Move Boomburst

Status
Not open for further replies.
But seriously guys. Why complain? We are breathing new life into pokemon who never had any. And Noivern doesn't even get stab anyway.
'Zactly. The drawback is you have to use Exploud or Chatot to get any use out of it (Noivern's got better things to do with his move slots than something that 2 of the most OU pokes and will never be SE ever)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ehh non stab boom burst from noivern is still as strong as a stab dragon pulse so its definitely going to use it. Just give it some specs and watch it wreak. at least until a steel type switches in.

To those wondering what GF was thinking, I think it's fairly obvious: Normal has no SE and is always considered a terrible offensive typing. Well, Boomburst now says hi. Can't wait to see who else will get this move, through events, Z tutors, etc. Normal type is one of my favorite types.

I think I'm going to run Infiltrator with Boomburst on Noivern for the sheer "impregnation" factor.

(On a serious note, Gengar loves his subs and sadly, Boomburst doesn't affect him.)
Just to clarify, the joke is that Infiltrator would be redundant, right? Cause Boomburst would go through subs as is, being sound.

Just to clarify, the joke is that Infiltrator would be redundant, right? Cause Boomburst would go through subs as is, being sound.
Correct. Unless the sub user has the Soundproof ability or is Ghost-type, Boomburst will go through the sub and deal damage to the subber. Of course, if the Boomburst user has Scrappy as their ability (a la Exploud), then they can hit Ghost subbers, and if the Boomburst user has Mold Breaker (I don't think any of them do, though), they can negate Soundproof.

Going to be a buzzkill here. As happy as I am that Chatot and Exploud get this move, let's not forget that NU was already coping pretty well with Zangoose's Guts Facade coming from 115 base Atk, as well as Scrappy Kangaskahn with way more bulk and speed than Exploud. I know it's not a completely apples to apples comparison because both of these damage themselves quite a bit, and it's also worth noting that these were some of the top threats in NU. However, they both eclipse Chatot and Exploud in significant ways. NU also had Nasty Plot users like Jynx and the elemental monkeys running around, though I can't say that Jynx didn't shake things up quite a bit.

Of course anything can happen; theorymon is notoriously unreliable. I wouldn't be the first smogonite to write something off because it inferior in one or two stats while missing a "big picture" that actually would make something useful.

Combined with Exploud's amazing special coverage, I expect Scrappy Boombursts to be a big threat, even off such a low base special attack. With its low 68 base speed it would be possible to run an lagging tail trick room set, which combined with Boomburst's amazing power combined with Explouds coverage of just about anything which resists it looks like the making of an effective trick room sweeper in the low tiers. It's important to remember that this attack is pretty much a hyper beam with very slightly reduced base power but with no recharge, perfect accuracy and all of the benefits of being a sound based move (although there was some uncertainty about this part.)

Of course, there's always Soundproof Pokemon.

I think I put this on the Noivern or Inverse Battle thread.
Soundproof doesn't block this, as of current information.
(So btw Exploud becomes OP in Inverse battles. It makes me shudder.)

How about Poyrgon-Z? Adaptability...
Porygon-Z is not really a sound-based Pokemon so therefore it probably won't get this move. Meloetta is the only one I can actually see getting this move bar the three that do already (and maybe Wigglytuff but that hasn't been proven yet).

'Zactly. The drawback is you have to use Exploud or Chatot to get any use out of it (Noivern's got better things to do with his move slots than something that 2 of the most OU pokes and will never be SE ever)

Its actually featured in a number of sets in the Noivern thread right now. And I have carried it myself for those times when I couldn't hurricane/dragon pulse to mulch.

Porygon-Z is not really a sound-based Pokemon so therefore it probably won't get this move. Meloetta is the only one I can actually see getting this move bar the three that do already (and maybe Wigglytuff but that hasn't been proven yet).
I know, but this is GameFreak. They seem to be fond of the Porygon line somehow, probably after its status in the anime. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they gave this move to them. It does learn Uproar after all.

Actually it wouldn't surprise me either if they gave it Protean, given the gimmick of the Conversion moves.

The other sound pokemon are wigglytuff, chimeco ,krikikitot, seismitoad. All quite lackluster

Wiggly would really appreciate boom burst the problem is that she is in the fairy egg group.

Last edited:
Wait, what? As in, Soundproof doesn't block it in-game or on PS? If it's in-game, then that makes no sense unless Boomburst is in fact not a sound move. If it's on PS, then it's simply a matter of it not being coded in yet. If the former is true, though, that's unfortunate.

What makes you think that you would ever be able to set up Nasty Plot Chatot in ubers? Its weak to rocks and is OHKOd by anything.
Lol, pro buzzkill right here.

Of course I don't suggest to use it in Ubers (although Chatot damage is surprisingly high after and yes, it was a joke), but with Encore it's doable to set-up on anything slower and while pathetically frail, it still has two great immunities - Ghost and Ground, which are possible to abuse. Although parrots movepool is so bad that you technically have only Boomburst as it is illegal with Heat Wave. Boomburst + Pathetically weak Hidden Power. Yeah, I like to use gimmicks once in a while, but they need to somewhat work.

BTW someone mentioned Wigglytuff - With her new Special Attack increase it could work as your STAB attack, as it should hurt even without SpA EVs on support sets. Also Bulky Choice Specs set should be workable, as Normal/Fairy has some good set of resistances to switch into and with Boomburst/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam (why the hell she doesn't learn Moonblast)/Focus Blast it would be good enough for lower tiers. Let's hope she gets it, I would give her a shot even in future UU with this.

Last edited:
I like it, whatever brings diversity to a teams final 6. Normal types are especially underrepresented competitively, with just Blissey making the current OU list.

It is blocked by Soundproof in game. Can't speak for Showdown, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)