Move Future Sight & Doom Desire

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a world where special moves are nerfed and nerfed and nerfed, an exception rises above its brethren: Future Sight now has a whopping BP of 120, with an accuracy of 100. The problem? Its gimmicky "act later" method of damage-dealing.

I've actually had a bit of fun with Future Sight in Gen V, using it on Xatu in UU, U-turning to a Fighting-weak pokemon like Snorlax and having the switch-in of Machamp or Hera or Shao get mauled from beyond. Is it a gimmick? Definitely. But on top of being a powerful attack nowadays, it can both act as a shield for switch-ins weak to Psychic-weak pokes, notable due to the Poison buff, AND to lure in Dark-types hoping to sponge the attack. Trying to bring in the foe's Tyranitar? Use Future Sight. Wanna use a set-upper that's stopped cold by Crobat? Use Future Sight.

Now that it can play off such mind games AND actually deal some damage, do we finally see a future for Future Sight?

That is interesting, but it isn't useful on a sweeper so to say, it's more for a Specs user or a wall to use, as it mauls the user's most likely partners.

This actually proved to be a viable tactic with Doom Desire Jirachi. People underestimate the threat of two attacks in one turn from opposite stats. It destroys walls and Protect can not prevent both attacks and cqn help break subs too. It was never not viable before, but that is a massive BP increase. Does Gardevoir get it? Switch into a drqgon move, Future Sight, then switch out again to something else. On bulky offense teams its a legit wallbreaker tactic. Specs users would be even better. Specs Doom Desire/Future Sight/Draco Meteor/??? Jirachi. :D

Future Sight is an attack. Taunt does not work. And Doom Desire already got buffed last gen, why would it need another?

Does Future Sight activates Moxie if used by another poke?
I believe not, but if it does this could be interesting to get an easier boost.

Future Sight is an attack. Taunt does not work. And Doom Desire already got buffed last gen, why would it need another?
Not sure, but who knows what Gamefreak is thinking.

would Future Sight be good on Delphox? Sure she would have to lose Calm mind, but is it viable? I am debating between Calm Mind or Future Sight along with Grass Knot, Psy Shock, and either Fire Blast/FLame Thrower/Mystical Fire. If I use calm mind I would probably use mystical fire due to the lowered SpA making her even more defensivly buff. But I like the idea of getting 2 attacks off in 1 turn

Does Future Sight activates Moxie if used by another poke?
I believe not, but if it does this could be interesting to get an easier boost.
Well do you still get the boost if they die to say weather or poison? I want to say no.

It can't? Protect blocks all attacks in doubles. Does it not work against Future Sight?

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, but if you're right then it's even better.
Future attack happens at the end of a turn, same time weather happens, so I don't think Protect Protects against it.

I remember last generation Future Sight setting a niche use on Sun teams, as if Jirachi set it up, they could send in their Ninetails all they want as Tyranitar couldn't safely switch into Doom desire, or something along those lines.

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
One use for future sight that I have seen has been Life Orb Alakazam. Being able to force something out and then be doubly aggressive against whatever comes in to take the hit is a neat way to keep momentum. It's also worth mentioning that it goes through protect.

Does FS work like so?
X uses future sight
turn ends
'fight continues'
turn 2 ends
'fight continues'
FS damage is dealt at the end of turn

If so, It can be a pretty decent way of not wasting psychic attack versus pink blobs or dark pokémon. Opponent switches in expecting Psychic, Future sight is used instead. Switch to a fighting-type next turn, either they risk a close combat to the face or switching out and having something less specially bulky switch in to take the FS. A bit limited scenario I admit, but it's fun to think about the possibilities with this move.

What happens if the user faints before the move completes?

Does FS work like so?
X uses future sight
turn ends
'fight continues'
turn 2 ends
'fight continues'
FS damage is dealt at the end of turn

If so, It can be a pretty decent way of not wasting psychic attack versus pink blobs or dark pokémon. Opponent switches in expecting Psychic, Future sight is used instead. Switch to a fighting-type next turn, either they risk a close combat to the face or switching out and having something less specially bulky switch in to take the FS. A bit limited scenario I admit, but it's fun to think about the possibilities with this move.

What happens if the user faints before the move completes?
I beleive the attack still goes off. I haven't used the move in a while, but if I remember correctly, even if the user is fainted or isn't on the feild, the attack still happens

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I remember from my countless hours in Pokemon Stadium 2 that future sight goes at the very end of the turn, after protect wears off.

God knows what changes it could've had mechanically by now, but I'm pretty sure this still holds true.

In response to the posts mentioning it, one could argue Doom Desire already did get a buff: It's now Super Effective on one more typing, at the very least. Once December rolls around, we'll see if that's enough to justify its use, or if it (or Jirachi) got anything else new in the generation transition.

In response to the posts mentioning it, one could argue Doom Desire already did get a buff: It's now Super Effective on one more typing, at the very least. Once December rolls around, we'll see if that's enough to justify its use, or if it (or Jirachi) got anything else new in the generation transition.
I thought these moves ignored Weaknesses and resistances.

They did until generation V. They do the proper type of damage now.
Ah ok. Makes sense, though you lose that all around damage it used to do I suppose.

I am still curious if this is viable on Delphox... It's a possible option Psyshock or Calm Mind I suppose.

I think this might be tricky to pull off in OU given that there's so many 'Mons that threaten its users and also can keep offensive pressure when/if(M-Gengar, Aegislash, even T-flame can hit special attackers pretty damn hard) you switch out. Also, I know for a fact that it hits through protect
One use for future sight that I have seen has been Life Orb Alakazam. Being able to force something out and then be doubly aggressive against whatever comes in to take the hit is a neat way to keep momentum. It's also worth mentioning that it goes through protect.
This is an interesting play though. I'd like to see it work because it sounds really awesome in theory

So has anyone actually used Doom Desire and Future Sight? I've been using both, and they're a lot of fun. For Modest Specs Jirachi (purely hit and run of course, you swap out to something else after using Doom Desire) here are some calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 212-250 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 179-211 (60 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 172-203 (57.7 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 172-203 (47.5 - 56%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 110-129 (33.9 - 39.8%) -- 30.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 138-162 (39.2 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 210-247 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 201-237 (28.5 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 222-262 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 325-384 (106.9 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 267-315 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 328-387 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 342-403 (125.7 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D: 160-190 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jirachi Doom Desire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 250-295 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

In the vast majority of cases here, you're doing at least 50% damage - having to take off the last 50% with something else is usually trivial. Obviously there's no way of telling what you're going to hit, but I think these calcs show you're always going to hit hard. If they switch in something that resists Doom Desire, it only makes prediction of switches all the more easy. If you find specs a bit limiting, then try a Metal Coat instead.

As others have said it also can't be protected against, if you've broken a sash or a sub it can easily finish off the opposition, it's very anti-meta and takes people off-guard (see, rather hilariously, here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-109267108), it's untauntable and it can be used tactically (i.e. you can think about what you are potentially going to hit instead of how much damage what's currently in would take). It's also very fun to use, and Jirachi has great coverage. Use HP Ground, and you can nail checks (Heatran for example).

Last edited:
Why has this been necro'd? Why it's there even a thread for this?

Last I checked there's no threads for Hyper Beam or Tackle which are about as viable as Future Sight...
I believe the change in mechanic, and the necro-poster's findings in support of the move's use warrants this post.

It's a niche option that can situationally put a dent in some metagame threats, even if the most reliable user has had it
hard this generation.

Call me overoptimistic, but I think that with hazard stacking and volt turn support, the Delayed Damage moves could contribute to a bulky team with moderate, or targeted offensive presence.

So having tested some future sight myself I can say it is VERY effective when used as part of a core of attackers. Take for instance my personal choices Mega-Gardevoir and Keldeo. These two form an almost perfect duo, due to how many of keldeo's checks get demolished by future sight, think Megasaur, Amoongus Azumarill, Rotom-wash etc. also add to that pokemon such as the lati twins who are checked pretty hard by Gardevoir herself. even if they can beat keldeo. The beauty of the combo is the fact that the things that can take future sight on it's own lose to keldeo, think heatran, blobs, ferro etc. The only thing i've found that does well against both is Aegislash, but Keldeo can quickly wear it down with water stab, and it can't get caught in blade form or it takes 62 - 73.1% damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)