Pokémon Aurorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tested if Aurorus has gotten Power Gem through breeding? I mean, it's a special attacking Rock type with gems all over its body... I think it should get it...

Aurorus not getting Power Gem was the game-breaker, for me. I don't care how crap it is, if it had Power Gem, I'd find a place for it SOMEWHERE. But it not getting it is such a massive disappointment that I think I'd rather skip X/Y and just wait for Pokemon Z and hope for a move tutor. You gotta EARN a purchase from this Ice-lover, GF! I happily skipped BW/BW2, and X/Y ain't doin' nuthin' for me yet... not with Aurorus being so terribly gimped...

Aurorus not getting Power Gem was the game-breaker, for me. I don't care how crap it is, if it had Power Gem, I'd find a place for it SOMEWHERE. But it not getting it is such a massive disappointment that I think I'd rather skip X/Y and just wait for Pokemon Z and hope for a move tutor. You gotta EARN a purchase from this Ice-lover, GF! I happily skipped BW/BW2, and X/Y ain't doin' nuthin' for me yet... not with Aurorus being so terribly gimped...
Really hahahaha. Bergmite is in the game you know? And one move for an entire game that is easily 40+ hours, really?

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Do we know if Freeze Dry's chance of freezing is really 10%? Serebii put that number as a placeholder on his site but I'm not aware of any conclusive test that confirms that percentage.

Really hahahaha. Bergmite is in the game you know? And one move for an entire game that is easily 40+ hours, really?
Yeah man, I'm totally super petty, I know.
But at the end of the day, without the mons, Pokemon is just another RPG, with consistently non-existent storylines. If you couldn't play against other players, it would be a lackluster affair - and having my favorite type be just short of completely useless when I play against other players got old a long time ago. In fact, it got old with DPP. Then Gen5 brought Vanilluxe, Beartic, Cryogonal, and Kyurem.... so... yeah... insult to injury there, so I skipped that like the plague. My hopes for Gen6 rested with buffs (that never came) or awesome new ice-type mons - and only Aurorus had potential, cause Avalugg=defensive ice type=useless. But without Power Gem, and terrible stats, what is there left?! *emocry*

While Aurorus' typing is quite unique & its movepool is ok, I don't think it's that good. The base stats scream "Tank", but Aurorus' offensive typing hinders that role with 6 weaknesses, most notably x4 Steel & Fighting which are extremely common in OU. Also, the fact that all entry hazards can hurt Aurorus doesn't help either. Unless it has decent egg moves, I can see this thing being RU at best. As for its HA (Snow Warning!!!), it may help Aurorus rise in usage a bit... I dunno. We'll see.

But I admit... Freeze-Dry is pretty awesome o_0
http://serebii.net/attackdex-xy/freeze-dry.shtml

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Yeah man, I'm totally super petty, I know.
But at the end of the day, without the mons, Pokemon is just another RPG, with consistently non-existent storylines. If you couldn't play against other players, it would be a lackluster affair - and having my favorite type be just short of completely useless when I play against other players got old a long time ago. In fact, it got old with DPP. Then Gen5 brought Vanilluxe, Beartic, Cryogonal, and Kyurem.... so... yeah... insult to injury there, so I skipped that like the plague. My hopes for Gen6 rested with buffs (that never came) or awesome new ice-type mons - and only Aurorus had potential, cause Avalugg=defensive ice type=useless. But without Power Gem, and terrible stats, what is there left?! *emocry*
Are you seriously comparing Kyurem to the likes of Beartic? And DPP was the best generation for ice types since we got 3 viable ones in Abomasnow, Weavile and Mamoswine. What the hell are you talking about?

Are you seriously comparing Kyurem to the likes of Beartic? And DPP was the best generation for ice types since we got 3 viable ones in Abomasnow, Weavile and Mamoswine. What the hell are you talking about?
Umm... DPP brought in Stealth Rock, it was definitely NOT the best gen for Ice types. That was Gen1. DPP was the best gen for Hail, but that is not saying much...

And a Pokemon with Uber-level stats, WITHOUT a completely crippling ability (in fact, with a useful enough ability), finding itself in UU? Yeah, man, I'm comparing it to Beartic.

Last edited:
At first i saw in Aurorus a potential OU ice type poke, despite it's typing and with the help of Snow Warning maybe and a really good movepool. The dream about SW came true, but there came the stat changes... from 120 sp attack, they dropped it to just 99... oh man :( Also, those 80 points were wasted in it's Attack stat. It should have been like 50 or something, and instead put them in Sp attacks and speed ;)) like 99 + 15 = 114 and 60 + 15 = 75 speed. Still better than 99 sp attack and 60 speed.

Also, Freeze Dry disappointed me. They should have made it better, like the equivalent of Scald, and keep its effectiveness against Water types. I mean, just look at how horribly underrated Ice type are because of their weaknesses, and now fairies took their unique niche against dragons. Also, there's another issue. Would it hurt if Hail gave the same 50% Defense or Sp. Defense boost that Sandstorm gives for Ground-type 'mons, at least?

All weather effects to something actually useful, except for Hail!

I also hope Aurorus gets Power Gem by Move tutor and maybe some other beneficial moves. And if only he got Recover through breeding... the graphicians could have got more congratulations due to creating a beautiful design, but now judging from what people say, nobody's gonna remember aurorus exists outside RU :(

Last edited:
Outside of some niches in being a second Hail setter, i don't see much other use of her :(

The other utilities that she has are slow CM user (but she's prone to all the status moves, so she can't be good at it).
Special Tank, maybe with Roar/Dragon Tail (that seems the better role for her)
and Dual Screens setter

plus, if your team needs Hail, you can use one of this niches + SW, if you don't need it, you can use Refrigerate even if i don't see any real use outside, maybe, Nature Power if the Normal of Tri-attacks counts

Umm... DPP brought in Stealth Rock, it was definitely NOT the best gen for Ice types. That was Gen1. DPP was the best gen for Hail, but that is not saying much...

And a Pokemon with Uber-level stats, WITHOUT a completely crippling ability (in fact, with a useful enough ability), finding itself in UU? Yeah, man, I'm comparing it to Beartic.
Lmfao this man is making me cry here

Aurorus and Amaura are one of my favorite Pokemon lines in Gen 6, next to the Skrelp line and the Goomy line. Unfortunately it has a very bad type mixture, but I hope it can be useful in some ways, if only to give away its signature move to help other neglected Ice Pokemon.

Sad that GF didn't want to give Ice types a buff this generation. No Hail Defense buff or even some type chart changes? Psh.

Hyper Beam Refrigerate Aurorus sounds exciting, but it would also be hindering because of recharge. My thinking is maybe it'll do well in doubles if paired with a Follow Me poke?

Hyper Beam Refrigerate Aurorus sounds exciting, but it would also be hindering because of recharge. My thinking is maybe it'll do well in doubles if paired with a Follow Me poke?
Then your opponent sets up on that turn. Ouch.
Even if this tactic were to somehow gain popularity, eventually it'd just become very predictable. Even if you out-predict your opponent and have the Follow Me user do something else, you still have Aurorus as a sitting duck.

Refrigerate's 1.3x boost to Normal type moves makes Hyper Beam tempting. Nature Power Tri Attack is also a better option than Blizzard. Interesting.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Interesting. A Refrigerate-boosted Hyper Beam has 195 BP without factoring STAB, while Refrigerate-boosted Tri-Attack (which Aurorus can use via Nature Power) has 104 BP.
Now, if only it could learn Boomburst...

Interesting. A Refrigerate-boosted Hyper Beam has 195 BP without factoring STAB, while Refrigerate-boosted Tri-Attack (which Aurorus can use via Nature Power) has 104 BP.
Now, if only it could learn Boomburst...
Well... Hyper Beam will have about 40 more base power than unSTABed Explosion with a typing that can actually hit things super effectively with nothing immune to it and it doesn't kill you.
It seems comparable to V-Create Victini as well. Similar attack stats and base power

damn... with STAB and the 1.3 boost it has 292 BP. Not bad, not bad... it could really be an option now...

a choice specs set with it could be pretty strong...

it takes 35.43 - 41.73% off from a Blissey (calm 252 hp/252 spdef)
does 63.61 - 75.27% to a calm 252/252 hp/spdef Florges
80.11 - 94.6% calm max hp/spdef Ferrothorn (if it runs any no +spdef nature there is always a chance to 1HKO)

Could the no turn after the move be worth it? Even you don't run specs, if you force something out you can still use Ice Beam first and then Hyper Beam. Almost everyone needs to watch out for this thing, if it is ever able to make a move (sadly its slow, but its HP and defenses are good enough to take not x4 times SE hits; the weakness to SR hurts it as well though).

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
If Aurorus is running Choice Specs+Refrigerate then it should have a spare moveslot for Hyper Beam. The other attacks should be Tri-Atack, Thunderbolt and either Ancientpower or HP Fire/Ground.
It's not a move it should be spamming but it could be useful in a pinch.

I don't see why anyone would consider Thunderbolt when it has Freeze-Dry. It's only stronger against stuff like Skarmory, because it's neutral and Thunderbolt would be SE, but it doesn't even matter, since it likely wouldn't OHKO and other attacks should be strong enough to hurt it.

Electric is only SE on Water and Flying and Freeze Dry is also SE on these. Freeze Dry gives more 4x SE too, with Kingdra and other stuff. While Water/Flying is still hit 4x.

It does definitely need something for Steels though... but I don't think Thunderbolt would be good enough for them anyway.
It can learn Bulldoze and Earthquake, maybe it can get Earth Power by breeding? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)