Battle Mechanics Research

I believe Heal Block now completely blocks the use of healing attacks (i.e. damage dealing ones). A Klefki used Heal Block on my Pokemon, and I could not select the move Draining Kiss. If anyone else can confirm this that would be great.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Refrigerate boosted Amaura's Take Down. It went from 22-27 to 34 damage. Gonna test it a bit more.

Lv50 Amaura's Attack: 68
Lv50 Charmeleon's Defense: 78

Amaura's Take Down (90 Ice Physical) vs. Charmeleon: 22-27 damage

Damage done: 34, 30, 34, 29, 30
29-34 is the damage range. It's impossible to get it with anything other than a 30% boost, soooo it's confirmed.

Video proof: 4ZXW-WWWW-WWWX-VNLG

EDIT-- That first 34 is from a previous battle, forgot to say. The video starts at the 30.
EDIT2-- derp

Last edited:
Refrigerate boosted Amaura's Take Down. It went from 22-27 to 34 damage. Gonna test it a bit more.

Lv50 Amaura's Sp. Attack: 95
Lv50 Charmeleon's Defense: 78

Amaura's Take Down (90 Ice Physical) vs. Charmeleon: 22-27 damage
...do you mean Attack? Amaura's SpA isn't really helpful for calculating Take Down. :p
And if that is Amaura's attack, my calculation turns up 31-37 damage.
edit: did you account for STAB?
edit2: without factoring STAB I'm getting 22-25, so I'm thinking that's probably it.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

No, it should be 68 Attack. My mistake. The calcs were done correctly, I added all of Amaura's and Charmeleon's stats to Smogon Calc.

Mario With Lasers

MegaGardevoir: 124 Attack, 177 Sp. Attack
Aegislash: 171 Defense, 170 Sp. Defense, 167 HP

Moonblast (95 Fairy Special) prediction: 28-33 damage.

Damage: 31, 29.

Pixilate does nothing to moves that already are Fairy-type.

Facade (70 Pixilated Physical) prediction: 15-18 damage.

Damage: 22, 30 (CH), 20, 30 (CH), 22, 21, 21.

I don't know the *entire* damage range for this one, but I guess the boost can only be 30%? 15 x 1.3 = 19.5 and there's a 20 right there, after all.

Video proof: 3ZWG-WWWW-WWWX-VRYS

I'll let you people imagine 110 BP Flying Body Slam MegaPinsir

Last edited:
I saw ExtremeSpeed act before Follow Me in-game (the ESpeed user had more speed than the Follow Me user). Either ESpeed has had a priority increase, or Follow Me had a priority decrease.
Where was this exactly? I just played at Le Wow in-game and can confirm that Togekiss used Follow Me and then Lucario used Extreme Speed in that order. I'm assuming Lucario was faster than Togekiss which would contradict your statement. As a note, everytime this scenario has come up for me, Follow Me has ALWAYS gone before Extreme Speed

The odd thing about this is I had weird interactions with Follow Me and Protect earlier when testing Prankster (which I think I talked about in my post, or at least mentioned in passing on IRC at the time)...so maybe there's some random element we're missing here? Or it possibly could be a weird speed tie (or nature variation causing this as we are in-game)?

Last edited:

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just did a quick testing of something out of curiosity:

What happens when you change formes with Stance Change, while Guard Splitting Aegislash with Shuckle?

Lv45 Shuckle - 240 SpDef
Lv85 Aegislash - 250 SpDef (97SpDef in Blade Forme)

Lv100 Togekiss - 339 SpA

I switched to Blade Forme, then Guard Split'd Aegislash, then switched back to Shield Forme as I switched to Togekiss and used Air Slash on Aegislash.
57, 59, 62, 58, 60, 65, 61, 57, 60, 66

Expected Damage vs 240 SpD: 57-67 damage
Expected Damage vs 245 SpD: 56-66 damage

I probably could have chosen pokemon that had their defenses a bit further apart, but what I could conclude so far is that the defense Aegislash would have gained from the Guard Split while in Blade Forme did not pass to its Shield Forme. Either the game somehow recalculated the split, and it has 245 SpDef effectively, the Guard Split was neutralized, or the Guard Split would only affect the forme it was used on. So I switched back to Blade Forme, and got my answer pretty quickly.

Air Slash delt 146 Damage after switching back to Blade Forme.
Expected Damage vs 97 SpD: 141-166

Conclusion: Switching Formes via Stance Change will cancel out the effects of Guard Split or Power Split used on Aegislash before the Forme change.

I'll have to go and test with with other in-battle Forme changes, and for Mega Evolutions later.

Hey, not sure if this is the place to post this, but has anyone done any research with hidden power? I am worried that many of the perfect pokemon I have from gen5 and before are obsolete. Here are my confirmed findings:

Garchomp lvl100 with whatever IVs, I talked to the hidden power guy and he told me hidden power psychic. I plugged his IVs into an old IV calculator and the output was also hidden power psychic. Reliving to an extent but my question is:

has hidden power fairy been confirmed to exist? if so, does anyone know how it is added (what will be replaced) et cetera

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
There was a rumor that said that Clear Body blocked Defog.
I tested it and Clear Body does not prevent Defog removing hazards

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does Ion Deluge take priority over Aerilate / Pixilate / Refrigerate (i.e. the Normal attacks become Electric instead of the ability modified type)?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Where was this exactly? I just played at Le Wow in-game and can confirm that Togekiss used Follow Me and then Lucario used Extreme Speed in that order. I'm assuming Lucario was faster than Togekiss which would contradict your statement. As a note, everytime this scenario has come up for me, Follow Me has ALWAYS gone before Extreme Speed
I spam le Wow and I've seen both ES and Follow Me go first. The only explanation to this is that ES now has the same priority as Follow Me.

Was it confirm that Pixilate/ Aerialate / etc... additionally gets a damage bonus (on top of stab if applicable). I know Refrigirate is pretty much confirmed and the abilities shouldn't be different... but who knows, this is Gamefreak we're talking about...
Was gaining stab (when applicable) when the attack type changes also confirmed?

Last edited:

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Lv100 Mega Gardevoir
340 SpAtk using Round

Lv100 Pidgeot
168 SpDef

Damage range: 169-198

Pixilate seems to give a 30% boost to Normal type moves turned Fairy. This boost is on top of STAB.

Mario With Lasers

Was it confirm that Pixilate/ Aerialate / etc... additionally gets a damage bonus (on top of stab if applicable). I know Refrigirate is pretty much confirmed and the abilities shouldn't be different... but who knows, this is Gamefreak we're talking about...
Was gaining stab (when applicable) when the attack type changes also confirmed?
The only one not confirmed was Aerilate because I don't have any idea where to get Pinsirnite. And yes, of course the now-Fairy move has STAB!

Lv100 Mega Gardevoir
340 SpAtk using Round

Lv100 Pidgeot
168 SpDef

Damage range: 169-198

Pixilate seems to give a 30% boost to Normal type moves turned Fairy. This boost is on top of STAB.
With this new information, I have a question about gems. The only one we've found is the normal gem. Will that gem still activate on a normal move that has been type changed by pixilate, refrigerate, or arielate?

Well, I hope it's not a fake, but I just played against a Mega Kangaskhan and my Unaware-Quagsire on PS and my Quaggy just took this:

The foe's Kangaskhan used Drain Punch!
Quagsire lost 16.5% of its health!
Quagsire had its energy drained!

Quagsire used Toxic!
The foe's Kangaskhan was badly poisoned!

Quagsire restored HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Kangaskhan was hurt by poison!

Could it be, that Unaware ignores Mega-stat boosts? That would be AMAZING O__O

btw: Honkos dmg-calculator said that a normal Kangaskhan does
Drain Punch: 13.45 - 15.98%

against physically defensive unaware quaggy O_O

it was PO so someone on a 3DS could double check that :D

Well, I hope it's not a fake, but I just played against a Mega Kangaskhan and my Unaware-Quagsire just took this:

The foe's Kangaskhan used Drain Punch!
Quagsire lost 16.5% of its health!
Quagsire had its energy drained!

Quagsire used Toxic!
The foe's Kangaskhan was badly poisoned!

Quagsire restored HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Kangaskhan was hurt by poison!

Could it be, that Unaware ignores Mega-stat boosts? That would be AMAZING O__O

btw: Honkos dmg-calculator said that a normal Kangaskhan does

Drain Punch: 13.45 - 15.98%

against physically defensive unaware quaggy O_O
I take it this is from Pokemon Showdown?
Isn't that, like, pretty buggy & poorly-implemented at this point?

From the Japanese wiki. Could use some confirmation on these:
http://www57.atwiki.jp/pokemon6th/pages/113.html
The Japanese have done far more thorough testing, it seems. I'll post reported buffed moves only that are not coded on Showdown at the moment so that there's a master list:

Sweet Scent: -1 evasion to -2 evasion
String Shot: -1 speed to -2 speed
Chatter: 100% chance to confuse if loud enough
Crabhammer: 90bp to 100bp
Hex: 50bp to 65bp (Showdown has it at 60bp which is incorrect)
Toxic: Bypasses accuracy check and will hit through disappearing moves if used by a poison-type
Dragon Rush: Double bp if opponent has used Minimize
Steamroller: Double bp and bypasses accuracy check if opponent has used Minimize
Knock Off: 1.5x bp if it knocks off an item (mega stone exception)
Stomp: Double bp and bypasses accuracy check if opponent has used Minimize
Magic Room: -7 priority to 0 priority (has this been implemented yet?)
Incinerate: 30bp to 60bp
Wonder Room: -7 priority to 0 priority

Roar/Whirlwind should have "This move does not check accuracy" in its description.

Every other buff has been implemented. Will look at the nerf list later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)