[GP Ready 1/1] Blissey

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Despite the new special walls added this generation, Blissey still stands out as the best special wall in the game with her incredible special bulk. Barring Eviolite Chansey, Blissey's special bulk stands above all.</li>
<li>Blissey outright walls most special attackers; unless they have Trick up their sleeve, they aren't breaking through her.</li>
<li>Outside of walling special attackers, Blissey is a solid supporting Pokemon; with access to Aromatherapy makes her a solid Cleric.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Base 10 Defense makes Blissey horrendously weak to physical attackers; many unboosted physical attackers can easily 2HKO Blissey, so ample team support is necessary.</li>
<li>Blissey can still be beaten by some special attackers: Psychic-types carrying Psyshock can prey on her weaker Defense or Pokemon such as Volcarona can simply break through with raw power.</li>
<li>Florges and Sylveon give Blissey stiff competition. Their Fairy-typing gives them many unique resistances, they have similarly high special bulk and recovery, and they have a very usable special attack with STAB Moonblast. Most importantly, they are not as physically frail</li>
<li>New special tanks such as Assault Vest Tyranitar and Goodra also rival Blissey.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
<p>Blissey @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Natural Cure<br/>
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def /252 SDef <br/>
Bold Nature<br/>
- Aromatherapy<br/>
- Soft-Boiled<br/>
- Toxic / Thunder Wave<br/>
- Seismic Toss / Flamethrower</p>

<p>This set allows Blissey to wall a variety of special attackers, and from there, either wear them down, cripple them, or support the team. Aromatherapy heals status caused over the course of the battle; alongside Blissey's great special bulk, this makes her an great cleric. Toxic allows Blissey to wear down special attackers, walling and eventually KOing them, as well as crippling incoming Pokemon. Thunder Wave is an alternative status option, allowing Blissey to deal with Pokemon she can't KO herself, as well as spread paralysis to support her team. Thunder Wave is better suited to support more offensive teams, which have attackers to make use of paralysis spreading; however, Thunder Wave makes Blissey unable to deal with some special attackers. Blissey will lose to Volcarona, for example, she has Thunder Wave over Toxic.Seismic Toss is Blissey's main attacking option, wearing down the opposing Pokemon 100 HP at a time, whereas Flamethrower roasts opposing Steel-type Pokemon; both are used to hit Pokemon immune to Toxic. Generally, Seismic Toss is the preferred option to wear down special threats. Flamethrower is mainly used if you need to fry something such as Ferrothorn or Forretress, both of which can stack Spikes on Blissey otherwise. Using Flamethrower is also the only way Blissey can touch Mega Gengar. The listed EVs give Blissey ample special bulk to take on the threats she needs to, while also providing enough physical defense so that she can take some weaker physical hits such as Pursuit and some Psyshocks. Alternatively, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Bold can be used to take physical attacks and strong Psyshocks, such as from Life Orb Alakazam.</p>

<p>Blissey needs ample team support to take on physical attackers for her. Good teammates are ones with high enough of a Defense to take on the variety of physical attackers which threaten her, particularly those who can combat Fighting-types. In return, many of the common physical walls also appreciate Blissey's ability to take special attacks for them and support them with Aromatherapy. Slowbro and RestTalk Gyarados are fantastic partners, walling many of the metagames's physical attackers, in particular checking many Fighting-types thanks to their resistances; RestTalk Gyarados in particular loves Blissey's ability to wake it up from its sleep with Aromatherapy. Hippowdon is a very solid physical wall and stall Pokemon, and it can take on many physical attackers, phaze with with Whirlwind, and support the team with sandstorm. Ferrothorn is a good teammate in this vein, but with Spikes and Stealth Rock for supporting, however, the shared Fighting-type weakness can be problematic. Blissey and Skarmory form the well known SkarmBliss core: together, they wall both physical and special attackers. However, it is less effective than it was in the past, due to there being stronger and more common mixed attackers in the metagame. Despite the Fighting-type weakness, Tyranitar is a decent teammate, forming a formidable specially defensive core with Blissey, while supporting the team with sandstorm. Blissey appreciates Rapid Spin support so that she does not get worn down over the course of the battle; Forretress and Tentacruel are the main defensive options. Forretress is a bulky physical wall for Blissey, whereas Tentacruel brings a valuable Fighting-type resistance to the table. Excadrill is also a Rapid Spin user, and if supported with Sand Stream from Hippowdon or Tyranitar, Excadrill also functions as a check to many Pokemon and a late game sweeper. Finally, being a stall Pokemon, Blissey appreciates Spikes support to wear down threats, so defensive Spikes users such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory again, make for solid teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Blissey isn't that hard to deal with; physical attackers that can switch in safely and pack a threatening physical attack can beat her easily. Physical Pokemon which can take status, such as Guts Heracross and Conkeldurr, Lum Berry Haxorus and Dragonite, Poison Heal Gliscor, and RestTalk Gyarados, are the best counters, as they can all switch in safely and even set up on Blissey. Crobat only fears Thunder Wave paralysis, and can wear Blissey down. As far as checks go, strong physical attackers can dispose of Blissey easily. In particular, Fighting-types like Lucario can flat out OHKO her unboosted, and strong Choice Band users pose a similar threat. Blissey takes a solid chunk of damage from Pursuit if she switches, so she can be chipped away by Tyranitar and Scizor. Tyranitar fears little from Blissey, outside of being statused, but Scizor must be wary of Flamethrower. Dugtrio can trap Blissey with less than 40% health and KO her with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Blissey has a few non-physical checks as well. Blissey can't touch Alakazam and Reuniclus, but they can hit her hard with Psyshock or boost on her to sweep. Blissey cannot wall special attackers who can boost their special attack and control their status. Those Pokemon not only check Blissey, but can be potentially game ending, as Blissey is usually their main counter to such Pokemon. For example, ChestoRest Volcarona can set up on Blissey multiple times, go to sleep, 2HKO her and sweep the rest of the team. Blissey heavily relies on status moves to do her job, so Taunt users such as Sableye and are a headache and, can wear her down with Will-O-Wisp. While not outright beating Blissey, Trick users such as Choice Scarf Rotom-W can shut down Blissey and make her pretty much useless. Choice Specs Gothitelle can trap and KO Blissey if she has less than 50% health. If Blissey lacks Flamethrower, Mega Gengar can outlast her, stalling her out.</p>

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Despite the new special walls added this generation, Blissey still stands out as the special wall of the game thanks to her incredible special bulk. Outside of her sister Chansey, Blissey's special bulk stands above all.</li>
<li>Blissey straight up just walls most special attackers that don't break through her. Unless they have a Trick (heh pun) up their sleeve, they aren't breaking through her.</li>
<li>Outside of walling special attackers, Blissey is a solid supporting Pokemon, with access to Aromatherapy, making her an excellent Cleric.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Blissey is horrendously weak to physical attackers with base 10 Defense, many unboosted physical attackers can easily 2HKO Blissey.</li>
<li>If one uses Blissey they have to support her adequately on the physical side to cover that weakness.</li>
<li>Some special Psychic-types can beat her down with Psyshock. Some special attackers can use raw special power to break through her, like Volcarona at times.</li>
<li>The new special walls Florges and Sylveon give Blissey stiff competition. Their their Fairy-typing gives them many unique resistances, they have similarly high special bulk, and they has a very use able special attack with STAB Moonblast, and most importantly don't have an as ridiculously frail physical side.</li>
<li>Assault vest allows Tyranitar and Goodra are very formidable special tanks, rivaling Blissey.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
Bold Nature<br/>
- Aromatherapy<br/>
- Soft-Boiled<br/>

<p>
  • This set allows Blissey to wall a variety of special attackers, Blissey then effectively sets up a platform on to wear them down, cripple them, for support the team.
  • Blissey can make use of Aromatherapy to heal the status of her team, supporting it.
  • Toxic allows Blissey to wear down special attackers, walling them out and eventually KOing them.
  • Thunder Wave is alternative option, allowing Blissey to cripple Pokemon Blissey can't KO herself, as well as spreading paralysis to support her team.
  • Thunder Wave is more suited to support more balanced teams which can have attackers to make use of paralysis spreading. If running Thunder Wave Blissey will be unable to wear down many special attackers, losing one on one to Volcarona for example.
  • Seismic Toss is Blissey's main attacking option, wearing down threats 100 HP at a time for all Pokemon outside of Ghost-types. For this is pairs well with Toxic to hit Pokemon whom are immune to poison.
  • Flamethrower is another move option, it pairs up well with Toxic to hit Steel-types super-effectively.
  • Generally, Seismic Toss is the preferred option to wear down special threats, Flamethrower is mainly used if you need hit fry Ferrothorn or Forretress, who can stack Spikes on Blissey otherwise. Flamethrower is also the only way Blissey can touch Mega Gengar, who can outside beat her out one on one.
  • The EVs give her solid special bulk, but enough physical defense so that she can take some weaker physical hits like Pursuit and Psyshock.
  • Alternatively 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Bold can be used, taking physical attacks better and a strong Psyshock from the likes of Alakazam.
</p>

<p>
  • Blissey needs ample team support to take on physical attackers for her. Good partners are ones with high defense to take on the variety of physical attackers, particularly against fighting types. Many of the common physical walls also appreciate Blissey's ability to take special attacks for them.
  • Slowbro and Rest-Talk Gyarados makes a fantastic partners, walling out many of the metagames's physical attackers, in particular checking many Fighting-types. Gyarados in particular loves Blissey's support, waking it up from its sleep with Aromatherapy.
  • Hippowdon is a very solid physical wall and stalling Pokemon. It can take on many physical attackers, and in addition support the team with Sandstorm and phazing with Whirlwind. Ferrothorn is a good partner in this same vein, but with Spikes and Stealth Rock, however the shared fighting weakness can be problematic.
  • Skarmory forms the well known Skarm-Bliss core, where Blissey and Skarmory together wall out both sides of the attacking spectrum. However it is less effective than in the past, with stronger and more common mixed attackers in the metagame.
  • Tyranitar, despite the Fighting-type weakness, doubles as a special wall and sets up sandstorm.
  • Blissey appreciates Rapid Spin support so that she does not get worn down in the course of the battle. Forretress and Tentacruel are the main defensive options. Forretress is a bulky physical wall for Blissey, while Tentacruel brings a valuable Fighting-type resistance to the table. Excadrill is also a decent spinner if Blissey has already been paired with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. In addition it is decent general check and late game sweeper.
  • Being a stall Pokemon, Blissey appreciates Spikes support to wear down threats. Again defensive Pokemon like Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory all are solid defensive teammates.
</p>
[Checks and Counters]
<p>
  • Physical attackers who can switch in safely and pack a threatening physical attack can beat Blissey easily.
  • Guts Pokemon like Conkeldurr and Heracross enjoy being statused and threaten to 1HKO with their Fighting STAB, and then use her to set up.
  • A similar situation happens with Lum Berry users like Dragonite and Haxorus, who can easily switch in and set up with Dragon Dance.
  • Toxic Orb Gliscor switches in with ease, and can stall her out or set up Swords Dance.
  • Sleep-Talk users like Gyarados can break through Blissey in their sleep.
  • Crobat only fears Thunder Wave paralysis, and can beat Blissey down.
  • Any physical attacker who has a decent attack can check Blissey really.
  • In particular physical Fighting-types like Lucario make excellent checks, most of which can flat out 1HKO her. Strong choice band users do the same.
  • Blissey takes a solid chunk of damage from Pursuit, so she can be chipped away by Tyranitar and Scizor. Tyranitar switches in relatively safely, outside of being statused, but Scizor must be wary of Flamethrower. Dugtrio can trap and KO a weakened Blissey.
</p>

<p>
  • As special attackers go, Blissey can't touch Alakazam and Reuniclus, who can crush her with Psyshock or boost on her to sweep.
  • Special attackers who can boost their attack and control their status can muscle through Blissey.
  • Chesto-Rest Volcarona can set up on Blissey for free.
  • Blissey heavily relies on status moves to do her job, so Taunt users like Sableye and are a headache and can wear her down slowly with Willow-Wisp.
  • Trick users like Scarf Rotom-W can shut down Blissey and make her pretty much useless.
  • Specs Gothitelle can KO a weakened Blissey with Psyshock.
</p>

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any mention of Latios due to it not being released and the other options section needs to be removed. I also think that the cons section needs to mention how Assault Vest Tyranitar gives Blissey a huge amount of competition due to its greater offensive presence, Pursuit, and similar special bulk.

Some of your HTML is broken. Be sure to close all <p> tags with </p>. You don't need <br /> tags at the end of <p> tags, HTML will insert a linebreak after a </p> tag anyway.

Now that specs hydro pumps in the rain are no longer a real issue, I don't think Blissey needs a calm nature. 4 hp / 252 def / 252 spdef bold is probably best, but I know how controversial Blissey EVs can be, so I'm not 100% dead set on that.

This moveset from the BW analysis looks perfect to me:

- Wish / Softboiled
- Protect / Aromatherapy
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss / Flamethrower

With set comments explaining that you're basically using one side of the slashes or the other.

In the cons section, mention that Blissey has trouble punishing switches to physical attackers. A big reason why people would use Sylveon or Florges this gen instead of Blissey is because they have STAB Moonblast from good SpA, whereas Blissey has to use a status move or seismic toss.

Hydro-Pumps in the rain aren't really that much of an issue, but there are still plenty of other special attackers which can do a ton like Charizard Y in the sun. Also I am playing around with the evs still to see what works.

Currently Blissey does not have legal access to Wish or Siesmic Toss (gen 3 moves), if it did, you can be sure I would have it in there. If the legality policy changes please tell me because that would effect this a lot.

Will fix up cons and html.

edit: also added Thunder Wave enough though IMO its poo

Last edited:
That move legality thing is really annoying. The moveset looks good then.

If I'm calcing this right:
252 SpA Charizard-Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey in sun: 202-238 (30.98 - 36.5%)
252 SpA Charizard-Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in sun: 184-217 (28.22 - 33.28%)

I'd rather have the defense to take pursuits, weaker scarf pokemon, and psyshocks, but I know this is a controversial EV spread, so I'm hoping others can weigh in to form more of a consensus.

The rest of what you have looks good for a WIP. Just fill out some check and counters and add a OO section and this should be good to go.

Yeah after more thought, 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef Bold is probably the right spread, so far this gen is a bit lacking in the special powerhouses (although just wait until Thundurs and Landous are legal again). For charities sake, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Calm has the same bulk however the less HP reduces Leech Seed recovery and such, and its not like Blissey can pass wishes at the moment, so the spread with less HP is objectively better at the moment.

I think I fixed up the tags right... sorry this HTML format is new to me (although ironically I know how to code sites using it lol).

Also, even though this is close to being done, I am going to keep it WIP a bit longer as I need to do work today and wouldn't be able to write it in 24 hours is theoretically if got 2 approvals. I will finish this up more this weekend.

edit: added OO

Last edited:
Seismic Toss as an egg move has been confirmed.

I have updated it accordingly, however I wonder if this warrants a slashing change in the current metagame, without Flamethrower, Mega-Gengar can eventually wear down Blissey one on one. I haven't had much of a problem with Mega-Gengar personally, as I trap and kill the beast with Tyranitar most of the time. Still though, perhaps a set like:

-Soft-boiled
-Flamethrower / Aromatherapy
-Seismic Toss / Flamethrower
-Toxic / Thunder Wave

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh whew. For a moment there I though you might have added a Wish set, which I would have displayed all my anger at if that happened.

Just remember to remove post-Pokemon Pokemon and moves such as Hippowdon with Stealth Rock, and Jirachi's existence. Also mention Goodra next to Assault Vest Tyranitar in your Cons, as it is a very competent special wall despite a lack of recovery.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
couple of things:

First, get rid of Jellicent mentions in counters as its currently unavailable.

Generally, Seismic Toss is the preferred option to wear down special threats, Flamethrower is mainly used if you need to 2HKO Skarmory or Scizor in a pinch
Scizor outspeeds Blissey, you're not killing Scizor with Flamethrower unless it's dumb and tries to set up on you, or if it's dumb and switches in on you. I'd replace that mention with something like Forretress and Ferrothorn, both of which can spikestack easily on Blissey if you dont pack Flamethrower -- that's the main selling point.

Tyranitar makes a solid partner, despite the shared Fighting-type weakness, to take on special attackers which may break through her with Psyshock. Together Tyranitar and Blissey for a very potent special wall combo.
I wouldn't count on Tyranitar to switch into a Psyshock from Alakazam or Reuniclus since they commonly run Focus Blast. Assault Vest Tar could take them on, but I wouldn't consider Tyranitar a decent response to those types of threats anyway. That's not to say that Tyranitar isn't a good teammate to Blissey, but it's generally just for getting Sandstorm up + doubling as a special wall (your second point).

For your counters section, I realize that it's still in skeleton format and everything, but you should really condense and / or group a lot of that information together. Bullets like

• Physical attackers in general can scare Blissey out with ease, if they can get in safely.
and
  • Any physical attacker who has a decent attack can check Blissey really.
are redundant and could easily be shortened to something along the lines of "physical attackers who can switch in safely and pack a threatening physical attack can beat Blissey easily" without compensating for the info. Just make sure when you write this up that the checks and counters section is a little less redundant as the bullets. Even stuff in the cons section is a bit redundant, mainly your first two points about "base 10 defense" and "it's physically frail" -- people can deduce that it's physically frail when you say it has base 10 defense.

Solid otherwise, write it up and i'll stamp when it's done.

STEALTH EDIT:

I kind of disagree about Tyranitar, as I have found it to be very effective for those Pokemon, but whatever. Also Flamethrower is really nice to roast Scizor on the switch in or is tries to Swords Dance on Blissey, even if it doesn't outspeed (although it can but lets not get into that). I just sorted that under steel-type coverages I guess.
Sure, Tyranitar can deal with those kinds of threats, but it has to switch in safely -- which it can't always do as Reun/Zam commonly run Focus Blast. It just seemed that from what you wrote originally that Tyranitar was a straightup counter to these Pokemon, and it really isn't because Tyranitar is a bit shaky against Focus Blast.

And yeah lets not discuss speed evs on Blissey :|

3/3 Princess Bubblegum

Last edited:
I kind of disagree about Tyranitar, as I have found it to be very effective for those Pokemon, but whatever. Also Flamethrower is really nice to roast Scizor on the switch in or is tries to Swords Dance on Blissey, even if it doesn't outspeed (although it can but lets not get into that). I just sorted that under steel-type coverages I guess.

Ok I wrote it up with the suggested changes, I am unsure if I was suppose to, so I kept the skeleton (I think you are suppose to do that anyway).

Idk if I sorted out the redundant stuff up, if anyone thinks its still redundant, just tell me.

Also, this is like my first time doing this, so idk what I am doing, I kind of just took the skeleton undid the bullet points with a handful of edits to make it flow. I am unsure how much of the skeleton I can use in the write up.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I believe 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef Calm is more efficient than the spread in the OP by a hair. Frankly, though, I don't see why 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef Bold shouldn't be the main spread (and nature) now. Almost every notable Special Attack has been nerfed to the point where Blissey can safely sponge all of them with no investment. Not to mention, Drizzle has a timer now, which means she won't need to stomach rain-boosted Specs Hydro Pumps as often as before.

I believe 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef Calm is more efficient than the spread in the OP by a hair.
The which one is superior varies depending on how powerful of move is actually.

252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 153-183 (23.46 - 28.06%)
252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Blissey: 169-200 (23.66 - 28.01%)

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 308-363 (47.23 - 55.67%)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Blissey: 337-398 (47.19 - 55.74%)

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 383-452 (58.74 - 69.32%)
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Blissey: 419-495 (58.68 - 69.32%)

As the power gets stronger, yes that spread is a tiny bit better, however at lower levels, Blissey loses less HP. Since they are virtually identical in this way, the current spread gains superiority, as with lower HP, it gives less HP from Leech Seed and draining moves.

Frankly, though, I don't see why 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef Bold shouldn't be the main spread (and nature) now. Almost every notable Special Attack has been nerfed to the point where Blissey can safely sponge all of them with no investment. Not to mention, Drizzle has a timer now, which means she won't need to stomach rain-boosted Specs Hydro Pumps as often as before.
Volcarona is still a huge special threat

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 308-363 (47.23 - 55.67%) -- 19.14% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 245 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 370-437 (51.96 - 61.37%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO

For this calc alone, running more special defense is worth it, otherwise Volcarona can muscle through Blissey, which is shouldn't be able to IMO.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
I hate to say this, but I really had to do too much here...

and are you sure mega gengar Koes blissey? stall it out of PP maybe, but KO, i'm not so sure.

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Despite the new special walls added this generation, Blissey still stands out as the best special wall of the game, thanks to her incredible special bulk. Outside of her sister Chansey, Blissey's special bulk stands above all.</li>
<li>Blissey outright walls most special attackers; that cannot break through her. Unless they have a Trick up their sleeve, they aren't breaking through her.</li>
<li>Outside of walling special attackers, Blissey is a solid supporting Pokemon, with access to Aromatherapy, making her a solid Ccleric.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Blissey is horrendously weak to physical attackers, with base 10 Defense. Many unboosted physical attackers can easily 2HKO Blissey.</li>
<li>I
, so if one uses Blissey you to support her amply on her frail physical side.</li>
<li>Some Psychic-types can beat her down with Psyshock on her physical side. Other. A few special attackers, like Volcarona, can use raw power to break through her, like Volcarona at times.</li>
<li>The new special walls Florges and Sylveon give Blissey stiff competition. Their Fairy-typing gives them many unique resistances, they have similarly high special bulk and recovery, and they have a very usable special attack with STAB Moonblast, most importantly, they doare not have an as ridiculousas physically frail physical side.</li>
<li>New special tanks like Assault vVest Tyranitar and Goodra also rival Blissey.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
Bold Nature<br/>
- Aromatherapy<br/>
- Soft-Boiled<br/>

<p>This set allows Blissey to wall a variety of special attackers, and from there Blissey can set up a platform on which to wear them down, cripple them, or support the team. Aromatherapy, heals status caused over the course of the battle, thanks towhich alongside Blissey's great special bulk, makinges her an excellent C great cleric. Toxic allows Blissey to wear down special attackers, walling them out and eventually KOing them, as well as crippling incoming Pokemon. Thunder Wave is an alternative crippling optionstatus, allowing Blissey to cripple Pokemon she can't KO herself, as well as spreading paralysis to support her team. Thunder Wave is more suited to support more balancedoffensive teams, which have attackers to make use of paralysis spreading. If running Thunder Wave, Blissey will be unable to wear down many special attackers, losing one on one to Volcarona, for example. Seismic Toss is Blissey's main attacking option, wearing down the opposing Pokemon 100 HP at a time., while Flamethrower is another move option to roasts opposing Steel-type Pokemon. Seismic Toss and Flamethrower syngergize well with Toxic,; both are used to hitting Pokemon which are immune to pPoison, mainly opposing Steel-types. Generally, Seismic Toss is the preferred option to wear down special threats. Flamethrower is mainly used if you need hito fry something like Ferrothorn or Forretress, who can stack Spikes on Blissey otherwise. Using Flamethrower is also the only way Blissey can touch Mega Gengar, who can otherwise beat her out one on one. The listed EVs give Blissey solid special bulk to take on the threats she needs to, while also providing enough physical defense so that she can take some weaker physical hits like Pursuit, as well ands most Psyshocks. Alternatively, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Bold can be used, to take physical attacks better and a strong Psyshock from the likes, such as ofrom Life Orb Alakazam, better.</p>

<p>Blissey needs ample team support to take on physical attackers for her. Good teammates are ones with high defense to take on a variety of physical attackers which threaten her, particularly those who can combat Fighting-types. In return, many of the common physical walls also appreciate Blissey's ability to take special attacks for them, and support them with Aromatherapy. Slowbro and Rest-Talk Gyarados are fantastic partners, walling out many of the metagames's physical attackers, in particular checking many Fighting-types thanks to their resistances. RestTalk Gyarados in particular loves Blissey's support, waking it up from its sleep with Aromatherapy. Hippowdon is a very solid physical wall and stalling Pokemon, and it can take on many physical attackers, phazing with withe Whirlwind, and support the team with Sandstorm. Ferrothorn is a good teammate in this same vein, but with Spikes and Stealth Rock for supporting, however, the shared Fighting-type weakness can be problematic. Blissey and Skarmory form the well known Skarm-Bliss core, where Blissey and Skarmory, together, wall out both physides of thecal and special attacking spectrumers. However, it is less effective than it was in the past, with stronger and more common mixed attackers in the metagame. Despite the Fighting-type weakness, Tyranitar is a decent teammate, doubling with Blissey they forming a formidable specially defensive core with Blissey, while supporting the team with sandstorm. Blissey appreciates Rapid Spin support so that she does not get worn down over the course of the battle,. Forretress and Tentacruel are the main defensive options to spin. Forretress is a bulky physical wall for Blissey, while Tentacruel brings a valuable Fighting-type resistance to the table. Excadrill is also a solid spinner, and if supported with Sands Stream from Hippowdon or Tyranitar, Excadrill doublealso functions as a check to many Pokemon and a late game sweeper. Finally, being a stalling Pokemon, Blissey appreciates Spikes support to wear down threats, so defensive Spikes users like Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory all are again solid teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Blissey isn't that hasrd to deal with, physical attackers who can switch in safely and pack a threatening physical attack can beat her easily. Physical Pokemon which can take status are the best counters, like Guts Heracross and Conkeldurr, Lum Berry Haxorus and Dragonite, Poison Heal Gliscor, and RestTalk Gyaraodos, all of whichre the best counters, as they can all switch in safely and even set up on Blissey. Crobat only fears Thunder Wave paralysis, and can wear Blissey down. As far as checkings goes, strong physical attackers can dispose of Blissey easily. In particular, Fighting-types like Lucario, most of which can flat out 1HKO her unboosted, and strong Choice Band users do the same. Blissey takes a solid chunk of damage from Pursuit if she switches, so she can be chipped away by Tyranitar and Scizor. Tyranitar fears little from Blissey , outside of being statused, howeverbut Scizor must be wary of Flamethrower. Dugtrio can trap and KO a weakened Blissey underwith less than 40% and KO her with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Blissey has a few non-physical checks as well. Blissey can't touch Alakazam and Reuniclus, while they can hit her hard with Psyshock or boost on her to sweep. Blissey cannot wall special attackers who can boost their special attack and control their status. Those Pokemon not only check Blissey, but can be potentially game ending, as Blissey is usually their main counter to such Pokemon. For example, Chesto-Rest Volcarona can set up on Blissey multiple times, go to sleep, 2HKO her and sweep the rest of the team. Blissey heavily relies on status moves to do her job, so Taunt users like Sableye and are a headache and, can wear her down with Willow-O-Wisp. While not outright beating Blissey, Trick users like Scarf Rotom-W can shut down Blissey and make her pretty much useless. Choice Specs Gothitelle can trap and KO Blissey if Blissey has loweress than 50% health. If Blissey is withoutlacks Flamethrower, Mega Gengar outlasts and eventually KOs her.</p>

Thank you for the unofficial GP check. Yeah I kind of suck at writing, everything I write naturally seems to have what they call a "passive voice" I think.

Also, Mega-Gengar can get lucky with the Focus Blasts for special defense drops and finish off with Sludge Bomb or whatever. Even if Gengar doesn't do that, it will very likely poison Blissey eventually with Sludge Bomb, causing her to rapidly lose PP. Finally, which I am unsure of the most common Gengar set, I think they all have more PP than what it listed (without Flamethrower) as Aromatherapy has only 8 PP. So yeah, at the least Gengar can PP stall.

I edited it slightly to reflect that.

One constructive criticism of your rate, tehy, that I would like to make, is that you seem to have the tendency to try to create words with what you are getting rid of, saving a vowel or s here and there for the new words. Yeah... try to avoid that, its kind of annoying. :P Again I did appreciate the arm check.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Despite the new special walls added this generation, Blissey still stands out as the best special wall in the game, thanks to with her incredible special bulk. Outside of her sister Barring Eviolite Chansey, Blissey's special bulk stands above all.</li>
<li>Blissey outright walls most special attackers; unless they have a Trick up their sleeve, they aren't breaking through her.</li>
<li>Outside of walling special attackers, Blissey is a solid supporting Pokemon; access to Aromatherapy makes her a solid Cleric.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Base 10 Defense makes Blissey is horrendously weak to physical attackers, with base 10 Defense.; many unboosted physical attackers can easily 2HKO Blissey, so ample team support is necessary if one uses Blissey support her amply on her frail physical side.</li>
<li>Some Psychic-types can beat her down with Psyshock. A few special attackers, like Volcarona, can use raw power to break through her.</li> [[I personally dislike how this entire line is written. Below are two. The first is a slight modification to make the original grammatically correct, the second is my completely reworked suggestion. Choose one.]]
<li>Some Psychic-types can use Psyshock to beat her down. A few special attackers such as Volcarona can use raw power to break through her.</li>
or
<li>Blissey can still be beaten by some special attackers: Psychic-types carrying Psyshock can prey on her weaker Defense or Pokemon such as Volcarona can simply break through with raw power.</li>

<li>Florges and Sylveon give Blissey stiff competition. Their Fairy-typing gives them many unique resistances, they have similarly high special bulk and recovery, and they have a very usable special attack with STAB Moonblast. Most importantly, they are not as physically frail</li>
<li>New special tanks such as Assault Vest Tyranitar and Goodra also rival Blissey.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
Bold Nature<br/>
- Aromatherapy<br/>
- Soft-Boiled<br/>

<p>This set allows Blissey to wall a variety of special attackers, and from there, either Blissey can wear them down, cripple them, or support the team. Aromatherapy heals status caused over the course of the battle; which alongside Blissey's great special bulk, this makes her an great cleric. Toxic allows Blissey to wear down special attackers, walling them and eventually KOing them, as well as crippling incoming Pokemon. Thunder Wave is an alternative status option, allowing Blissey to deal with Pokemon she can't KO herself, as well as spread paralysis to support her team. Thunder Wave is better suited to support more offensive teams, which have attackers to make use of paralysis spreading; however, Thunder Wave makes Blissey unable to deal with some special attackers. Blissey will lose to Volcarona, for example, she has Thunder Wave over Toxic. If running Thunder Wave, Blissey will be unable to wear down many special attackers, losing one on one to Volcarona for example. Seismic Toss is Blissey's main attacking option, wearing down the opposing Pokemon 100 HP at a time, whereas Flamethrower roasts opposing Steel-type Pokemon; and are both are used to hit Pokemon immune to Toxic, mainly Steel-types. Generally, Seismic Toss is the preferred option to wear down special threats. Flamethrower is mainly used if you need to fry something such as Ferrothorn or Forretress, both of which can stack Spikes on Blissey otherwise. Using Flamethrower is also the only way Blissey can touch Mega Gengar, who can otherwise beat her out one on one. The listed EVs give Blissey ample special bulk to take on the threats she needs to, while also providing enough physical defense so that she can take some weaker physical hits such as Pursuit as well as most and some Psyshocks. Alternatively, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Bold can be used to more effectively take physical attacks and strong Psyshocks, such as from Life Orb Alakazam, better.</p>

<p>Blissey needs ample team support to take on physical attackers for her. Good teammates are ones with high enough of a Defense to take on the variety of physical attackers which threaten her, particularly those who can combat Fighting-types. In return, many of the common physical walls also appreciate Blissey's ability to take special attacks for them, and support them with Aromatherapy. Slowbro and RestTalk Gyarados are fantastic partners, walling many of the metagames's physical attackers, in particular checking many Fighting-types thanks to their resistances; RestTalk Gyarados in particular loves Blissey's ability to wake it up from its sleep with Aromatherapy. Hippowdon is a very solid physical wall and stall Pokemon, [[space]] and it can take on many physical attackers, phaze with with Roar, and support the team with sandstorm. Ferrothorn is a good teammate in this vein, but with Spikes and Stealth Rock for supporting; however, the shared Fighting-type weakness can be problematic. Blissey and Skarmory form the well known SkarmBliss core: where Blissey and Skarmory, together, they wall both physical and special attackers. However, it is less effective than it was in the past, due to there being stronger and more common mixed attackers in the metagame. Despite the Fighting-type weakness, Tyranitar is a decent teammate, forming a formidable specially defensive core with Blissey, while supporting the team with sandstorm. Blissey appreciates Rapid Spin support so that she does not get worn down over the course of the battle; Forretress and Tentacruel are the main defensive options to spin. Forretress is a bulky physical wall for Blissey, whereas Tentacruel brings a valuable Fighting-type resistance to the table. Excadrill is also a solid Rapid Spin user, and if supported with Sand Stream from Hippowdon or Tyranitar, Excadrill also functions as a check to many Pokemon and a late game sweeper. Finally, being a stall Pokemon, Blissey appreciates Spikes support to wear down threats, so defensive Spikes users such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory all are again again, make for solid teammates.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Blissey isn't that hard to deal with; physical attackers that can switch in safely and pack a threatening physical attack can beat her easily. Physical Pokemon which can take status, such as Guts Heracross and Conkeldurr, Lum Berry Haxorus and Dragonite, Poison Heal Gliscor, and RestTalk Gyarados, are the best counters, as they can all switch in safely and even set up on Blissey. Crobat only fears Thunder Wave paralysis, and can wear Blissey down. As far as checks go, strong physical attackers can dispose of Blissey easily. In particular, Fighting-types like Lucario, can flat out OHKO her unboosted, and strong Choice Band users pose a similar threat. Blissey takes a solid chunk of damage from Pursuit if she switches, so she can be chipped away by Tyranitar and Scizor. Tyranitar fears little from Blissey, outside of being statused, but Scizor must be wary of Flamethrower. Dugtrio can trap Blissey with less than 40% health and KO her with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Blissey has a few non-physical checks as well. Blissey can't touch Alakazam and Reuniclus, but they can hit her hard with Psyshock or boost on her to sweep. Blissey cannot wall special attackers who can boost their special attack and control their status. Those Pokemon not only check Blissey, but can be potentially game ending, as Blissey is usually their main counter to such Pokemon. For example, ChestoRest Volcarona can set up on Blissey multiple times, go to sleep, 2HKO her, and sweep the rest of the team. Blissey heavily relies on status moves to do her job, so Taunt users such as Sableye and are a headache and, can wear her down with Will-O-Wisp. While not outright beating Blissey, Trick users such as Choice Scarf Rotom-W can shut down Blissey and make her pretty much useless. Choice Specs Gothitelle can trap and KO Blissey if she has less than 50% health. If Blissey lacks Flamethrower, Mega Gengar can outlast her, stalling her out.</p>
The number of issues here is not insignificant.

Your writing style is very sloppy. In particular, please look at your placements of commas, your clause construction, and the overall flow of your sentences.

Moreover, there were a number of mistakes that Tehy highlighted that you neglected, and as a result I had to reidentify them. Please exercise caution so that this doesn't happen in the future.

Finally, a lot of your word choices were sub-par; for example when you talk about the difference between Thunder Wave and Toxic, the word "cripple" or some derivation thereof is used about 3-4 times. That's way too many. While this is just supposed to be a preview and not some literary work of art, at the least it should not be boring to read.

Overall, these are all issues that with time, effort, and patience, you can notice yourself. Please be careful when you write and regularly check over your own work. Refer to the Grammar Standards thread if need be.

I don't mean to bash you, and this wasn't absolutely horrendous, but there is a large margin for improvement. Feel free to get in touch if you want to discuss this further.

otherwise; GP APPROVED.

Also, as an aside - while you're free to make comments about the nature of people's checks, even amateur ones, it's usually the case that they make a change for a reason. Even if they end up adding more words, if it improves the quality of prose, you should generally adhere to what they suggest. Saying "try to avoid that, its kind of annoying" is pretty much telling the checker in question "I don't like how you do things", which I take to be slightly offensive when we're the ones helping. While nobody is saying you have to follow the entire check to the dot, given that this specific instance there was only one set, conciseness is not an issue; good, clear prose and a clean interpretation are more important.

with my experience, the B/W moveset that has Substitute in place of Aromatherapy on that set (Soft-Boiled, Substitute, Toxic, Flamethrower) has been working out really well for me still and is really good anti-tank. Not QC, just saying the old moveset still works fantastically.

Thanks you for reminding me, I have had this on the backburner and had time just now.

Anyway, the check is Implemented. I do however have to go through it again because I imagine I missed a few things, (I didn't even know I missed things last time).

The only thing I didn't implement was Whirlwind -> Roar for the Hippowdon teammate part, as Hippowdon can and should be using Whildwind now. It is part of the completed set here.

Does this make it Completed now? In any case its just going to be GP 1/1 until I check again...

---

I do apologize for any inconvenience I have been. Outside of my procrastination (I should of admittedly implemented this sooner), my poor writing isn't because of laziness, but because I am terrible at English and have a learning disorder. I cannot for the life of me understand what a clause is or identify the subject of a sentence. And yes, I did almost fail middle school English because of this, the American school system just keeps on pushing you along even if you didn't learn anything and focuses more on MLA style than what is actually written.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)