Battle Mechanics Research

This might be a question more appropriate for SQSA, but has anyone checked if Spritzee/Aromatisse's Aroma Veil (HA) blocks Taunt only for its allies or for it too?
Similarly, does Healer still heal only allies?
I've tested this, and Aroma Veil (as well as Swirlix's equivalent, Sweet Veil) apply both to the Pokémon itself as well as its partner in doubles.

^Kind of a retarded question, but I just wanted to be sure, does the self effect of Sweet Veil, Aroma Veil and Healer only applies in doubles, ie. does Healer and others still activate in singles?

Edit: Also, does Magnetic Flux work as a field effect? If so, how long does it last? Nevermind, got my answer from the Magnetic Flux's thread.

Edit 2: slowkingsley from Serebiiforums compiled Japanese wiki's Egg Move findings. He has one list for older Pokémon and another for the new Pokémon.

Last edited:
Is Belch unlocked if the berry disappears in any other way other than consumption? (Ex. Knock Off, Incinerate, Bug Bite etc...)
In relation to this, can Belch be used after consuming an opponent's (or partner's) berry with Bug Bite or Pluck?
Should that be the case, can Belch be used after consuming a berry with Bug Bite/Pluck while the user is holding a berry?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
we would ideally want to test this to make sure though. However, lopunny isn't available atm so we can't test it.
We have Golett and we have Pokémon that learn Skill Swap by level up.

I believe it was tested and found that Klutz users can in fact Trick away Assault Vest.

we would ideally want to test this to make sure though. However, lopunny isn't available atm so we can't test it.
That's actually a good point, because I was rewatching one of my battle videos earlier, and in it, I battled a Lopunny (in the Maison) that got poisoned by a Toxic Orb. I can't figure out WHY this would even happen... Either Klutz has been changed, or Game Freak isn't very good at building these movesets.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This was brought up in the Smogcast, and I haven't found an answer to it yet: what is the maximum number of turns that sleep lasts this gen? Last gen, it was three, and in Gen IV, it was four.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can we get more confirmation as to if Overcoat prevents Toxic damage from doing more than 1/8 each turn?

I had a question in my mind. Does Clear Body prevent King's Shield side effect?

I tested this with my Aegislash against a Safari Metang using Zen Headbutt as I use King's Shield. To my prediction. Clear Body indeed does prevent the attack drop from King's Shield.

I apologize if this is already known.

Can we get more confirmation as to if Overcoat prevents Toxic damage from doing more than 1/8 each turn?
Tested using toxic orb overcoat duosion in a wild battle.
Duosion has 88 HP.
Damage: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30.

EDIT: Tried poisoning by an ally in doubles, got similar results.

Overcoat does not influence toxic damage.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Word on Copycat. Copycat can no longer call Roar for use.

Riolu used Roar!
The opposing Krokorok was dragged out!
Riolu used Copycat!
But it failed!

Further testing on other moves to be done.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
What types are the Natural Gift attacks produced by Maranga and Kee berries? I'm assuming Roseli is Fairy-type.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Word on Copycat. Copycat can no longer call Roar for use.

Riolu used Roar!
The opposing Krokorok was dragged out!
Riolu used Copycat!
But it failed!

Further testing on other moves to be done.
Praise the lord!

Though this reminds me, a long time ago I used Copycat and it wouldn't call Fake Tears, yet it called other status moves...I'm thinking maybe stat-dropping moves aren't able to be called? It seems rather selective in itself

I've noticed a glaring inconsistency between what people in the general UT threads are saying about Outrage and Fairy-type switch-ins, and what actually occurs in-game (at least, when playing on Battle Spot) regarding this interaction. I've seen most people stating that when a Fairy switches in on Outrage, the Outrage user will not be locked into the move--that instead, the move is canceled and the user can choose a different move or switch out on the next turn.

However, this has not been my experience on Battle Spot. I have, in fact, been locked into (non-Choiced) Outrage against a Fairy-type switch-in, with the move continuing until the user becomes confused, just as the move would work against a target who is not immune.

Sorry if this is old news; I searched the thread beforehand and didn't see it mentioned, and I haven't seen many people acknowledging this in general either.

I've noticed a glaring inconsistency between what people in the general UT threads are saying about Outrage and Fairy-type switch-ins, and what actually occurs in-game (at least, when playing on Battle Spot) regarding this interaction. I've seen most people stating that when a Fairy switches in on Outrage, the Outrage user will not be locked into the move--that instead, the move is canceled and the user can choose a different move or switch out on the next turn.

However, this has not been my experience on Battle Spot. I have, in fact, been locked into (non-Choiced) Outrage against a Fairy-type switch-in, with the move continuing until the user becomes confused, just as the move would work against a target who is not immune.

Sorry if this is old news; I searched the thread beforehand and didn't see it mentioned, and I haven't seen many people acknowledging this in general either.
How did Thrash/Petal Dance work against Ghosts/Sap Sippers?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Sky Drop prevents Mega Evolution [WVZG-WWWW-WWW2-A8CT].
How did Thrash/Petal Dance work against Ghosts/Sap Sippers?
I just had this happen to me in the Battle Maison. I kinda forgot to save the battle video, but essentially, an Ursaring KO'd my Talonflame with Thrash; after this, I sent in my Gengar. The Ursaring used Thrash once (to no effect), then, without getting confused, used Rest.

Finally: Mummy does not affect Stance Change. Furthermore, Stance Change still activates even if you flinch [5G7W-WWWW-WWW2-A92K].

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, it seems Thrash and Outrage work differently, for some reason. Could both you, Level 51 and Tase test both moves again in Link Battles?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)