CAP 17 CAP 6 - Part 10 - Movepool Poll 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And its time for the very last competitive poll of the CAP 6 process. So, go out and vote!

--------------------

This will be a single bold vote. Make sure that you bold your vote and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
My preferred submission

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Only one option per line.
  • Spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
  • Do not bold portions of words separately. For example, the following BBCode: [NOPARSE]Pikachu[/NOPARSE] will appear like this: Pikachu. That looks like a single bold word, but it isn't. It's two bolded character strings right next to each other. Please don't do this, because it is VERY HARD for mods to find ballots with errors like this.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Just copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and rearrange the options to suit your preference. Select all the options as a group, and wrap it in bold tags. Boom, you're done. If you type out the options manually and bold them individually and make a spelling or formatting mistake, it is your own fault.

So yeah, please read the above. Moderating your posts over something so small is really lame, but we will if we have to.

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

When voting, use only the submitter's name to indicate which entry you support. Here are the options:

Bull of Heaven
Korski

And here are their Final Movepool Submissions:

Final Submission

Each VGM is marked with an asterisk.

1 - Peck
1 - Leer
5 - Foresight
9 - Quick Attack*
13 - Metal Claw
19 - Bide
23 - Pluck
27 - Defog
33 - Steel Wing
37 - Drill Peck*
41 - Detect
47 - Belly Drum*
51 - Bullet Punch*
55 - Hurricane*

Nothing too exciting here I think, but there are a few notable competitive moves. Drill Peck is the alternative Flying STAB for those that don't want the drawback of Acrobatics, since Brave Bird would discourage the use of Belly Drum. Bullet Punch and Quick Attack provide priority, with Cawmodore getting STAB on Bullet Punch and being able to use it on faster threats that would knock it out after a Belly Drum. All of these moves have already been discussed at length, and none of them are particularly controversial, so I doubt I need to say anything more about them.

On to flavour. I think my level-up flavour might have gotten a little out of hand in my last movepool submission, so this time I tried to keep things fairly simple. The two main themes here are the use of Cawmodore's prominent beak (Peck, Pluck, Drill Peck) and the navigational skill that it would need to have as a sailor. Foresight suggest strong eyesight, Defog allows it to see more clearly and Detect refers to the eyesight again while allowing it to notice danger with enough time to evade it. A Cawmodore with Detect definitely won't be crashing into any icebergs. Metal Claw, Steel Wing and Bullet Punch provide the almost-obligatory Steel STAB. I had actually wanted Bullet Punch to be an egg move, but nothing in my desired groups could pass it on. Metal Claw might seem like a stretch to some, but those feathers on the ends of its wings definitely look to me like they could be used for clawing, and if Piplup can use Metal Claw, surely Cawmodore can. Bide suggests an ability to survive in, and even exploit, harsh environments. Just like Cawmodore can handle being battered by the elements, it can take a beating from opposing Pokemon and hit them back even harder. But that's just a vague start; a Cawmodore that manages to learn Hurricane has truly mastered its environment and is ready to unleash that power in battle, even if it is only backed by 65 base SpA.

If anyone's actually wondering about the level pattern, I originally copied it from Skarmory and then made some modifications. After its level 1 moves, Skarmory gets its next move at level 6 and then follows a 3-3-5 pattern in terms of the differences between levels that bring new moves. I didn't think that pattern quite suited this slightly short list, so I tried a few small adjustments to the numbers to see which variation I liked most. The result is a 4-4-6 pattern starting at level 5.
TM06 - Toxic*
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power*
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect*
TM18 - Rain Dance*
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration*
TM27 - Return (functionally identical to Frustration)
TM31 - Brick Break*
TM32 - Double Team
TM40 - Aerial Ace*
TM42 - Facade*
TM44 - Rest*
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM60 - Quash
TM62 - Acrobatics*
TM66 - Payback*
TM67 - Retaliate
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Pluck (repeated from level-up)
TM90 - Substitute*
TM91 - Flash Cannon*
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM02 - Fly
HM04 - Strength

The two notable competitive moves here are Acrobatics and Brick Break. Acrobatics is the most Belly-Drum-friendly move available to Cawmodore, since it provides strong Flying STAB with no recoil and pairs well with either a Sitrus Berry for recovery or a Flying Gem for maximum power. The presence of Acrobatics and absence of Brave Bird also discourage the use of a Choice Band or Life Orb, two common items that don't pair well with Belly Drum. Most importantly, Acrobatics ensures that Cawmodore will be a genuine threat, capable of doing some damage before setting up and tearing through opponents after the setup. Both of these are important, as Cawmodore cannot afford to rely solely on such a risky move as Belly Drum, and the HP loss from Belly Drum combined with the absence of Drain Punch in this movepool mean that Cawmodore might only get one chance to boost and hit hard. While it does also have recovery in the form of Roost, that opens other vulnerabilities that will be discussed in the "tutor" section, and is not reliable enough by itself to compensate for Belly Drum. In short, I think that Acrobatics is necessary for the concept's success, especially without Drain Punch.

As for Brick Break, it provides some coverage on things that resist Acrobatics without being overpowered. Again, Cawmodore is a Pokemon that needs to be able to demolish many opponents quickly in order to be viable, and some sort of Fighting coverage is an important piece of that puzzle. Brick Break's relatively low base power ensures that Cawmodore's most important checks won't be among the aforementioned demolished opponents.

Flavour-wise, this list is largely filled with simple, required and self-explanatory moves. Cawmodore is a tough, straightforward physical battler, not something that uses flashy elemental attacks. As a sailor-like Pokemon, it finds value in being able to clear problematic weather (Sunny Day), but it can also learn how to unleash the power of the storms it's encountered (Rain Dance, Hail). Note that many Water-types learn Hail, and while Cawmodore isn't a Water-type, it's certainly familiar enough with aquatic environments. It's also a Pokemon that commands attention, allowing it to use Swagger and Echoed Voice effectively. Quash is normally given to authoritative-looking Pokemon, and Cawmodore definitely looks like it would be the captain of its ship. Flash Cannon is semi-obligatory Steel STAB, while Rock Smash and Strength demonstrate its physical power.

The two most notable flavour omissions are Sky Drop and Surf. Sky Drop actually has surprisingly narrow distribution. It's not a move that just any bird gets, and Cawmodore looks to me to be more interested in straightforward, direct attacks than in picking an opponent up and dropping it. As for Surf, I never even seriously considered it before I saw other people including it. Sure, it fits the sailor theme well, but frigate birds don't swim and Cawmodore doesn't look like an exception. It's very hard to imagine it carrying a trainer on water.
Ice Punch*
Icy Wind
Iron Head*
Recycle
Roost*
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk*
Snore
Uproar

The one notable competitive move that the tutor list brings to the table is Roost. Ice Punch is also a decent attack, and does a little extra damage to the likes of Dragonite, Gliscor and Landorus-T, but Acrobatics and Bullet Punch handle threats well enough that there isn't much value in giving a moveslot to Ice Punch. I included it mainly as a flavour move. Roost, on the other hand, is the only way for this version of Cawmodore to regain HP without relying on an item, and has a couple of drawbacks to keep it more balanced that Drain Punch. First, relying on Roost prevents Cawmodore from attacking and healing at the same time, meaning it can't negate the drawback of Belly Drum and exploit the benefit in the one turn. Second, I've tried to keep Cawmodore balanced by giving it a slight case of 4MSS, and if Roost is included in a set, it's very likely to come at the cost of either coverage or priority. Finally, Cawmodore's high Speed means that it's likely to use Roost before the opponent moves. While this does bring some obvious benefits, it also means that Cawmodore temporarily gains two very common weaknesses in Fighting and Ground, which limits the number of opportunities is will get for safe recovery. While I've seen it suggested that a Roost + three attacks set will overshadow Belly Drum if Roost is included, I doubt that this is the case. I've already mentioned why a fast Roost is a double-edged sword, and Cawmodore lacks the power to be a major threat in OU without some kind of boost. If it relies on an item for that Boost instead of Belly Drum, it still suffers because Acrobatics is no longer viable.

Drain Punch, as mentioned already, was left out because I think that allowing Cawmodore to put its +6 boost to use while simultaneously negating the drawback of Belly Drum is too much. I believe that if we don't want a boosted Cawmodore to break OU, we should force its trainer to make some reasonably tough decisions, and a move that does so much at once doesn't really fit with that principle. Belly Drum's drawback is what keeps the move balanced, and any options Cawmodore gets to negate it should come with significant drawbacks of their own. I've already demonstrated why Roost is such an option, and I don't believe that Drain Punch is as balanced as Roost.

Both the presence of Recycle and the absence of Endeavor reflect my weakness for odd, gimmicky moves that could have some use but aren't so likely to actually be good. Endeavor would be a great flavour move, but it exploits Belly Drum's drawback in a way with which I'm not comfortable. That's not to say that I think it would be broken, but I don't like the idea of Cawmodore doing a ton of damage to itself and then weakening its checks so easily with Endeavor. As for Recycle, it's probably not worth a moveslot, but with Belly Drum and Acrobatics encouraging the use of consumable items, it could conceivably be useful to grab a little extra recovery from a Sitrus Berry or use that Flying Gem a second time. The ability to get as much use as possible out of a single item seems to me to be something a resourceful sailor like Cawmodore would want to learn.

Icy Wind is yet another flavour move that refers to Cawmodore's native environment, plus it's something that a lot of birds get. The other flavour moves shouldn't need much explanation. Ice Punch gives Cawmodore Ice coverage, once again implicitly tying it to the Water type, and anyone that's seen the supporting art knows that Cawmodore has no trouble throwing a punch.
Baton Pass*
Endure
Focus Energy
Gust
Mega Punch
Mist
Water Gun
Water Sport

Choosing egg groups was easy. Flying is the most obvious one for a bird, and aquatic birds tend to be be in Water 1. Cawmodore shares this egg group pairing with Pelipper and Swanna. Illegal move combinations are a non-issue because the only viable move in this list is Baton Pass. Baton Pass provides a second interesting use for Belly Drum, and is another way that the move can potentially be made viable. Like Cawmodore's other interesting options, though, Baton Pass comes at the cost of a valuable moveslot, meaning that its inclusion will hurt Cawmodore's ability to either sweep by itself or heal itself. Baton Pass can be a difficult move to pull off if the opponent maintains offensive pressure, and does nothing to reduce the difficulty of setting up a Belly Drum. These factors keep the move balanced, but the ability to sometimes give a successful Baton Pass to a powerful physical sweeper might still be just what Cawmodore needs to properly influence the OU metagame.

The other moves add some extra flavour to the movepool. Endure represents Cawmodore's ability to survive a harsh environment. Focus Energy and Mega Punch represent its tough fighting spirit, and as mentioned in the "tutor" section, the supporting art makes it quite clear that Cawmodore can throw a good punch. The other four moves are additional references to Cawmodore's ocean habitat and implicit connections to the Water type. Gust made the list, or rather stayed on it as I was cutting moves to reach the limits, as a reference to Gustern, my favourite name for this Pokemon that didn't win. While Water Sport has no competitive value, it is another example of Cawmodore's resourcefulness in battle, as its inclusion means that some [Volt Absorb] Cawmodore have found a way to negate their only weakness.
VGMs: 23 + 1
Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Baton Pass
Belly Drum
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
Drill Peck
Facade
Flash Cannon
Frustration + Return
Hidden Power
Hurricane
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Payback
Protect
Quick Attack
Rain Dance
Rest
Roost
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Toxic

Non-VGMs: 36
Attract
Bide
Defog
Detect
Double Team
Echoed Voice
Endure
Fly
Focus Energy
Foresight
Giga Impact
Gust
Hail
Hyper Beam
Icy Wind
Leer
Mega Punch
Metal Claw
Mist
Peck
Pluck (appears twice)
Quash
Recycle
Retaliate
Rock Smash
Round
Safeguard
Sky Attack
Snore
Steel Wing
Strength
Sunny Day
Swagger
Uproar
Water Gun
Water Sport

Total Moves: 60

Basically, the idea is to give Cawmodore a decent number of options while preventing it from doing everything in one set and forcing the player to make some choices. Most of the notable moves were included, but if I thought that a single move might do too much, I left it out. The most notable omission is Drain Punch, which means it takes two slots to get both coverage and recovery, and I also left out all priority moves except Bullet Punch and Quick Attack to separate coverage and priority. A Pokemon built around Belly Drum is difficult to balance, since the move tends to fail or succeed completely with no middle ground. My solution is a movepool that has all the tools Cawmodore needs to succeed, but also gives it some 4MSS.
Final Submission

This is a pretty fun art design to build a flavorful movepool around. We've got the obvious Flying-type elements of the frigate bird as well as the necessary Steel overtones and Fighting/Water-type undertones from the nautical theme of the art and name (e.g. Detect, Quick Guard, Rock Smash, Brine, Water Sport, Rain Dance, etc.), all of which I try to emphasize throughout the movepool. On the competitive side, this movepool is predominantly offensive and offers a strategically powerful single coverage type in Fighting, specifically Drain Punch, to supplement Commodore's STAB attacks. There isn't a whole lot of room for variation in movesets here by my estimation, but that is by design. There may be wiggle room between Acrobatics and Drill Peck, and then possibly amongst Bullet Punch, Knock Off, Rest, and Substitute, but I don't expect standard sets to deviate much at all from the Belly Drum / Acrobatics / Drain Punch / Bullet Punch setup.

(15 moves, 5 VGMs)

0. Leer
0. Peck
5. Growl
9. Swift
13. Metal Claw
18. Screech
22. Wing Attack
26. Detect
31. Steel Wing
35. Belly Drum
39. Bullet Punch
44. Brine
48. Tailwind
52. Flash Cannon
58. Hurricane

Here I've tried to bring out the personality of the art design as I see it, that is, of a rough-and-tumble sailor-bird that oozes confidence and doesn't know the meaning of the word "retreat." Cawmodore is always moving forward, never looking back and never backing down from a fight. There's no such thing as "too fast" (Tailwind) or "too strong" (Belly Drum) to Cawmodore, no, in fact, this mighty bird is a surly, salty brawler who will never surrender because it downright refuses to lose.

So, the Level-Up pool here follows a steady transition from more "biological" moves in the early (likely pre-evolved) stage to more "nautical" ones as Cawmodore's brutish and seafaring aspects come to light in later levels. Early moves like Leer, Peck, and Swift are standard fare for birdmons, while Growl and Screech reflect the primary ability, Intimidate, rather well. The primary attacks of these early stages of development are Metal Claw, Wing Attack, and Steel Wing, as they seem to fit incredibly well together in progression and with the understood way this Poke would use its body to attack.

At L35, Cawmodore learns Belly Drum (might be a good place for an evolution!) and thus transitions into the nautical movepool progression. Of these, I especially like the combination of Bullet Punch and Flash Cannon for their connotations of heavy artillery within the naval theme. Brine is a really flavorful addition that brings the water element (salt water, even) that I liked about the overall art design into this section of the movepool. I also added Tailwind and Hurricane to establish a "wind theme" that goes really well with the Flying-typing and the sailor vibe, especially. Hurricane is a good last move here, too, as it demonstrates a sailor's dominance and control over his closest friend and most mortal enemy, the unforgiving sea.
(Flying group; 9 moves, 4 VGMs)

Air Slash - Braviary, Crobat, Farfetch’d, Mandibuzz, Noctowl, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Sigilyph, Skarmory, Swanna, Swellow, Swoobat, Togekiss, Unfezant
Drill Peck - Dodrio, Fearow, Honchkrow, Skarmory, Xatu
Metal Sound - Skarmory
Mirror Move - Altaria, Chatot, Dodrio, Farfetch’d, Fearow, Honchkrow, Mandibuzz, Noctowl, Pidgeot, Sigilyph, Swanna, Swellow, Togekiss
Pursuit - Aerodactyl, Altaria, Crobat, Dodrio, Fearow, Honchkrow, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Skarmory, Staraptor, Swellow
Quick Attack - Archeops, Crobat, Dodrio, Farfetch’d, Fearow, Honchkrow, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Staraptor, Swellow, Unfezant, Xatu
Quick Guard - Archeops
Razor Wind - Fearow, Unfezant
Water Sport - Pelipper, Swanna
Legal Move Combinations:
Air Slash + Drill Peck + Metal Sound + Pursuit (Skarmory)
Air Slash + Pursuit + Quick Attack + Water Sport (Pelipper)
Air Slash + Quick Attack + Razor Wind (Unfezant)
Air Slash + Mirror Move + Quick Attack (Farfetch’d)
Drill Peck + Mirror Move + Pursuit + Quick Attack + Razor Wind (Fearow)
Mirror Move + Water Sport (Swanna)
Quick Attack + Quick Guard (Archeops)

Illegal Move Combinations:
Air Slash + Quick Guard
Drill Peck + Quick Guard + Water Sport
Metal Sound + Mirror Move + Quick Guard
Metal Sound + Quick Guard + Razor Wind
Metal Sound + Quick Attack
Metal Sound + Water Sport
Pursuit + Quick Guard
Razor Wind + Quick Guard + Water Sport

Note: There aren't any notable Egg move illegalities, mostly because there aren't many notable Egg moves.

The Egg pool flavor is a continuation of the themes established in the Level-up pool. The combative, war ship elements are reflected here with the additions of Metal Sound (clang!) and Pursuit. Cawmodore can be bred to learn advanced aerial and fighting techniques like Air Slash, Drill Peck, Mirror Move, and Quick Guard. Also carried over from the LU pool are the nautical theme (Water Sport), the wind theme (Razor Wind), and the need for speed (Quick Attack, Quick Guard).
(28 moves, 14 VGMs)

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Smack Down
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM58 - Sky Drop
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM67 - Retaliate
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM77 - Psych Up
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Pluck
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM02 - Fly
HM03 - Surf
HM04 - Strength

Here (Acrobatics) and in the Tutor pool (Drain Punch), we see how Cawmodore's true power comes from its training. The TM list is an efficient grouping of tricks and techniques that showcase this Pokemon's potential for battle prowess. Cawmodore's aerial skill is on full display here, with access to Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Fly, Pluck, and Sky Drop, in addition to showoffy moves like Swagger and Smack Down that are designed to embarrass lesser opponents. Fighting flavor is reinforced in the TM pool with Brick Break and Rock Smash, while Water flavor comes through with Rain Dance and Surf. And of course Cawmodore learns Strength, as it is the surly bird's most important trait.

There are 28 moves in the TM/HM pool, with Flash Cannon repeating from the Level-Up pool, leaving 27 moves unique to this list.
(10 moves, 5 VGMs)

Block
Drain Punch
Endeavor
Iron Head
Knock Off
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk
Snatch
Snore
Tailwind

Finally, the Tutor moves complete the movepool with some more flavor additions like Block (frigate birds have a crazy wingspan, perfect for cornering and blocking off retreating opponents), Endeavor, and Sky Attack. Other moves I have added for pseudo-gimmicky competitive reasons, like Knock Off for Choice Scarf switch-ins and Snatch for opposing Cawmodore looking to set up.

There are 9 moves in the Tutor pool, with Tailwind repeating from the Level-Up pool, leaving 8 moves unique to this list.
(60 moves, 25 VGMs)

Attacking VGMs (17):

Acrobatics
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
Drain Punch
Drill Peck
Iron Head

Endeavor
Facade
Frustration / Return
Pursuit
Quick Attack

Air Slash
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power
Hurricane
Surf

Non-Attacking VGMs (8):

Belly Drum
Detect / Protect
Knock Off
Rain Dance
Rest
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Toxic

Competitively, I tried to take into account several prevailing attitudes from our previous discussions. First and foremost, I wanted to ensure that Belly Drum would be its best set, as per the second Concept Assessment. This is a fundamental requirement for any movepool submission here, as Belly Drum's general terribleness will cause its usage to fall by the wayside if any other options, at all, are available. There simply aren't enough useful moves in this movepool to fill out a set that has any kind of merit without Belly Drum; there's no Roost, no Baton Pass, no exotic coverage, and no real utility here, which should ensure that viable movesets won't stray from the original intention of our design.

The second attitude from past discussions I strongly considered was the inherent risk/reward nature of Belly Drum, not only on the Pokemon itself, but in using up an entire teamslot on a Belly Drummer to begin with. Despite this Poke's abilities, I still believe that there is an astronomical risk involved in making a BD set work, first in setup and second in execution. On setup, I imagine being handicapped to a team of 5 so that the Belly Drummer could be preserved enough to actually get a shot at setting up later in the match, and that's before even considering the in-battle scenarios wherein the CAP could actually use the move and put it to its intended use. I imagine the specific precautions that will need to be made before committing to a 50% HP sacrifice, crucially the elimination of both Choice Scarfers and stubborn defensive threats like Skarmory. Then, after those precautions are made, there is the actual attempt at boosting, which will need to be done without the opponent simply attacking through it. The strategic requirements of this strategy are far more than every other boosting sweeper has to deal with, which is a big disadvantage for this CAP. These are the main reasons why I believe a big reward is in order for the big risk involved in using this Pokemon; I was not afraid to give Cawmodore both Acrobatics and Drain Punch simply because they do a great job at sweeping that no other move combination can mimic. The checks list is a very important element of most CAP Projects, but I think it is less significant this time around, and that is due to the very nature of relying on Belly Drum to have any kind of effectiveness in OU.

Drain Punch is actually a pretty fun move here. Having ideal 2-move coverage in Flying and Fighting actually leaves room for Bullet Punch in the standard set, which is imo pretty awesome. The healing effect of Drain Punch is less overwhelming than I think a lot of people are assuming. While managing 44-52% to Skarmory at +6, Drain Punch heals back only 31-36% of Cawmodore's HP before it gets Phazed out, which gives it a severely encumbered but still plausible second shot at a sweep. If you want to factor in one Belly Drum and two rounds of Stealth Rock damage only, this will leave you at 56-61% HP on your second attempt, just barely enough to try for another boost if you've taken less than 6-11% in other damage. Remember, Skarmory's best option is to wall and Phaze (Brave Bird: 17.4% - 21.2%), making it a soft check at best. Drain Punch also keeps Ferrothorn from stalling out Cawmodore with Leech Seed and Protect while it sets up, which is nice.

Umm, I included Tailwind for flavor purposes entirely, and as I said before, there is nothing in this movepool that could supplement a utility moveset. A set with Tailwind would be one without cohesion, so the set's effectiveness would be equivalent to the strength of the move itself, which is very small.
--------------------

CAP 6 so far:

Name: Cawmodore

Name: Show Me Your Moves!

General Description: A good user of moves with effects not frequently used in the OU metagame.

Justification: There are many moves in Pokémon with great effects, but they often end up unused. Moves such as Gravity, Snatch, and Safeguard have potential in OU, but they are neglected for several reasons: the moves are apparently overshadowed, have poor distribution, or are inefficient compared to another strategy. This CAP uses a combination of typing, ability, and stats to make these underused moves not only feasible, but also capable.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • What mechanics of Pokémon determine how viable moves are?--not only the Pokémon's typing, stats, and ability, but also its interaction with playstyles and momentum.
  • What new strategies might emerge by giving a new OU Pokémon underused moves?
  • What challenges do Pokémon that use lesser-used moves face compared to ones that use a more standard moveset?
  • If the Pokémon has options of staple OU moves (high-powered STABs, offensive stat-boosting moves, reliable recovery, Substitute), will those moves be useful to it, even if it's specialized toward a separate and distinct strategy?
  • Can underused moves increase other underused moves' viabilities?
  • Can one user of a strategy unrecognized in a metagame massively influence a pre-existing playstyle?
Typing: Steel / Flying
Abilities: Intimidate / Volt Absorb / ???
Stats: 50 HP / 92 Atk / 130 Def / 65 SpA / 75 SpD / 118 Spe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)