Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Nah I was feeling the love for SD Lefties Scizor last gen, I just feel that megazor is only worth it in ubers to counter ekiller better. whereas it prefers either band or lefties in OU. The extra speed still leaves it pretty slow, and the extra bulk is not really worth it in OU imo, especially since it tends to lose most of its health in OU from entry hazards or from unexpected HP Fires, if you're a good player.. That being said mega-zor can tank the odd unexpected HP Fire from weaker pokes now.

Megampharos gets Cotton Guard.. which is a bizarre move, but since it's so bulky, multiplying its defense by 2.5 in 1 turn is probably a solid option, so long as you can make sure it tanks something not called earthquake before it sets up ;)
It seems like it would be okay if you went for total defensive:

Scenario: Choice Scarf Garchomp vs. +6 Def Ampharos with Leftovers
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Ampharos: 60-72 (15.62 - 18.75%) -- possible 8HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Ampharos: 68-84 (17.7 - 21.87%) -- possible 6HKO

0 SpA Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 344-408 (96.08 - 113.96%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Conclusion: It looks like MAmpharos can take quite a few, but we have to factor in that he'll probably get hit by at least one before he hits +6. At least after his set up, he can do enough damage with an uninvested Dragon Pulse to fell Garchomp, so that's pretty sweet! (HP Ice is of course a better option, but at least for the cartdridge's sake, I'm going to go with the easier move.)

Scenario: Choice Scarf Terrakion vs. +6 Def Ampharos with Leftovers
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ampharos: 153-181 (39.84 - 47.13%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 292-344 (90.12 - 106.17%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Conclusion: This is a tough matchup for MAmpharos because Sacred Sword ignores his stat boosts. Even so, If MAmpharos manages to survive two hits, he's guaranteed at least a 2HKO through Thunderbolt, though it does look like Focus Blast has a small chance to KO.

Scenario: Life Orb Mamoswine vs. +6 Def Ampharos with Leftovers
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Ampharos: 78-94 (20.31 - 24.47%) -- possible 6HKO

0 SpA Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 404-476 (111.91 - 131.85%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Conclusion: Ampharos doesn't even fear Mamoswine! He can easily take his Earthquakes and then retaliate with a Focus Blast for an OHKO or Dragon Pulses for a 2HKO.

We do run into a bit of a problem when we're faced with Special Attackers, however.

Scenario: A bunch of common OU 'Mons pounding on +6 Def Ampharos with special attacks
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ampharos: 746-882 (194.27 - 229.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ampharos: 694-819 (180.72 - 213.28%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ampharos: 321-380 (83.59 - 98.95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ampharos: 172-204 (44.79 - 53.12%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO (Ampharos can not OHKO back, but he can 2HKO)
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ampharos: 224-265 (58.33 - 69.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Ampharos has about an 18% chance to 2HKO back)
Conclusion: If your opponent swaps in a special attacker, you're gonna want to book it. Unfortunately, that does mean wasting those two turns of boosting and you've sustaining heavy damage so getting back in will be tough. =(

Overall, I think he could find a niche if your team needs a defensive 'Mon that can also dish out some serious pain, but he's susceptible to being whittled down because his only form of recovery is Leftovers, and it's not a good idea to run both Rest and Cotton Guard on MAmpharos because he really needs Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Miss for coverage. There are probably better options to fill this role.

Nevermind, it sucks, it can't hold Leftovers and has no Recovery.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
He doesn't get lefties.. to be honest it really is hardly a viable option, though if you have a wish passer and a special way (e.g. chansey) then it would be a fascinating way to play semi-stall.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Hey maybe we found a niche super-awesome set that no one realised before :D
It's like my barrier magnezone all over again.

What Mega pokes do you think are viable in uber tier ?

I'm thinking of :
- Mega Mewtwo X/Y
- Mega Absol (stallbreaker)
- Mega Blastoise (spinner)
- Mega Gengar (trapping pokés)
- Mega Mawile

Anything else ?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of mega ampharos but how can you call 6-8 kos bad?
That's against one threat, and you need two turns to set up in order to get to that status, AND people can just say "lol no" to your face and switch to a Special Attacker, essentially wasting your setup.

Mega Ampharos is total baller ultra honorable 420 no scope hashtwag swag kush awesome status, just not for tanking.

I'm thinking of :
- Mega Mewtwo X/Y
- Mega Mawile

Anything else ?
Mega Lucario's got one hell of a statline. It can probably throw its weight around pretty damn well. Same with Mega Blaziken (obviously).

Dear God Mega Mawile is indeed beast. O_O There aren't too many ways to stop that thing conventionally.

- Status. Paralyze it, hope it doesn't move. Burn it, neuter it to simply a base 105 At with Sword Dance WITHOUT Huge Power. -_-' Can't Toxic it... Put it to sleep.
- Phazing. If it relies on Sucker Punch and Swords Dance so much you can at least try to rack up hazard damage? It doesn't get Leftovers.
- Torment. If it can't use Sucker Punch twice in a row you are at least capable of getting an attack in without fearing priority.
- Substitute. It can't damage you with SP when you set up a sub, then you can get an attack in safely behind it.
- Sub/Disable. Gengar would have to run this to come out on top.
- Focus Sash/Sturdy. Any strong Earthquake or Fire sweeper can take it out as long as there are no hazards. Golem of all things is a great counter to Mawile lol.
- Unaware Clefable. The Sword Dancing wouldn't matter and it resists SP but can it still survive with max Df? It can surely KO with Fire Blast, I'd still set up a CM or Sub first though.
- Sturdy Shuckle with Power Swap. Potentially devastating really, and it can use Sticky Web/Stealth Rock so it can certainly fill a spot on a team.

Yeah, that's not too much. And most aren't surefire either. Mega Gengar is at least vulnerable to priority and Pursuit... Possibly Ubers banned.

So if we were to compare how we would use the pokemon with its mega stone vs how we would use it w/o mega stone and another item. I would say Mega Pinsir is definitely worth it with the Aerilate Quick Attack, and boosted stats, it definitely has changed (For the better) in flexibility in usage. However I don't know if its worth being the one Mega Evolution you use on your team...since there are definitely much better Megas out there
Mega Pinsir is ridiculous with Aerilate's confirmed boost.
Quick Attack would get the base 40 power. then it gets 30% boost from Aerilate and then STAB off of Mega Pinsir typing. so it basically goes from base 40 power to 78 power.

and Thrash on it...goes from 120 power to 234 power. It's usage will definitely be improved and changed since it doesnt need Scarf anymore to outspeed several pokes with base 105 speed.

Right now I'm using a
Mega Pinsir
Jolly (252 atk/ 252 speed)
X-scissor
Earthquake
Return (102 power -> 198.9 after Aerilate)
Night Slash

It's been doing pretty well so I'd put him up there. its only "countered" by Gengar with Levitate if you don't run Night Slash.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
On a note about mawile surely the best way to beat it is hit it when it switches in? To be honest whilst it's overwhelmingly powerful, it's outsped by most threats, and sucker punch's PP is underwhelming (8). Non-SD variants are neutered by WoW, and at least with sableye being able to guarantee such a thing the passive damage from that and stalling should work effectively, depending on how your team is built.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I'm thinking of :
- Mega Mewtwo X/Y
- Mega Mawile

Anything else ?
Mmy sucks
Mmx is solid as a cleaner and an excellent lure
Absol has the combination of being frail + weak which is fatal
Why the hell would you use blastoise as a spinner when you have defog
Gengar is hot
Mawile is hard pressed to ko healthy mons + slow + frail on special side.

i am really enjoying using mega mawile it is such a power house very few pokes can take two hits
Mega Lucario is a monster and the best mega for just plowing through teams

my favorite mega and i dunno why is

Mega Scizor
Adamant nature Technition
248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 SpD

Swords Dance
Roost
Bug bite
Bullet Punch

so its standart defensive SD Scizor but as mega it is so much more effective you can take some amazing hits and set up.Ive got to say it is doing some great work for me a long side a heatran

After extensively testing all the megas in OU, I would say these are the best Megas in Order:

Khangaskhan:

This thing hits like a motherfucking truck.

It basically gets a contrary leaf storm on top of 563 attack. Most of the time, the second hit is unnecessary after a +2 boost.
Khangaskkan is the absolute most improved and best mega in OU.

Gengar:

Improved Speed and an amazing ability. The downside is that it's not very powerful and rather frail.

Scizor:

This thing is bulky as hell and a very deadly sword dancer.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
After extensively testing all the megas in OU, I would say these are the best Megas in Order:

Khangaskhan:

This thing hits like a motherfucking truck.

It basically gets a contrary leaf storm on top of 563 attack. Most of the time, the second hit is unnecessary after a +2 boost.
Khangaskkan is the absolute most improved and best mega in OU.

Gengar:

Improved Speed and an amazing ability. The downside is that it's not very powerful and rather frail.

Scizor:

This thing is bulky as hell and a very deadly sword dancer.
... Ok im sorry about it but, hello? Kangashkan > Gengar? Scizor the 3rd best mega?
I wont deny the Kangashkan might be an easy top 5 megas due to the sheer brutality Power Up Punch brings, along with the ablity to bypass subs and top notch bulk. However, there is a reason why Gengarite was already speculated to being banned with the sole view of its base stats and ability, trapping itself is quite the horrible experience for the victim since more often than not youll being doing nothing against the trapper while they take a pokemon w/o you being able to do anything, but yeah the most common (offensive) trappers we had until now were Dugtrio and Magnezone, which CANNOT apply their trappiing to all pokes and are mediocre at handling most others. Gengar not only can do just this (trapping 90% of OU) but it hits as hard as a non-Specs/LO Kyurem W, arguably on the best typings right now with the introduction of Fairy, decent enough bulk and super as ever movepool.

Now on the Scizor statement, i like to overhype the Megas because all of them have potential and bring variety to the table (yes, even you Gyara), however, Scizor, as much as i like his potential as both an offensive and defensive SD late game sweeper, is not nearly in the leagues of monsters such as Gengar, Blaziken or, one you mentioned, Kangashkan. That is because his main role, CB revenge killer and pivot, is completely outclassed by regular sciz, also, people have come up with mind games including Assault Vest Sciz, which canactually do its job reliable at trapping lati@s and non-HP fire gengar, which M sciz cannot do.

... Ok im sorry about it but, hello? Kangashkan > Gengar? Scizor the 3rd best mega?
I wont deny the Kangashkan might be an easy top 5 megas due to the sheer brutality Power Up Punch brings, along with the ablity to bypass subs and top notch bulk. However, there is a reason why Gengarite was already speculated to being banned with the sole view of its base stats and ability, trapping itself is quite the horrible experience for the victim since more often than not youll being doing nothing against the trapper while they take a pokemon w/o you being able to do anything, but yeah the most common (offensive) trappers we had until now were Dugtrio and Magnezone, which CANNOT apply their trappiing to all pokes and are mediocre at handling most others. Gengar not only can do just this (trapping 90% of OU) but it hits as hard as a non-Specs/LO Kyurem W, arguably on the best typings right now with the introduction of Fairy, decent enough bulk and super as ever movepool.

Now on the Scizor statement, i like to overhype the Megas because all of them have potential and bring variety to the table (yes, even you Gyara), however, Scizor, as much as i like his potential as both an offensive and defensive SD late game sweeper, is not nearly in the leagues of monsters such as Gengar, Blaziken or, one you mentioned, Kangashkan. That is because his main role, CB revenge killer and pivot, is completely outclassed by regular sciz, also, people have come up with mind games including Assault Vest Sciz, which canactually do its job reliable at trapping lati@s and non-HP fire gengar, which M sciz cannot do.

I think you are overrating gengar.

Gengar hits nowhere nearly as hard as LO Kyurem W.

Gengar's strongest move has 120 BP.

Kyurem has Draco Meteor (195BP), Ice Beam (135), Fusion Flare(100) on top of LO.

Gengar-mega is actually weaker than LO Gengar.

LO gengar hits 467 attack while Gengar-mega only hits 439 attack.

Gengar-mega is very good, but it's good not because of it offense, but because of its ability to trap.

However, Gengar-mega can only trap after it has already transformed. That means you have to waste a turn or an opportunity to evolve your gengar to trap in the future.

While Gengar-mega can being very useful, Kangashkhan is sheer power.

The reason Scizor mega is useful is because most teams use Scizor more than they use other megas.

Mega Pinsir is ridiculous with Aerilate's confirmed boost.
Quick Attack would get the base 40 power. then it gets 30% boost from Aerilate and then STAB off of Mega Pinsir typing. so it basically goes from base 40 power to 78 power.

and Thrash on it...goes from 120 power to 234 power. It's usage will definitely be improved and changed since it doesnt need Scarf anymore to outspeed several pokes with base 105 speed.

Right now I'm using a
Mega Pinsir
Jolly (252 atk/ 252 speed)
X-scissor
Earthquake
Return (102 power -> 198.9 after Aerilate)
Night Slash

It's been doing pretty well so I'd put him up there. its only "countered" by Gengar with Levitate if you don't run Night Slash.
Is X-Scissor actually helpful? With the fantastic coverage you get with Flying/Ground, it seems like Quick Attack might be more helpful.

Ground/Flying is actually completely ridiculous coverage; they hit literally every one of each other's resistances, so every single grounded Pokemon either gets hit neutrally by Return or super effectively by Earthquake, which is about the same damage. The only things that avoid the ~200 BP punishment are a couple of fliers like Skarmory which don't care about X-Scissor anyway, and the Levitate users that resist Flying: Rotom, Bronzong, and complete trash like Solrock. And even against Rotom and Bronzong, X-Scissor only hits for about 20% more than Return.

Night Slash is even worse, actually. Even against stuff like Gengar, it only hits for 140 BP, while Return still hits neutrally for its ridiculous 198.9 BP. I can't think of a single matchup bar Solrock and Lunatone where it'd actually be an ideal move choice.

Jesus, Mega Pinsir is ridiculous.

an ampharos with good bulk can make use of the mega stone very well to take an extra hit, simply by not activating it the first turn and tanking a hit that would down it if it was dragon, then switching and tanking a hit that would down it if it wasnt.

Kyurem has Draco Meteor (195BP), Ice Beam (135), Fusion Flare(100) on top of LO.

Gengar-mega is very good, but it's good not because of it offense, but because of its ability to trap.

However, Gengar-mega can only trap after it has already transformed. That means you have to waste a turn or an opportunity to evolve your gengar to trap in the future.

The reason Scizor mega is useful is because most teams use Scizor more than they use other megas.
Yes, even though Kyurem-B and M-Gengar fill different roles, and the fact Kyurem is weak to rocks, plenty of priority, and has a wasteland of physical movepool.

And actually modest M-Gengar outdamages LO Gengar and still outspeeds him, and a lot of other threats, modest M-Gengar hits 482 while LO Gengar hits 467.

Also M-Gengar has better bulk, and while you need one turn to set up, you can still hit something hard, scout with sub, etc.

Also, while Mega Scizor is good, it still doesn't outclass regular Scizor, or isn't that used also, mainly because there are other megas out there, and the fact that regular Scizor is the most used anyways

Well so I would like to talk about the less popular mega evolutions.

Mega Ampharos: While it may be underrated due to the fact it still remains with horrible speed, it gained extra bulk and the fact it became Electric/Dragon makes him unique somehow (considering Zekrom is Uber)

Mega Bannete: This one will be better using it's mega stone for sure. The fact it gained Prankster means that moves such as will-o-wisp and trick gained priority, allowing it to have an useful niche in the metagame. It has also gotten a lot of offensive potential with it's boost on attack, so it can use sucker punch and shadow sneak effectively.

Mega Heracross: While losing Moxie or Guts may give you the idea that the unevolved heracross is better, don't let this fool you: Skill Link isn't a bad ability at all especially considering the fact it learns Pin Missile, which got buffed (from 14 to 25 BP per hit), and Rock Blast, as they will be always hitting the maximun amount of times, while granting useful coverage along fighting moves. The better defensive stats is another advantage it has over the normal heracross, allowing it to use some setup moves such as bulk up, and the high increase on attack makes up for the attack loss on using items. Plus, Revenge became another option on it thanks to the speed loss, which means that it won't matter much on moving last every turn, and it will not make heracross to lose Defense and Special defense like Close Combat does (while close combat will always deal constant damage)

Mega Aggron: The boost on defense really makes difference, and the fact it gains filter as ability and the loss of the rock type gives it an useful niche as a wall.

Mega Pinsir: This one deserves a mention as well, as the addition to flying and access to aerilate upon mega evolving makes him very useful, allowing him to use strong STAB moves (Double Edge will be exactly the same as Brave Bird) and priority Quick Attack with STAB is also another good thing.

Last edited:
Once again people are making bad judgments about Megas. LO Gengar has more damage, but is slower and frailer - but he can also switch in on ground moves, while Megagengar cannot. Kyurem W has incredible physical damage, but physical damage is easy to counter - it's called will-o-wisp. Kyurem W is also not 130 base speed. If it were, Kyurem W would be in Uber where it'd belong. I think.

The problem with speculating where pokemone are going to be tier'd... I mean, if we allow any of the megaforms to be in OU, it's going to beg an imporant question - which megas are then necessary to check the others? Banning megagengar potentially bans an deasy counter to megamedicham or megakhangaskhan (not that I'm claiming mgengar IS the best counter, but he could be, as the metagame evolves). If MegaAllakhazam's best counter is MegaGengar, and we ban him outright, we may get a skewed idea of how OU tier should be set up. It may be that all megaforms should be banned to uber play, or that perhaps, as a result of megas being 'balanced' for OU play, certain ubers should be allowed to come down from uber to check these megaforms. I don't know, really. But, MegaGengar is easy beaten if you can bring in someone like Dugtrio when he evolves, because without levitate, you've now arena trapped him and can EQ or sucker punch him to death.

I did want to bring up Mega Pinsir though, since I don't know if anyone has considered him seriously yet.

Firstly, we know from testing that pixelate/refridgerate boost the power of shifted moves. Pinsir gets Aerilate and 155 base attack, making his physical offensive power great. He becomes flying, so he's immune to ground, and since he megaevolves to be flying, he won't take x4 from Stealth Rocks. His defense and special defense are good, his speed kind of kills enthusiasm - only 105 - but I want to entertain what aerilate gives him?

Thrash - 120 power physical flying move with no recoil
Quick Attack - priority stab
Swords Dance
Swagger - Does this hit ghosts now?
Flail - Powered up by aerilate
Close Combat / Super Power
Earthquake

If aerilate gives as good a boost as technician does to Scizor, is it fair to say Pinsir has similar offensive power when using Flying moves like quick attack or Thrash? And with swords dance, he can fill the same role as Scizor. Pinsir is also naturally much speedier, not as speedy as we'd like, but he can outspeed those who might try to beat out mega scizor, and can outspeed megascizor himself, matching his swords dances. Pinsir also does neutral stab damage with Thrash or Quick Attack to scizor. Pinsir is less bulky and with poorer typing than Scizor, but he still feels like'll be compelling in OU, especially since he lacks a x4 weakness to fire (though his weakness to SR makes him unwieldy still I guess).

MManetric is also really exciting. 135 base speed and 135 base SpA? Kind of crazy - he's perfect for OU, especially with intimidate, an ability which will let him force switches and prevent easy counters that try to throw an EQ at him. Notable moves are:

Overheat / Flamethrower
Thunderbolt / Volt Switch (abuse that intimidate by switching frequently)
Ice Fang (Garchomp/Dragonite) / Crunch (Can we come up with a mixed Manetric that can OHKO Megagengar? It outspeeds it, so it's a pretty good counter to consider)
Quick Attack / Roar / Light Screen / Switcheroo

Manetric has amazingly good coverage with Ice Fang / Flamethrower / Voltswitch / Crunch, his attack stat isn't that great, but it's good enough to threaten x4 weaks or those with low defense like MZam and MGengar. It also has some good support moves, like Switcheroo (does this work with megastones?).

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I adore mega pinsir and think it is one of the most threatening megas ever, but there's never time to use it.

Anything faster and moderately bulky can generally survive a quick attack. Waiting til later game works, but 90% of the time i never even got to send it out as something else just cleaning up was easier than setting up pinsir. Especially against slower teams it can be super dangerous but with things like skarm in existance, it needs to wait too long to make a proper impact.

I havent found a single mega that I'm particularly fond of.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Once again people are making bad judgments about Megas. LO Gengar has more damage, but is slower and frailer - but he can also switch in on ground moves, while Megagengar cannot. Kyurem W has incredible physical damage, but physical damage is easy to counter - it's called will-o-wisp. Kyurem W is also not 130 base speed. If it were, Kyurem W would be in Uber where it'd belong. I think.

The problem with speculating where pokemone are going to be tier'd... I mean, if we allow any of the megaforms to be in OU, it's going to beg an imporant question - which megas are then necessary to check the others? Banning megagengar potentially bans an deasy counter to megamedicham or megakhangaskhan (not that I'm claiming mgengar IS the best counter, but he could be, as the metagame evolves). If MegaAllakhazam's best counter is MegaGengar, and we ban him outright, we may get a skewed idea of how OU tier should be set up. It may be that all megaforms should be banned to uber play, or that perhaps, as a result of megas being 'balanced' for OU play, certain ubers should be allowed to come down from uber to check these megaforms. I don't know, really. But, MegaGengar is easy beaten if you can bring in someone like Dugtrio when he evolves, because without levitate, you've now arena trapped him and can EQ or sucker punch him to death.
How the fuck is Mega Gengar easy beaten by Dugtrio? Like there are at least 3 things wrong with this: 1. M gengar has 130 base speed, dugtrio has 120 2. M gengar isnt ohkod by a sucker punch after rocks damage 3. Ghosts are inmune to trapping, tho im not sure im right on this completely, lazy to look it up. 4. just thought this one out, but swtiching dugtrio in on ANYTHING is a bad idea rofl, you can switch him in to a sludge bomb that prolly ohkos and risk the 30% poison, or you can just get hit with 2 consecutive shadow balls because 130 BASE SPEED.

Second, WoW is a counter to physical damage? Fire types exist ya know, not to mention that the distribution of this move is almost solely to the generically offensive fire types, and the sparse ghost types. And i just mentioned kyurem w to make a comparison rofl, which brings me to...

When i said non-Specs/LO kyurem w i meant no specs OR LO lmao. And the argument on mega genagr has been used over and over, in all honesty i find it pathetic, gengar is known to force switches and steal away momentum easily, so, in a common situation, you switch in gengar to a pokemon you know you can force out, your opponent is forced to either stay in and let you get an auto kill, or to switch in to 170 base spA and 130 base speed next turn. Check mate even w/o being mega evolved already, and you only need a free switch in or a threatened poke, which isnt exactly hard for gengar, mega or not.

I didnt get jack of the bolded part roflmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)