Ability Oblivious

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. Remember Taunt?

http://www.smogon.com/bw/abilities/oblivious

The above pokemon do not. They're completely unaware, because now Oblivious defends from Taunt as well as Attract.

What does this mean? Well, unfortunately, not too many fantastic Pokemon get this ability. But this means that Lickilicky, bulky and loving the nerf to Fighting, cannot be stopped from clerical duty (and unlike Magic Bouncers the dude can take a hit). Slowbro/King can trade Regenerator for the ability to recover, set up Trick Room, boost with Calm Mind, Trick an item or spread status without being stopped. Mamoswine can pretend it's worth trading in Thick Fat for guaranteed Stealth Rock (and also AMNESIA!!!!). Jynx? Lovely Kiss, in this Spore-nerfed world? Unblockable by Taunt.

True, most Oblivious pokemon aren't very good. But this can carve a new niche in the ever-growing defensive additions to this gen.

Jynx likes this, but most of the other Oblivious mons either have next to no niche anywhere that would require it or have a better ability (Mamoswine and the Slows.)

Dragon Dance Whiscash maybe???
But yeah, the users are mostly bad or have better ability options. A shame too, this is a cool change.

Unfortunately, the mons that have this already and are decent have better abilities. 1/3 health recovered for free is still much better for the Slow family, for instance. Even for Jynx having a Water immunity is better and if I'm not mistaken, not many mons in NU can safely Taunt her. A shame, since this would've been a blessing to a set-up sweeper or a staller that can actually use it.

Last edited:
Eviolite Lickitung? 90/75/75 defenses. Useable I guess but honestly not good except for untauntable wishes and heal bells and curse.

Honestly this moves has a lot bigger implications in doubles and triples than in singles (especially VGC) in that this basicaly means the only thing that can stop Slowbro from using TR is Fake Out and Imprison (both who have problems of their own), it's bulk is more than enough to survive and set it up and it's Special Attack isn't bad at all, the fast pace of Multiple battles means the lose of Regenerator isn't as important, it's item slot is free thanks to having no need to run mental herb for something like type resistant berries or leftovers.

In singles the problem with this ability is that Taunt isn't that common really, while it's a great move almost everything that abuses it does so because it has not many options that are better, most mons decide to set up themselves or attack, this would be awesome in something like Foretress or other hazard setters but otherwise, yeah, almost all the current users of the ability have a better one to abuse.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lead Sash Mamoswine loves the new Oblivious, being able to set up SR against faster Taunt leads such as Terrakion and Aeordactyl. The loss of Thick Fat on this set makes little difference anyway.

Last edited:
Lead Sash Mamoswine loves the new Oblivion, being able to set up SR against faster Taunt leads such as Terrakion and Aeordactyl. The loss of Thick Fat on this set makes little difference anyway.
*Oblivious

Though I do agree that not too many 'mons can make use of this buff, which is unfortunate.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, this is interesting, but very limited in application. I think Lead SR Mamoswine (endeavor ftw) is the only thing from the old pokes that will take this ability seriously. Thick Fat is nice, but not really important for a Focus Sash suicide lead for obvious reasons. Jynx and Slowbro/king like their alternative abilities too much I think.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Jynx likes this, but most of the other Oblivious mons either have next to no niche anywhere that would require it or have a better ability (Mamoswine and the Slows.)
Shoot!!
I shouldn't have released all of them... especially when rain (and other weather) are nerfed now.

But before people could confirm Slurpuff as not useful, I probably wouldn't hatch a new batch of Smoochum solely because of that.

As other people have mentioned, these Oblivious mons like their alternative abilities too much.

Wow, this is interesting, but very limited in application. I think Lead SR Mamoswine (endeavor ftw) is the only thing from the old pokes that will take this ability seriously. Thick Fat is nice, but not really important for a Focus Sash suicide lead for obvious reasons. Jynx and Slowbro/king like their alternative abilities too much I think.
Trick Room Slowking/Slowbro, especially in doubles, will choose Oblivious. Being the only naturally Taunt immune Pokemon is great niche for Trick Room Pokemon.

I see no reason Lickilicky wouldn't use this. Own Tempo and Cloud Nine have very little utility in NU.

It's still not very good though outside of the odd Mandibuzz or Golbat.

Jynx is never taunted.

I see no reason Lickilicky wouldn't use this. Own Tempo and Cloud Nine have very little utility in NU.

It's still not very good though outside of the odd Mandibuzz or Golbat.
Plus Serperior, Misdreavus, Skuntank, Liepard, and probably some other stuff too.

But yeah, it's definitely the best choice for him regardless.

This is going to be HUGE for Trick Room teams in VGC.
Oblivious Slowbro/king will suddenly become extremely relevant Trick Room setters I'm sure.

Definitely the best users are Slowbro/king and Lickilicky. I'm excited to use Slowbro in TR doubles. I used one back in 4th gen NU (when it was in NU) and it was amazing. It's tanky enough to guaranteed get its TR off and has enough power behind it to be threatening, plus you could possibly combo it with Gastrodon to spam surf.

So uh... Whiscash?

Whiscash@Leftovers
Adamant/Oblivious/252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
Rest
Sleep Talk
Earthquake/Stone Edge
Waterfall/Stone Edge

Not the best, obviously, but seems like it'd be annoying. Keep in mind that this is for cartridge games, and since no one I know has a Gastrodon Friend Safari...

Or better yet, instead of the one I listed above:

Whiscash@Chesto Berry
Jolly/Adamant/Oblivious
Rest
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Waterfall

No idea about good EVs, but a ChestoRest seems kinda decent now that it can't be taunted.

Slowbro/Slowking and maaaaaaybe SR Mamoswine seem like the best abusers of this. Bro and King love the ability to ignore Taunt with their Slack Off/Trick Room/various statuses. Dunno if it'd be worth running over Regenerator and Thick Fat, but it might be worth a shot.

You know how if you have Mold Breaker and use Toxic on Zangoose w/ Immunity, it gets Poisoned and then immediately cured? Does the same thing happen with Taunt & Oblivious?

Also, what about Encore? Does Oblivious prevent that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)