Exchange at UCLA / Housing in LA/ Where to go on West Coast

So I got accepted for exchange at UCLA for Winter and Spring Quarters 2014. It seems as if I probably will not be able to get housing on campus and will probably have to look at off campus housing. I am a bit concerned because I know LA isn't the most safe city ( so I wouldn't want to be located far away) and since I have never really been overseas (except New Zealand 10 years ago) or traveled alone before.

I am just wondering if anyone here has been to UCLA or has experience in getting housing in LA before. If you could help it would be really appreciated!

Also where are places on the West Coast I should visit. I know the main attractions like Disneyland, Las Vegas, Hollywood and Grand Canyon etc but are there also lesser known places that are also wonderful?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."

Crash is a must see movie before you go to LA imo...

UCLA is in West LA, this is important because LA is huge. Most cities in the western US are sprawling rather than built up with a lot of Skyscrapers. Downtown LA has skyscrapers, but Downtown is barely any of LA at all. I would estimate it takes about 35 minutes to get from UCLA to downtown LA in typical traffic and it takes forever to get anywhere in LA in general as traffic never ceases. Housing near UCLA itself (westwood and brentwood) tends to be very expensive, researchers, doctors, and faculty tend to occupy large houses in these suburbs. Your best bet is probably West Hollywood off of Santa Monica Boulevard or Melrose (30ish minutes from campus by car including the time it will take to find parking, 50 mins by bus, 40 minutes by bike and these are unavoidable standard commute times for getting from point A to B in LA, also no one bikes in LA so you'll be the only one :/). LA is actually pretty safe near UCLA.

I really recommend just getting University housing, as finding housing is hard when you don't already live in the vicinity (landlords wont take you seriously or theyll think youre a scammer on craigslist etc). Check out UCLA's facebook page, they probably have a housing group where other students will be looking for roommates should you choose not to live on campus. As I said above, look for places off of Santa Monica Boulevard and Melrose, check out Culver City too.

to be really clear: there is no convenient or fast or cheap, public transportation in LA so I would bite the bullet and take university housing.

There are a lot of cool places to go in LA I will keep these reasonably close to UCLA:

The Museum of Jurassic Technology, a museum for middle ages' and early modern period 'science'.

Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Nuart Theatre, if youve never seen rocky horror. be careful about hitting on people here as a lot of people cross dress for the show.

The Japanese American National Museum- Located across the street from Little Tokyo, this is a good place to take a date, though the museum is a little sad.

The Staples Center: Go see the Lakers/Clippers or the Kings.

Griffith Observatory- Tons of hiking nearby, on a scale from 1 to Beautiful it's a 'pretty' area, but that's as close as LA gets to beautiful for the most part.

Disney Hall- Has amazing acoustics and the LA philharmonic is top quality, so if you (or your date, as this place makes for a very good date) like classical music or just like concerts in general check this out.

Amoeba Records- The place for hipsters qua hipsters, it is worth going to once if you don't care about vinyl, if you do care about vinyl you'll be here all the time.

Avoid these places as much as possible and this may include avoiding driving nearby them too as many of these offer the worst traffic:

Universal Studios and the associated "City Walk"- expensive, crowded, everyone walks slowly as fuck, food isn't that good, youll probably get dragged here anyway. worst traffic in the city

Walk of Fame: this area and everything nearby is a waste of time, there are better, if not cheaper, places in Hollywood as you'll quickly discover.

LA Live/Nokia Plaza- Avoid just because of how bad the traffic is, but you will have to traverse it if you want to make it to the Staples Center. Overpriced.

Dodger Stadium- avoid driving near it when there is a game going on (i dont think youll have to worry about this in the winter/spring tho), also Baseball sucks and will suck even more as a foreigner, though you can be that one foreign dude making fun of the rules and swearing at the fat american players, I have been amused by this in the past.

Things to do on the west coast:

San Diego is about 2.5 hours from LA, if you have a 3 day weekend, find a friend with a car and spend a day at the beaches in La Jolla before you head for the border, as Mexico is the closest place you'll be able to drink if you arent 21.

Mammoth- Spring skiing in Mammoth is pretty good, way better than the local LA skiing ever gets. Do it on Superbowl weekend (February) when crowds will be minimal.

Santa Barbara- on the way from LA to Santa Barbara are many lovely state beaches, you might as well see Mission Santa Barbara too.

The Bay Area- 5-7 hours from LA, so it may be cheaper to fly than to pay for gas. Could dedicate another post to all the shit you can do here.

Not as familiar with outside of CA, but Oregon and Washington are very beautiful and they are much cheaper too.

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i can confirm that amoeba records is the shit

it's not really "west coast" per se, but craters of the moon in central idaho is pretty awesome if you have the time to drive up there and check it out. especially if you're into hiking trails. gorgeous landscape in the area as well. in cali specifically i'd recommend heading up to san fran and chilling by the bay. you'll meet a lot of really swell fellas :)

some cities to make a point of visiting:

- seattle
- san fran
- vegas
- phoenix
- portland
- salt lake
- boise

in order of necessity

Thanks a lot for the replies, I shall definitely try to check out the places mentioned if I have time. Also planning on going to the Bay Area a couple of weeks before my Semester starts.

Might watch Crash too ( Never heard of it before).

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Eat at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Do it.

There's tons of good food all around LA of pretty much any kind. Asking locals for good stuff nearby is always good; I'm not from the UCLA area but I'm sure that there's good food near there.

You also are going to want to have access to a car to go to places in LA. It's really spread out and the public transportation isn't that good.

You're really close to the beach and the mountains are definitely reachable from UCLA. Take advantage of that.

Griffith Park is pretty cool. I like Chinatown. The Getty's pretty nice if you like art. Myzozoa listed a bunch of places that are cool too.

Do you have any particular interests? LA's going to have people interested in the same sort of stuff just due to how many people there are and you can find places to meet those people.

Chicken AND Waffles? that's a weird combination. Thanks for the other recommendations too. Don't have any particular interests outside sport.

I just found out to get on campus accommodation I have to rely on a random lottery so I guess I have to be lucky.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Might be a bit late on this, and I haven't posted in a while. I'm at UCLA right now! and there's a ton of University Apartments just off-campus, they aren't that far away and are not that expensive (compared to stuff far away). The Off-campus University Housing might be your best bet. Or else, you could try apartment complexes on Tiverton Avenue or in the Westwood Village (the area right off campus).

Also, Santa Monica + Venice Beach is a MUST!

Might be a bit late on this, and I haven't posted in a while. I'm at UCLA right now! and there's a ton of University Apartments just off-campus, they aren't that far away and are not that expensive (compared to stuff far away). The Off-campus University Housing might be your best bet. Or else, you could try apartment complexes on Tiverton Avenue or in the Westwood Village (the area right off campus).

Also, Santa Monica + Venice Beach is a MUST!
Cool, what do you study Badal? Also I managed to get on campus accommodation at in a Saxon Suite Triple, do you know much about those rooms?

My travel plans at the moment are
29 November-6 December Vancouver/Whistler
7-10 Seattle
11-13 Portland
14-20 San Francisco 21 December-4 Jan http://www.gadventures.com/trips/national-parks-and-bright-lights/NUNP/2014/

Does anyone have suggestions for Vancouver/Seattle/Portland/San Fran?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm also at UCLA!

I've heard Saxon is pretty nice, if not a little antisocial, but I guess that's more of a first-year problem.

If you haven't checked it out at the virtual housing tour yet, that's here!

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cool, what do you study Badal? Also I managed to get on campus accommodation at in a Saxon Suite Triple, do you know much about those rooms?
I'm majoring in Neuroscience. As aforementioned, Saxon will be antisocial in comparison to other residence halls, but it's not like most other dorms have parties all the time either. The thing with Saxon is, it's 5 minutes of extra walking to get there from your classes. It is slightly secluded, so if you appreciate the quiet, you'll like it. In my opinion, the Saxon suites are pretty nice from the outside, they look a lot cozier than most residence halls. I have never been inside one of their rooms so I can't tell you about that. Triples are usually fairly cramped, but it is manageable. PM me when you get here or something, I'd be down to show you around if you'd like. If you aren't already, you should be incredibly excited about the food here. It is absolutely delicious.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was about to give advice for Vancouver and Seattle but guess it's a little late now! What did you see?

Vancouver was really cool, really enjoyed my time there. I managed to do a fair bit and go to Stanley Park, Aquarium, Gastown, Chinatown, Granville Island, UBC, MoA, Maritime Museum, Vancouver Museum, Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon, Queen Elizabeth Park, Van Dusen Gardens and Canucks vs Coyotes. Unfortunately Vancouver gave me a cold.

Seattle is alright there seem to be good and bad parts of the city. I really enjoyed the Museum of Flight, Space Needle and Underground tour. Ended up buying a Citypass and that kept me busy.

One thing I've found really confronting is the amount of homeless people in North America, it's something I'm not used to and really saddens me when I see it.

Also, symphony aren't we supposed to hate eachother ;)

Last edited:

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Vancouver was really cool, really enjoyed my time there. I managed to do a fair bit and go to Stanley Park, Aquarium, Gastown, Chinatown, Granville Island, UBC, MoA, Maritime Museum, Vancouver Museum, Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon, Queen Elizabeth Park, Van Dusen Gardens and Canucks vs Coyotes. Unfortunately Vancouver gave me a cold.

Seattle is alright there seem to be good and bad parts of the city. I really enjoyed the Museum of Flight, Space Needle and Underground tour. Ended up buying a Citypass and that kept me busy.

One thing I've found really confronting is the amount of homeless people in North America, it's something I'm not used to and really saddens me when I see it.

Also, symphony aren't we supposed to hate eachother ;)
Visit me anyways :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)