My UU RMT

This is my first round of trying my hand at making a team in UnderUsed. After a great deal of swapping Pokemon around (I got rid of Shaymin, Sableye, Darmanitan, Dusclops, Hitmontop, Scrafty, and a great many others in the process). As it stands, here is my current team in BW UU. Yes, I know BW is ending soon. If someone would like to tell me how to make my team more XY-friendly, that's fine by me.

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

From the get-go, I realized that my team needed a Fighting-type. I tried Machamp, Scrafty, and others, but Mienshao stood out overall. Though Mienshao seems redundant initially (due to the fact that Honchkrow and Nidoking also have Fighting-type moves), he's valuable due to the fact that he possesses U-turn, forming the first half of a VoltTurn core with Rotom-H, and Stone Edge, which can nail Flying-types when it matters most. This Pokemon also hits hard and fast, especially with a Choice Scarf. His ability, Regenerator, is also perfectly suited to a scarfer, which needs to be able to survive and wreak havoc later. Even if the problematic but devastating Hi Jump Kick misses, I can still fall back on Regenerator to buff my health once more.

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Return
- Dragon Tail/Protect

When my team was too offensive and susceptible to status in my eyes, Lickilicky was dumped onto my roster rather unceremoniously, because I knew of its defensive clout. I outfitted it with this rather passive moveset (considering protect and power whip along the line) and it works rather well. This pokemon replaced Slowking, which, though superior in many ways, simply didn't have the synergy that Lickilicky, which can pass wishes and heal my whole team's status, did. He is weak to Fighting, but that's a problem easily mitigated by switching to Nidoking, which can OHKO frailer Fighting-types, or Bronzong, which is nigh-indestructible anyway and can toxic sweepers like Moxie Scrafty and Heracross. I put Protect or Dragon Tail here because it's an important choice. Protect is used to heal Lickilicky, while Dragon Tail is good for phazing sweepers out and killing weakened Kingdra or Flygon. Your pick.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The second half of my VoltTurn core, Rotom-Heat has gotten me out of many a tough spot. Choice Items were initially its thing, though I traded it in for a more defensive moveset once I realized that I needed a Pokemon that could burn things and replenish tons of health on the switch with Pain Split. His stab combination made my use of Zapdos and Darmanitan wholly superfluous, and kicking them out of my team provided some much-needed room in my lineup. Overheat isn't really a move with a lot of reliability, and it's best suited to choice users. Still, I kept it because Rotom-Heat is more of a hit-and-run Pokemon, one that burns things, then switches out with Volt Switch. Levitate is a really good ability as well, so the only hazard that Rotom-Heat fears is Stealth Rock. The reason I don't have a spinner is that I don't feel like I need it. Rotom-Heat, the only Pokemon on my team that switches in a lot and is susceptible to entry hazards, doesn't see much usage unless his coverage is ABSOLUTELY VITAL. Usually, it's not.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Ah, Nidoking. How nostalgic. I've always loved Nidoking, and I was pleasantly surprised to know that, compared to other childhood favorites like Charizard and Beedril, he's viable in the current metagame, and damn viable at that. He's got impeccable coverage, and his moveset runs the whole gamut from Fighting to Electric-type moves. Though he has some weaknesses, this isn't really that big of a deal because his whole job is to kill things, even at low HP. It's true that Focus Blast and Fire Blast sometimes fail him when they're needed most due to accuracy issues, I take what I can get. Along with Honchkrow, Nidoking is one of my two hyper-offensive Pokemon. Finally, I may have to forgo one of his coverage moves in favor of Sludge Wave come XY, because Fairy types like Azumarill (which I shudder to think about) will probably be running rampant at the beginning of the XY metagame.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Staying power, thy name is Bronzong. Bronzong, though made of metal, is a sponge for otherwise dangerous attacks. Entry hazards do nothing to this Pokemon, and neither do most unboosted neutral hits. With one weakness in Fire, an unfortunately prominent offensive type, Bronzong doesn't have many problems. He can status with Toxic, set up Stealth Rock without fearing a KO, and even OHKO Weavile, which can't even dent Bronzong's hide. Though he hasn't got a reliable recovery method, this is just one more reason to love Lickilicky, the Wish-passer. Yeah, Bronzor is this team's glue.

Honchkrow (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Finally, we have Honchkrow, the other most offensive Pokemon on my team. He's very offensive. I mean, look at him. He's a caricature of the mobster way of life. Very unscrupulous. In all seriousness, though, Honchkrow is a difficult tool to use, but when he works, he works, dammit. I've tried to use Dark-types since this team was birthed, switching from Krookodile to Scrafty to even Bisharp, Weavile and Krookodile. I tried just about everything, and finally settled on Honchkrow, my Brave Bird spammer and overall good attacker. The problem is status. Sucker Punch, the only move in Honchkrow's arsenal that mediates its utterly average speed, fails to hit when Will-O-Wisp or Toxic is used. This utterly cripples this bird, though I sometimes predict status and switch to one of my three Pokemon that some forms of status screw up against. Honchkrow is problematic to use but really works in the later stages of the game, when people that are very desperate end up very, very dead because of Sucker Punch.

So that's my team. Rate it, please.

Last edited:

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Hey there, this team looks awesome.

I have a suggestion, though. Why not replace Lickilicky with Umbreon or Clefable?

I recommend Umbreon more, because its defenses are SKY HIGH and it can still support the team with Wish and Heal Bell, and also gets a few really cool moves like Foul Play or Yawn.

Umbreon: Pros

- Better defenses than Lickilicky
- Slightly bigger movepool
- Can take on more threats in the UU metagame
- Has the ability Synchronize to status the opponent if they try to status you

Cons: None, really.

But if you want, you can go with Clefable, who has Wish and Heal Bell as well, but has a much wider movepool. The little fairy also has a better typing in a Fairy and a better ability in Magic Guard, which prevents it from taking any passive damage from entry hazards, weather, status like poison or burn, recoil-inducing moves that it gets like Double-Edge, OR Life Orb. It's a really good ability.

Clefable: Pros

-Wider movepool
- Has similar defenses
- Gets the Magic Guard ability
- Better typing

Cons:

- Slightly lower defenses

Well, as you can see, there are Pokemon that can do Lickilicky's job better, so pick one. Personally, I prefer Umbreon because of its AMAZING bulk.

Well anyway, I hope I helped! :D Good luck with the team!

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nice team you have here although I'd like to make a few suggestions.

Mienshao: Looks good although I would recommend adding aerial ace over drain punch so you can guarantee the kill on scarf heracross. Using reckless is another option just to power up that HJK and it can come in handy for dealing big damage.

Licky: Pretty outclassed in UU. I recommend using umbreon.

Umbreon with Leftovers
252hp/252spdef/4def Calm
Heal Bell/Wish/Protect/Foul Play

Nidoking: Fine as it is although seeing as you already have 2 pokes hitting hard with physical, let alone fighting type moves, I recommend switching focus blast to tbolt just to deal with bulky waters slightly better.

Rotom-H: Fine as it is.

Bronzong: Seeing as how you already have two special walls I recommend changing this set to physically defensive.

252hp/252Def/4attack with a Relaxed nature and 0 speed IVs. Same moveset.

Honchkrow: Seeing as this is your physical powerhouse I recommend changing the set a bit.

Honchkrow with Life Orb
252atk/252spe/4spdef Adamant
Pursuit/Sucker Punch/Superpower/Brave Bird

Adding pursuit allows you to sneak in an extra moxie boost when someone wants to switch out at low hp to prevent such moxie boost or even to help play a prediction game when the opponent is fearing sucker punch.

Overall you are still slightly weak to fighting types but the addition of physically defensive zong helps that a bit coupled with the fact that mienshao can revenge as well as honchkrow (with sucker punch at a certain hp)

Thank you so much for the suggestions, guys! This is really helping me improve my team. I tweaked the Pokemon, EV's, and movesets a bit to better suit your comments. I disagreed with one thing that Royalty said, and I'll elaborate on that later. Without further ado...

Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

First up is Mienshao. It was noted in the comments to my original team that I should replace the redundant Drain Punch with Aerial Ace. I did, and it was very successful against the extremely common Heracross and the uncommon (but still potentially potent) Virizion. Ability-wise, I didn't end up replacing Regenerator with Reckless because I felt that it was far easier to just switch out and gain loads of health back. It didn't make sense to me, because Hi Jump Kick has so much power already. So, yeah. Way more helpful set.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Looking back on it, I think that it was a moronic idea to choose Lickilicky. He didn't work very well in my team anyway, so I traded this wannabe pink blob in for a shiny (literally) new Umbreon. It fulfills the same role as Lickilicky, but with better typing and Stab and a way cooler design. This is a top-notch utility Pokemon.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Of all of my Pokemon, Rotom-Heat was the only one that didn't get commented on. This precious babbu will therefore remain as is.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 152 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

As per instructions, I replaced Nidoking's Focus Blast with Thunderbolt, a great idea which improved my coverage and lowered my reliance on inaccurate moves, which I now have only one of.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Now, Bronzong is extremely potent in the Defense department. It works a lot better when attempting to stop Scrafty and the like.

Honchkrow (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Roost/Pursuit?

Honchkrow is the Pokemon whose improvement plan I didn't follow up on. Royalty's idea was to replace Roost with Pursuit to nab Moxie boosts on the switch, which sounds like a damn good idea. I kind of felt weird about this, because I have a whole strategy with Roost, where I bluff with Sucker Punch a couple of times, and then use roost when the opponent is about to restore his HP or boost stats. I don't really know what to do with this one, but I'll try running both sets a bit more and get to know the new set better.

Thanks for your help, guys. Couldn't have altered the team without you.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
You're welcome, LittleCupFailure. Glad to help :D

Hee hee... Little Cup failure... Lol ;)

Oh and by the way, do you have import-ready version of the (new) team? I want to try it out. Badly.

I think your team could really use a spinblocker. I know that Bronzong has massive bulk (unlike the rock-setter in my team at http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-first-rmt.3488806/) but it still deserves a spinblocker. I'll give you 2 options.
Option 1:
Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 Def / 252 HP / 52 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Will-O-Wisp
Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Option 2:
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/8SpD
Bold Nature
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball
Pain Split
Haze(for Cosmic Power Sigilyph)/Knock Off(for trolling everything else)

You're welcome, LittleCupFailure. Glad to help :D

Hee hee... Little Cup failure... Lol ;)

Oh and by the way, do you have import-ready version of the (new) team? I want to try it out. Badly.
Yeah, here you go.
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 152 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Honchkrow (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

I think your team could really use a spinblocker. I know that Bronzong has massive bulk (unlike the rock-setter in my team at http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-first-rmt.3488806/) but it still deserves a spinblocker. I'll give you 2 options.
Option 1:
Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 Def / 252 HP / 52 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Will-O-Wisp
Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Option 2:
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/8SpD
Bold Nature
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Ball
Pain Split
Haze(for Cosmic Power Sigilyph)/Knock Off(for trolling everything else)
I really do like Mismagius and Cofagrigus, and I think I'll utilize one of these sets in the next team I make. I do need a spinblocker, but I also really need Bronzong to OHKO Weavile and Speed Boost users like Ninjask with Gyro Ball. Bronzong also has a unique niche because it can also set up stealth rock, use toxic on walls, and utilize powerful Ground-type moves if Nidoking goes under. So, yeah. Bronzong will stay on this team. Stay tuned, though, because it's possible that I'm going to make a new team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)