quite frankly, yes it does. The extra power is generally extraordinarily necessary against physical walls, and unfortunately Drain Punch can't do that unless the user wants Medicham killed or crippled by the time it's on its second attack. Its aim should be killing as many threats as possible in possibly one hit, no BS.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you really need HJK? Does Drain Punch not wipe out everything in OU?
Of course it doesn't. We're talking about a 55 Base Power difference here. Without Hi Jump Kick, Medicham misses out on a lot of OHKOes and is no longer the fearsome wall breaker that it is with Hi Jump Kick. I understand that a 10% chance of missing can spell its doom in some cases, but is it really worth crippling Medicham so much? I mean look at this comparison for example:

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 388-457 (96.03 - 113.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 225-265 (55.69 - 65.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 233-275 (77.4 - 91.36%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 135-159 (44.85 - 52.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

With Hi Jump Kick, you're not only able to demolish Jirachi after Stealth Rock, but you also have a chance of OHKOing Latios on the switch! That's incredible power. Drain Punch is a fine alternative option for one of its coverage moves for pinch situations, but you should always be running Hi Jump Kick, or else you're better off just using Mega Lucario.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Despite the increase in stats, this still looks to be very much the same Pokemon it was last gen and the gens before. Medicham didn't need more power, it needed a complete overhaul of its gameplan. 'Attack and hope it dies' with that sorry moveset is going to keep it UU or below.

SJCrew

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 84-100 (29.57 - 35.21%) -- 19.46% chance to 3HKO

Not when it gets walled by Dusclops of all things.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 84-100 (29.57 - 35.21%) -- 19.46% chance to 3HKO

Not when it gets walled by Dusclops of all things.
Man you know what'd be great

Let's take the 2nd physically bulkiest Pokemon in the entire game (tied with Groudon), max its defenses, is one of the few Pokemon in the entire game that isn't hit by either HJK or coverage incredibly hard, and nothing except Choice Band Kyurem-Black, Zekrom, Haxorus, Rampardos, and Rayquaza is capable of 2HKOing without hazards using 120+ Power moves and put it up against a physical attacker.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham (+Atk) Zen Headbutt vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Dusclops (+Def) : 33.8% - 40.14%

And it can still 2HKO it after SR + Spikes. With a base 80 Power attack. Without holding an item.

Yeah. Not impressive in the slightest.

Ash Borer

uxie, dusclops, and cresselia are fucking RU. Their only hope of a niche in OU would be.. walling mega medicham, that is not a receivable argument. Dusclops is fucking trash, I can't believe anyone would bother brining that thing up.

I mean how hte hell is mega gengar making it so that mega cham has no business in OU? Guess that means that specs latios is crap in the current OU meta because tyranitar purusit traps it, heatran really has no place in OU when dugtrio is running around! Ferrothorn simply has no business in Ou when magnezone just traps it and kill it.

If mega gengar wants to switch in on a sub its going to get murdered by a psycho cut. IF it wants to revenge kill, great! that means mega medicham got a kill! Which means mega medicham at the very worst has broken even, oh what an impotent pokemon, that needs to be countered by sacking something.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 123-145 (27.7 - 32.65%) -- possible 4HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 116-137 (32.76 - 38.7%) -- 5.1% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 117-138 (36.67 - 43.26%) -- 99.44% chance to 3HKO

Lol.

It's still UU or BL at best IMO. Might have some potential with Bulk Up.
The thing about those pokemon you list though, how many of them are OU viable? I'd pay about one option out of three there, and probably only if cress or uxie gain access to fairy typing (I'd have paid Cress were it not for the sun nerf).

In any case, partnering megacham with tyranitar would solve a great deal of its problems based on the walls being suggested, while having the additional bonus of sand wearing down checks.

Edit: If OU is not being taken into account, any dark type/Snorlax with pursuit/dark attack can make life a misery for any of those checks listed.

SJCrew

No, you're right, this is still primarily an OU discussion. My guess was that it would end up lower due to its modest speed stat and the use of better Mega Evos. If lower tier Pokemon can still counter it pretty well, it would probably stay there unless usage dictates otherwise (like other good Megas getting banned).

Noone is doubting how impressive Medicham's HJK is. Its a 130 BP STAB coming of an attack stat near 600. His problem is not going to be because HJK does not hit on its intended targets hard enough. Rather his issue is that his coverage moves are weak, being the elemental punches or Bullet Punch, while Zen Headbutt and Psycho Cut are also fairly weak and Psychic isn't an amazing offensive type. As such, he has no really convincing way to dent things that resist HJK, and no matter what coverage moves he uses, he still has 4 moveslot syndrome.

His lack of a good boosting move, frail defences and at best, 100 base speed, mean he really has to be able to OHKO things and predict perfectly, or he doesn't really accomplish much. That being said, he will likely be able to find some niche in OU with his Mega form. While it may be reliant on support, and have a considerable amount of hard counters (read: ghosts and psychics it can't hit super-effectively), it certainly is a viable pokemon. However, in all honestly, it shouldn't be classed as OU, since its usage faces competition from other Megas, as well as fighting types like Terrakion, Infernape and Blazkien, who all have their respective strengths as fast, Physical fighting types and not quite as many weaknesses as Medicham.

Last edited:

SJCrew

Yeah, people tend to underestimate the importance of coverage moves, especially when your main STAB can often get you killed. It's going to be hard to justify a spot for Medicham in the same OU that has Blaziken and Lucario not just wallbreaking, but outright sweeping teams. Wallbreakers with low speed weren't that popular in Gen 5, and it doesn't look like they'll be making a comeback unless they have some other utility going for them. Medicham is about as one-dimensional as they come.

Ash Borer

MEga medicham gets past mega venusaur, and hippowdon better than mega lucario.. but that's about it. Yeah it's outclassed.

+2 252 Atk Adaptability (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 354-418 (84.28 - 99.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability (custom) Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 231-272 (63.46 - 74.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

that's hippo, and then venusaur. Both OHKO back with EQ against mega luke depending on spread. Mega venusaur can be EV'd to take two crunches if mega luke doesnt want to drop defenses, an hippo's EQ outright OHKOs back on an intact mega lucario cuz STAB

Ash Borer

Just kinda wanna bump this and talk a bit about how mega medicham doesi n the current metagame. AEgislash, gengar and talonflame are top 3 usage and all three give medicham a pretty damn hard time.

Stall however is very viable right now, and once the hype of these pokemon wears off, although their usage will remain high, megacham will be more viable. The sub set I think is basically compulsory with those three pokemon at the top of the charts really, on a switch force you can give all three of those mons a hard time, but a poor prediction on a 4 attack set gets beat pretty bad against the same pokemon.

Alright, based on whats happening for medicham and its movepool, I'm thinking it should now go with this set for maximum impact
Medicham @ Medichamite
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly
- Hi Jump Kick
- Baton Pass (I hope the OP was correct about this in its movepool)
- Ice punch
- ThunderPunch

In my mind, this set makes the greatest deal of sense. Medicham seems to be regarded as a destructive wall breaker, so we'll keep that aspect at least. We'll keep perfect neutral coverage for now as well, because the punches take care of coverage. As for potentially dangerous targets who may wish to swap in, well lets make life difficult and take a page out of Lando-I's book of tricks and get baton pass in there. This way you can get away from dangers like aegislash and gengar, and go straight to something like tyrannitar (probably a chople variant would cover both ghosts the best), who will get rid of those problematic pokemon, or weaken them considerably at least if given the chance, making it even harder to swap into medicham the next time round. Stick some fast scarf user/speed boosting sweeper in to take advantage of your core, and enjoy.

Well yes, this is obvious theorymon, but I'm going to suggest it anyway because I still think this is quite a dangerous pokemon who's simply being over-shadowed by a combination of even more insane threats/shiny new toys and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)