Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wobbuffet easily provides the free turn for the Belly Drum sweep, even comes with safeguard support. Going to be fun, will try this out as soon as 6th gen hits servers.

Wobbuffet easily provides the free turn for the Belly Drum sweep, even comes with safeguard support. Going to be fun, will try this out as soon as 6th gen hits servers.
Hadn't thought of this. Azufett seems like a good combo (though I guess that applies for ALL BD users... Wobboone anyone?)

Pangoro may make a great partner too, with Parting Shot. Of course, for a Belly Drum sweep, it may be worth going all the way with someone like Uxie to drop dual screens and then a full Memento.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 181-214 (45.93 - 54.31%) -- 5.86% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 181-214 (45.93 - 54.31%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Rough Play vs Slowbro. Do not underestimate.

The chance goes down a lot, though, if you factor Lefties into your calcs. You lose the chance without SR and with it, you get a smaller chance.

Then again, we're assuming Slowbro is running 252/252+, which is as of right now rare, and the Slowbro can't do much back.

I was bored and messing with calcs and it turns out SmashBrosBrawl is a bit off, as he didn't factor in the Fairy-type stab on many of his Play Rough Calcs.

Yeah... Azumarril outright KOs some of those Pokemon considering this:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 441-519 (109.15 - 128.46%)
+5 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 523-616 (133.07 - 156.74%)
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 481-567 (122.08 - 143.9%)

The best counter for Belly-Azumarill is probably Physically defensive Ferrothorn, and even then it can potentially do a ton with Life Orb:

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 276-325 (78.4 - 92.32%)

Not to mention Superpower from CB pretty much KOs if you think its the other set:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 284-336 (80.68 - 95.45%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

For funzies

+6 252+ Atk Splash Plate Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 456-537 (109.61 - 129.08%)
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 453-534 (90.05 - 106.16%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock derp super effective

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tentacruel will start carrying Sludge Bomb and will be a decent answer to Azumarill, resisting its entire moveset and 2HKOing it back. Not to mention that it counters both CB and BD Azumarill, as BD Azumarill can't outspeed min Speed Tentacruel even with a Jolly nature and fails to OHKO with +6 Aqua Jet.

Both Choice Band and Belly Drum sets would definitely want to use at least enough Speed to outrun min Speed Jellicent, to 2HKO her with CB and OHKO her after Belly Drum.

Tentacruel isn't a guaranteed Azumarill counter, because Azumarill still has Double-Edge.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 248-292 (68.31 - 80.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Really, the choice of Return/Double-Edge/Ice Punch/Superpower is really a choice of what you want to be unable to deal damage to, which will come down to the rest of your team composition.

Lately I've been using a Yawn/Infestation Swalot to trap switch, which usually guarantees a setup turn for Azumarill's belly drum. If you want to really go all in you can also allow Swalot to set up rain dance before the switch, but this makes swalot a dead weight on its own outside of setting up for Azumarill (as it has to forgo Toxic in order to fit rain dance into its set)

Gastrodon can probably do the same and benefit from the rain itself, but it's less bulky on the defense side than Swalot.

Tentacruel isn't a guaranteed Azumarill counter, because Azumarill still has Double-Edge.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 248-292 (68.31 - 80.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Really, the choice of Return/Double-Edge/Ice Punch/Superpower is really a choice of what you want to be unable to deal damage to, which will come down to the rest of your team composition.
Wouldn't Bulldoze work better? No recoil and it either lowers speed or forces Tenta to use Clear Body to stay ahead.

I have no idea if it'd work, but it does the same damage without those drawbacks.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Lately I've been using a Yawn/Infestation Swalot to trap switch, which usually guarantees a setup turn for Azumarill's belly drum.
It's like all of the stars aligned for Azumarill this generation. Seriously. It has to be one of the most-buffed Pokemon entering Gen VI!

Gains a great new defensive typing and secondary STAB
BellyJet Azumarill is now legal
Partial trapping moves buffed and Infestation has 100% accuracy, allowing Azumarill that vital guaranteed setup turn.

Azumarill is going to be a huge threat this gen, no doubt. While his BellyJet set is the main reason, I still like his CB set. It gives power right off the bat and lets Azumarill put his great typing and bulk to good use by switching into resisted attacks and firing back.

Lately I've been using a Yawn/Infestation Swalot to trap switch, which usually guarantees a setup turn for Azumarill's belly drum. If you want to really go all in you can also allow Swalot to set up rain dance before the switch, but this makes swalot a dead weight on its own outside of setting up for Azumarill (as it has to forgo Toxic in order to fit rain dance into its set)

Gastrodon can probably do the same and benefit from the rain itself, but it's less bulky on the defense side than Swalot.
Infestation Goodra seems like a great partner for this strategy too. Hydration Goodra can set up and benefit from the Rain, while Azumarill can easily switch into the Dragon and Ice type attacks that threaten Goodra and proceed to Belly Drum.

I've been testing out the Bellyjet set in single battles (90% of the time against Japanese players), and I'm not really convinced it's better than choice band. I've been using Wobbufett with encore, which usually gives me a free turn to switch and set up with belly drum. About half the time it works brilliantly and I get to sweep their entire team, but so many common pokemon put an easy stop to it, leaving me with two useless pokemon. (mega) Venusaur and Rotom-W are really really common and shut it down hard. Aegislash, Scizor, and the Fire Bird thing have priority moves that OHKO Azumarill after a bellydrum. U-Turn comes standard on Talonflame and Greninja, probably the two most common Pokemon I've seen making it difficult to set up a belly drum.

I'm thinking pairing up Azumarill with something like Ferrothorn would work great because he can take out most of the counters. I'm also tempted to swap out Superpower for waterfall. Superpower just isn't useful against enough pokemon to justify using, at least if you can't get a Bellydrum off Waterfall will do some decent STAB damage.

You might also want to run some speed on Azumarill to avoid Aegislash and Scizor. (128 Spe outspeeds min-speed Scizor and Aegislash. I don't know how much speed Japanese players usually run though)

You might also want to run some speed on Azumarill to avoid Aegislash and Scizor. (128 Spe outspeeds min-speed Scizor and Aegislash. I don't know how much speed Japanese players usually run though)
I actually just won a game against an Aegislash thanks to having just enough speed EVs to outrun it. The intention was to out speed Jellicent, but I haven't seen ANY Jellicents for some reason. Out speeding Scizor is tempting, but I'm not sure the HP trade off is worth it. I've definitely been able to shrug off a few attacks that would have OHKO otherwise.

I've been testing out the Bellyjet set in single battles (90% of the time against Japanese players), and I'm not really convinced it's better than choice band. I've been using Wobbufett with encore, which usually gives me a free turn to switch and set up with belly drum. About half the time it works brilliantly and I get to sweep their entire team, but so many common pokemon put an easy stop to it, leaving me with two useless pokemon. (mega) Venusaur and Rotom-W are really really common and shut it down hard. Aegislash, Scizor, and the Fire Bird thing have priority moves that OHKO Azumarill after a bellydrum. U-Turn comes standard on Talonflame and Greninja, probably the two most common Pokemon I've seen making it difficult to set up a belly drum.

I'm thinking pairing up Azumarill with something like Ferrothorn would work great because he can take out most of the counters. I'm also tempted to swap out Superpower for waterfall. Superpower just isn't useful against enough pokemon to justify using, at least if you can't get a Bellydrum off Waterfall will do some decent STAB damage.

I know this might seem like a terrible idea but how would sitrus berry work? Whould it put you back at 75% so you could survive a bullet punch and hit with aqua jet?

Also as far as I can see, those threats aren't handled by Ferrothorn very well (Superpower on scizor plus ferrothorn can't hurt him much, Aegislash has sacred sword and steel typing, I don't know what the fire bird thing is but it's fire). Ferrothorn helps against venasaur somewhat if it has gyro ball and can answer rotom-w but all in all, wouldn't volcarona do a better job? he has fire blast and hurricane and can switch in on aegislash and scizor easily. Not to mention with hurrican he eats venasaur alive.

What do you think? am I totally off? I'm spending a lot of time breeding the perfect marill so I'd like to know who his partner(s) should be for wifi

Just done breeding for the first time and have finally got a Adamant, Huge Power Marill with 31 IVs in Attack, Defense and Speed (i wish i had HP over the speed) and it has Belly Drum and Aqua Jet. I am really quite happy! I have loads of others if anyone is interested?

I know this might seem like a terrible idea but how would sitrus berry work? Whould it put you back at 75% so you could survive a bullet punch and hit with aqua jet?

Also as far as I can see, those threats aren't handled by Ferrothorn very well (Superpower on scizor plus ferrothorn can't hurt him much, Aegislash has sacred sword and steel typing, I don't know what the fire bird thing is but it's fire). Ferrothorn helps against venasaur somewhat if it has gyro ball and can answer rotom-w but all in all, wouldn't volcarona do a better job? he has fire blast and hurricane and can switch in on aegislash and scizor easily. Not to mention with hurrican he eats venasaur alive.

What do you think? am I totally off? I'm spending a lot of time breeding the perfect marill so I'd like to know who his partner(s) should be for wifi
You might be right. Right now I've been using (mega)Blaziken, who deals with the bulky grass pokemon well enough. Haha I meant Talonflame was the fire bird, Azumarill can usually OHKO it with an Aqua jet, but since Talonflame has priority his bravebird will take off a bit over half of Azu's HP. (And also hard counters Blaziken, interestingly enough. Will leave that discussion to the Blaziken thread though.). Rotom-W is also the bane of my existence, and can destroy my entire team with its Volt Switch shenanigans. Volcarona isn't a bad idea, but I don't see it doing much more than my Blaziken already does. Could be worth a try though, Stealth Rock is almost non-existent so you wouldn't have any trouble switching in. He'd also deal nicely with all those dang Aegislashes that like to play mind games with King's shield. In any case, I just lucked out with my 8th Ferrothorn egg: 31/31/31/x/31/0 IVs (Thank you Based Masuda), so I'm gonna go ahead and try it out on Wi-Fi once I get it EV trained.

On a side note, I would guess the 5 most common pokemon on Wi-Fi right now are:
Greninja
Talonflame
Aegislash
Rotom-W (No idea why Japanese players love this guy so much)
Gengar

Since Azumarill has trouble with all of these, definitely bring along some counters to deal with them.

what trouble can gengar bring to azu? I don't see it surviving +6 aqua jet
It stands no chance whatsoever

+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 459-540 (175.19 - 206.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now when teambuilding, people are going to need to consider what Mega they're putting on their team. Which Mega works best with Azumarill?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the concept of "cores" correctly, but I tried to make one today based off Grass/Water/Fire. Azumarill was the first one I decided on, then I added Talonflame and Mega Venusaur to back him up. The three of them actually have doing a pretty good job switching in and out for each other (with Talonflame's U-turn being the perfect set-up for Azumarill to get in). Venusaur works great because he can tank the Electric and Poison attacks that keep getting thrown at him.

Which other Megas do you think will do well with him? I've heard that Aggron works well with Sylveon, and I think he'd work with Azumarill, but I guess he needs more Wish support from Sylveon than anything Azumarill has. The Scizor on my team gets a lot of opportunities to U-turn out to Azumarill with little penalty, so I guess Mega Scizor would work even better. Has anyone else had any experience with Megas and Azumarill working together?

You might be right. Right now I've been using (mega)Blaziken, who deals with the bulky grass pokemon well enough. Haha I meant Talonflame was the fire bird, Azumarill can usually OHKO it with an Aqua jet, but since Talonflame has priority his bravebird will take off a bit over half of Azu's HP. (And also hard counters Blaziken, interestingly enough. Will leave that discussion to the Blaziken thread though.). Rotom-W is also the bane of my existence, and can destroy my entire team with its Volt Switch shenanigans. Volcarona isn't a bad idea, but I don't see it doing much more than my Blaziken already does. Could be worth a try though, Stealth Rock is almost non-existent so you wouldn't have any trouble switching in. He'd also deal nicely with all those dang Aegislashes that like to play mind games with King's shield. In any case, I just lucked out with my 8th Ferrothorn egg: 31/31/31/x/31/0 IVs (Thank you Based Masuda), so I'm gonna go ahead and try it out on Wi-Fi once I get it EV trained.

On a side note, I would guess the 5 most common pokemon on Wi-Fi right now are:
Greninja
Talonflame
Aegislash
Rotom-W (No idea why Japanese players love this guy so much)
Gengar

Since Azumarill has trouble with all of these, definitely bring along some counters to deal with them.
With a sitrus berry, azumarill survives everything these guys throw out except a +2 aegislash who is readily handled by volcs. Rotom does cause problems tho. +6 waterfall does 0ne shot max defense aegislash btw

I think the question is, aside from volcarona and ferrothorn (who i dont think is very good in the wifi singles format), who makes a good second/third for the little guy?

I like garchomp but thats as far as i got

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)