Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.
A combination of substitute and protect can also PP stall out moves like gyro ball and stone edge.

Do you think Dazzling Gem despite being weaker and only a 2x rather then 4 be a good Ttar killer over Focus miss
IIRC Dazzling Gleam is 80 BP. So, it does a measly 25-30% to Specially Def. Ttar. It can't even 2HKO CB Tar (who usually runs 180 HP, it takes 44% max). And that's normal SpD Tar. MegaTar has increased bulk, and Assault Vest Ttar even more, so yeah, Focus Blast all the way.

If Hypnosis had something like 90% accuracy, then Hypnosis + Dream Eater might actually be pretty cool on Mega Gengar. 60% accuracy is just horrible to rely on, though, and even if it were more, you'd have to wonder why you're not running STABs + Focus Blast for coverage or something over Dream Eater.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Just throwing it out here, surprised no one mentioned it yet (or if someone did I missed it). Assault Vest Drapion is the best Mega Gengar 'counter' I've found.

252 SpA (custom) Focus Blast vs. +1 248 HP / 252+ SpD Drapion: 95-112 (27.69 - 32.65%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Drapion (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Sadly, Pursuit doesn't ohko a switching Gengar if its at 100%, but puts it at low enough that between hazards and you not being dumb and giving it completely free switches it should be no problem for the rest of the game. Been using this with great success on PO.

I just thought I should bring this up:
Chesnaught's hidden ability said:
Bulletproof: "Protects the Pokémon from some ball and bomb moves."
I think that for this reason, Gengar should always run Sludge Wave. Chesnaught, regardless of how good it is, will start out with usage. If it has bulletproof, and Gengar runs Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, it will be almost immune to Gengar.

How is anything switching out of Shadow tag Gengar? Substitute isnt bad on Gar, Im just afraid you're getting it wrong.
You set sub the turn you decide to MEvolve. Cause most likely your oppo aware of shadow tag will immidiatly bring out a counter.
That's the whole point in using sub on MeGar.

Question: Does timid still worth with a moveset sub+3attack or the stronger the better (modest). What check/counter is gonna outspeed modest MeGar (post ME) that doesn't against a timid one? (in OU and Uber environment)

Any pokemon besides tyranitar and hippowdon that can get around destiny bond without relying on prediction?

You set sub the turn you decide to MEvolve. Cause most likely your oppo aware of shadow tag will immidiatly bring out a counter.
That's the whole point in using sub on MeGar.

Question: Does timid still worth with a moveset sub+3attack or the stronger the better (modest). What check/counter is gonna outspeed modest MeGar (post ME) that doesn't against a timid one? (in OU and Uber environment)
I get your point, but that is only a one time use. After you MEvo, the whole "2HKO your counters" thing goes out of the window.

As for your question, Modest reaches 359, while Timid is 394. Off the top of my head, the major threats in that range are Starmie (361), Alakazam/Dugtrio (372), Scarf Ttar (364) and you get to speed tie with Jolteon. In ubers, Arceus (372), Tornadus-T (375), Darkrai (383) Skymin (388) and normal Mewtwo speed-ties.

So I was thinking that besides T-tar dazzling gleam/moonblast (if its a Tm) provide better coverage I have been running Dazzling gleam/shadow ball/sludge wave/focus blast with timid to great success

Gengar@Gengarite
Levitate/Shadow Tag
Timid
252-Spe/176-HP/80-SpA
-Perish Song
-Hypnosis
-Pain Split*/Dream Eater
-Trick*/Protect

Ideally, you switch in after getting some Gravity support and basically Perish-Stall it. Hypnotize the opposing 'Mon, Perish Song (3), steal it's item (2)(the Mega-Stone 'merges' with Gengar, correct?), recover some HP lost from switching in or entry hazards with Pain Split or DE(1), then switch out to something else (0, opponent dies).

Protect could be used in place of Trick in order to safely MEvolve. From there, you would switch out to something else (because most likely the opponent would switch to something that can handle you in one way or another) and then safely switch in after Gravity has been set-up, already MEvolved, and quickly putting the opponent to sleep

Would definetly want some advice on EVs. As it is right now, assuming you don't make a horrible switch in AND Gravity is in play, you get a 100% accurate Sleep-induer, and you'll typically go first, bar the Choice Scarfers. The HP and the SpA allows you to get more bang for your buck with the recovering move of choice, and the extra HP helps if you're lucky enough to steal a Leftovers/Black Sludge.

I feel like this set is kinda gimmicky, but a good part of me also feels like it can be devastating with the correct team support.

*Gen 5 Move Tutors

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Im glad we stopped bothering with Perish Stall guys, that was giving me cancer.

So, i agree completely with Accidental Greed, Protect is definetely a worthwhile move on Gengar, and Megas in general, but thats besides the point, there are boons that i think havent been mentioned: in case a choice user is being used to check gengar, your opponent CANNOT double switch, this is a huge bonus in a lot of games at switching appropiately against a whole bunch of stuff, gains momentum easily and suddenly your opponent is put in a horrible position, not only because youre likely to have killed a poke before thanks to Shadow Tag, but because his scarfer/ priority user became liability. I think Fail Blast is the better move overall, since i dont like specially defensive ferro being perfectly capable of setting 2 hazards on M Gengar.

I'll be looking around to slash Protect in the appropriate sets, thanks.

Gengar@Gengarite
Levitate/Shadow Tag
Timid
252-Spe/176-HP/80-SpA
-Perish Song
-Hypnosis
-Pain Split*/Dream Eater
-Trick*/Protect

Ideally, you switch in after getting some Gravity support and basically Perish-Stall it. Hypnotize the opposing 'Mon, Perish Song (3), steal it's item (2)(the Mega-Stone 'merges' with Gengar, correct?), recover some HP lost from switching in or entry hazards with Pain Split or DE(1), then switch out to something else (0, opponent dies).

Protect could be used in place of Trick in order to safely MEvolve. From there, you would switch out to something else (because most likely the opponent would switch to something that can handle you in one way or another) and then safely switch in after Gravity has been set-up, already MEvolved, and quickly putting the opponent to sleep

Would definetly want some advice on EVs. As it is right now, assuming you don't make a horrible switch in AND Gravity is in play, you get a 100% accurate Sleep-induer, and you'll typically go first, bar the Choice Scarfers. The HP and the SpA allows you to get more bang for your buck with the recovering move of choice, and the extra HP helps if you're lucky enough to steal a Leftovers/Black Sludge.

I feel like this set is kinda gimmicky, but a good part of me also feels like it can be devastating with the correct team support.

*Gen 5 Move Tutors

I'm pretty sure you can't trick a MEvo or use trick yourself. On the other hand there has been lots of talk about a Perish song suicide set and the Hypnosis set has too many slashes I'm just thinking of making two separate sets.

Last edited:
what is mega gengar's defence? if it is as low as regular gengar's, would a STAB psychic from a CS alakazam or starmie not do the trick?

Also, here is another counter that will either force them to switch out or allow you to destroy gengar and get your own sweeper out.

Smeargle @ focus sash, HP/252 Def/128 Sp.d/128
-trick room
-baton pass
-spore
-tail glow (or other stat boosting move of your choice)

First, use trick room and take the hit OR they will switch out to a bouncer, anticipating spore and you still have 1 hit left in you.
Then, if they did not switch, use spore. If they switched, go for tail glow.
If sleepy gengar is on the field, tail glow then baton pass to reuniclus. If not, just baton pass.

Reuniclus @ life orb + Magic Guard Sp.d/252 Sp.a/252 HP/4
-focus blast (for darks)
-psychic (for a powerful STAB)
-trick room (to renew)
-calm mind (if switching it in fails and you need a stat boost)

this set works because trick room makes Gengar's speed stat somewhat pathetic and Reuniclus, with it's superb defensive stats, can tank through any priority users that get in it's way.

what is mega gengar's defence? if it is as low as regular gengar's, would a STAB psychic from a CS alakazam or starmie not do the trick?
Wait what.
Always use Alakazam with Focus Sash. If not, use MegaZam. ScarfZam doesn't make much sense, just saying.

The Smeargle strategy is pretty nice, but what if Gengar uses Substitute? Gengar is one of the best users of the move, keep that in mind.

s
Wait what.
Always use Alakazam with Focus Sash. If not, use MegaZam. ScarfZam doesn't make much sense, just saying.

The Smeargle strategy is pretty nice, but what if Gengar uses Substitute? Gengar is one of the best users of the move, keep that in mind.
scarf is just to outspeed, and i dont know which pokes have infiltrator but i guess you could use one of them to get round the sub.

also, i think it would be possible to encore substitute if you knew it was coming, leaving them trapped fora few turns, allowing you to boost your spped so you can outspeed them when they try to OHKO you on the turn when encore runs out

Scarf Alakazam doesn't make any sense, especially now when you have access to Mega Alakazam for a speed boost while still getting other bonuses like power.

This set might have already been posted but personally this is my favorite (completely theory atm):
Gengar @ Gengarite
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp.A 164 Speed 92 HP
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt
The EVs might be off but I think at those numbers Gengar still outspeeds most common threats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)