Battle Mechanics Research

No idea where to post this so I apologize if it's the wrong thread, but the Move thread seems to be in-game descriptions only...

Draining Kiss is a contact move. I had my Vivillon use Draining Kiss on a wild Whirlipede to weaken it, and its Poison Point ability activated and poisoned me. Serebii has it listed as no contact, so he's wrong.
there was a report earlier in the thread of someone having their poison point triggered by surf, so poison point may affect all non-contact moves now

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
King's Shield attack drop activated against Sylveon Draining Kiss in one of my battle spot matches. It's a contact move.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
How does Gale Wings affect the move Fly? I assume that it gets +1 Priority going up, but does it have +1 Priority coming back down, or does it have 0 Priority coming back down like Dive Cats? I'm crossing my fingers sooooooooooooooo hard. I can supply a bloated incense or whatever that is if anyone wants to test it.

Does losing Protean (by Skill Swap, Entrainment or Mummy) revert the Protean poke to its original type? Given that they've changed to a different type of course.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Um, a Druddigon used Dragon Tail against my Mewtwo and it didn't switch me out.
Details:
I had thrown an Ultra Ball at it that turn.
Mewtwo had Mewtwonite X but was not Mega Evolved.

I'll try it again.

EDIT: Happened again. Different encounter, this time with Blaziken. I'll try it one more time with a non mega.

DOUBLE EDIT: Did not switch out Greninja. However, it DID switch out another Druddigon of the same level (I mean ending the battle). Won't matter here then (except randbats). It must have to do with levels.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Confusion damage does not activate Sitrus Berry. I assume the same extends to Oran Berry and such but haven't tested it in full. I'm pretty sure Toxic damage did (but can't say with 100% certainty), so I assume this is only confusion that does this.

Since I'm assuming that was a wild encounter, that's a result of pseudohazing moves failing when used by a wild Pokemon instead of ending the battle this generation. (Not sure if this was mentioned earlier) I know I've seen Whirlwind/Roar fail when used by a Wild Pokemon.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Since I'm assuming that was a wild encounter, that's a result of pseudohazing moves failing when used by a wild Pokemon instead of ending the battle this generation. (Not sure if this was mentioned earlier) I know I've seen Whirlwind/Roar fail when used by a Wild Pokemon.
I did it again, but I think it only works if the levels are the same. I edited my above post.

I did it again, but I think it only works if the levels are the same. I edited my above post.
Ah, I guess I was at least somewhat mistaken. :) I believe I've seen these moves work normally during battles with trainers even when the levels were lower, but it might be worth looking into (again, if it hasn't already).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
How does Gale Wings affect the move Fly? I assume that it gets +1 Priority going up, but does it have +1 Priority coming back down, or does it have 0 Priority coming back down like Dive Cats? I'm crossing my fingers sooooooooooooooo hard. I can supply a bloated incense or whatever that is if anyone wants to test it.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/talonflame.3489918/page-3#post-4899620
Utlimario tested this in the Talon Flame thread. Fly gets priority both turns. This ought to be put into the OP because a lot of people are going to get the same idea.

Electrify is a 0-priority, one turn status move. It's diverted and absorbed by Lightning Rod, and absorbed by Lightning Absorb.

Does losing Protean (by Skill Swap, Entrainment or Mummy) revert the Protean poke to its original type? Given that they've changed to a different type of course.
I used protean Greninja with Role Play (as lazy alternative to Trace Gardevor) in friend safari and Greninja seemed to keep its psychic type after using Role Play.

So, Refrigerate, Pixilate and presumably Aerilate boost the normal moves that they convert. But what about their inverse - Normalize? Does it boost non-normal attacks that it changes?

You can't record Chatter anymore. Or at least, not that I can tell. I'm pretty sure (from experience and the in-game description) that it is straight up 100% chance of confusing anyone it hits.

e: By extension, Chatot can now be used over wi-fi
Does this mean that Chatter can now be Sketched?

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does this mean that Chatter can now be Sketched?
Just tried to make my Smeargle Sketch my Chatot's Chatter. "But it failed!" happened soo nope! edit: tried it in the 2v2 lvl10 double battles at Lumi. Chatot moved first and Smeargle second so I know it wasn't that.

edit: also Mold Breaker only states that it stops abilities from preventing the attacks, not weaken. I'll test Fur Coat to see what happens soon.

edit: I have two separate lvl 14 Quiet Axew (one with Mold Breaker and one with Rivaly) Scratching my lvl 14 Furfrou. Axew with Rivalry is averaging 4 damage to Furfrou. Axew with Mold Breaker is averaging 8 damage. So I am mistakened, Mold Breaker is negating Fur Coat.

Last edited:
Just tried to make my Smeargle Sketch my Chatot's Chatter. "But it failed!" happened soo nope! edit: tried it in the 2v2 lvl10 double battles at Lumi. Chatot moved first and Smeargle second so I know it wasn't that.

edit: also Mold Breaker only states that it stops abilities from preventing the attacks, not weaken. I'll test Fur Coat to see what happens soon.

edit: I have two separate lvl 14 Quiet Axew (one with Mold Breaker and one with Rivaly) Scratching my lvl 14 Furfrou. Axew with Rivalry is averaging 4 damage to Furfrou. Axew with Mold Breaker is averaging 8 damage. So I am mistakened, Mold Breaker is negating Fur Coat.
What Gender is the Rivalry Axew. If they're different they get weaker

So, Refrigerate, Pixilate and presumably Aerilate boost the normal moves that they convert. But what about their inverse - Normalize? Does it boost non-normal attacks that it changes?
This is probably a silly question, but has anyone tested to see if Normal-type moves just get a 30% boost when any non-Normal type Pokémon uses them?

As I have mentioned in a post in the Battle Frontier Records topic, and in a few other places...

A lot of movesets in the Battle Maison are identical to Battle Subway sets for older Pokemon, but one thing that has changed is that ALL instances of Gems on movesets to my knowledge have been changed to different held items. It seems like a bit of a strange thing to do if Gems still existed, since they had no issue with giving Pokemon Custap Berries long, long, long before they were obtainable for us in 5th gen (and 6th gen).

It isn't anything that 100% proves that Gems no longer exist, but it does point heavily towards that direction.
Normal Gem definitely still exists. I found one in my game. Has anyone else found any differently-typed gems? It wouldn't shock me if Normal Gem were the only one left. Normal attacks aren't super-effective against anything, so they need the boost more.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Rivalry will affect the damage output though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)