Move Stealth Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
aka every defog user and the likes.
A good portion of the relevant OU defog users are available in game via breeding with Swanna, who learns the move leveling up. Also, he specifically mentioned that he was talking about the currently available pokemon, everyone else is talking about what is to come.

I don't see why it's unfair to claim that though since we're talking about Latis, terra and the likes which are also unavailable but mehs. Don't see why one can't talk about poke bank while people talk about unreleased mons aka every defog user and the likes.
Y'all are free to talk about it, I never said anyone couldn't and even if I did, I'm certainly not the TC or a mod. I was just stirring up some discussion about the legit ingame meta since that's what currently pertains to my interests.

With all those spinners (fore / starmie / excadrill) and defog-users, (zapdos / mence / gliscor and stuff) it's gonna be way harder to randomHO, and even tho i'm clearly an offensive player, I kinda like that.

SRers are gonna be really much bulky that generation imo, you can't lose your hasard-setter in 1 turn when even offensive teams are gonna wash it off instantely. Ttar / Ferrothorn / Garchomp / Heatran are gonna be good for that job.

I think that line of thinking is a little on the fear mongering side.

Spinners are going to have a hellish life due to the expected increase in Ghost type usage.

Defog is going to cost you the turn you use to Defog and a turn to put up your own rocks. I'm fairly certain that suicide leads and other fragile rockers (and 5th gen styled hyper offense) is going to have its place in the meta still.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A good portion of the relevant OU defog users are available in game via breeding with Swanna, who learns the move leveling up. Also, he specifically mentioned that he was talking about the currently available pokemon, everyone else is talking about what is to come.
Whelp I was unaware of swanna passing it. My bad.

I see stealth rock being used as much as ever.

Seems fair to punish those who are obsessed with switching pokemon. I mean imagine if the pokemon anime had battles that showed trainers switching their pokemon 4 times EACH before a single attack actually is used.

lol that is why we use hazards.

I see stealth rock being used as much as ever.

Seems fair to punish those who are obsessed with switching pokemon. I mean imagine if the pokemon anime had battles that showed trainers switching their pokemon 4 times EACH before a single attack actually is used.

lol that is why we use hazards.
If you're using the anime as an interpretation for how battles should be fought, you're doing it wrong.

I personally love the switching element of Pokemon. At its heart Pokemon evolved from Rock-Paper-Scissors, and the mind games that ensues from that. Switching things in and out in order to counter your opponent is the core of the Pokemon playing experience.

If you're using the anime as an interpretation for how battles should be fought, you're doing it wrong.

I personally love the switching element of Pokemon. At its heart Pokemon evolved from Rock-Paper-Scissors, and the mind games that ensues from that. Switching things in and out in order to counter your opponent is the core of the Pokemon playing experience.
It was merely an example.....the idea of visualizing a battle of constant switching is just unorthodox to me.

The core is countering sure, but its also the "how". Like a Pokemon having moves that counter its type weaknesses. Switching loses a turn and thus can and will be punished.

Im all for switching when your up against a Pokemon your current one can't handle, but anything outside that just seems overkill and quite frankly laughable. Kinda isn't a battle if all trainers are doing are switching (lol).

Hence why hazards deserve a spot and they should punish those who are not confident in the abilities of their current Pokemon.

It was merely an example.....the idea of visualizing a battle of constant switching is just unorthodox to me.

The core is countering sure, but its also the "how". Like a Pokemon having moves that counter its type weaknesses. Switching loses a turn and thus can and will be punished.

Im all for switching when your up against a Pokemon your current one can't handle, but anything outside that just seems overkill and quite frankly laughable. Kinda isn't a battle if all trainers are doing are switching (lol).

Hence why hazards deserve a spot and they should punish those who are not confident in the abilities of their current Pokemon.
You don't need hazards to punish a player for switching. Switching costs turns. Turns are valuable. There are plenty of other creative ways to punish players for switching besides entry hazards. Use the turn they're switching to set up! And if you have good prediction skills, predict the switch and secure switch to your own Pokemon. Entry hazards are just the easiest and most obvious way to punish player's for switching, especially with stealth rock - but they're certainly not needed to punish an opponent that is constantly switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need hazards to punish a player for switching. Switching costs turns. Turns are valuable. There are plenty of other creative ways to punish players for switching besides entry hazards. Use the turn they're switching to set up! And if you have good prediction skills, predict the switch and secure switch to your own Pokemon. Entry hazards are just the easiest and most obvious way to punish player's for switching, especially with stealth rock - but they're certainly not needed to punish an opponent that is constantly switching.

Watch starting at 0:48. That isn't a match, its all setup and no action. Just like opponents who are obsessed with switching. It ain't fun or realistic. Thank god entry hazards aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Not only does the user lose a turn for switching, but should be punished for doing it in the first place.

This is about competitive battling after all :P

Last edited:
You're still merely arguing a subjective increase in "fun" as "realism" is hardly something you see a lot of in Pokemon.

Regardless, stealth rock still has its place while now having more interesting counter-play to it. That to me is about as healthy for competitive battling as anything.

People really consider defog an option ?
Sure it removes hazards, but it removes the one you put too.
If you run defog, your opponent doesn't even need to run it. You do their job at removing hazard and lose several turns putting them again.

Unless you run something beyond Rocks, you really only need a single turn. I'd consider it an option, but I'm still undecided on how good of one it will be.

People really consider defog an option ?
Sure it removes hazards, but it removes the one you put too.
If you run defog, your opponent doesn't even need to run it. You do their job at removing hazard and lose several turns putting them again.
That is somewhat true but if players are going to use suicide leads just to use SR then defog is guaranteed way of removing them, so you end up trading one Pokemon for one or two turns. If there is no Suicide lead then maybe some Pokemon are worth defogging for like a guaranteed multiscale Dragonite, or Volcrona. Plus some defog users also carry SR (Emploeon) and some have U-Turn (Crobat) so you sacrifice less turns while removing hazards indefinitely.

Unless you run something beyond Rocks, you really only need a single turn. I'd consider it an option, but I'm still undecided on how good of one it will be.
Yeah I think people will either run Rocks/defog or rock/spikes (or sticky web) and rapid spin support instead of defog.
If you have 2 hazards it's better not to run defog.

Completely depends on what your Defogger can do afterward or what options you have to punish their rock setter.

What Pokémon are the only ones that get Stealth Rock until Pokébank comes out? I haven't seen a list in this thread.

I wanted to use Mamoswine but confirmed it doesn't learn stealth rock from Smeargle. I think it may still learn it from other pokemon, just not from Smeargle. Can't test this anytime soon though.

I wanted to use Mamoswine but confirmed it doesn't learn stealth rock from Smeargle. I think it may still learn it from other pokemon, just not from Smeargle. Can't test this anytime soon though.
Unless breeding mechanics have changed, SR isn't an egg move for it.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think you tried very hard...

User ium confirmed in another thread that it does indeed get Stealth Rock via Smeargle:

I'll have to look into it further to see what I did wrong. It's not a matter of trying hard...you breed the pokemon, the egg moves get passed down.

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not a matter of trying hard...you breed the pokemon, the egg moves get passed down.
Oh, I'm aware. But a quick search would have revealed your findings to be false... hence didn't "try" to confirm much of anything.

I believe this brings our pre-Bank "OU-quality" Stealth Rock user list to:

Mamoswine
Tyranitar
Ferrothorn
Forretress

"Lower tier" users:

Crustle
Tyrantrum
Gigalith
Golem
Steelix
Carbink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)