Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm considering a defensive core of Sylveon/Mega Scizor/Jellicent

Sylveon for special bulk, Mega Scizor for physical, and Jellicent for mixed.

Their resistances and types and movesets compliment each other nicely. Sylveon can wall special attackers w/ Calm Mind and then get em w/ Moonblast, Mega Scizor can set up w/ Swords Dance then blow people away w/ Bullet Punch and other moves AND heal w/ roost (tho the lack of bug bite is hurting), and Jellicent can come in resistant to both of their weaknesses can recover, burn, use scald, and taunt.

Ok. I've been playing around on Showdown. Here's some cores I've been experimenting with.

First, a new defensive rain core.

While Politoed's rain isn't eternal like it used to be, Physically Defensive Damp Rock Politoed still causes eight turns of rain on the switch and can use moves like Scald, Toxic, Hypnosis and Perish Song to support the team further.

Priority Rain Dance on Specially Defensive Klefki will serve as a viable second rain setter. Klefi's great defensive typing covers a lot of threats, and its Fire weakness is neutralized by the rain. Furthermore, it is free to use its other priority support moves like Spikes, Thunder Wave, etc.

Physically Defensive Zapdos covers the grass weakness of Politoed (and assuming Lightningrod ever gets release, will be able to use that as well to cover its electric weakness.) Zapdos also covers Kleki's ground weakness. Zapdos is also notable in this core because it has access to near perfect coverage with 100% rain accurate Thunder and Hidden Power Ice, and has the now buffed Defog for hazards as well as Roost for healing.

These three together will ensure the majority of the game will have rain present, and with Swift Swim now allowed with Drizzle, feel free to take advantage of the good synergy these guys have with Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops and Omastar, along with all your other favorite rain mons including Azumarril, Greninja, Dragonite, Goodra, Noivern, Hurricane Volcorona, Heliolisk, Toxicroak, and Jynx.

--------------------------------

Offensive core.

Swords Dance Talonflame is so stupidly good. Taking advantage of priority, I invested in some some bulk, Flying Gem Acrobatics, Flare Blitz and priority Roost. It's just madness.

Sash Dugtrio murders Tyranitar and Heatran for Talonflame, and many grounded steel types that wall Scizor. Stone Edge can OHKO any opposing Talonflame.

Bulky Defog Scizor provides both of them with Bulk+Defog+Roost support keeping the rocks away, and can keep offensive momentum by using Bullet Punch and U-Turning away from any incoming Fire or Steel type to feed the kill to Dugtrio.

Rotom W and dedicated physical walls beat all three of these guys still, but I'm not making your whole team for you. Dammit. ;)

I've been testing my Adamant Mega Charizard X with Dragon Claw / Dragon Dance / Flare Blitz / Earthquake and my Azumaril (also adamant) with Belly Drum / Aqua Jet / Superpower / Play Rought.

So far those 2 combined seemed to be doing pretty good, but I feel like my oponents were plain bad so I am asking here: Are Charizard X and Azumarill a good combination? And what would be a good third pokemon for this core?

Thanks alot in advance!

I've been running a Mega Mawile, Gyarados, Roserade that seems to run well. Mawile and Gyarados both set up intimidates and to sponge the special side of things we have Roserade. They tend to cover each other's weaknesses pretty well.

Haven't tested anything at all yet and I'm extremely new to team building (in terms of synergy, team flow etc.) but let me know if this sounds decent for a newbie to work off.
Loving Greninja a lot recently so I wanted to work around that and I think I have a decent-ish offensive core consisting of Greninja and Aegislash and maybe something else (feels a little empty) for some extra coverage (again this is just a 2-man core I might work off of if it's alright). Something that can take some Electric moves and Ground resistance might be a nice trio (Lati@s?)
Anyway, Greninja's ability is so good than with a decent moveset he can screw around with a lot of Pokémon and just having coverage offensively can also convert to defensive coverage. Really love this ability. If you ever feel threatened of from some sort of Scarfed revenger who packs Close Combat, you can switch into Aegislash, take 0 damagez and if they are choiced set up a free SD. There's probably loads of Pokés who counter this and again, I'm relatively knew to this core thing, but one that has slipped into my mind in particular is Blaziken. No matter who I switch into, he has an answer for everything. Additionally, choice items on Blaze aren't really that great as they generally run Protect which ofc is for his SB. This also stops Greninja from getting off an move that might help him resist one of BLaze's moves (can't really think of any good moves he can that would do that but... you get the point). And once again, Lati@s shows up a something that could potentially check the Blaziken, resisting both his STABS and returning the favour with a STAB Psychic among other moves that will give the team some nice coverage and just sheer damage (Draco Meteor etc.)

So what do you guys think? Greninja/Aegislash/Latios as a newbie's offesnive core. Yes or no? I'm not really up to date with EVERY popular threat in the meta right now (I know a good amount of strong/popular Pokés but there might be one glaring these in the eyes that I haven't even spotted).
Suggestions? Any feedback is gladly appreciated, even if you're mean about it :p

Super quick edit: On Aegislash Vs Blaziken, it is possible to Kings Shield the Flare Blitz and drop his Attack, but I feel it's too predictable at times and they'll often take that opportunity to SD. That's when you get fucked (if they run it, if they run BB then yeah Aegislash not too bad vs him, just make sure you trigger the Kings Shield)

Last edited:
How about:

Goodra + Gyarados + Aegislash

My thinking is the majority of threats on Aegi and Gyara are special based (fire, ghost, dark, electric) which an assault vest Goodra can tank easily (even resisting fire/electric) and then dishing out significant damage to switch ins or trapping and killing. On top of this, the physical ground threat on Aegi is neutered by Gyara who boasts an immunity + intimidate, while Gyaras weakness in rock is laughed off by Aegi.

Additionally, most of the threats to Goodra provide reasonably safe switch ins for Gyara/Aegi (special dragons to Aegi, physical to Gyara [or Aegi if they don't run EQ]). Running Gyara with Ice Fang helps by threatening those physical dragons (Gharchomp) as well.

I'd appreciate the take of someone more experienced with competitive pokemons meta-game here! :)

hi i started look to the competitive side of this game in this gen and i want use barbaracle in my team (with shellSmash) but i have no idea wich 'mons should put in team with it. Can someone more experienced help me in the choice of the other 2 pokemons?

I'm running a MegaMawile/Goodra Assault Vest Core. Supported by VoltTurn Volcarona/Rotom-W Combo and a back up ParaFlinch Dragon Slayer Togekiss and Aegislash

Previously I had posted a core of Noivern+Greninja+Galvantula... and I made a little addition to it. :]

Mega-Mawile!

It's basically an oversized VoltTurn core.

Defensively: Each of their individual weaknesses are covered by at least 1 other member of the core.
Offensively: It combines speed, power, and coverage. Not to mention, Mega-Mawile is the ultimate pivot & wall-breaker.

Overall, it utilizes the benefits of VoltTurn and Wish Support (from a 5th pokemon) to take full advantage of Mawile’s fabulous typing, bulk, and power.
It also exercises speed control via the presence of an early Sticky Web, as well as Tailwinds being set throughout the match. Thoughts?
Does anybody have a suggestion for a Wish Passer? Any other advice would be appreciated, since I'd love to improve my team's core any way I can. :]

Here are the move-sets I'm using -- with a few slashes. I'm also doubting the necessity of VoltTurn, so opinions there would be nice too!

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Nature: Adamant -- EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Sp.Def / 8 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Timid -- EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Speed
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

Greninja @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes / U-Turn
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
I've been using the following offensive core in Ubers:

Arceus-Normal@Life Orb
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
~Swords Dance
~Extremespeed
~Shadow Claw
~Overheat

Groudon@Life Orb
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
252HP/252Atk/4Spe
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Fire Punch

Xerneas@Power Herb
Modest(+SpA, -Atk)
142HP/252SpA/116Spe
~Geomancy
~Moonblast
~Focus Blast
~Thunderbolt

The Geomancer and the Extremekiller complement each other nicely, with Xerneas easily taking out (or setting up on, should they not carry Dragon Tail) the Giratina Formes, one of the Extremekiller's main counters. In return, Overheat on Arceus lets it bait out Scizor, which can revenge kill Xerneas with Bullet Punch.
Groudon's STAB Earthquake + Stone Edge takes care of Steel types such as Aegislash, which otherwise wall my sweepers, as well as Ho-Oh, which walls Xerneas and can burn Arceus with Sacred Fire. It can also set up Swords Dance on predicted switches and punch holes in the opposing team. Fire Punch takes care of Ferrothorn, another Steel-type which gives my sweepers trouble (it walls the Extremekiller, and forces Xerneas to use the shaky Focus Blast).

Running Jolly on Arceus lets it beat other Arceus - even with a hindering nature, Overheat is enough to OHKO Pokemon which are 4x weak to it. The EV spread on Xerneas allows it to outspeed max Speed +2 Cloyster after a Geomancy, and otherwise maximizes bulk and Special Attack.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a Wish Passer? Any other advice would be appreciated, since I'd love to improve my team's core any way I can. :]
For Wish Passing for passing's sake as well as the HP that the poke can pass, I'd recommend Sylveon.

Sylveon@Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 S Def / 4 Sp Atk

Protect
Moon Blast
Toxic
Wish

Bold nature for more bulk on the defensive side, so its easier to come into EQs for M-Mawile. Pixilate will become more useful once Pokebank comes out, getting STAB off its previously Normal-type moves. Running Wish, Protect and Toxic ensures your opponent's not doing much unless you're running a Steel move, likely not a Poison. I've battled one of these in Pokebank OU and I quickly saw its value, its a Tank. Has decent synergy with M-Mawile too, M-Mawile is immune to poison and won't mind getting hit by steel moves with its amazing bulk. Sylveon still gets hit neutral by Ground and Fire, Fire probably being the better one for it to switch into as it's more likely to hit it on its bulky S Def.

A poke with Ground immunity/Levitate would be nice to stick around and negate EQ for M-Mawile. Possibly Noivern but I don't think it has the bulk to stick around for too long, coming into SR. Possibly a Levitate user as they don't all get so badly abused by SR. I'm thinking Rotom-Wash, it only has one weakness and its a less common attacking type, respectable bulk also it can fit in with the rest of your VoltTurn core.

Does Greninja even need a core? It's so diverse thanks to Protean you can throw it into anything. It also has the ability to get either Attack or SAttack as it only has 8 more in SA.

I've actually been testing both Sylveon and Clefable as the wish-passer, and I agree that they both work great! The team as a whole is having trouble with Ground-moves, so I'll give Rotom a try. :D

I'v found that Noivern and Hydreigon make a really good offensive combo, especially if Hydreigon has Sticky web support. I think hydreigon will be especially good this gen because now steel does not resist dark giving him a really good secondary STAB. Noivern on the other hand all ready has all the speed it needs so just throw on a life orb and begin to tear holes in the opposing team. It does help that hydreigon has access to flash cannon which will tear a big chunk out of fairies. Both of these dragons have great coverage moves so your opponent will not know if either Hydreigon or Noivern has flamethrower or focus blast, this will help ease prediction. I think the introduction of fairies has come as a blessing in disguise for Hydreigon even though it is 4x weak to it

I was thinking quite a bit about an offensive core of Hydreigon and Metagross? Although I keep trying to look for a third member, but can't seem to come up with anything, as the two cover each other so well.

Hydreigon is weak to:
Fairy x4 -- which Metagross resists with his Psychic type, and can return fire with his physical steel type attacks
Dragon x2 -- Which Metagross resists with his Steel type, and can still dent with Steel type / Psychic type STAB, as Ice Punch isn't learnable as of yet.
Ice x2 -- also resisted by, and taken care of by Steel type attacks, not that you'll be seeing an ice type in OU besides KyuB and Mamoswine

Metagross is weak to:
Fire x2 -- Which Hydreigon resists and can take care off with Surf, although, Draco Meteor could take care of fire types regardless, and Dark Pulse is preferred
Ground x2 -- Hydreigon has levitate, making him a perfect switch in. Most Ground types are weak on the special side, providing easy prey.
Dark x2 -- one of the newly acquired weaknesses, unfortunately. Checked by Focus Blast, which can be used over Fire Blast but it's accuracy demands a prayer.
Ghost x2 -- the other new weakness, also taken resisted, and defeated with Dark Pulse.

I was thinking

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Mild / Rash / Lax / Hasty
Playing standard 252/252/4 Sp.attack/Speed/Attack
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast / Focus Miss Blast
Surf/Dark Pulse
U-turn

Metagross @Assault Vest / Choice Band
Adamant
252/252/4 [HP/Attack/ SpDef] or 124/252/124/8 [HP/Attack/Sp. Def/Defense]
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Zen Headbutt
Earthquake/Hammer Arm/Power-Up Punch

Some notable flaws I'm only now seeing is MAMOSWINE. Also, my ev's are either cookie cutter, or, frankly, randomly placed.

So, some help would be appreciated for a third member in the offensive core.

What about pairing up Azumarill, (Mega)Gengar and Ferrothorn? They cover each other's weaknesses (aside from Ghost) and offensively only Poison, Electric and Bug are left open, unless you teach ferrothorn Bulldoze then only Bug is open.

Azumarill @ Choice Band / Splash Plate
Huge Power
Aqua Jet
Superpower
Play Rough
Waterfall

(Mega)Gengar @ Gengarite
Shadow Tag
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Sludge Bomb
Thunderbolt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers?
Iron Barbs
Gyro Ball
Spikes
Stealth Rock
???

Last edited:
Tailwind Talonflame + All-Out Breloom

Breloom resists rock, water, electric, and even ground if Talonflame runs Roost.
Talonflame resists ... not a whole lot, but it isn't supposed to do much other than setup Tailwind and bash its head against the opponent.
Speaking of Tailwind, a Tailwind-boosted Spore on even an Adamant Breloom, is a good way to ensure a safe switch, and Tailwind-boosted Rock Tomb or Bullet Seed does quite a bit of damage.

Talonflame | Gale Wings | Leftovers / Focus Sash
Adamant | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Tailwind | Flare Blitz | Brave Bird | Roost

Breloom | Technician | Life Orb
Adamant | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Spore | Mach Punch | Bullet Seed | Rock Tomb

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Greninja @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Scizor+Rotom-W was a common VoltTurn core in Gen 5 due to perfect defensive synergy and the ability of one to force out the other's switchins. Greninja compliments them both by being able to force out some Pokemon that could cause them both problems.

Greninja can outspeed Celebi and hit it hard with U-turn, resulting in a KO if it's taken previous damage. It can also outspeed Lati@s and can OHKO offensive ones with Ice Beam, while Defensive ones can still be hit hard with U-turn before switching out. Chesnaught can take both an HP Ice from Rotom-W as well as a U-turn/Super Power from Scizor but max HP ones are OHKO'd by Greninja's Ice Beam. Aegislash can also take a hit from either of them and set up a Swords Dance. Greninja can 2HKO max HP variants and has the potential to OHKO 4 HP ones after SR. I haven't seen many of them, but Dragalge should also be able to switch in on both Scizor and Rotom-W, but Greninja has a chance to OHKO max HP variants with Ice Beam after SR damage.

Other things Greninja can do include OHKOing 4 HP Garchomp through Yache Berry and doing a minimum of 63.37% to a max HP Magnezone. You could use Spikes on Greninja, but I found myself only being able to set them up when my opponent switches out, and most of the time I'd rather just U-turn.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Greninja @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Scizor+Rotom-W was a common VoltTurn core in Gen 5 due to perfect defensive synergy and the ability of one to force out the other's switchins. Greninja compliments them both by being able to force out some Pokemon that could cause them both problems.

Greninja can outspeed Celebi and hit it hard with U-turn, resulting in a KO if it's taken previous damage. It can also outspeed Lati@s and can OHKO offensive ones with Ice Beam, while Defensive ones can still be hit hard with U-turn before switching out. Chesnaught can take both an HP Ice from Rotom-W as well as a U-turn/Super Power from Scizor but max HP ones are OHKO'd by Greninja's Ice Beam. Aegislash can also take a hit from either of them and set up a Swords Dance. Greninja can 2HKO max HP variants and has the potential to OHKO 4 HP ones after SR. I haven't seen many of them, but Dragalge should also be able to switch in on both Scizor and Rotom-W, but Greninja has a chance to OHKO max HP variants with Ice Beam after SR damage.

Other things Greninja can do include OHKOing 4 HP Garchomp through Yache Berry and doing a minimum of 63.37% to a max HP Magnezone. You could use Spikes on Greninja, but I found myself only being able to set them up when my opponent switches out, and most of the time I'd rather just U-turn.
No Mega Scizor? I realize that Choice Band gives more damage than his evo but it does add defenses and some speed, you could maybe outspeed something or take another hit if you don't OHKO.

Ok. I've been playing around on Showdown. Here's some cores I've been experimenting with.

First, a new defensive rain core.

While Politoed's rain isn't eternal like it used to be, Physically Defensive Damp Rock Politoed still causes eight turns of rain on the switch and can use moves like Scald, Toxic, Hypnosis and Perish Song to support the team further.

Priority Rain Dance on Specially Defensive Klefki will serve as a viable second rain setter. Klefi's great defensive typing covers a lot of threats, and its Fire weakness is neutralized by the rain. Furthermore, it is free to use its other priority support moves like Spikes, Thunder Wave, etc.

Physically Defensive Zapdos covers the grass weakness of Politoed (and assuming Lightningrod ever gets release, will be able to use that as well to cover its electric weakness.) Zapdos also covers Kleki's ground weakness. Zapdos is also notable in this core because it has access to near perfect coverage with 100% rain accurate Thunder and Hidden Power Ice, and has the now buffed Defog for hazards as well as Roost for healing.

These three together will ensure the majority of the game will have rain present, and with Swift Swim now allowed with Drizzle, feel free to take advantage of the good synergy these guys have with Kingdra, Ludicolo, Kabutops and Omastar, along with all your other favorite rain mons including Azumarril, Greninja, Dragonite, Goodra, Noivern, Hurricane Volcorona, Heliolisk, Toxicroak, and Jynx.

--------------------------------

Offensive core.

Swords Dance Talonflame is so stupidly good. Taking advantage of priority, I invested in some some bulk, Flying Gem Acrobatics, Flare Blitz and priority Roost. It's just madness.

Sash Dugtrio murders Tyranitar and Heatran for Talonflame, and many grounded steel types that wall Scizor. Stone Edge can OHKO any opposing Talonflame.

Bulky Defog Scizor provides both of them with Bulk+Defog+Roost support keeping the rocks away, and can keep offensive momentum by using Bullet Punch and U-Turning away from any incoming Fire or Steel type to feed the kill to Dugtrio.

Rotom W and dedicated physical walls beat all three of these guys still, but I'm not making your whole team for you. Dammit. ;)
Why don't you post sets for them as well?

I'm trying to get a team around CharX. Any ideas?
You definitely need a spinner so regular Charizard doesn't lose half its health to SR. Excadrill and Starmie seem to be the best ones right now, as they can still hit Aegislash hard when it tries to block it. The former is probably synergy wise, as regular Charizard can switch in on Ground, Fighting, and Fire moves aimed at Excadrill while Excadrill can take Rock, Electric, and Dragon attacks aimed at Charizard.

Both Charizard X and Excadrill are weak to Ground and both regular Charizard and Excadrill are weak to Water so a bulky Grass or Water-type would be good to take on those Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)