Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this combo a lot, myself. With one special and one physical, they cover both sides of the spectrum; they also kick the shit out of SkarmBliss, not that that really means anything anymore.
You'll definitely need something to cover those unfortunate ghost and dark weaknesses, though. A Dark type might help a bit; maybe a nice Tyranitar? While its ground weakness does combine with Aegislash's, it does resist both of those types, while Aegislash resists steel, bug, grass, and is completely immune to fighting. Rotom's got those grounds and waters covered, along with steel. T-tar also has great bulk and power, and gets SR as well.
/
/

^ maybe?

I really like the idea of this core and have started to iv breed it. Though thinking if crobat, geninja and Talon Flame would work well for filling out the rest of this core?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

So when it comes to offensive partners for Dark-types, one can't really go wrong with Aegislash. It can turn Bug-, Fighting- and Fairy-types all into convenient setup fodder. Said Dark-type returns the favor by resisting Ghost and Dark-type moves for it (one can even take advantage of this by having Justified Absol switch into said Dark-type move and have yourself a +1 Mega-Absol, but Dark-type moves usually come in the form of Pursuit and Sucker Punch, which cannot be switched into :pirate: ) . Hydreigon takes it a step further by taking Fire-type moves and switching into Earthquakes with ease, covering their weaknesses perfectly.

Both sets can be tweaked accordingly. Some of you want the 'traditional' Stance Dance Aegislash, while others prefer wallbreaking Autotomize Aegislash. To complement Aegislash, Hydreigon can run a mixed wallbreaking set or makes use of Autotomize Aegi's wallbreaking by going awol with a sweeping Choice set. Either way, one should be geared for sweeping while the other aims to take down walls, both roles which can be adopted easily by either Pokemon.

Now some / many are already asking what is the merit of running Hydreigon when Fairies are lurking about as both STABs are resisted, but Hydreigon imo is actually better off compared to most other Dragons when it comes to dealing with the popular Fairies. First off, Hydreigon has Head Smash, so just go on ahead and teach that cocky Togekiss a lesson in true hurt. If that's not your cup of tea, Hydreigon can still U-turn away from the Fairies, landing some chip damage on them while Aegislash comes in to lay waste on them, or have something else deal with the bothersome Azumarill, like Mega-Venusaur or Tentacruel. Don't write Hydreigon off yet, people!

Im new to competitive battling and have been trying to configure a team around scizor.

Ive seen gengar tyranitar greninja suggested as possible core starter. What is most effective? Im leaning scizor gengar

Last edited:
This might defeat the purpose of this thread, but I just don't see any 6th gen potential replacements to my already tried-and-true core.

For example, nothing new comes close to challenging heatran, who is actually improved IMO, as is gengar, who is immune to two of heatran's weaknesses, although there's always the chance he'll get banned, albeit a small chance in my opinion. Celebi can only improve with a fairy retcon and there wasn't a single good grass type added this gen (with the exception of possibly gourgeist) let alone one that can outclass celebi. It pains me to say that hydreigon got nerfed but he won't be replaced by anything 6th gen, that's for sure. Vaporeon is my standard water cause I love wish support and immunities, and I don't see that changing unless fairies are really good and I need tentacruel or something.

Now that I think about it, I may just need more ghost resists cause of the heatran nerf...I was happy because ghost is my favorite type but I wonder if they got pushed a bit too far. I may have to look at Klefki or mawile.

What would be good additions to build on a Hydreigon + Aegislash core? I was thinking about Starmie for Rapid Spin, but am not sure if there is a Rapid Spin/Defog user that would better fit my core. Are there any other Pokemon that you can think of that would fit well into this comp?

New to competitive play and looking for suggestions.

I'm running a MegaMawile/Goodra Assault Vest Core. Supported by VoltTurn Volcarona/Rotom-W Combo and a back up ParaFlinch Dragon Slayer Togekiss and Aegislash
I was looking at trying something around Mega Mawile and either Assault Vest Goodra or Dragonite. I was leaning towards Dragonite because it's ground immunity means it completely covers all of Mawile's weaknesses and vise versa.

I can see a lot of synergy between Tentacruel and Hydreigon this gen Hydreigon covers psychic, ground and electric pokemon that would attempt to kill Tentacruel. While Tentacruel returns the favor by resisting everything aside from dragon that is super effective against Hydreigon.

Then again I can see Tentacruel working along side a lot of dragons this gen.

Last edited:
I was looking at trying something around Mega Mawile and either Assault Vest Goodra or Dragonite. I was leaning towards Dragonite because it's ground immunity means it completely covers all of Mawile's weaknesses and vise versa.
If i was to run Dragonite though I would switch Assault Vest with Leftovers or Focus sash and run T.wave. Goodra's advantage is his strong potential to poke the enemy team, he can tank special attacks with assault vest and can slow down physical attackers with Gooey. Couple this with Talonflame's Priority Brave Bird and Tailwind lategame. I'm using this combo to climb up to 1.8 3v3 ratings.

For Wish Passing for passing's sake as well as the HP that the poke can pass, I'd recommend Sylveon.
Sylveon@Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 S Def / 4 Sp Atk

Protect
Moon Blast
Toxic
Wish
Following up on this, I think I've got a Primarily Defensive core happening.

Sylveon@Leftovers
Nature: Bold/Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 240 S Def / 16 Spd

Substitute
Moon Blast
Toxic
Wish

A fairly generic Sylveon build, soaks up special hits, heals them off with Wish and likely to go for the Protect the next round. This makes it easier for Aegislash to come in safety and use King's Shield. Moon Blast is its best attack until Pokebank so Pixilate starts being some worth. Toxic is for chipping away at opponent's health and making them easier prey for the other two parts of this trio. Bold nature so if it gets caught taking a physical move in its hide it may be likely to survive, otherwise we'll go calm.

16 Spd is for out speeding Florges, other Sylveons, non-invested Skarmory and Jellicent (avoiding taunt), Politoed, Scizor (may become a thing with its Mega) and T-Tar.

Synergy: Resists Dark types for Aegislash, taking Neutral from Ghost/Grass that would seek to hurt Aegislash/Rotom-W. Can take Fire/Ground for neutral for Aegislash but that's better left to Rotom-W. Provides an immunity from Dragons which is golden for every team. Neutral damage isn't so bad, as long as Sylveon isn't getting hit on its physically side, healing off damage with Wish.

Aegislash@Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Spd

Substitute
King's Shield
Iron Head
Sacred Sword

You may notice there's no Shadow Sneak here, personally pokes weak enough to be picked off by it, I imagine would switch and then die to SR upon coming back in. It seems too risky if they live and catch Aegislash in Blade Form. Running 0 Spd Ivs and a Brave nature further seeks to ensure Aegislash moves last. Substitute is so Aegislash can hide behind it and try to get off its Iron Head/Sacred Sword STAB while not so easily being caught in Blade Form. Seeing as upon switching in its in Shield Form it doesn't look to hard to get it in, though it is relying on Sylveon for those Wish passes after Subs.

Will-O-Wisp will cripple Aegislash massively so Heal Bell on Sylveon once it becomes legal is a must, otherwise a poke that can run it or Aromatherapy.

Synergy: Is immune to Poison types that may attempt to hit Sylveon, as well as resisting Steal. Also resists Grass for Rotom-W. Provides a Normal/Fighting immunity on the team.

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD

Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split

It's the Specially Defensive Rotom-W set! Volt Switch keeps up momentum while the opponent will possibly switch on the switch-in, racking up hazard damage. Hydro Pump is strong STAB even with minimum investment. Will-O-Wisp further seeks to cripple pokes when Sylveon's not able to, a poke running Thunder Wave on this team would also work well here. Pain Split allows Rotom-W to heal off its opponents.

Synergy: Rotom-W provides an immunity to Ground, laughing off EQ for Aegislash. Also is immune to Fire types and can take Ghost/Dark moves for Aegislash. Provides another steel resistance for Sylveon, will still taking neutral from Poison attacks.

Overall the core synergy isn't amazing, Aegislash still fears Ghost moves that can't be sponged by Sylveon/Rotom-W. So perhaps a Dark/Normal type poke is in need for this team, I'd be thinking something like Assault Vest-T-Tar, Mega-T-Tar, possibly Hydreigon (as it and Aegislash have perfect synergy) or Porygon-Z.

This core values SR on the field to take advantage of switches and also would love Heal Bell/Aromatherapy to ensure everyone's longevity. To me, this is Defense Core, with Sylveon also being 1/2 of a Support Core, providing Wish for everyone.

I'm new to competitive battle and I'd like you to advice me about this core:

Klefki@Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderwave
- Foul Play

Slowbro@Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Aegislash@Air Balloon
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

It's a pretty defensive team. Klefki prepares the ground with both screens to allow Slowbro and Aegislash use their bump moves without fearing 0O.K.s. I'm also thinking about adding Charizard X as Physical Sweeper, MegaGengar Sub+Disable or Sableye.

I've been trying to work around a Togekiss, Garchomp core as they seem to cover each other pretty nicely. However I need some suggestions on a potential 3rd member to work with the two of them as I think right now that a steel type like Ferrothorn could be a problem.

I feel like running Fire Blast on Togekiss (and maybe even on chomp if it's a Life Orb variant) provides somewhat of a check, but you really do not want to switch Togekiss into a Ferrothorn Gyro Ball for example.

One of the ideas popping up in my head is an offensive Rapid Spinning Excadrill.

I like the greninjas volt turn core, leading with galvantula. From there what else? Ttar sets up stealth rocks, and is threatening, but that only leaves room for either a spinner or a spin blocker, not both. Thoughts?

As one of the best defensive cores EVER I'd have to say Gastrodon-Sigilyph-Heatran.
Gastrodon taking rock, water, and electric like a boss.
Heatran taking fire, ice, grass, bug, poison, steel, fairy, normal, psychic, dragon and flying easy peasy.
Sigilyph nabbing ground and fighting.
The only thing this core doesn't resist/ is immune to is ghost or dark, both hitting a not-boosted Sigilyph almost always for a OHKO.
Therefore a fighting dark pokemon like Scrafty or Pangoro is recommended to deal with these nuisances.
Equally, something fast and hard hitting is appreciated, and for this role and as the back-up sweeper (Provided Sigilyph can't do it's job), I recommend Mega Garchomp to get busy destroying everything with Outrage.
And for the final two team slots, I've had the habit of using Cleric Blissey and SR Forretress with Volt Switch and HP Ice.

So far this is the most solid core I've been able to develop. Xerneas as everybody by now should know is a massive threat and so is Arceus. They can take on what hurts each other the most. Arceus can beat stuff along the lines of Assault Vest Metagross, Poisonceus, and with good enough prediction Aegislash. Xerneas on the other hand steamrolls through just about anything that can stop Extreme-Killer Arceus such as Giratina-A, Fightceus, etc. Mega Banette is not necessarily needed but it strengthens the core by allowing you to completely stop your oponent's Xerneas sweeps will a combination of threatening it with Destiny Bond. Banette also stops Any CM Arceus or Extreme-Killer Arceus. I could go on but you get the point by now.

Banette (F) @ Banettite
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Shadow Claw

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Trait: Fairy Aura
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt/Psyshock/Flash Cannon/Filler

Hi Guys,
I'm new to online battling, so thought I'd post my planned core here (OU team, non poke-bank)

Goodyear (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Sharknado (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang

Phalanx (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

This core coveres each others weaknesses pretty solidly. Togekiss covers Aegislash's weakness to Ground, Ghost and Dark (And fire attacks don't do much to the bulky Tkiss). Aegislash covers Toge's weakness to poison, Steel and Ice. Fire/Rock are the only weakness's not covered, so I thought a Chop may be a good addition as he is great vs Fire and Flying and is a power house, though his spot is still up for debate.
They also have great move coverage. Having a super effective vs all types bar fairy, which normally are Sp.D bulky and can be worn down wit physical stab attacks relatively well

To support this core i was considering Bulky Blissey (Ice Beam, Soft Boiled, Protect, Toxic), Bulky Gliscor (Ice Fang, Toxic, Protect, Substitute) and a Bulky Starmie (Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, Scald, Recover)

One issue is there ae a lot of talonflames in the Meta at present. So I was also considering a Lucario with Extreme Speed, Sword Dance, Iron Tail and X other attack to counter Talon flame. or on the flipside replacing one of my pokes with a bulkup talon flame.

But thats niggling, how do you think this core works, could it be improved?

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Kingdra (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

This core is broken as hell. CBZor and RDKingdra go back to Damp Rock DPPt and the core works just as well as it did before. Scizor lures in Fire types and bulky Flyers like Lando, Heatran, Gliscor, etc. Obviously all of them are smashed by Kingdra. Typing-wise, Scizor's lone weakness is 4x resisted by Kingdra and Kingdra's two weaknesses are covered by Scizor so that's also pretty cool. If you wanted, you could run a bulkier Scizor with Lefties or even Damp Rock/Rain Dance if you wanted but I find CB works a lot better at luring in checks while also doing decent damage. Kingdra's speed could be changed since I'm not sure what speed you need to hit in the current meta.

As far as teamates go, Politoed is a great one since it already brings instant Rain. Zapdos or Latias with Defog are pretty cool too. Especially Latias because this core is pretty weak to Rotom-W if you are a little careless. More Swift Swimmers is also an option but it brings more Electric/grass weaknesses to the team. If Zapdos is able to Defog AND get Lightningrod it would be amazing.

Hello All I've been lurking around the past week or so trying to get into competitive battling just wanted to ask a question concerning the Core of a new team?

Could something involving Goodra Charizard X and Aegislash work? Thank you!

Have been running this core, with some degree of success

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Draco Meteor

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry/Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 HP / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Talonflame lures in Rock and Electric types which are quickly used as a set up bait for Garchomp. From there, Garchomp can get a SD up and spam Earthquake until it lures in Fairies, or priority users.

Rotom takes on Fairies like a boss, tanking CB Aqua Jets targetted at Talonflame and Garchomp and threatens with either of its moves. It can also avoid the 2HKO from Rough Play after a burn, or Rough Play + Aqua Jet. Rotom can switch into Togekiss who switch into Garchomp tank a hit, and Togekiss cannot do much to it as well.

Talonflame forces out the most commonly seen priority users like Mamo, Scizor, Breloom, Aegislash, with a super effective STAB Flare Blitz, which from there it can easily get up a free SD, sweep until it gets stopped, priority Tailwind to Garchomp again, where it can M-Evo and Outrage everything after its checks are lured in and eliminated by Rotom and Talonflame.

Really love MegaAbs/Sylveon/Aegislash.

Absol kinda lacks the bulk to support the other two defensively, but does something almost as good: bounces status aimed at them. Aegislash can handle most physical attacks, while Sylveon handles most special attacks. Absol just hits really freaking hard if you give him the chance.

I like chesnaught ttar a lot. Ttar can trap psychic types that threaten chesnaught and can easily take out any flying and fire types while also providing chesnaught some extra residual damage with sand stream and
stealth rock. Chesnaught deals with things like aegislash and fighting types
pretty well while also providing leech seed recovery and residual damage through spikes and spikey shield.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Shadow Ball

Shuckle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Power Split

Leading with Shuckle and then falling back on those two really wittles down a team. Sylveon takes care of all of Ferros weakens, except EQ, while Ferro can take the harder physical hits for Sylv. If Shuckle stays alive after setting up the hazards, Sylv can wish him back to life. Mid-late shuckle with power split and toxic is a monster.

Togekiss has the potential to completely wreck this core, while Azumarill and Latios will effortlessly destroy it.

Latios will sweep that entire core even without +1 DD. If Togekiss is running Dazzling Gleam instead of Aura Sphere it will take on Hydreigon after a Fire Blast and destroy your entire core even with few/no SpA EVs (Dazzling Gleam/Fire Blast/Air Slash/Roost set), 1HKO'ing Aegislash with Fire Blast and Roosting off anything M-Blastoise will do to it. Togekiss is getting more popular too, especially with the rise of Galvantula letting it Flinchax most of the meta and it's new unique typing. But the threat of Togekiss is nothing compared to what Azumarill would do to this team, choice scarf'd Hydreigon or not. How does 1HKO'ing Hydreigon with Play Rough while Flash Cannon does NOTHING sound?

252 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 102-121 (25.24 - 29.95%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

You need to compensate for these fairies, especially the double-type fairies since they'll receive a boom in usage due to their new typing.

Flash Cannon will only > Fire Blast when it's a pure fairy type, and they happen to have ridiculous SpD stats (florges, sylveon) so good luck downing them. Azumarill can 2HKO Aegislash and tank Offensive Stance Aegislash's iron heads easily. M-Blastoise also can't do a thing to Azumarill with it being immune to its 135BP Dragon Pulses.

M-Blastoise is so good just because it can run a 120BP Dark Pulse and become an unblockable rapid spinner. But, with no weaknesses to SR in your core, Aegislash not minding Sticky Web, and Hydreigon not getting affected by it due to Levitate, he has no roll here. Sorry, but I don't think there's any real way to fix this core with such huge weaknesses to Latios (16% usage in previous gen and it hasn't gotten any weaker, esp with defog available for it) + two mons that undoubtedly increase several-fold in OU usage.

If you want to build a core around one of these pokemon, let me know and I'll have a go. :)
Can you help me build a core/team around either a hydreigon or a Garchomp? Ever since I was a kid I have loved Dragons in anything hence I love dragon pokemon, so I'd love to be able to build a viable team around one or two. (I currently have a modest goodra with 5 perfect IVs, Relaxed Ferrothorn with leech seed and stealth rock and 5 perfect IV's, and a Modest Hydreigon with 5 perfect IV's and I don't mind having to rebreed or breed new pokemon if it means getting to play with my favorite pokemon (I would prefer if you could mention pokemon available in x/Y since I'm kinda new and even when poke bank comes out I won't have access to these pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)