Other Most Improved Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tyranitar is still in after 5 consecutive turns, then it's probably already sweeping the opponent's team.
Tyranitar wasn't just used for Sand Stream you know. Hell, the nerf might actually be good on some teams that don't want their other Pokemon to be buffeted constantly. Ttar will likely remain a threat because Ttar is awesome. It has STAB pursuit, decent offensive typing, huge stats and a plethora of options. Sand Stream is just icing on the cake; 5 turns of icing no less.
I've actually been considering this so far; before this Gen I loved T-Tar, and still do; back in fourth I ran a devastating Sand team (Tar, Scizor, Spiritomb, Gengar, Cradily, Forretress, if anyone can remember fourth Gen's meta so well), and as such was thoroughly sick of Sandstorm in fifth, but at that point was reluctant to be running Tar on a team that lost more than it benefited from the sand. Now, what he lost in the ability to set up a whole play style and quite badly over-centralise the weather war, he gained in splashability; he's much more useable on a variety of teams that can use his defensive presence in the sand early on, or use him late-game to clean up, without having to worry about buffeting Life-orbers and walls that don't like the residual HP loss.

Let's not forget about Granbull! Though I'm pretty sure he won't be moving up tier-wise, trading a Fighting weakness for a resistance, thus gaining many others, make him a pretty viable Physical Wall in the lowers tiers. He also gets the Fairy-Aqua Tail, which, although far from perfect, has the added effect of further lowering the opponent's Attack stat (taking Intimidate into account). I hope the Fairy Bulldog will finally find it's niche...

Aside from that, I also believe that Scolipede and Mawile are the biggest winners here. Let's not forget that the centipede is now also resistant to Fairy and can even retaliate with Super-Effective STABbed Attacks!
Actually I think Granbull may be able to jump several tiers due to this. A fighting resist than can use intimidate is pretty huge, especially one who can hit very hard back (Does it learn play rough though?). UU for instance would be very happy about this, considering the large pool of fighting types it has, and also other nasty things like scarfgon, DD kingdra, and probably dark types on the outer (except for bisharp).

Heatran and galvantula come to mind, heatran enjoys the rain nerf and the introduction of fairies as well as being an offensive mon that isn't particularly bothered by sticky web, and Galvantula--> stickyweb--> gg On the topic of new sticky webbers, smeargle might gain a new niche as a lead assuming galvantula doesn't end up outclassing it. Because of this, insomnia ariados might actually make a good anti-lead. It also beats grass types like breloom by blocking spore / sleep powder with insomnia, and can hit fairies with poison jab too!

What about Serperior? It finally gets Contrary, and although Leaf Storm, Hidden Power, and Dragon Pulse (indrectly via Fairies) all got nerfed, a 130 BP STAB attack that boosts your SpA by 2 is pretty cool.

Seperior got buffed quite a bit then nerfed hard at the same time. The return of Blaziken and the rise of Scolipede also ruin his day.

Last edited:
Got to say Scolipede. Speed boost and Baton pass? Yes please.

Got to say, my fav grass starter Serperior having access to Contrary is pretty neat too.

Isn't he going to be ubers again?
Possible, but for the moment, he is still OU. I doubt he will, however. Sun nerfs and Azumarill buffs will really make him cry, as well as the additions of Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.

What looks as the most decisive factor in most of these bump-ups is the Fairy type addition to old pokemon. The most notable benefactors of the new typing include:
  • Azumaril
  • Gardeviour
  • Mawille
  • Togekiss
Another factor is the new move Sticky Web. Arguably the best user of this Entry Hazard, Garvantula, will see a big rise in competitive play, being among the miniscule learners of the move, it will see a brighter light than it previously held.

The other smaller factor (with big results) improving pokemon is the addition of Speed Boost to Scolipede. With access to Baton Pass, Swords Dance and good offensive coverage, it will become a highly effective Baton Passer.

My "most improved pokemon" to take the cake will have to be Mawille, because of the fact that I can see it being used on many different teams as both a good offensive and defensive addition to teams. Most of the other improved pokemon swing to either offense or defense, however I can see M-Mawille being used exceptionally on both sides of the table.

I like that Unfezant has a nice boosted 115 Attack to still do nothing with.
While it's true that it gets no good Flying STAB to use (it gets Sky Attack, but I wouldn't count that as "good" per se) it's sometimes easy to forget that he's a Normal type too. You can make some pretty decent headway with Unfezant by spamming Return. I've always thought it was a fairly underrated Pokémon - it's not good or anything but it's not the worst out of the regional derp birds like many people say - surely that dubious honour is reserved for Fearow.

What about Serperior? It finally gets Contrary, and although Leaf Storm, Hidden Power, and Dragon Pulse (indrectly via Fairies) all got nerfed, a 130 BP STAB attack that boosts your SpA by 2 is pretty cool.
I'd be careful saying he "finally," got contrary - unless I'm missing something huge, he's not obtainable in X and Y, with or without Contrary, and so even come December when we can transfer up, he won't have Contrary that way. So, its just as illegal as it ever was to have Contrary Serperior on cartridge, although I'll admit that I don't know the sim's stance on that. I'm assuming that when it was down to Dream world releases, they were only available on Showdown once they were released.

EDIT: Contrary and Dragon Pulse also isn't legal, seeing as Dragon Pulse is only obtainable via Black and White 2 tutors, which, assuming it might be available in some way at some point, limits the set a lot (the closes egg move he gets is Twister).

Actually I think Granbull may be able to jump several tiers due to this. A fighting resist than can use intimidate is pretty huge, especially one who can hit very hard back (Does it learn play rough though?). UU for instance would be very happy about this, considering the large pool of fighting types it has, and also other nasty things like scarfgon, DD kingdra, and probably dark types on the outer (except for bisharp).
He does learn Play Rough at level 43 (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/210.shtml)!

Aside from that, I pretty much agree with your post! I was thinking about OU when I said he wouldn't move up, guess I'll have to correct that.

Possible, but for the moment, he is still OU. I doubt he will, however. Sun nerfs and Azumarill buffs will really make him cry, as well as the additions of Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.
And the removal of perma-rain; perma-sand and perma-hail makes him dance; as does the reduced prevalence of Dragon/Flying types due to Fairies.

As does Baton Pass being legal on him now.

As does Mega Blaziken.

Talonflame is outsped at +1 and is fragile as all hell so would probobly trade with recoil; and wouldn't even get to attack after it takes 50% from rocks. MegaPinsir is far too slow and is OHKO'ed by -insert fire move here-

There are only two things this gen that makes Blaziken weaker [Azumarill now resists both STABs and Perma-Sun is gone; despite the fact it was HJK spam mostly] and they don't outweigh the positives. [No more perma-rain; residual damage from sand and hail are lessened; fairy countering Dragons is an indirect buff] I would be amazed if he even gets tested in OU.

While it's true that it gets no good Flying STAB to use (it gets Sky Attack, but I wouldn't count that as "good" per se) it's sometimes easy to forget that he's a Normal type too. You can make some pretty decent headway with Unfezant by spamming Return. I've always thought it was a fairly underrated Pokémon - it's not good or anything but it's not the worst out of the regional derp birds like many people say - surely that dubious honour is reserved for Fearow.
Fearow isn't the 'derp bird'; Pidgeot is; especially as Fearow>Pidgeot.

And Noctowl is worse than both.

I might say Crobat.

He has the new buffed infiltrator to play with, meaning he can pick off weakened set up sweepers in lower tiers like submind chandy, he also packs a nice resistance to fairy, increasing his already decent/good defensive typing, and finally, last but most certainly not least, he holds the fastest non priority (fuck talonflame) of fastest pspinner (pseudo spinner, I'm hoping to get a ball rolling here.) thanks to the new defog, which not only greatly increases his support capabilities, but also allows dedicated voltturn teams to remove hazards without completely killing off their momentum, although at the cost of your own hazards, it could still be appreciated.

tl;dr, Crobat is gooood.

I'm gonna say Lucario.

Our beloved doge has been OU for two consecutive generations, but has bounced from "shaky" to "solid" OU countless times, back and forth. Being struck with a hurtcore 4-slot syndrome doesn't help, and the rise of Landorus-T made it way worse.
But then, it happened. Lucario mega evolved, and became the closest thing in the whole game to a perfect Pokémon, with no counters and less than 10 viable checks.

Mawile, Gardevoir, Scolipede, Togekiss, and Scizor all deserve notable mentions, though.

Talonflame is outsped at +1 and is fragile as all hell so would probobly trade with recoil
With Gale Wings, Talonflame will gain priority flying STAB over Blaziken; either a Brave Bird or Acrobatics will end Blaziken's day; Mega or otherwise.

MegaPinsir is far too slow and is OHKO'ed by -insert fire move here-
Again, with Aerialate, MegaPinsir gains a flying priority, now STAB, quick-attack over Blaziken. So, with that new collossal attack, Blaziken again is hard checked.

I personally feel that TR teams have gained absolute behemoths in the ways of Mega Ampharos, Mega Mawile and Mega Scizor too. Thus, all three have improved greatly, Scizor possibly the most simply because its CB set is still terrifying.

With Gale Wings, Talonflame will gain priority flying STAB over Blaziken; either a Brave Bird or Acrobatics will end Blaziken's day; Mega or otherwise.

Again, with Aerialate, MegaPinsir gains a flying priority, now STAB, quick-attack over Blaziken. So, with that new collossal attack, Blaziken again is hard checked.

I personally feel that TR teams have gained absolute behemoths in the ways of Mega Ampharos, Mega Mawile and Mega Scizor too. Thus, all three have improved greatly, Scizor possibly the most simply because its CB set is still terrifying.
I forgot about Gale Wings; and outright did not know about Pinsir getting Quick Attack. [Although Talonflame is still checked by simply switching out because it loses 50% from SR; plus any damage it takes from switching in otherwise]

Shuckle. It's one of the few pokemon who gets access to the amazing Spider Web and is the only pokemon with the move(aside from Smeargle) with Stealth Rocks. Coupled with Sturdy and a Custap Berry you're guaranteed to get both up bar taunt. Add on Toxic and Shucke can easily weaken the opponent if they can't get rid of Shuckle quick enough. Power Split can be used to neuter most non-mixed attackers allowing an offensive threat to come in and set up once Shuckle's dead. Alternatively it can use encore to stop anything hoping to setup on it. Shuckle is an amazing lead this Gen!

Oh I disagree. Fearow get's Drill run for steels and rocks at least. Farfetch'd is the most mediocre derp bird!

Isn't he going to be ubers again?
Personally I think it's OU(pushing possible Uber). It's taken some "balanced" nerfs since B/W but still very much a threat.

Personally I'd put:
Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan(New moves and Mega...oh my), Scoliopede(Just replaced one of my favourite Pokemons ever(Ninjask) because of this), Mawile(Mega!) and Azumarill(Aqua Jet?)

For me personally, I think Charizard is BL1 AT MOST!

I'd be careful saying he "finally," got contrary - unless I'm missing something huge, he's not obtainable in X and Y, with or without Contrary, and so even come December when we can transfer up, he won't have Contrary that way. So, its just as illegal as it ever was to have Contrary Serperior on cartridge, although I'll admit that I don't know the sim's stance on that. I'm assuming that when it was down to Dream world releases, they were only available on Showdown once they were released.

EDIT: Contrary and Dragon Pulse also isn't legal, seeing as Dragon Pulse is only obtainable via Black and White 2 tutors, which, assuming it might be available in some way at some point, limits the set a lot (the closes egg move he gets is Twister).
I thought I saw a Contrary Seviper and a claim that you can get Servines from the Friend Safari in another thread? And now that both parents can pass on moves and abilities, you should be able to breed one with Dragon Pulse once the PokeBank opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)