Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swoobat is a much better Unaware user, especially as an Azumarill counter.

It has Energy Ball.
252+ Atk Splash Plate Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 154-183 (56 - 66.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Splash Plate Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 307-363 (111.63 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Swoobat Energy Ball vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 148-176 (39.57 - 47.05%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Nice joke.

Quagsire works mostly because of Curse and Recover.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I like the idea of using Quagsire to beat Azu like AOPSUser said, you could curse on the first waterfall, recover on the second, and (if azumarill hasnt switched out already which makes him useless for another sweep attempt) proceed to curse/recover again, KO, and possibly do some damage to the next mon with stab earthquake/waterfall (as long as its not a strong special attacker/grass type). I do like Talonflame though, gale wings is p cool and he's my go to flyer and flamebody egghatcher in-game :)

edit: this all said, Azumarill is definitely a threat to be prepared for and if you don't have the right counter then gg

One important thing to note is that this thing gets belly drum, that along with aqua jet and solid defense completely tears everything apart. If it comes in on a move like outrage it gets a free set up and your team gets sweeped.
Outrage isn't really free set up unless it's choiced though. If you switch in on Outrage, the outrage does nothing and ends, allowing the Dragon to use a high powered non-dragon type move as you attempt a Belly Drum.

Talonflame can revenge kill Azumarill, but it can only switch in in Belly Drum. Granted, if you sacrifice a Pokemon and then send in Talonflame, forcing Azumarill out is enough to ensure that it'll never Belly Drum again, barring a well-timed Wish.

You need a lot more priority then just shadow sneak. Your team is just glaringly weak to azumarrill.

Also never let a yawn go off against something as offensively inept as umbreon.

Azumarill, Heatran, Lati@s form an awesome core. Ive been running the CB set as STAB rough play doesn't have many reliable switch-ins.

You don't actually need Superpower :P

+6 252+ Atk Splash Plate Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 263-310 (74.71 - 88.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(It's a 2HKO even against a 252/252+ spread)

And every other Steel gets mercilessly obliterated by a +6 Waterfall. Even Slowbro is 2HKOed by Waterfall, and...

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 483-568 (122.9 - 144.52%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Fine, I will try to play with Waterfall. Thank you :)

Azumarill, Heatran, Lati@s form an awesome core. Ive been running the CB set as STAB rough play doesn't have many reliable switch-ins.
Sounds really interesting but I wanted to make a team to play online on X/Y, Heatran and Lati@s will be available only in December :-(

Another good counter for Azumarill is Heliolisk with Dry Skin. One of those completely halted my Azumarill Belly Drum sweeps because not only was it immune to Aqua Jet, it was just faster then me. Toxicroak would also be a surefire counter with Dry Skin.

It looks like azumarill will be the most successful belly drum user in the entire game, you can see how great it will be just by comparing it to extreme killer linoone a pokemon that for some reason ended up NU but can be used successfully up to UU with some dual screen support .

One advantage Azumarill gets with its typing combination is resisting some of the most commonly-used priority moves, such as Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, Sucker Punch and Mach Punch

As far as I've seen, Talonflame is the only pokémon that can actually 2HKO Azumarill with a priority move and no hazards

Scizor can 2HKO with hazards but it needs to speed-creep Azumarill

Dragonite's Extremespeed can also do so, but not only it needs a Choice Band and SR (And even then it's not guaranteed) but a +6 Mystic Water Waterfall+Aqua Jet can actually KO it. And without Multiscale it's outright OHKOed

Perhaps Focus Sash Alakazam as a revenge killer?

Is there any consensus on how much HP/speed is required to make use of a Sitrus Berry while still outspeeding threats like Scizor @ 50?
Will 132 HP / 124 Spe do?

Is there any consensus on how much HP/speed is required to make use of a Sitrus Berry while still outspeeding threats like Scizor @ 50?
Will 132 HP / 124 Spe do?
Azumarill Min-Max HP: 310-404
Max IV HP investment: +31 HP
Max EV HP investment: +63 HP

310 min HP + 31 max IV investment + 33 EV investment (132/4) = 374 HP @Lv100

(374 HP)/2 = 187 HP. Since this is not a number with a decimal, it can use Belly Drum and the Sitrus Berry will automatically activate and restore Azumarill's HP by 93 points (93.5 rounded down).

EDIT: At level 50, Adamant Azumarill with 31 HP IV investment and 132 HP EV investment has 192 HP total...allowing Azumarill to use Sitrus Berry on 3DS WiFi battles as well.

Last edited:
Just done breeding for the first time and have finally got a Adamant, Huge Power Marill with 31 IVs in Attack, Defense and Speed (i wish i had HP over the speed) and it has Belly Drum and Aqua Jet. I am really quite happy! I have loads of others if anyone is interested?
I'd love one if you have any left!

Or if anyone has an extra they wouldn't mind me having! I'd really appreciate it, thank you.

Last edited:
I've been using azumarill successfully as the core sweeper of my team. Basic strat is set up screens with klefki, build some speed boosts with scolipede, pass them to azumarill, belly drum and lol from there.

4 Def, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Adamant
Huge Power
Sitrus Berry

Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough

The odd HP number allows sitrus berry to activate after a BD, taking it right back to 80%. STAB is all you need after +6. 1 Speed boost gets azumarill to 300 speed, 2 gets it to a blazing 400, meaning you don't have to worry about revenge killers since they'll fall to aqua jet anyway. If this thing gets set up, it's basically gg from there, it takes awhile but is unstoppable when it gets going, and even with no investment its great typing allows it to survive most attack with 80% after the sitrus berry

I understand Tentacruel is prob. a better counter but has anyone given Qwilfish any use to stop Azu? Its physical defence is not leagues better than Tentacruel's but it also packs Intimidate to soften the blow even more. Qwil also has access to Poison Jab, resists Aqua Jet, Play Rough, and Power-Up Punch and Pain Split can be used as a way for it heal off of Azu's nice HP stat.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The best Azumarill counter is to get your hazards up and keep attacking. It's not threatening enough to make a lasting impression in battle with that abysmal speed and average bulk. Its best use right now is to check Blaziken.

The best Azumarill counter is to get your hazards up and keep attacking. It's not threatening enough to make a lasting impression in battle with that abysmal speed and average bulk. Its best use right now is to check Blaziken.
100/80/80 is not really average. If anything, it's pretty bulky.

Also, Aqua Jet is enough. And, again, it's bulky. Let's not forget that it resists Bug/Fire/Dark/Ice/Water and immune to Dragon. To say that it's only use is to check Blaziken seems a bit silly to me.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you're using Splash Plate, I'd slash Superpower with Substitute so you can beat Aegislash when it King's Shield, since bluffing CB is easy. (I've been using Splash Plate Azumaril with SD BatonPass Blaziken, SashStickyweb Galvantula, and Dragon Dance MegaTTar; it's been working out pretty well as a hilariously fun gimmick team). Substitute has been a lifesaver on that team, especially since I outrun a few things with +1 Spe + Sticky Web, which is pretty hilarious.

Most Aegislash users realize people carry Bellyzurill now, so your best chance is use belly drum AGAIN so you don't lose attack and then attack Aegislash.

Even if they do Shadow Sneak on your %50 azumarill, Azumarill should be able to survive that and either attack or Belly Drum again as they will most likely King Shield that turn.

Again, its the prediction of the Aegislash is how Azumarill will win.

And to the requests, please Private Message me with your Friend Codes so I can add you. My Friend Code should now be in my signature.

By the way, my ingame name is Koda so you know its me :)

Again, I am happy to help anyone.

P.S. Even if you are not able to get the Marill, I am going to breed some more with my 5 IV Azumarill with a 4IV, so I will probably get a box full lol.

I am giving away Marills with 4IVs in either HP, Attack, Def, Special Def, and Speed.

And Volcarona, what with how easy it is to remove hazards with Defog now.

Even then, Azumarill has a good set of resistances and enough bulk (100/80/80 is not average) to take hits and usually OHKO back, and can act as an emergency answer to a lot of things. And Aqua Jet has tremendous utility by itself.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
special attack got buffed to 60, no reason to use huge power anymore
a double resisty to fire and ice is better
Yes, let's rely on Base 60 Special Attack instead of the equivalent of Base 149 Attack from the Huge Power boost. The double resist to Fire and Ice won't matter if Azumarill cannot do jack all back and has no reliable recovery.

I may very well be responding to a troll, but the Base 149 Attack bit (with max investment!) I feel should be thrown out there for people who presume it only gives Azu base 100.

Last edited:
Choice Band and Belly Drum have different uses. Drum is a one-use sweeper, so you had better get rid of all its counters first. Band is a wallbreaker, and can switch in a lot more and chips away at opponents. In particular, Band uses Superpower to get rid of some Steels like Ferrothorn that Drum requires gone first.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Huge Power
Adamant EVs 252 Atk, 252 HP

Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Waterfall
Belly Drum

So that's the best set for Azumarill?

Should I switch Waterfall with Superpower or not?
And Splash Plate is the item to go or should I switch to something else?

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Huge Power

Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Waterfall
Belly Drum

You don't need Superpower because even Steels that resist Waterfall (AKA Ferrothorn) take a lot of damage from it

There's also the possibility of a Sitrus Berry, just in case an attack deals less than 75% damage to Azumarill, so that it can still Belly Drum (Or just regaining HP right after Belly Drum if you give it an odd HP stat)

choice specs is clearly gonna take the meta by storm - are you the troll?
If only Azumarill could learn Nasty Plot - it would be unstoppable monster with whooping 438 (with Timid) or 480 (Modest) SpA points to rip everything to shreds. Oh well, GameFreak still didn't show enough love to our fairy water mouse.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Huge Power

Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Waterfall
Belly Drum

I don't think you really need Azumarill as you handle all versions of Ferrothorn unless they are really physically bulky. Also it takes really heavy damage from +6 Waterfall anyway. For item - Splash plate is indeed the best option. BTW anyone tested classic SubPunch set but with Play Rough in ? Focus Punch/Waterfall/Play Rough/Aqua Jet or Toxic ? I think it should still work fine taking into account how Azumarills Aqua Jet forces switches really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)