The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Someone please splain to me how you can hold your opponent's QB to 88 yards passing, hold their RB to 73 yds and 3 YPC, get 3 takeaways and STILL manage to lose a game. Unbelievable...

In other news, Antonio Cromartie I think is the most overrated corner in the league. Holds and/or interferes on almost every play, gets burned frequently on post routes and STILL manages to get hyped by analysts. idgi

That game was crazy. Pryor still needs to learn how to throw though. He hasn't put together a decent 2nd half yet, which is concerning.

That first snap though

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I know today it was against the Jets, but pretty scary to think how good the Bengals can be if Dalton is playing that well. Legit AFC Champion contender imo.

So the Jaguars are officially in the worst team ever competition, with a current standalone deadlock on first place - no team in the last 25 years has made it to week 9 with worse than an average losing rate of 20 ppg, and Jaguars are rocking 22.5. The only teams in that time frame to come into week 9 at worse than a losing average of 19 ppg both won week 9 too.

They are damned awful. They have a couple of talented WRs and an underperforming MJD, but that's about it. While they are terrible, they aren't 0-16 terrible imo. Plus they have a pretty soft schedule from here on out, with only one team being above .500.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
They are damned awful. They have a couple of talented WRs and an underperforming MJD, but that's about it. While they are terrible, they aren't 0-16 terrible imo. Plus they have a pretty soft schedule from here on out, with only one team being above .500.
Please define "0-16 terrible" since at this point they're statistically worse than the only actual 0-16 team ever. They are allowing more points (33.0 to 32.3) per game while scoring fewer (10.8 to 16.8). I'm not saying they 100% won't win a game, but halfway through the season they are unequivocally on pace to be the worst team ever.

I mean they seemingly have enough talent to win at least one game. They certainly had a tough schedule up to this point. As I said, that schedule softens up from here on out, and I'm sure one team will sleep on them. And certainly, if they at least give their best effort like they did in their game vs Denver, their chances increase greatly to at least be competitive. Whether that translates to a win remains to be seen, but I don't see them going winless.

Last edited:
The Jaguars absolutely are 0-16 terrible. The only 0-14 and 0-16 teams were both much better than this through 8 games, so the real standard of comparison will be how they finish down the stretch. The 0-14 Buccaneers in their first season of the Buccaneers existing were -109 points to this part of the season, where Jaguars are currently -178. The Buccaneers put up an astonishing -178 in the next 6 games though, so it will be interesting to see who truly ends up worse. The Buccaneers were also shut down an astonishing 5 times, I mean I have no idea how often teams used to be shut out but that seems likely to stack up against any bad team. The 0-16 Lions were a much better team than that season's 2-14 Rams, it was just a fluke that they went 0-16. For the start of the season they were only down 12 ppg average, so while that ballooned to 16 ppg average as they gave up all hope, it was a much stronger start than the Jaguars this year.

The teams that I know to be the worst of all time are the 1990 1-15 Patriots, the 1976 0-14 Buccaneers, and both the 2008 2-14 and 2009 1-15 Rams, and the 2008 Lions. The Rams were the worst team of all time over 2 years, it was frankly fucking incredible how bad. -233 and -261 points in back to back seasons is phenomenally horrible (the 0-16 & 2-14 Lions only tossed up -249 and -232!). Realistically the Buccaneers have the worst single season team title on lock for life, unless the Jaguars can truly keep up a losing pace of -20 ppg to the very end.

as Del Rio said, the Jags have had a brutal schedule up to this point (5 of first 8 games in a different timezone, one in London. played 5 of the strongest teams in the league), and the rest of the schedule is cake compared to it. it's just about as hard to go 0-16 as it is 16-0, EVERYTHING has to break against you. if they play the rest of the schedule like they played against Denver and they could easily finish 8-8.

do i think that's likely to happen? absolutely not. and if it did happen, we'd have to wait even longer for THE MAN (or trade away the future like Washington), and we've been waiting...well since Brunell tbqh. but i do think we'll win a couple games.

i can't speak to "WOAT" because i didn't watch any of those other teams, but once we get Joekel back next year and rest of the 2013 class progresses, added to an off season of FA signings and another solid draft (garnering either THE MAN or a game-changing pass rusher), i think they'll be infinitely more competitive in 2014.

Gruden is great whatever, but guys Terrel Thomas was named NFC defensive player of the week! TT is a CB for the giants who was going to become their #1 CB. Then he tore his ACL twice(making it three times in his career). Hes the only DB to succesfully come back from 3 ACLs. He was the giant i was rooting most for. Every time hes made a tackle i shed a tear and its incredible that hes had this much impact on a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)