Pokémon Malamar

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how big is the chance of this pokemon having a use in double battles? I can see Topsy Turvy being a really useful VGC move honestly..

So i tried my spread for the ContraRussia Malamar and while i'm possitive he'll outspeed even Timid sticky web Galvantula, My Malamar is having huge trouble OHKO'ing stuff even with 31 IVs in attack. For example i started worrying when he wasn't able to OHKO a wild level 30 Tangela with super power when he was level 50. With just 52 EVs in attack would he be able to OHKO Galvantula with rock slide? Remember if galvantula outspeeds malamar it is guaranteed to get OHKO'd by Bug Buzz.

I used the set in the OP on Pokemon showdown to great effect, getting boosts from King's Shield and destroying a Coil Zygarde. After using it for a few battles I'm fairly certain that Malamar will never be OU. It just doesn't have the speed or defences necessary, and there are few OU set up Pokemon that he can switch in to to Topsy Turvy. However, I believe it will be a great UU Pokemon and will become incredibly useful in doubles play.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen6customgame-57776164

Malamar will never go higher than RU because of one thing...

...U-turn and there are too many U-turners in uppertiers its unfortunately that simple. Plus add any QuiverDancers or Bugbuzzers in UU and higher it doesnt stand a chance and thats without even commenting On its stats. In current RU the most of bugs itll have to deal with is Galvantula and Scyther i believe. Galvantula may get moved up and Vivillion may replace it but at least 2 4xSE STAB threats is better than 50 unSTAB threats running with a 4xSE move

I used the set in the OP on Pokemon showdown to great effect, getting boosts from King's Shield and destroying a Coil Zygarde. After using it for a few battles I'm fairly certain that Malamar will never be OU. It just doesn't have the speed or defences necessary, and there are few OU set up Pokemon that he can switch in to to Topsy Turvy. However, I believe it will be a great UU Pokemon and will become incredibly useful in doubles play.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/gen6customgame-57776164
Hmmm... Interesting. Looks like Topsy Turvy can make the foe's stat-setup against itself ending wasting it's time while Malamar sets-up + hits with Superpower.

So Serebii has Malamar listed as egg group Water 1 and 2 now. I'm fairly sure it was only listed as water 1 before. Any potential egg moves to check for out of water 2?

After investigating, the only thing I really see here is Sharpedo... I've already tried getting Malamar Aqua Jet from Floatzel but that didn't work. Dunno what else to try.

Malamar will never go higher than RU because of one thing...

...U-turn and there are too many U-turners in uppertiers its unfortunately that simple. Plus add any QuiverDancers or Bugbuzzers in UU and higher it doesnt stand a chance and thats without even commenting On its stats. In current RU the most of bugs itll have to deal with is Galvantula and Scyther i believe. Galvantula may get moved up and Vivillion may replace it but at least 2 4xSE STAB threats is better than 50 unSTAB threats running with a 4xSE move
There is a thing called the boosts you get from contrary superpower preventing the OHKO. If you lack boosts then just switch to something that doesn't get killed by it.

Also I rarely see U turners/U turn cores in anything below OU.

There is a thing called the boosts you get from contrary superpower preventing the OHKO. If you lack boosts then just switch to something that doesn't get killed by it.

Also I rarely see U turners/U turn cores in anything below OU.
UU has a good amount of U-turners currently. Tiers may or may not change not much but to name a few: Crobat, Azelf, Flygon, and Mienshao

I personally think Malamar should strictly be used to counter aegislash for the time being.

Its easily the best counter to it that we know of thusfar.

Now maybe in UU this thing is gonna be a huge threat, maybe it'll see OU glory because of contrary, we'll really just have to wait and see.

I personally think Malamar should strictly be used to counter aegislash for the time being.

Now maybe in UU this thing is gonna be a huge threat, maybe it'll see OU glory because of contrary, we'll really just have to wait and see.
Except it's not... at all. Even with 252HP, switching into Aegislash at +2 it's OHKO by shadow claw, and sacred sword has a 62.5% chance to OHKO. The special set you can't switch in on to begin with since any attack you switch in on will do massive damage... It's far from a counter, unless the Aegislash user is stupid enough to kings shield.

SinfulPanda69

Banned deucer.

Conkeldurr might be able to be a good counter "for Aegislash", outslowing it, taking a hit with it's massive defense, and annihilating it in attack forme with a base 100 power super effective payback.

Edit: I put in "for Aegislash" to make ABNDT happy.

Last edited:
Dark resists itself, so Payback will be neutral.

Wait, "attack forme?" I think you're in the wrong thread.

So why bring up the relationship between Conkeldurr and Aegislash in the Malamar thread? Would your post not be better served in, say, the Aegislash thread?

SinfulPanda69

Banned deucer.
So why bring up the relationship between Conkeldurr and Aegislash in the Malamar thread? Would your post not be better served in, say, the Aegislash thread?
Well, I was replying to DivideInfinity. It is true, however, that it would be more fit in an Aegislash thread. Our conversation should be in a chatroom, but it is not, is it? Let's just forget all about this, shall we ABNDT?

Conkeldurr might be able to be a good counter "for Aegislash", outslowing it, taking a hit with it's massive defense, and annihilating it in attack forme with a base 100 power super effective payback.

Edit: I put in "for Aegislash" to make ABNDT happy.
Problem is, Aegislash can just maintain itself in shielf forme and get swords dance.

Anyways, already got the pokemons. Gonna breed Arbok with a Dragalge to check for Sucker punch. Results soon.

Except it's not... at all. Even with 252HP, switching into Aegislash at +2 it's OHKO by shadow claw, and sacred sword has a 62.5% chance to OHKO. The special set you can't switch in on to begin with since any attack you switch in on will do massive damage... It's far from a counter, unless the Aegislash user is stupid enough to kings shield.
Malamar outspeeds doesn't it? So, switch in on the swords dance, topsy-turvy, Aegislash is now at -2

But yeah, that's prolly the only case Malamar can deal with it, 150 base attack is pretty terrifying as is.

Honestly, the way I see Malamar is that he is not kind of good all by himself, but he is able to brilliantly counter many things.

Honestly, the way I see Malamar is that he is not kind of good all by himself, but he is able to brilliantly counter many things.
Malamar needs hazards and he'd be set. I still think he'd be resigned to RU at the least because his 4x weakness to Bug but having hazards and decent stats before Superpower he could do okay. My question is outside of dual-stab and superpower what are you all thinking for a 4th slot?

Malamar needs hazards and he'd be set. I still think he'd be resigned to RU at the least because his 4x weakness to Bug but having hazards and decent stats before Superpower he could do okay. My question is outside of dual-stab and superpower what are you all thinking for a 4th slot?
Topsy Turvy pretty much spells doom for pokemon like Aegislash or maybe pokemon that have managed to set up a couple of curses (not sure if people even still use Curse movesets). Hypnosis has bad accuracy but i think it's worth mentioning.

assault vest set is viable less survivable then chestorest long term but it can set up on a fair amount of special attackers that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)