Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Close combat does seem sort of counter-productive on mega heracross but its the attack stat, which is base 185, that we should be abusing, not his buffed defenses.

I am a noob, I was going to go

-M-dos
-Azumaril
-Greninja
-Politoed
-Goodra
-Aegishield

this is going to be my gen 6 rain team while i wait for the pokebank to go live.... but you guys are saying M-Gydos is bad so should I replace him with a differnt mega maybe Lucario??

Weather teams have been so nerfed, I doubt Mega Charizard Y and the others will make much impact in high tiers.

Mega Banette gets Destiny Bond, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and a ton of stuff in addition to Pain Split and Substitute.
With Sableye getting a new weakness, we've found a new Prankster.

Weather teams have been so nerfed, I doubt Mega Charizard Y and the others will make much impact in high tiers.

Mega Banette gets Destiny Bond, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and a ton of stuff in addition to Pain Split and Substitute.
With Sableye getting a new weakness, we've found a new Prankster.
Mega Charizard's drought is for Mega Charizard, not the team. It gives Megazard Y a ridiculously high powered Fire Blast, and a high powered Grass Type move with no drawbacks.

What about that Speed Boost mega Blaziken? In playing a couple of online matches I managed to run into 4 people using it in a row, however I was able to kill it in one hit using mega Blastoise.

Speaking of mega Blastoise, his mega makes him able to become a much better offensive revenge killer. It's relatively high defenses make it able to survive most hits so that it can get off a hydro cannon/pump (depending on your preference). However it isn't good enough to be an effective sweeper, and functions better as a revenge killer. Why would you waste a mega to revenge kill anyway? This one is a mixed bag.

What about that Speed Boost mega Blaziken? In playing a couple of online matches I managed to run into 4 people using it in a row, however I was able to kill it in one hit using mega Blastoise.

Speaking of mega Blastoise, his mega makes him able to become a much better offensive revenge killer. It's relatively high defenses make it able to survive most hits so that it can get off a hydro cannon/pump (depending on your preference). However it isn't good enough to be an effective sweeper, and functions better as a revenge killer. Why would you waste a mega to revenge kill anyway? This one is a mixed bag.
What are Mega Blastoise's stats? He could be a lategame sweeper.

Mega Blastoise works better as an effective bulky rapid spinner, why waste a mega for that? I suppose it depends on the team, but with Excadrill being a good offensive spinner, and laking leftovers, i dunno about mega blastoise usefulness, in OU at least, in lower tiers it can be great, having water pulse be a surf with hax, dark pulse to get rid of any ghost type trying to spin block, i can see him working very fine

I really think M-Gyrados is underrated.
The switching ability of Intimidate to Mold Breaker allows to have essentially two abilities, as Intimidate activates when he enters play. Pair that with boosted stats and Dragon Dance and you have a serious threat on your hands.
I was dissapointed they made him Water/Dark, however.

People still talking about how life orb is better. It's not, and never will be. 10% recoil just isn't worth the slight boost in damage in comparison to the Mega form. Someone mentioned Pinsir being having more power because of Life Orb, but failed to mention its abysmal speed and bulk as well as how useless moxie is on it if it can't carry a sweep(It can't). I love pinsir, but he's downright useless compared to his mega form and offering spin support for him isn't that hard. Priority Flying is great, and that Double Edge is good too. Life Orb is trash if you have a Mega evolution in most cases, because it just isn't worth that 10% recoil.

Exceptions are Alakazam, Gyarados, and Garchomp. Maybe a couple of others.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
The thing about mega gyrados is that it is water/dark, and doesn't get anything special to abuse the dark type. Not only is its attack stat only 155, which is low by mega standards considering its not boosted in anyway by ability, its speed isn't boosted AT ALL. It still has only a lackluster 81 base speed and leftovers is more valuable than its increased special bulk, which only went up +30. Doesn't help it tank anything it couldn't before. +20 defense isn't that great either when the dark typing introduces many more physical weaknesses like fighting and bug. I think that mega gyrados suffers the same fate as mega heracross: normal can do other things better, and it needs more support than it should to pull its weight.

I'd like to add that I just Mega-Evolved my Charizard who was asleep while playing Pokemon Y.

I'm not sure how much this will make a difference but I thought I'd let people know.

How so? Please elaborate, Isn't Mega Charizard both faster than tyranitar as well as having instant solarbeam?
When Tyranitar switches in, sun goes down and sand comes up. Solarbeam goes from instant to two-turn charge, giving TTar a free opportunity to Stone Edge you.
Same goes for Hippowdon. Politoed Hydro Pumps instead.

Mega Blastoise is really shaping up to be my favorite MEvo both design and competitive-wise.

(Theoretically) It wall breaks, can take a few hits, spins, defeats nearly every spin-blocker 1-on-1, AND has good type coverage + some power.

I'm planning on using it on my offensive team, but is there a consensus about a good nature? I was thinking Modest in order to maximize damage output.

When Tyranitar switches in, sun goes down and sand comes up. Solarbeam goes from instant to two-turn charge, giving TTar a free opportunity to Stone Edge you.
Same goes for Hippowdon. Politoed Hydro Pumps instead.
Switching into Charizard is now going to be extremely mind-gamey. If your opponent brings in a Charizard (unevolved), you are going to want to be extremely cautious switching in a Politoed, T-Tar, or Hippowdon, because Mega-evo comes later in priority to switching, so sun is summoned over rain..

Only after it's evolved will it be easier to bring T-Tar in, but even then, it would have to be cautious of taking a Focus Blast to the face. I don't think anyone would keep their Megazard Y in when their opponent has a Politoed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)