• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Freeze Dry:

Type:

Category: Special
BP: 70
PP: 20 (max 32)

XY Description: "The user rapidly cools the target. This may also leave the target frozen. This move is super effective on Water types"

Learnset:

Lapras (egg move):

Articuno
Cryogonal
Vanilluxe
Aurorus
Delibird

Notable Type Combos:

Freeze Dry + Water: Resisted by Jynx and Shedinja (due to their respective abilities)

Other types:

Electric
Fight
Ghost
Dark
Ground

Commentary:

Despite coming from the desert and being a professional Dracophile, I've always had an unhealthy crush on Ice types, and seeing this move being given to them despite the crap and negligence they have been through is just great.

According to this thread, Freeze Dry + Water move is only resisted by Jynx and Shedinja by virtue of their abilities, and I believe similar type combos will yield near perfect coverage for lots of ice types. The other interesting thing is its freeze rate is believed to be higher than 10%, but by how much is unknown atm. If you have met a Jirachi with Ice Punch a couple of times, you know how terrifying 20% freeze rate is, let alone a higher percentage. Pokemon such as Kingdra and Gyradous will be among the first pokemon to shake in fear, and instead of being neutral to Ice they are now hit x4 by this move.

Other notable pokemon hit x4 by it (list credit goes to Nitemare667):

Gyarados
Barboach
Ducklett, Swanna
Wingull, Pelipper
Gastrodon
Kingdra
Palkia

Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo
Mantyke, Mantine
Wooper, Quagsire
Seismitoad
Swampert
Whiscash

Also, we don't know if we got all pokemon who learn it listed yet. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
I seriously doubt any water type that isn't part ice would get this move for rather obvious reasons. Anyways Lapras gets it via breeding with Aurorus and Freeze Dry+Water move has perfect coverage except for Shedinja and Dry Skin Jynx.
There are reports on the freezing chance being as high as 30% but we have no proof yet. It is currently assumed to have a 10% freezing chance on PS until further notice.

Mostly a niche move due to 70 BP. Its users may consider the move as if it were Hidden Power, only using it if there are Water-types they really need to get past through

Shame no Sheer Force user is known to learn this, because that would have been something of note

That said, if it has a higher freeze rate then that's a completely different situation

I seriously doubt any water type that isn't part ice would get this move for rather obvious reasons. Anyways Lapras gets it via breeding with Aurorus and Freeze Dry+Water move has perfect coverage except for Shedinja and Dry Skin Jynx.
There are reports on the freezing chance being as high as 30% but we have no proof yet. It is currently assumed to have a 10% freezing chance on PS until further notice.
Yes, it is pretty unlikely. But in a gen where Flareon can learn Flare Blitz anything can happen. If it is limited to ice types and has the standard 10% freeze rate it will cut the usefulness of this move down by a lot.

I don't care as much for the freeze rate, but this move might be the go-to Ice STAB for most Pokemon that get it.

Hitting water types for super effective damage when they are second type with most Pokemon as of now is huge. I'm pretty certain water is such a great defensive typing that most teams usually carry a Water type. Steel is very popular too, but at least you are hitting another Ice resist for super effective damage.

I think it'll be either better coverage with Freeze Dry or better attack power with Ice Beam. 20BP is a big deal, so it's a very team dependent choice.

Why not just run both Ice Beam and Freeze Dry, at least on certain pokemon? Lapras has almost perfect coverage with its STABs so it can drop Thunderbolt for this move, which is in fact stronger than a non-STAB Thunderbolt.
That's actually pretty freaking true! Only Water, Fire, Ice and Steel resist Ice. If we forgo Thunderbolt for STAB Freeze Dry, we end up with Ice, Fire and Steel resists, two of which are neutrally and one super effectively by Water. That's pretty cool man.

Here are some other great combos with Freeze Dry:

Freeze Dry +

Water
Electric
Fight
Ghost
Dark
Ground
Freeze Dry + Fighting leaves you resisted only by Fire.

Last edited:
I can see this on Lapras with the new sleep mechanics nerf:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb / Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Rain Dance

If freeze dry has 30% freeze, this would be quite annoying to face. But perfect neutral coverage outside of dry skin jynx and shedinja.

EDIT: Forgot Lapras can't learn scald

Last edited:
I can see this on Lapras with the new sleep mechanics nerf:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 SpAtk
Calm Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

If freeze dry has 30% freeze, this would be quite annoying to face. But do note that using scald on a frozen pokemon will thaw it. But perfect neutral coverage outside of dry skin jynx and shedinja.
Doesn't Scald thaw out frozen Pokemon? It would be pretty useless to carry two status moves if one overrides the other.

That's actually pretty freaking true! Only Water, Fire, Ice and Steel resist Ice. If we forgo Thunderbolt for STAB Freeze Dry, we end up with Ice, Fire and Steel resists, two of which are neutrally and one super effectively by Water. That's pretty cool man.

Freeze Dry + Fighting leaves you resisted only by Fire.
Fire doesn't resist Fighting.

Not to mention if it's got a decent Freeze chance, you're looking at a respectable chance to status a target for good measure. At worst, it's the same odds as Thunderbolt only STAB boosted for killing Water types, freezing rather than merely paralyzing a target- and unlike T-bolt, it can't be blanked with Lightningrod or the like.

Seeing who gets this via breeding will be most interesting.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is a great coverage option, and better than HP since STAB is applied. This is not a gimmick move. I would love Kyurem to get this, it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Still hoping that Froslass can learn Freeze-Dry and Nasty Plot this gen... cause that's all it would need to be a terrifying sweeper and spinblocker/defog-killer. Come onnnn...

Yeah, it should be useful when you have either STAB, or you have a pokemon that learns it, but can't learn any grass or electric type moves

What if Cloyster got this? lol
If I had to choose between this and Water Shuriken to give to Cloyster for the laughs, I'd go with WS. But Freeze Dry + Razor Shell, Overcoat (due to its buff), and Focus Sash might make for a great spikes lead. Immediately threaten the opposing lead with a good deal of damage would benefit Cloyster greatly if a team needed a physically bulky offensive lead, especially since Overcoat provides Sleep Powder immunity. Just something to consider.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Huh I said Lapras has perfect coverage with Freeze Dry+Water move, not Aurorus. It's notable because Lapras has STAB on both.

While Freeze-Dry isn't as strong as Ice Beam or Blizzard, there will still be sets that will use it.

It does have surprise factor. Though there might be a case of 4 move slot syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)