Battle Mechanics Research

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Looks like Ghost-types are immune to Bide again. A wild Miltank used Bide on my Braixen, who hit it with Psybeam. I switched in Golett while it stored energy. It then unleashed energy... "It doesn't affect Golett..."

I guess this has not been posted before? But if it is, this is confirmation.

Ghost-types were not immune to Bide in Gen V.

EDIT: Checked a couple more times against a wild Miltank with Golett out, using Magnitude when Miltank is storing energy, dealing damage, same result with Golett taking no damage. This is confirmed I guess? Ghost-types no longer take damage from Bide.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
How does assault vest work with pokemon that have oblivious or aroma veil? Will they have the taunt effect on them?
Asking about aroma veil since it apparently work for aromatisse as well.
Tested with an Oblivious Piloswine. Tried to use Mist. "The effects of the Assault Vest prevent status moves from being used!"

Assault Vest will prevent Pokémon with Oblivious from using Status Moves.

IDK about Aroma Veil since I lack an Aroma Veil Pokémon.

So, I know EVERYONE'S been talking about Toxic... I just ran through all 30 pages, and the only thing I've found is the usual "Toxic's accuracy is perfect if you're poison" and all that. However, I was in the Battle Institute and found one more interesting quirk regarding Toxic (and I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in BW).

I was using my Gliscor (what's up, Its_A_Random?) who had the usual set; Toxic, Substitute, Protect, Earthquake, all with the Poison Heal ability. I was battling some flying type (I don't remember who it was, I believe it was a Mandibuzz), and it was spamming Roost. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. Toxic keeps building up more and more damage and eventually it'll take out your whole health bar, regardless of how much you heal.

But that didn't happen. Whenever Mandibuzz used Roost, Toxic would do the same damage it did last turn. That is, Mandibuzz tried to use an attack, Toxic did 1/16th damage. It used another attack, it took 1/8th damage. It used Roost, and it took 1/8th damage at the end of the turn again. My only hope was to continually stall, since it would only double damage on the turns it didn't use Roost. I'm certain my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, because this stall lasted a long time. (And since I was faster, I couldn't EQ on turns when it used Roost.)

I started to get worried that Toxic had been completely nerfed (that it wouldn't double if the Pokémon had ANY recovery), so I tried it against everything. Pokémon holding Leftovers do not get this luxury. They can survive a little longer, sure, but Toxic still increases exponentially.
The fun part came when I was battling a grass type with Giga Drain and Ingrain. Even with both of those, neither of them stopped Toxic from doubling up its damage each turn, so I was able to outstall it.

It seems this only happens with dedicated recovery moves (Roost, and I'm assuming Recover, Slack Off, and the lesser used Synthesis, Moonlight and Morning Sun). Unfortunately, since this happened at the Battle Institute, I couldn't save a Battle Video, so if anyone can do some testing, that'd be great. (Maybe I am just crazy!)

Last edited:
Has anyone checked if the weather rocks work with the weather inducing abilities? Does it extend the number of turns the weather is out? This could be metagame defining.

Has anyone checked if the weather rocks work with the weather inducing abilities? Does it extend the number of turns the weather is out? This could be metagame defining.
Yes, the Heat, Damp, Smooth and Icy Rocks are all compatible with Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning, and they will boost accordingly.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can (probably for a second time) confirm that holding a weather rock extends auto-weather to eight turns. I sent my Snover holding an Icy Rock into a wild battle and used Mist eight times before the hail stopped.

EDIT: the Hail animation on the battle screen sucks. Just saying~

Tested with an Oblivious Piloswine. Tried to use Mist. "The effects of the Assault Vest prevent status moves from being used!"
IDK about Aroma Veil since I lack an Aroma Veil Pokémon.[/quote]
Aroma Veil -- Protects allies from attacks that effect their mental state.
Assault Vest isn't an attack so it shouldn't work I guess

IDK about Aroma Veil since I lack an Aroma Veil Pokémon.
I would assume the same holds true for flinging a Mental Herb at them. I'm pretty sure the Assault Vest isn't actually inflicting a 'condition' in the same way Taunt or Torment do, but it's simply an intrinsic property of the item, the same way a Pokémon with Poison Heal can't use the Black Sludge, even though they're similar in concept.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Manitary & Linneus: That was kinda my perception that it would not stop it, but I tested it anyway, just to disprove the rumour.

Also Linneus, I think that Toxic thing must have been a glitch or an oversight, because I tested it at Restaurant Le Nah with Ariados & Yveltal, & got this result (Yveltal had 324 HP):

Yveltal gets Toxic Poisoned by Ariados, took 20 DMG due to Toxic.
Yveltal took 40 DMG the next round due to Toxic.
Yveltal Roosts, took 60 Damage at the end of the round due to Toxic.
Yveltal Roosts again, took 80 Damage at the end of the round due to Toxic.

It looks like your eyes played tricks on you, because the mechanics appear to be the same as before.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You cannot Trick\Bestow an Assault Vest onto a Pokémon and stop it from using a status move that turn. Only the turn after will it not be able to select status moves.

Tested by having Klutz Audino use Entrainment on Bestow Chansey.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm at work and don't have access to my game - could someone test and find out if Defog still removes hazards when the target has a Substitute up?

Sorry if it's already been brought up.

Yveltal gets Toxic Poisoned by Ariados, took 20 DMG due to Toxic.
Yveltal took 40 DMG the next round due to Toxic.
Yveltal Roosts, took 60 Damage at the end of the round due to Toxic.
Yveltal Roosts again, took 80 Damage at the end of the round due to Toxic.
Wait, shouldn't it have been 20, 40, 80, 160?

Toxic damage doesn't doubles, it goes like 1/16th, 2/16th, 3/16th, etc. of HP (but 324/4 is 81 instead of 80...am I missing something?)

Toxic damage doesn't doubles, it goes like 1/16th, 2/16th, 3/16th, etc. of HP (but 324/4 is 81 instead of 80...am I missing something?)
He just rounded. I didn't actually know that, I could've sworn it was always just exponential. That would probably explain why Roost was so good at increasing survivability.

On another note, has anyone used Sheer Force + Life Orb?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Toxic damage has always been max HP/16 rounded down (minimum 1), then multiplied by the number of turns (so floor(324/16) * 4 = 80). Also it caps at 15 turns, so if you're always at full health and have over 15 max HP, Toxic will never KO you.

So, I know EVERYONE'S been talking about Toxic... I just ran through all 30 pages, and the only thing I've found is the usual "Toxic's accuracy is perfect if you're poison" and all that. However, I was in the Battle Institute and found one more interesting quirk regarding Toxic (and I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in BW).

I was using my Gliscor (what's up, Its_A_Random?) who had the usual set; Toxic, Substitute, Protect, Earthquake, all with the Poison Heal ability. I was battling some flying type (I don't remember who it was, I believe it was a Mandibuzz), and it was spamming Roost. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. Toxic keeps building up more and more damage and eventually it'll take out your whole health bar, regardless of how much you heal.

But that didn't happen. Whenever Mandibuzz used Roost, Toxic would do the same damage it did last turn. That is, Mandibuzz tried to use an attack, Toxic did 1/16th damage. It used another attack, it took 1/8th damage. It used Roost, and it took 1/8th damage at the end of the turn again. My only hope was to continually stall, since it would only double damage on the turns it didn't use Roost. I'm certain my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, because this stall lasted a long time. (And since I was faster, I couldn't EQ on turns when it used Roost.)

I started to get worried that Toxic had been completely nerfed (that it wouldn't double if the Pokémon had ANY recovery), so I tried it against everything. Pokémon holding Leftovers do not get this luxury. They can survive a little longer, sure, but Toxic still increases exponentially.
The fun part came when I was battling a grass type with Giga Drain and Ingrain. Even with both of those, neither of them stopped Toxic from doubling up its damage each turn, so I was able to outstall it.

It seems this only happens with dedicated recovery moves (Roost, and I'm assuming Recover, Slack Off, and the lesser used Synthesis, Moonlight and Morning Sun). Unfortunately, since this happened at the Battle Institute, I couldn't save a Battle Video, so if anyone can do some testing, that'd be great. (Maybe I am just crazy!)
It sounds to me like this might be another new property of Overcoat

So, I went through that Japanese site that listed all of the nerfs/buffs of moves/abilities this gen, and here's what I got:

Acid Armor = 40 PP -> 20 PP
Air Cutter = 55 power -> 60 power
Air Slash = 20 PP -> 15 PP
Assurance = 50 power -> 60 power
Aura Sphere = 90 power -> 80 power
Barrier = 30 PP -> 20 PP
Blizzard = 120 power -> 110 power
Bubble = 20 power -> 40 power
Charm = Normal-type -> Fairy-type
Chatter = 60 power with a 30% confusion chance at maximum volume of a recording -> 65 power with a 100% confusion chance
Covet = 40 PP -> 25 PP
Crabhammer = 90 power -> 100 power
Draco Meteor = 140 power -> 130 power
Dragon Pulse = 90 power -> 85 power
Dragon Rush = No power/accuracy increase -> Power doubles and never misses if the opponent has used Minimize
Energy Ball = 80 power -> 90 power
Extrasensory = 30 PP -> 20 PP
Fire Blast = 120 power -> 110 power
Fire Pledge = 50 power -> 80 power
Flamethrower = 95 power -> 90 power
Follow Me = +3 priority -> +2 priority
Frost Breath = 40 power -> 60 power
Fury Cutter = 20 power -> 40 power
Future Sight = 100 power -> 120 power
Glare = 90 accuracy -> 100 accuracy
Grass Pledge = 50 power -> 80 power
Gunk Shot = 70 accuracy -> 80 accuracy
Heat Power = 100 power -> 95 power
Hex = 50 power -> 65 power
Hidden Power = Power changes depending on a formula -> Fixed at 60 power
Hurricane = 120 power -> 110 power
Hydro Pump = 120 power -> 110 power
Ice Beam = 95 power -> 90 power
Incinerate = 30 power -> 60 power
Knock Off = 20 power with no power increase -> 65 power with 1.5x if the opponent has a hold item
Leaf Storm = 140 power -> 130 power
Lick = 20 power -> 30 power
Low Sweep = 60 power -> 65 power
Magic Room = -7 priority -> 0 priority
Meteor Mash = 100 power and 85 accuracy -> 90 power and 90 accuracy
Minimize = 20 PP and take double damage from Stomp and Steamroller -> 10 PP and take double damage from Stomp, Dragon Rush, Steamroller, Flying Press, and Phantom Force
Moonlight = Normal-type -> Fairy-type
Mud Sport = Lasts until you switch out -> Lasts five turns
Muddy Water = 95 power -> 90 power
Nature Power = Turns into Earthquake in multiplayer -> Turns into Tri-Attack in multiplayer, but if Misty Terrain is active, turns into Moonblast, if Grassy Terrain is active, turns into Energy Ball, and if Electric Terrain is active, turns into Thunderbolt.
Overheat = 140 power -> 130 power
Pin Missile = 14 power and 85 accuracy -> 25 power and 95 accuracy
Poison Gas = 80 accuracy -> 90 accuracy
Power Gem = 70 power -> 80 power
Rage Powder = +3 priority -> +2 priority
Roar = 100 accuracy -> never misses
Rock Tomb = 50 power and 80 accuracy -> 60 power and 95 accuracy
Secret Power = 30% chance of paralysis in multiplayer -> 30% chance of paralysis in multiplayer, but if Misty Terrain is active, 30% chance of lowering Special Attack 1 stage instead, if Grassy Terrain is active, 30% chance of sleep instead, and if Electric Terrain is active, 30% chance of paralysis.
Skull Bash = 100 power and 15 PP -> 130 power and 10 PP
SmellingSalt = 60 power -> 70 power
Smog = 20 power -> 30 power
Snore = 40 power -> 50 power
Steamroller = Power doubles if the opponent has used Minimize -> Power doubles and never misses if the opponent has used Minimize
Stomp = Power doubles if the opponent has used Minimize -> Power doubles and never misses if the opponent has used Minimize
Storm Throw = 40 power -> 60 power
String Shot = Lowers speed 1 stage -> Lowers speed 2 stages
Struggle Bug = 30 power -> 50 power
Surf = 95 power -> 90 power
Sweet Kiss = Normal-type -> Fairy-type
Sweet Scent = Lowers evasion 1 stage -> Lowers evasion 2 stages
Swords Dance = 30 PP -> 20 PP
Synchronoise = 70 power and 15 PP -> 120 power and 10 PP
Thief = 40 power -> 60 power
Thunder = 120 power -> 110 power
Thunderbolt = 95 power -> 90 power
Toxic = 90 accuracy -> 90 accuracy, except when used by a Poison-type, in which case, never misses, even when the opponent is using Dig, Fly, etc.
Vine Whip = 35 power and 15 PP -> 45 power and 25 PP
Wake-Up Slap = 60 power -> 70 power
Water Pledge = 50 power -> 80 power
Water Sport = Lasts until you switch out -> Lasts five turns
Whirlwind = 100 accuracy -> never misses
Will-O-Wisp = 75 accuracy -> 85 accuracy
Wonder Room = -7 priority -> 0 priority

Sound Moves = Ignore Substitute
Powder Moves = Doesn't affect Grass-types or Pokémon with Overcoat as an ability (Spore, Powder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Cotton Spore, Poison Powder)
Paralyzing Moves = Doesn't affect Electric-types

Drizzle = Now lasts five turns, rather than the whole battle
Drought = Now lasts five turns, rather than the whole battle
Frisk = In a Double Battle, now identifies both of the opponents's held items, rather than just one
Infiltrator = Now ignores Substitute
Oblivious = Now makes the Pokémon immune to the move Taunt
Overcoat = Now makes you immune to Powder Moves
Keen Eye = Now ignores the opponent's evasion boosts
Sand Stream = Now lasts five turns, rather than the whole battle
Sniper = As critical hits now do 1.5x instead of 2x, Sniper makes critical hits do 2.25x, rather than 3x
Snow Warning = Now lasts five turns, rather than the whole battle

Last edited:
I don't who was the one who said it, but I used Phantom Force with my Trevenant, and the opponent missed his Shadow Claw against me when I disappeared.

Chatter = 60 power with a 30% confusion chance at maximum volume of a recording -> 65 power with a 100% confusion chance at maximum volume of a recording
You can't record Chatter anymore. Or at least, not that I can tell. I'm pretty sure (from experience and the in-game description) that it is straight up 100% chance of confusing anyone it hits.

e: By extension, Chatot can now be used over wi-fi

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As I have mentioned in a post in the Battle Frontier Records topic, and in a few other places...

A lot of movesets in the Battle Maison are identical to Battle Subway sets for older Pokemon, but one thing that has changed is that ALL instances of Gems on movesets to my knowledge have been changed to different held items. It seems like a bit of a strange thing to do if Gems still existed, since they had no issue with giving Pokemon Custap Berries long, long, long before they were obtainable for us in 5th gen (and 6th gen).

It isn't anything that 100% proves that Gems no longer exist, but it does point heavily towards that direction.

As I have mentioned in a post in the Battle Frontier Records topic, and in a few other places...

A lot of movesets in the Battle Maison are identical to Battle Subway sets for older Pokemon, but one thing that has changed is that ALL instances of Gems on movesets to my knowledge have been changed to different held items. It seems like a bit of a strange thing to do if Gems still existed, since they had no issue with giving Pokemon Custap Berries long, long, long before they were obtainable for us in 5th gen (and 6th gen).
Speaking of Battle Maison movesets...
My Ditto just snagged this from a Clawitzer. Pardon me if it's already been discussed, but have we found that Mega Launcher works with Heal Pulse, too?
(And why the hell does this thing have Heal Pulse in Super Singles? Must have been copy+pasted directly from doubles, unless there's something I don't know. Like maybe Mega Launcher turns it into a damaging move. But that would probably be a little TOO good.)

EDIT: Ok, so I just went ahead and used it on him (it's not like I had a streak going) and it pretty much healed all of his health. Seems like it bumps Heal Pulse up from 50% HP to 75%.

Attachments

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I don't who was the one who said it, but I used Phantom Force with my Trevenant, and the opponent missed his Shadow Claw against me when I disappeared.
This was me- I completely disregarded that No Guard would pierce through Phantom Force, and Shadow Claw hitting through it made a ton of sense imo so I never even considered it. My bad.

No idea where to post this so I apologize if it's the wrong thread, but the Move thread seems to be in-game descriptions only...

Draining Kiss is a contact move. I had my Vivillon use Draining Kiss on a wild Whirlipede to weaken it, and its Poison Point ability activated and poisoned me. Serebii has it listed as no contact, so he's wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)