Other Most Improved Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you think has improved from previous generations?

As a secondary question, since it would be dumb making another thread for this question: who is the most nerfed pokemon in the Generation transition?

Last edited:
Charizard, Kangaskhan, Amphraros, Absol, and Mawile are probably the biggest improvers.

As for non Megas:

Azumarill
Togekiss
Roserade
Galvantula
Shuckle
Clefable
Yanmega (I'm surprised no one has mentioned it with the Defog buff)
Scolipede
Exploud

most of the pokemon seem to be for the most part the same this gen, but there are 2 big winners (ignoring mega evos here).

scolipede is definitely the biggest winner here thanks to speed boost. it will usurp ninjask's niche of speed boost + baton pass, and also has other nice things like spikes and the ability to actually do damage with megahorn.

exploud is the second biggest winner. while it wont be in ou with the changes, before, it was a PU pokemon that wasnt even very good in pu. with boomburst, i could easily see it making ru as it is a strong wallbreaker with specs scrappy boomburst (in current ru, it 2hkos 90% of the tier with just boomburst alone!)

azumarill / galvantula are special mentions

Azu received a massive boon in relation to its typing, as well as it's move pool.

Togekiss is quite possibly one of the most improved. The loss of normal typing lets it become a better check to the fighting moves, and it has become a one stop counter to sub SD garchomp running dual STABs. Not ignoring it's overall usefulness as a dragon check in general.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
My vote goes to Charizard, with 2 Mega Evos that can easily make it to OU each in my opinion, not to mention a secondary support move with the Gen transition that can be very well defining to his viability, without taking M evos into account, in Defog, imo the most improved one in the Gneration transition.

As a secondaty question, sinc it would be dumb making another thread for this question: who is the most nerfed pokemon in the Gneration transition?

By definition, the most improved Pokemon is Mawile, who'll move from the bottom of NU to high OU.
Agreed. Mawile gets a noticeably massive boost with a Mega Evolution with a BEASTLY ability on top of above-average stats. It comes up from the depths of PU; where it's going to end up is questionable (because of lack of recovery outside of Pain Split and lackluster Speed and HP, which somewhat mitigates its great typing and Defenses), but it got MUCH better.

As for Pokemon that did not get Mega Evolutions, I'd say Scolipede, which will be MUCH better with Speed Boost and +10 to its base Attack. Galvantula definitely got a niche with Sticky Web, but it's a mediocre Pokemon on its own and we have yet to see how good it will be in a new metagame. Azumarill's new typing is a great boon, but I question the viability of Belly Drum, which has never really been the best of strategies until this point and again, we have yet to see how much of a beast it could be.

Charizard, Mawile, Galvantula, Scolipede, Pinsir. Also, can I just say that I have barely seen any Scizors in the Gen 6 Alpha metagame - Aegislash seems to have taken his place instead

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
As much as I love BellyJet Azumarill, even that can't compete with Scolipede. It gained +10 base attack, its Poison-typing was buffed, and it gained the biggest prize of all, Speed Boost. It already had SD and Baton Pass, so everything better watch out - there's a much scarier megapede in town.

Honorable mention to Brobat, who's looking to reclaim his OU title this gen.

Galvantula is definitely up there thanks to an amazing new move with rubbish distribution except for it. Scolipede is even better, sporting one of the best abilities in the game and a base stat boost.

Pinsir should have gained a regular evo, but his Mega may finally make him usable too.

Togekiss, because just being able to stop Garchomp and Salamence cold is a massive buff. I definitely see him returning to OU.
Crobat got everything this gen, between Infiltrator buff, Toxic buff and Defog utility. Its typing is great against the fae menace and it can even serve as a Grass-counter with Safety Goggles.

As for Megas, M-Mawile is just beastly. Being able to hit like an oncoming bullet train and having great defensive potential, it jumps up out of the abyss of NU in seconds.

Yeah, Scolipede was already a solid poke, but now it's the best BPer in the game (barring Blaziken, but yeah, good luck staying OU bud). To the point where it can potentially change the entire meta by adding a reliable speed boost strategy.

Not only Speed Boost, not only the attack buff, not only Poison's buff, but Defog making Stealth Rock infinitely easier to counter. And even if you DON'T want to Baton Pass, you've got a killer avenger and a fast hazard setter.

Last edited:
Galvantula is definitely up there thanks to an amazing new move with rubbish distribution except for it. Scolipede is even better, sporting one of the best abilities in the game and a base stat boost.

Pinsir should have gained a regular evo, but his Mega may finally make him usable too.
I'm arachnophobic thanks for the jumpscare however from the OU i'd say Gengar and Scizor from UU Togekiss

What about Ariados, it gets both Toxic spikes AND sticky web? Maybe not the best pokemon, but it is the only one to get both. Overall though, Mawil went from being a pokemon no one used, to a powerful physical behemoth of Fairy death.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Most definitely Scolipede and Mawile imo. Scolipede was already a pretty solid Pokemon in the lower tiers, but x/y Scolipede seems terrifying to fact to say the least. Speed Boost is an amazing ability, and Scolipede utilizes it pretty well to outpace scarfmons if trying to sweep or attempting to pass some Speed boosts along with maybe a Swords Dance like fellow Speed Boost users Blaziken and Ninjask, and its almost definitely better than the latter as a whole. Not to mention, Scolipede now has base 100 Attack instead of base 90, so its Megahorns and such now pack a bit more oomph.

Mawile was regarded as a pretty mediocre Pokemon until x/y, and x/y gave it some pretty massive buffs. It gained a whole new interesting type in fairy, that happens to pair well with Steel too, along with a mega form with buffed defenses and the ability huge power, which ensures it can pose a threat to most teams. Mawile can even Intimidate before it mega evolves the first time iirc, which is of course great since it makes her much easier to switch in.

By a considerable margin, I consider the most improved Pokémon to be:

1. Scolipede. The Baton Pass + Speed Boost ability in an of itself is a drastic improvement to a Pokémon that had worthwhile potential before receiving that buff. I'm keenly interested to see how that plays out in the OU metagame.

2. Azumarill. Obvious choice. Water/Fairy is arguably the best defensive type combination we've seen in recent times. Then there's the obvious Belly Drum + Aqua Jet combination. I seriously believe this thing is going to be a problem now.

3. Mawile. It's Mega Evolution, coupled with the Steel / Fairy typing, makes it beyond formidable. I hear WiFi battles are littered with this and Mega Blaziken. Speaking of Blaziken ...

4. Blaziken. GF's love for Blaziken is quite apparent at this stage. Does this really need an explanation?

5. Togekiss. An already excellent Pokémon bolstered by its new typing. Salamence's only real answer to it is Stone Miss.

Those are my top 5.

Scolipede and Mawile have just had the opportunity to move up to UpperTiers (Mawile can now probably be UU without its mega) thats a big just NU ---> UU/OU. Mawile being Fairy,good set possibilities, & mega and Scolipede a fast spiker, SE against Fairies, and excellent baton passer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)