Pokémon Heliolisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I suppose. Heliolisk is like Manectric is a way, but it trades Switcheroo for Surf and Grass Knot. He's a good idea for a weatherless set.

Heliolisk
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Sp
Moves: Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Surf, Hidden Power Ice

Heliolisk seems really interesting but now that we know galvantula gets sticky web I feel like he's gonna be the go to electric type for most teams. Is there any reason to run both of these guys? Helioslisk is a bit stronger it seems and has good abilities but it seems like galvantula can do allot of the same things and use sticky web.

Well Galvantula doesn't get free switch ins on ghosts and water Pokemon, and you don't really run it on a sun team.

Galvantula has Sticky Web, Compoundeyes Thunder and at least it can run something with its secondary STAB

Heliolisk has higher Special Attack, potentially two immunities (One of which heals it), better coverage moves and it gets benefits from three weathers

Galvantula has Sticky Web, Compoundeyes Thunder and at least it can run something with its secondary STAB

Heliolisk has higher Special Attack, potentially two immunities (One of which heals it), better coverage moves and it gets benefits from three weathers
And I really feel like sticky web is enough that people will commonly choose gal over this guy.

How do you guys feel about this checking (not countering) Aegislash? It has a perfect typing for it by being immune to Shadow Sneak and resisting Iron Head, although that targets the weaker of its defenses still. It can Dark Pulse back for at least a fair amount of damage. The only knock on this idea is that it can't Taunt away King's Shield which would force Aegislash into defensive stance.

How do you guys feel about this checking (not countering) Aegislash? It has a perfect typing for it by being immune to Shadow Sneak and resisting Iron Head, although that targets the weaker of its defenses still. It can Dark Pulse back for at least a fair amount of damage. The only knock on this idea is that it can't Taunt away King's Shield which would force Aegislash into defensive stance.
I'm not sure about this since Aegislash may carry Sacred Sword.

Recently, I have been having thoughts on using Dry Skin Heliolisk on a Drought team. Yeah, I know that he will lose HP each turn under the sun and all, but we now have some points to take into account:

1 - Dry Skin does give him a immunity against Water-type moves, which is nice to sun teams.
2 - Drought now only lasts 5 turns, so Heliolisk can enter after Drought's last turn, when the opponent thinks that it is safe to spam Water-type moves. It est, a failsafe.
3 - Seeing that you are using a sun team, your opponent - thanks to Team Preview - shall surely assume that you are running Solar Power. Tricking your opponent into wasting turns and getting free switches isn't a bad thing.
4 - It is really good against rain teams. Bringing Dry Skin Heliolisk against a rain team can turn tables in many situations.
5 - He has some synergy with Charizard. Heliolisk can take Water, Ghost and Electric-type moves aimed at MegaZard Y (providing the Electric ones are NOT physical), while Charizard can switch in on a predicted Fighting or Ground move aimed at Heliolisk.
6 - Heliolisk can outspeed any non-scarf Keldeo, so if you switch on a predicted water move, you can either force it out or hurt him (not sure about OHKOes, even with Life Orb).

Of course Dry Skin Heliolisk is best used on Rain Teams, but catching your opponent off guard seems really nice. It's like a inverse version of Fundance's post about the Solar Power variant being used on rain teams, just with the drawback of being weak to Fire and losing health in the sun (which can be avoided or lessened with some level of predicion)

I feel like Heliolisk needs to be paired with a ghost pokemon though. Anything that can block those inevitable Mach Punch users and preferrably destroy them. Mega Gengar or Aegislash perhaps?

Right now I think Dry skin Heliolisk is the best one. Its ability is useful even outside of rain and allows it to attempt to revenge kill Azumarill safely without fear of Aqua Jet (or chase it out, in which case it will volt switch the incoming counter and allow you to safely pass in a counter-counter)

Of course I really want solar power heliolisk to be good but the fact that it relies on sun and can't even learn Sunny Day on its own is just really infuriating.

I feel like Heliolisk needs to be paired with a ghost pokemon though. Anything that can block those inevitable Mach Punch users and preferrably destroy them. Mega Gengar or Aegislash perhaps?

Right now I think Dry skin Heliolisk is the best one. Its ability is useful even outside of rain and allows it to attempt to revenge kill Azumarill safely without fear of Aqua Jet (or chase it out, in which case it will volt switch the incoming counter and allow you to safely pass in a counter-counter)

Of course I really want solar power heliolisk to be good but the fact that it relies on sun and can't even learn Sunny Day on its own is just really infuriating.
Yes, Ghost-Types are fundamental to him. Jellicent and Mega Gengar (its non-mega evolved forme is also good because it gets Levitate) and the likes are awesome to him, since Heliolisk can "take" Ghost-type moves aimed at them with no problem at all and in turn they can switch on Normal and Fighting moves. I have my doubts about Aegislash, though. They share a weakness in Ground-Type moves, and, on the Dry Skin set, another one to Fire-types.

Not necessarily. Electric, fire and ice together score perfect neutral coverage, I'm pretty sure. Yes its unfortunate if you're using dry skin under rain, but outside of that its still pretty good.
Sand teams would LOVE this guy as a special counterbeater. Pretty much nothing that beats typical sand can fail to die to Heliolisk with the Elemental Trio Coverage.

Unfortunately Heliolisk doesn't get Heat Wave (bred with Zard).

I was trying to think of how this guy could use Solar Power in double battles. His movepool isn't that great, but Parabolic Charge could be used to offset Solar Power damage (and it's not that weak in doubles). Also, he can abuse the Solar Power/ Volt Switch, and maybe a STAB Round would be good?

Viable moves for Solar Power Heliolisk seem to be
Round
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Parabolic Charge
HP Ice/Fire
Grass Knot

Heliolisk, beyond Surf, your movepool is as barren as the deserts you hail from.

I was thinking about Stab Round. It's the only special normal stab he can easily learn. Echo voice or Hyper Voice would have been so much better but I guess if you really want to use a normal move...

I was only talking about the double battles context though. Offensive weather teams seem to be more viable there and Round could actually do real damage there.

Could anyone tell me how this Heliolisk would work out?

Heliolisk@LifeOrb
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp. atk, 4 Def
Move pool:
Thunderbolt (for stab)
Dark Pulse
Surf (For dem Ground types)
Thunder Wave

If you could please leave any suggestions, that would be great.

Thx!

Could anyone tell me how this Heliolisk would work out?

Heliolisk@LifeOrb
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Sp. atk, 4 Def
Move pool:
Thunderbolt (for stab)
Dark Pulse
Surf (For dem Ground types)
Thunder Wave

If you could please leave any suggestions, that would be great.

Thx!
I dont know why you would use dark pulse over anything else.

there are better moves out there, either as coverage (hp ice, grass knot) or for stab (nature power)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Heliolisk is probably tied with pangoro as being my favorite gen 6 pokemon. Love this guy's speed and good power and his dry skin ability is the icing on the cake. The immunity to ghost moves and thunder wave is also great. It can probably easily run a sub set since it can switch into most water types and use substitute while they switch out. Then it could parahax whatever counter comes in or surf any ground type trying to block t wave. Its parabolic charge is also pretty cool since its pretty much like a (weaker but kinda better coverage wise) giga drain. If you provide it some rain it can surf and thunder like no tomorrow. The only thing I think it needs is a fire move to hit those pesky grass types. I mean a fire move makes perfect sense on it since it seems to be like a solar panel with its frills spreading out. It even has solar power as an ability to show for it. Why nintendo must you be so cruel >.<

Going with what I just said, this would be a cool set on it.

Heliolisk@Life Orb/Zap Plate
Timid 252 sp. atk / 252 spe / 4 sp def

- Substitute
- Thunder wave/grass knot/hp ice
- Surf
- Parabolic charge/Thunderbolt

(it could learn nature power?? o.o cuz if it could thats a stab tri attack right there)

Last edited:
Heliolisk is probably tied with pangoro as being my favorite gen 6 pokemon. Love this guy's speed and good power and his dry skin ability is the icing on the cake. The immunity to ghost moves and thunder wave is also great. It can probably easily run a sub set since it can switch into most water types and use substitute while they switch out. Then it could parahax whatever counter comes in or surf any ground type trying to block t wave. Its parabolic charge is also pretty cool since its pretty much like a (weaker but kinda better coverage wise) giga drain. If you provide it some rain it can surf and thunder like no tomorrow. The only thing I think it needs is a fire move to hit those pesky grass types. I mean a fire move makes perfect sense on it since it seems to be like a solar panel with its frills spreading out. It even has solar panel as an ability to show for it. Why nintendo must you be so cruel >.<

Going with what I just said, this would be a cool set on it.

Heliolisk@Life Orb/Zap Plate
Timid 252 sp. atk / 252 spe / 4 sp def

- Substitute
- Thunder wave/grass knot/hp ice
- Surf
- Parabolic charge/Thunderbolt

(it could learn nature power?? o.o cuz if it could thats a stab tri attack right there)
Heliolisk does look like something that could benefit from a Sub, granted it's only on a switch or a resisted Special Attack, because Heliolisk's bulk is akin to a wet paper bag. (62/52/94) Thunder Wave isn't exactly the best of moves to run on Heliolisk either, thanks to this pathetic bulk. Though, an Ice-type move would generally give Heliolisk better coverage than a Fire-type move due to the fact that it otherwise can't counter Dragons. A Normal-type STAB wouldn't help, seeing as it only would have neutral coverage against Dragons, and that base 109 Special Attack holds it back somewhat. Who knows, this might be the whole reason that Heliolisk would be kept out of OU.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
sure normally t wave wouldnt work on a frail pokemon but it does if its behind its sub. It just gives it a way to better handle its dragon/grass counters. Even more so to help neuter swift swimmers that can tank its hits like ludicolo.

why does everyone slashes parabolic charge on the movesets? its a 50 BP move its like using mega drain and it really doesnt pay off on such frail pokemon imo

just breeded this
Helioptile - #694 (Timid)Dry Skin : 27 / 6 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31
Hidden Power: Ice

To be used on rain team
Heliolisk Timid(Life Orb)
Dry skin
252 spa,4 spdef,252 speed
Substitute
Thunder/thunderbolt
Surf
Hp ice

using grass knot means i will be walled by grass types so im kinda iffy about what to choose for the last slot really but he really likes the rain , Hp recover,100% accurate thunder and it Powers Up Surf.

Weatherless
Heliolisk Timid(Choice specs)
Dry skin
252 spa,4 spdef,252 speed
Grass knot
Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
Surf
Hp ice

what you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)