Pokémon Trevenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering why is everyone going for a pure defensive set on a pokemon with 85/76/82 defenses? and going for specialy defensive? i mean he is week to ice,fire,ghost wich are mostly special moves and everything caries ice beam and flamethrowers i really dont see how its low defenses can make him a great defensive pokemon imo.

the stats in the OP should be updated to the serebii ones.

just wondering why is everyone going for a pure defensive set on a pokemon with 85/76/82 defenses? and going for specialy defensive? i mean he is week to ice,fire,ghost wich are mostly special moves and everything caries ice beam and flamethrowers i really dont see how its low defenses can make him a great defensive pokemon imo.

Since going defense means it'll be at least 3HKO for most pokemon in its tier (starmie for example) and it can do damage with potential 2HKO also being a spinblocker at the same time.
It has amazing recovering abilities with Horn Leech, Harvest, and Natural Cure while it also holds Will-o-Wisp for physicals.

He's pretty slow so hard to go offensive. His recovery options make defensive somewhat viable.

They said in that thread about these berries that the bonus is applied after the hit so its not like the ones that weaken super effective attacks. Makes it a little harder to get this going I think. Still could be interesting though.
Switch into a weak physical attack and grab the bonus, then hope your opponent isn't packing something that's gonna force you to switch out anyway.

Somewhat gimmicky, but it could work.

Got some practice in with my Bulky Four Attacks set tonight, and the results haven't really been that impressive. The first thing I noticed was just how difficult it is to actually use him in play, because Fire and Ice are EXTREMELY common attacking types right now, and even Flying is very prevalent due to Brave Bird Blazikens and Talonflames. Even with his Assault Vest, he still takes a large enough amount of damage from Greninja's Ice Beam to the point where it will 2HKO him if he doesn't get the opportunity to Horn Leech in between attacks, so you can't really switch him into an incoming attack that he's weak to. (If he does land the Horn Leech inbetween, however, he'll score an OHKO and be back at 85% HP minimum haha).

Horn Leech is a lot tougher to use reliably than I first thought as well. Fire, Flying, Bug, Grass, Dragon, Poison, and Steel all resist Grass-type attacks. While Trevenant does have great coverage through his other moves, he is pretty reliant on healing through Horn Leech because even with his bulk, he still has trouble taking a lot of punishment without healing inbetween.

I definitely need to do more research with this set, but as far as my research has shown, it's more of a niche set that's really only optimized for patching up teams that have weaknesses to Water or Ground 'Mons.

EDIT: After more testing, I have concluded that Bulky Four Attacks Trevenant is more of a liability than an asset and should not be used in competitive play. He's way too niche and frankly just sucks.

Last edited:

I've been testing this guy a lot in OU (beta) on pokémon showdown. And it wrecks everything that is considered a bulky water, especially if my sun is still up (with harvest + sitrus).

He wins 1v1 against: Greninja, mega-toise, jellicent, starmie, aegislash (if the opponent switches it in on trevenant and if trevenant runs EQ in place of shadow claw).

I've been testing this guy a lot in OU (beta) on pokémon showdown. And it wrecks everything that is considered a bulky water, especially if my sun is still up (with harvest + sitrus).

He wins 1v1 against: Greninja, mega-toise, jellicent, starmie, aegislash (if the opponent switches it in on trevenant and if trevenant runs EQ in place of shadow claw).
not sure if i like the idea of no status recovery how can you beat jelicent if you get burned? and have no way to recover from burn?i prefer lum berry with rest as a 4 move imo

Last edited:
Most bulky w
not sure if i like the idea of no status recovery how can you beat jelicent if you get burned? and have no way to recover from burn?i prefer lum berrey with rest as a 4 move imo
Most bulky waters are specially defensive and gets outsped by trevenant (like jellicent and mega-toise). First horn leech deals 77% on jellicent and 66% on mega-toise (if sp.atk invested) and 50% on a defense invested mega-toise, which is still a 80% chance to 2HKO and a guaranteed one on jellicent even if my trev is burned for the second horn leech.

You could always run aroma therapy on a blissey or whichever tank you prefer if you are afraid of status ailments.

Got some practice in with my Bulky Four Attacks set tonight, and the results haven't really been that impressive. The first thing I noticed was just how difficometcult it is to actually use him in play, because Fire and Ice are EXTREMELY common attacking types right now, and even Flying is very prevalent due to Brave Bird Blazikens and Talonflames. Even with his Assault Vest, he still takes a large enough amount of damage from Greninja's Ice Beam to the point where it will 2HKO him if he doesn't get the opportunity to Horn Leech in between attacks, so you can't really switch him into an incoming attack that he's weak to. (If he does land the Horn Leech inbetween, however, he'll score an OHKO and be back at 85% HP minimum haha).

Horn Leech is a lot tougher to use reliably than I first thought as well. Fire, Flying, Bug, Grass, Dragon, Poison, and Steel all resist Grass-type attacks. While Trevenant does have great coverage through his other moves, he is pretty reliant on healing through Horn Leech because even with his bulk, he still has trouble taking a lot of punishment without healing inbetween.

I definitely need to do more research with this set, but as far as my research has shown, it's more of a niche set that's really only optimized for patching up teams that have weaknesses to Water or Ground 'Mons.

EDIT: After more testing, I have concluded that Bulky Four Attacks Trevenant is more of a liability than an asset and should not be used in competitive play. He's way too niche and frankly just sucks.
I feel like what you said about the high presence of fire and flying types really doesn't bode well for this guy in general, not just this set. How can he survive in a meta full of talonflames and M - blazikens no matter what he's running?

I had such high hopes for this guy because I love his design but it's looking more and more like he just isn't gonna have a place on most competitive teams. I think killing bulky water types like Spectruma pointed out is probably about his only use and even there other mons probably do it better.

I could understand making him slow or making him fragile but why did they have to make him slow and fragile? Sure he has allot of healing options but that doesn't matter when many things can just outspeed and OHKO you. Trollfreak strikes again making another awesome looking mon weak.

Most bulky w

Most bulky waters are specially defensive and gets outsped by trevenant (like jellicent and mega-toise). First horn leech deals 77% on jellicent and 66% on mega-toise (if sp.atk invested) and 50% on a defense invested mega-toise, which is still a 80% chance to 2HKO and a guaranteed one on jellicent even if my trev is burned for the second horn leech.

You could always run aroma therapy on a blissey or whichever tank you prefer if you are afraid of status ailments.
first jellicent is faster than you so she can always burn you before you do those 77%

Why run aromatherapysuport on a pokemon who can use natural cure or harvest lum berry it just doesnt seem worth it, one turn rest plus imunity to burn,toxic,paralize and confusion seems better than sitrus berry to me since he can use horn leech to recover hp aswhell.

they do seem interesting but without realiable recovery its hard to use them no sitrus or instarest i dont know how much time he will live since they only activate after the move so he takes a full 100% hit first and horn leech by itself wont save you imo.

they do seem interesting but without realiable recovery its hard to use them no sitrus or instarest i dont know how much time he will live since they only activate after the move so he takes a full 100% hit first and horn leech by itself wont save you imo.
They SHARPLY increase (not confirmed yet, though: I WTF so much when I saw Maranga Berry in Battle Chateau) Defense or Special Defense. Trevenant can take a predicted Water, Earth, Grass or Electric attack, and then use Leech Seed, Horn Leech, Will-o-wisp or whatever.

1st set: have harvest but nothing to attempt to abuse with it? Not sure if Curse/TrickRoom can work easily on this guy but we'll see.

2nd set: gimmicky but honestly could work that'd be interesting

3rd set: its the same as your 1st set...why? Support set would be trickroom, wilowisp, leechseed, and seedbomb since you wouldnt always have something to drop leechseed on and as support you wont appreciate recoil
Oops, ment Sitrus Berry on the 1st set.

3rd Set: I see your point, I guess Will-o-wisp is better than Substitute

Here's the set I'm looking into. Feel free to give some opinions.

Sub Stall
Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Harvest / Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech / Leech Seed
- Shadow Claw / Phantom Force
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Substitute is mandatory on a Sub set. Horn Leech / Leech Seed offer offensive and defensive regen options. Shadow Claw will probably be mandatory but Phantom Force has some real potential (I think...). WoW burns any physical attackers.

EV's assume that WoW covers any physical attacker and that you don't need any Atk. Could be fine tuned to have more attack by picking a specific Special attacker / sweeper and assuring coverage through EVs, but I just quickly made this set up.

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This set is called the B-Tree

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spd
Careful Nature
- Leach Seed
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute
- Curse
There's a couple YouTube vids by NotBlameTruth showcasing this set

This set is called the B-Tree

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spd
Careful Nature
- Leach Seed
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute
- Curse
There's a couple YouTube vids by NotBlameTruth showcasing this set
This set is really good. Immediately started breeding toward it as soon as I learned about Curse and Harvest. With a cleric and Toxic Spikes support, can just punch major indirect damage holes faster than the opponent can Roost them off. And a base 110 attack means that if you get behind an unbroken sub, there's a good chance that on a roost turn you can finish the opponent.

Uh... is it just me, or does Liquid Ooze Tentacruel just completely counter this guy? If you run Horn Leech on him anyway. Tentacruel is always faster, can predict the Horn Leech and switch in, then just Sludge Bomb away. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe I'm too new to this stuff. XD

Sub Seeder

Trevenant
Item: Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech/Curse
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Trevenant has many opportunities for a switch and once you set up that sub, you're all set to do some major damage to the opposing team
Horn leech allows the pokemon to heal more while in a substitute
Will-o-wisp is mainly for crippling physical attackers and in some cases: sub stalling
Curse can also be used since it can basically heal off all the damage taken when using curse, however it falls victim to taunt and it won't be able to defend itself if you chose curse over horn leech when it's being taunted. Curse can also be used in case you run into grass types such as Ferrothorn and Venusaur

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Uh... is it just me, or does Liquid Ooze Tentacruel just completely counter this guy? If you run Horn Leech on him anyway. Tentacruel is always faster, can predict the Horn Leech and switch in, then just Sludge Bomb away. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe I'm too new to this stuff. XD
I wouldn't say completely, since Trevenant can learn Earthquake (which also hits Heatran), but it's still a decent response otherwise. Trevenant's access to moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide makes complete countering tricky, but Pokemon that fear only one situational move make decent checks / counters. Swellow is one such example, as it doesn't care about Trevenant's STABs, Earthquake or burns, but fears Rock Slide.

Currently, Heatran is unavailable in X and Y. But when Pokebank is released, a Trevenant-Heatran Defensive Core would work well (Type Synergy-Wise) I'm looking at it at a purely type synergy level, but Trevenant-Heatran almost perfectly cover each other's weaknesses (Bar Dark and Ghost to Trevenant). I'm not sure how their movesets would handle certain threats though.

People... these berries sound very interesting for your Harvest fantasies...

Kee Berry: If held by a Pokémon, this Berry will increase the Pokemon Defense stat when hit by a physical attack
Maranga Berry: If held by a Pokémon, this Berry will increase the Pokemon Sp. Defense stat when hit by a special attack

http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/marangaberry.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/keeberry.shtml

Wouldn't these work on a RestTalk set? Even more so with the reset sleep mechanics

Sleeping tree of everlasting
(RestTalk)

Trevenant
Item: Maranga Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech/shadow sneak/shadow claw
- Will-O-Wisp/Leech Seed
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Will-O-Wisp to make sure you get minimum damage from physical attacks (maybe leech seed if you wana keep more healthy probably stronger if you wana go fully special defensive). Invested special defense raised allot by harvesting Maranga berry. RestTalk for good recovery and an attack to strike down opponents (don't really know wich is the best chooise)

I tried the PuP+Sitrus set and I like it. It has good reliability coming into Fighting moves. On the switch throw up your Sub, and then you need to WoW if it's physical the next turn. It helps so much staying alive. After just one PuP you tend to do enough damage with Horn Leech that combined with Sitrus you have a much easier time getting Subs back up. This works better on balanced teams than it does HO because it can be outmuscled early on, which is why you have to play it smart. Not to mention you can't burn Fire types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)