Battle Mechanics Research

I'm not sure where to put this, but it seems that ALL Pokemon in the Undiscovered group have three perfect IVs. Not only legendaries and babies, but I checked a Nidorina I caught and it too had three perfect IVs. This would mean it also applies to Unown, although that is moot because you can't catch it in this game and it sucks. I wonder what IVs a Friend Safari Nidorina would have.
Caught a couple of togepi's in Friend Safari, and they had 3 perfect IV's

Are Grass types immune to "Powder"?
I think this is likely but I haven't seen confirmation (Are there any grass types with access to fire moves other than Hiden Power?)

Since Defog got a buff and a lot of other mechanics/moves changed this gen, could someone test if Safeguard now blocks taunt and such moves, and maybe even entry hazards
tested with Zeb. Safeguard doesn't block Stealth Rock, I can't imagine it blocking other hazards at all. Didn't test Taunt but it just doesn't make much sense for it to do so.

Also tested how Switcheroo interacts with Mega Stones with Zebraiken. This is what happened:

Inkay could Switcheroo a Gengarite onto a Clawitzer
Inkay could NOT Switcheroo a Gengarite onto a Gengar.
Inkay could Switcheroo a Gengarite onto a Gyarados (another Pokemon capable of mega evolution).

Switcheroo did not remove a Gyaradosite from either a regular Gyarados, or a Mega Gyarados. It acts like Arceus Plates basically.

Okay, so Knock Off does get a 1.5x multiplier when it knocks off an item? Why were there conflicting reports earlier? Were people trying to use it on mega evolutions? Or does Knock Off's bonus differ depending on which item is knocked off?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so Knock Off does get a 1.5x multiplier when it knocks off an item? Why were there conflicting reports earlier? Were people trying to use it on mega evolutions? Or does Knock Off's bonus differ depending on which item is knocked off?
the earlier reports were just a mistake someone made, read up on this same page to answer your other questions

That was my bad. I think I was testing it on a Venusaur holding Venusaurite.

I just did some testing with a friend of mine and found that Pickpocket will activate on the turn that a consumable item is used and the opponent hits you with a contact move.

For the sake of this test, I used a Chople Berry and my friend used a King's Rock. When his Rock Smash activated my Chople Berry, I stole his King's Rock afterwards. This could mean a lot for the few Pokemon that get Pickpocket.

Battle video: H5AW-WWWW-WWWX-RQRK

More on the Florges family's abilities. Symbiosis immediately passes along the Symbiosis users item to the partner after their item is consumed. I tested this again with V4Victini. I had a Normal Gem Bulbasaur and a Chesto Berry Symbiosis Floette on my side of the field. Bulbasaur used Tackle and consumed his Normal Gem. Before the attack even happened, Floette passed along its Chesto Berry to Bulbasaur.

If you'd like to look at it yourself, you can find the battle video at G7WG-WWWW-WWWX-CQ4N
WAIT WHERE DID YOU GET A NORMAL GEM? I haven't been able to find any elemental gems so I assumed they didn't exist in this game

I think the Hidden Power thing on the OP is a little off. I have a Pokemon with 31/31/31/22/26/30 IVs which was Flying in previous generations but it is now Bug type.

OK, so it seems the 3 IVs from Friend Safari overrides the 2 IVs from the egg group.
It is the other way around(ie. 3 perfect IVs are from Undiscovered Egg Group, 2 perfect IVs are from Friend Safari).

Yes. Confirmed by TPCi before the games were released.
No, they didn't meant the the generic group of Powder moves, they meant Vivillon's new Powder move, which grants immunity against Fire-type moves for one turn and deals damage for the opposing Pokémon if they use a Fire-type move. That still needs to be tested.

Also, Pumkaboo-Gourgeist can learn Fire-type moves so they should be an easy subject to test against.

I think the Hidden Power thing on the OP is a little off. I have a Pokemon with 31/31/31/22/26/30 IVs which was Flying in previous generations but it is now Bug type.
Interesting... how did you calculate your IVs? I've just checked my Gogoat using Metalkid's calculator and it's Hidden Power corresponds to the old formula (IVs of 16 - 17 / 6 / 16 / 24 / 5 / 19 (the 16 or 17 doesn't make a different to the result), which also suggests the OP's HP calcs are a bit off, but I'm curious to find out more information.

Interesting... how did you calculate your IVs? I've just checked my Gogoat using Metalkid's calculator and it's Hidden Power corresponds to the old formula (IVs of 16 - 17 / 6 / 16 / 24 / 5 / 19 (the 16 or 17 doesn't make a different to the result), which also suggests the OP's HP calcs are a bit off, but I'm curious to find out more information.
I calculated my Mewtwo's IVs. The Judge said it has max HP, Atk and Def and then I put it's stats on an IV Calculator and yeah.

I calculated my Mewtwo's IVs. The Judge said it has max HP, Atk and Def and then I put it's stats on an IV Calculator and yeah.
Fair enough... I just checked one of my Skiddos I'm breeding and it came out again equal to the old formula. IVs of 31 / 31 / 31 / 21 / 31 / 3 and Hidden Power Dark. (There were a couple variations for the SpAtk and Speed, but only two and three values respectively and out of all the combinations the only one that came up Dark on either formula was the above combination. 31 / 31 / 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 2 - 4 was the spread in case anyone is interested)

Which Calculator did you use? Also where did you get the Bug type from? The Calculator or the guy in game? Also if you can, any chance you could post the Mewtwo's stats and potential (and nature, and characteristic?))?

EDIT: Looking back at my Skiddo, if we went by the new formula (ie the OPs) then it should have had a Fairy type HP as all the values are odd. So in theory this proves that the formula change isn't so simple, or the fact that there is no Fairy HP (has anyone actually gotten it yet?).

Last edited:
Fair enough... I just checked one of my Skiddos I'm breeding and it came out again equal to the old formula. IVs of 31 / 31 / 31 / 21 / 31 / 3 and Hidden Power Dark. (There were a couple variations for the SpAtk and Speed, but only two and three values respectively and out of all the combinations the only one that came up Dark on either formula was the above combination. 31 / 31 / 31 / 20 - 21 / 31 / 2 - 4 was the spread in case anyone is interested)

Which Calculator did you use? Also where did you get the Bug type from? The Calculator or the guy in game? Also if you can, any chance you could post the Mewtwo's stats and potential (and nature, and characteristic?))?
I forget which one I used but here are my Mewtwo Stats. I just used a Reset Bag on it to reset it's stats.
It has a Jolly Nature and it "Takes plenty of siestas"

As for the Bug type, the Hidden Power guy told me that it's Bug.

Sweet thanks for that. What level is it by the way? Also do you know it's potential? (the first thing the Judge says, outstanding, relatively superior etc) The level is the main thing still needed though.

Sweet thanks for that. What level is it by the way? Also do you know it's potential? (the first thing the Judge says, outstanding, relatively superior etc)
Oh it's Level 78 and the judge says it's Outstanding

EDIT: Oh and it's Stats with the EVs are 314/243/169/234/165/273 with 194/220/96 on HP/ATK/SPE
Which I will be changing sometime later lol

EDIT 2: Huh weird...it comes up differently on Metalkid's :/

Last edited:
Oh it's Level 78 and the judge says it's Outstanding

EDIT: Oh and it's Stats with the EVs are 314/243/169/234/165/273 with 194/220/96 on HP/ATK/SPE
Which I will be changing sometime later lol
The spread showing on MetalKid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx) is 31/31/31/19 - 21/26/29 - 30 and with the combination 31/31/31/19(21)/26/30 you'd get Hidden Power Bug (using both the old Gen formula as well as the one in the OP).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)