Pokémon Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it wasn't illegal in GEN V (I remember using it with Dark Pulse and HP Ice and a lot of times i got some fun destroying Gliscor xD), so it shouldn't be illegal here... you just need a Tyrogue from Friend Safari, then evolve it into Hitmonchan and use a Heart Scale to make it remember Vacuum wave... And then let Riolu learn Nasty Plot at lvl 47... Even if you just use GTS, you can find a Lvl 26 Hitmonchan so you shouldn't be needing the heart scale xD
Since Lucario is in the Field egg group, he can learn any combination of egg moves. Just Scetch them onto a Smeargle ;)

I wonder how effective this set will be in the 6th gen, I used to sweep with it in gen 5.

Lucario @ Lucarionite (Or whatever the stone is called)
Jolly/Adamant Nature
252 Atk 252 Spd 4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Crunch
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed/Ice Punch (If you fear Gliscor)

Just realised this had already been posted. Here's a brief analysis of it anyway.

Now with steel being nerfed, this set's coverage is only improved. After a Swords Dance, it was easy to sweep a weakened team with Lucario so I assume it will be a breeze for his mega form. Adaptability Close Combat ensures it gets through tough walls like Skarmory and Crunch covers ghosts which are immune. Extremespeed is there to pick off revenge killers and it does a surprising amount of damage at +2 even with a lack of STAB. However, Gliscor ruins your day and kicks your dog, so look out. It's optional to swap in Ice Punch to deal with it but losing Extremespeed can really cost you. I'd rather just have some team members who can deal with Batman's Arabic cousin than cripple your only Mega Pokemon.

Boosted 90 base speed is surprisingly fast, as you can get over most bulky attackers and walls, but watch out for revenge killers. If they are frail and don't hold focus sash, Extremespeed should be able to handle them easily.

Problem #1

So I was in a battle between Adamant or Jolly Lucario. Based on Black on White tiers, these are the pokemon that outspeed adamant Lucario if they were to be fully invested in speed themselves.

Latios
Latias
Espeon
Gengar
Keldeo
Terrakion
Infernape
Garchomp
Thundurus-T
Salamence
Jirachi
Celebi
Volcarona
Tentacruel
Ninetales
Hydreigon

Not to mention Galvantula is running around as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #2

What exactly is Lucario going to kill with Bullet Punch?

Isn't it better to run Iron Tail (despite its accuracy) along with ES?

Let's look at Lucario's biggest walls:

+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 260-308 (68.24 - 80.83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 236-278 (67.04 - 78.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Sadly it doesn't learn Iron Head.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #3

Who do we team him with?

So far I've tested him with Wobbufet. Results: Great, allows for set up but doesn't counter Lucario's walls.

Oddly one of the best team mates I've tested him with was Charizard@charizardnite. I know have two megas on a team sounds bad but sometimes just having a look at the team knowing that Charizard is going to be more beneficial can make all the difference.

Thoughts?

For partners? i would say something with hazards, a poke with sticky web and things to lure out and kill counters. You will need spikes to kill bulky pokemon like Aegislash (with crunch) and mega Aggron though.
So things like Galvantula, greninja or just SR setters in general (lando-t) and maybe salamence or ofc Terrakion.

Stikcy web is huge for lucario. It ensures he outspeeds some pokes that can kil him. You take out Keldeo w/o Scarf for example. (if keldeo has scarf it wins).

I find that Choice scarf chandelure is certain to revenge mega lucario.
Here is the set i use explicitly for this purpose (and for Ferro and jelli too...~)

Lumi (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 57-68 (21.83 - 26.05%) -- possible 4HKO

So after playing around with BP/Crunch Mega Lucario a bit, I've decided to drop BP back for Extreme Speed.

The threat of a Talonflame coming up and ruining your day is too great atm, and with BP, Mega Lucario really doesn't have anything to deal with that.

With Extreme Speed, he at least has a fighting chance.

Not to mention that Bullet Punch really doesn't add that much coverage that he really needs. The only things would be like Togekiss or Aerodactyl.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is not where it is meant to be but does anyone have an Inner Focus Bullet Punch Riolu that they are willing to trade, preferably with a Jolly or Adamant nature? I'd be willing to trade either a Gale Wing Fletchling or a Protean Froakie. Please and thank you
I only have an adamant one with decent Iv's and steadfast. Breeding for a Jolly one just takes ages when you dont have a Jolly Smeargle.

It's really awesome to see people working hard to breed good Pokes, trading and acting like a community in general and whatnot, but I think the purpose of this thread is not for that, and instead to discuss Lucario and its Mega form's utility in competitive battle.

That being said, I'm not against that discussion, and I would appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong. I love to see people being friendly and whatnot in this place, nice change of place from how strict this place can be sometimes, which by the way is not necessarily a bad thing by any means.

In order to remain on topic however, I have been wondering which nature seems to provide the most consistent advantages for Mega Lucario right now. Jolly does outspeed quite a few threats, but is the extra power of Adamant worth the loss in speed? Usually the answer would be no, but Lucario is sitting on priority moves, and running Jolly would be quite the change from Lucario's playstyle from back in gen 4\5, which is the one I'm used to it.

It has been discussed a bit before and we are still convinced that Jolly is the way to go. By evolving it breaks some important speed tiers, Latias and the horses. Bullet Punch is still powerful enough to pick on Mega-Gengar after SR. The main problem, though, is that BP is kinda shaky on Breloom if you do not manage to have at least one layer of spikes on your opponent's field. Not that we worry about that considering the nerfs Breloom received this generation like the sleep counter and Low Sweep.

There are a few key differences:

DD-Nite

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 298-351 (91.97 - 108.33%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 272-320 (83.95 - 98.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Done with the updates 110 Close Combat; the Adamant one goes half-way through Multiscale but we wouldn't recommend to sweep without SR anyways.

DD-Mence

+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 257-303 (77.64 - 91.54%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 234-276 (70.69 - 83.38%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Scarf-Mence

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 250-296 (75.52 - 89.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 228-270 (68.88 - 81.57%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those against the ability to outrun Lati@s (especially Latias) and to Crunch them. And Keldeo, now that you do not have LO-Extremespeed anymore.

Last edited:
Honestly I just started using earthquake until the whole Aegislash fetish people have wears off. Unlike crunch it can't just Kings Shield you, and you can actually OHKO which crunch fails 50% or more to do if you aren't adamant. Lets be honestly Jellicent is nowhere to be seen right now and resisted adaptability CC is 120 BP still vs Crunch's 160BP on SE. CC will KO stuff like Latios at +2 while bullet punch kills gengar at +2.

It should be either EQ or Ice punch you run right now.

Lets be serious you should never use Lucario without SR support unless you like losing it to sashed pokes.

Honestly I just started using earthquake until the whole Aegislash fetish people have wears off. Unlike crunch it can't just Kings Shield you, and you can actually OHKO which crunch fails 50% or more to do if you aren't adamant. Lets be honestly Jellicent is nowhere to be seen right now and resisted adaptability CC is 120 BP still vs Crunch's 160BP on SE. CC will KO stuff like Latios at +2 while bullet punch kills gengar at +2.

It should be either EQ or Ice punch you run right now.

Lets be serious you should never use Lucario without SR support unless you like losing it to sashed pokes.
Finally, someone agrees with me.
It has been discussed a bit before and we are still convinced that Jolly is the way to go. By evolving it breaks some important speed tiers, Latias and the horses. Bullet Punch is still powerful enough to pick on Mega-Gengar after SR. The main problem, though, is that BP is kinda shaky on Breloom if you do not manage to have at least one layer of spikes on your opponent's field. Not that we worry about that considering the nerfs Breloom received this generation like the sleep counter and Low Sweep.

There are a few key differences:

DD-Nite

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 298-351 (91.97 - 108.33%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 272-320 (83.95 - 98.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Done with the updates 110 Close Combat; the Adamant one goes half-way through Multiscale but we wouldn't recommend to sweep without SR anyways.

DD-Mence

+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 257-303 (77.64 - 91.54%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 234-276 (70.69 - 83.38%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Scarf-Mence

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 250-296 (75.52 - 89.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 228-270 (68.88 - 81.57%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those against the ability to outrun Lati@s (especially Latias) and to Crunch them. And Keldeo, now that you do not have LO-Extremespeed anymore.
I don't believe you included Multiscale
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 163-192 (50.3 - 59.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Anyways,

What teams have you all been testing lucario on?

It's really awesome to see people working hard to breed good Pokes, trading and acting like a community in general and whatnot, but I think the purpose of this thread is not for that, and instead to discuss Lucario and its Mega form's utility in competitive battle.

That being said, I'm not against that discussion, and I would appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong. I love to see people being friendly and whatnot in this place, nice change of place from how strict this place can be sometimes, which by the way is not necessarily a bad thing by any means.

In order to remain on topic however, I have been wondering which nature seems to provide the most consistent advantages for Mega Lucario right now. Jolly does outspeed quite a few threats, but is the extra power of Adamant worth the loss in speed? Usually the answer would be no, but Lucario is sitting on priority moves, and running Jolly would be quite the change from Lucario's playstyle from back in gen 4\5, which is the one I'm used to it.
Hey there, I stated earlier in my post its better to run Jolly. Because you end up outspeeding:

Latios
Latias
Espeon
Gengar
Keldeo
Terrakion
Infernape
Garchomp
Thundurus-T
Salamence
Jirachi
Celebi
Volcarona
Tentacruel
Ninetales
Hydreigon

Lucario wants to setup on something that cannot hurt it properly. In BW(2) it was fairly easy to bring it in Ferrothorn or choice-locked Tyranitar. We never though Lucario really needs that much support apart from hazards and a Pursuit trapper to remove Jellicent.
I made my living with my gen 5 Lucario setting up on CB Terrakion locked into Stone Edge. I'd even sac my multi-scale D-Nite straight up just to get him in there for a Swords Dance. There were specific counters to each set (and very few, for that matter). I ran bullet punch more often than not.
How well does Azumarill take a boosted Extremespeed, I wonder? It's going to resist all of Lucario's other moves, so if it can take a +2 Extremespeed, we could add it to that short list of threats, imo.

Hey there, I stated earlier in my post its better to run Jolly. Because you end up outspeeding:

Latios
Latias
Espeon
Gengar
Keldeo
Terrakion
Infernape
Garchomp
Thundurus-T
Salamence
Jirachi
Celebi
Volcarona
Tentacruel
Ninetales
Hydreigon
Oh, I noticed that, but I would like some other opinions in the matter. Quite a few Pokemon in that list can be KOed with the appropriate priority move, for example, so it makes me wonder whether I should truly run Jolly, or let Adamant BP\ES take care of the faster threats it can and team support deal with the rest. I appreciate the list nevertheless however, as it does list a few important threats that should be taken into consideration when picking the nature, like Garchomp.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
What if you had sticky web support
im pretty tired of this "Sticky web support" non sense, not only are half of the pokemon on that list immune to sticky web, but running galvantula, smeargle, or shuckle is practically a waste of a teamslot, and in the face o a competent player with a good defog user, sticky web isnt staying up for long. Of all the matches ive played not a single time hve I been swept by a sticky web supported slower sweeper, Zapdos, gliscor, latias, etc have zero trouble finding room to defog, and some of the best scarfers arent even grounded. Sticky web just isnt good with its distribution, sry.

Last edited:
BuddhaSmite

Let's look at MegaLucario's Extremespeed based on Jolly Lucario

TalonFlame

252 Atk Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 126-149 (42.28 - 50%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Latios
+2 252 Atk Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 229-270 (76.07 - 89.7%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Keldeo
+2 252 Atk Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 208-245 (64.39 - 75.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Alakazam
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 356-420 (141.26 - 166.66%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Volcarona
252 Atk Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 136-160 (43.72 - 51.44%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I will be testing is

Lucario@Lucarionite

SD
CC
Extremespeed
Iron Tail

Here are some calcs:

Gliscor:
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 294-346 (83.52 - 98.29%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Landorus:
+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 326-384 (85.56 - 100.78%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Roc

SpD Jelliecent:
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 303-357 (75 - 88.36%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The risk? 75% accuracy. The benefit? you only need to use it to break the walls.

Suggested Partners?

Wobbufet to counter the Fighting weakness

Dragonite to counter fire and Gengar (Realistically it cant but im not aware of many mons that even can)

EDIT:

Here you guys go

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-pokebankoubeta-59041884

Last edited:
Ya'll are using lucario wrong.
Lucario gets nasty plot now to increase spattack.
Every single pokemon in OU NOT listed on here gets OHKO by special lucario after one boost, the stats are here. Some pokemon like celebi, latias/latios, bronzorg are taken care of by dark pulse so they have been removed from the list. But mega lucario is best as a special as physical walls like skarmory, land-t...etc are wiped out. Land-t cannot reduce lucario's attack either and burns no longer matter.
Quick example of special luke: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-59158969
(switched out on aggron because of study otherwise full team sweep)

+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 34.45 - 40.67%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos: 42.29 - 49.86%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 44.81 - 52.84%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 47.4 - 55.95%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 48.76 - 57.57%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gyarados: 52.16 - 61.57%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 53.36 - 63.07%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 56.41 - 66.66%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 56.65 - 66.87%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 56.79 - 66.97%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 56.96 - 67.18%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 58.64 - 69.12%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Meloetta: 61.88 - 73.26%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 62.53 - 73.71%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 63.46 - 74.92%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 63.66 - 75.24%
+2 252 SpA Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 64.85 - 76.73%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cresselia: 65.91 - 77.65%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 66.27 - 78.29%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite: 68.91 - 81.34%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 72.72 - 85.56%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Amoonguss: 72.68 - 85.64%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Venusaur: 73.62 - 86.81%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 74.14 - 87.22%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 74.23 - 87.73%
252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 74.61 - 87.81%
+2 252 SpA Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Slowking: 74.61 - 87.81%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 74.75 - 88.11%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-T: 75.22 - 88.82%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 75.56 - 89.2%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 28 HP / 248 SpD Wobbuffet: 77.27 - 90.9%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mr. Mime: 82.39 - 97.18%
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus-T: 83.27 - 98.32%

Umm what exactly are you OHKOing? All those pokemon are 2HKO and can OHKO a Lucario.

Not to mention you don't have priority so TalonFlame and Breloom end the sweep

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Lucario does actually have Vacuum Wave, but it is less notable as it provides redundant coverage with Aura Sphere; it doesn't hit Ghosts and is resisted by Fairies, while Bullet Punch offers both qualities or has Extreemespeed to hit speedy Steel-resists like Greninja and most notably Talonflame.

Lucario does actually have Vacuum Wave, but it is less notable as it provides redundant coverage with Aura Sphere; it doesn't hit Ghosts and is resisted by Fairies, while Bullet Punch offers both qualities or has Extreemespeed to hit speedy Steel-resists like Greninja and most notably Talonflame.
I know it does but sad to say it really doesn't do much, even after SR.

I personally Prefer Iron Tail. Let's look at some calcs.

+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 326-384 (85.56 - 100.78%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 303-357 (75 - 88.36%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 294-346 (83.52 - 98.29%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Three of Lucario's WORST Counters, fearing OHKO's.

I know it does but sad to say it really doesn't do much, even after SR.

I personally Prefer Iron Tail. Let's look at some calcs.

+1 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 326-384 (85.56 - 100.78%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth

Three of Lucario's WORST Counters, fearing OHKO's.
And Aegislash? If luke runs iron tail it gets walled by aegislash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)