Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To add to the list of chess players here, I've got a USCF rating of 1955. That puts me in the top three thousand in the US, no idea in the world, since the world uses the FIDE system. I was state grade level champion many times growing up. Oh and in 3rd grade, in my second rated tournament ever, I nearly won nationals, losing only to the winner (whose name I still remember to this day.) I had 4 points of 4 through two days, and it was my birthday. Being the idiot little shit of an 8 year old that I was, I stayed up basically all night and then played the worst game I will ever play in round 5 vs the eventual winner. Recovered to win round 6, but it was too late. C'est la vie.

In other nerdy pursuits, I went to the state spelling and geography bees and I won the state science fair in the botany category. Recently, after putting up a monstrous score on the online test, I was invited for an in-person tryout for the Jeopardy college tournament, though I didn't quite make the cut :(

Also, I have never lost a game of Quarto (against a human that is... computers are freakish) though it's been a while since I've played.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've gotten to a pretty high level in basketball (represented my state and went to nationals) and my djing (supported some of the biggest acts in the world and am appearing on the most listened to radio station in my city next week). I think at this stage though I'd be hard pressed to find anything I'm one of the best at even nationally, although the djing might be trending in that direction over the next few years with hard work

I set out to be the best white belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in my area when I started training. That fell by the wayside when finances began to become an issue and I couldn't afford $130 a month for constant training. I missed out on a tournament in October that I really wanted to compete and win a medal in, which I was good enough to do, but I just didn't have the means to train and be reasonably prepared for it. Now that things are evening back out, when school starts back up I'll be able to afford training again, and if things remain constant this time around I'll compete to win. My blue belt friend and I are actually planning a roadtrip tour for a few tournaments across the country next year.

So in short, not the best, by any means. But there are going to be some sore elbows and throats come next year. Mark my words.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
following on from my previous post about being good at clicking circles, if you click the link in my signature you'll notice that overnight I climbed about 2000 spots globally and about 20 spots in the UK rankings.

I'm decent enough at Hearthstone to make some cash money dollars by playing it. I would consider myself a foremost Hearthstone expert if such a thing were possible.

I am the #1 Gavatri player in a game called Void Rim that MAYBE ten people total have played. I consider this my crowning accomplishment.

I am also THE BEST at watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. I could tell you things. Things about ANIME.

Will edit with additional personal achievements as I recall them.

I guess I'm one of the better DDR players in my country. Even though I'm not the best I am close...
I used to be really good in high school. I probably sucked compared to pro players, but I impressed my friends at least. I did 9-footers regularly but never really had the stamina for the 10-footers... actually, having low stamina was really the only thing that prevented me from being really good.

I haven't played for a while, though.

I used to be really good in high school. I probably sucked compared to pro players, but I impressed my friends at least. I did 9-footers regularly but never really had the stamina for the 10-footers... actually, having low stamina was really the only thing that prevented me from being really good.

I haven't played for a while, though.
Stamina isn't really much of a player in 10 footers, it's all in minimizing your steps in order to use less energy. Say in max 300 there a whole ton of 16th note streams, if you take large steps they become twice as tiring, keeping your feet as close to the center as possible is how you beat stuff. As for crossovers, they are really a lot less stamina draining if you play them flat footed, despite them being easier on your toes.

In primary school year 5 me and 3 others won the 'Sports Quiz' in our local local area (very regionalised, a tiny area). Basically a rip off of 'A Question of Sport'.

And that's about it in the limits of my life.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just made a breakfast burrito so good I cried when I took my first bite. Five kinds of pepper, cane sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and peach vodka fried into the egg, then topped with melted aged gouda and bacon. Never have I savored something so much.

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
im a jack of all trades master of none so im average at everything ;~;

Spelling is extremely easy for me, though. I can spell most words without even trying - even those complex words. When I got spelling tests back in elementary school, I aced that shit. Every. Single. Time.

I never bothered doing spelling bees though :x

@above I'm a shit cook. I burn everything that comes in contact with me :I

When I was 9 I began training in Judo. I never enjoyed it when I started, but eventually I grew to endure the sessions. I participated in many state and a few national tournaments. After several years in training, I consistently come 1st in many state tournaments. However as I got older, I noticed other kids got a lot taller and heavier than me. Every tournament I would have to verse other practitioners that were at least 5-10kg heavier than me (at one point, I had to verse a guy 40kg heavier than me). Because our Judo scene here wasn't as popular as other Martial Arts, there was never anyone close to my weight, and when they were, they were a few years younger and inexperienced to me. I even had to start training in adult classes in my early teens because the other practitioners around my level quit, and there were only little kids left in the junior classes.

After a bit over 9 years in training I discontinued Judo earlier this year. I lost general interest in traditional martial arts, and developed a very strict sense of what real fighting is (I despise everything MMA). Perhaps in the future I will go back to receive my black belt, but for now I think I need to get fit again and gain the weight I lost.

At one point I was ranked #269 in the world in Score/Minute at Call of Duty: Black Ops (big achievement; I know). I was also "recruited" to a 30-5 Ghost Recon: Future Soldier team but was unable to test my mettle because I was just about to go to college ;-;

I also finished 18th in the state in my division (Honors aka top one) for Academic Decathlon no clue what my scores were though...my school's valedictorian finished 14th.

I also finished 20th in the nation for the Westpoint Bridge Designer 2012 competition (or whatever it was called; I can't remember). My partner and I choked pretty hard in the national competition :/

In other words I'm not special :(

great thread, pokemon really seems to attract people of hella impressive faculty

this is nowhere near an accomplishment, and i'm only going to mention this in the hopes that chaos sees this and appreciates me, but i'm fairly certain that i was the first person to notice an extremely obscure gameplay mechanic in star ocean: the second story, twelve or so years after its release. a few years ago, after playing the game pretty consistently for over a decade, i noticed that if you stood in front of npc's whom were trying to pace back and forth, they would eventually turn around and begin to walk in the opposite direction. if you ran and interrupted them from the opposite direction afterwards, they would again turn around and start walking. if you did this enough times, most characters would emote angrily and tell you off. in some instances they would give you items. one npc gives you a food item that's impossible to cook, and up until then only one copy of which was known to exist in the game (and it required bizarrely precise timing and much backtracking to acquire). this discovery was fairly important to the few nerds who were into doing perfect games.

oh also i work as a stylist in one of the fashion capitals of the world so that's kind of cool if you ignore the fact that aesthetic acumen is pretty subjective and hard to qualify as 'best' (but i assure you i am the best at telling people what to wear)

Last edited:
I don't know what I'm one of the best in the world at... I tend to just do okay through everything, and seems to work.

Fusxfaranto

gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
My sole claim to fame is being in the top 20 in the global leaderboard for DX mode of DDD:DX (link). Yes, I am a very accomplished individual indeed.

Fuck the p in raspberry. That's all I have to say.

I placed second in my county in Mock Trial debate senior year of High School, and that means nothing since it was a shitty county, that was everyone's first time doing Mock Trial, and we don't go to actual competitions. Still, it goes on the resume. Besides that, and that's not even an accomplishment, I'm overwhelmingly average.

Last edited:
In my prime I was probably one of, if not the, best Minstrel players in Ragnarok Online. I was an active member of some of the biggest and strongest guilds to ever play the game, and was the key support player on my Minstrel. The class itself got very little recognition, but I was definitely one of the top.

Offline, I'd won multiple Cub Car rallies in Ontario, Canada. I also won Voter's Choice in Scout Trucks for appearance. (Cubs being like scouts for younger people. Car/Trucks being things made out of wood with regulations that one would race down an incline.) I also placed top 3 at the worst in my town, regularly winning.

I was also a high-school level reader when I was 8 years old. Though relative reading level is not so prodigious in my current mid-20s. I'm also insanely good at not following through with things.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm actually really close to getting every card in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses, and have a guide written up on soft-resetting and using the reincarnation feature to get most of them. I have only like 20 more to go (including actually holding most fusion cards and discluding holding the ritual cards), but I gave up with school starting and I got kinda bored with it.

Me and my brother also had one of the highest, if not the highest, hit combos in Tales of Symphonia for a grand total of one day until some jerk face blew us out of the water exactly one day later. idr what message board we confirmed that we had the highest on anymore or even how high it was but it felt p. good at the time, I just remember we used a team of Lloyd, Zelos, Sheena, and Regal to do it. (now the score is not even impressive iirc ;-;)

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fuck the p in raspberry. That's all I have to say.

I placed second in my county in Mock Trial debate senior year of High School, and that means nothing since it was a shitty county, that was everyone's first time doing Mock Trial, and we don't go to actual competitions. Still, it goes on the resume. Besides that, and that's not even an accomplishment, I'm overwhelmingly average.
uhhhhhhhhhhh moco is not shitty u faglord -.-

i got a 2400 on the sat ez i guess that's something

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Hmmm... not necessarily the best in the world,
but my type of absolute pitch includes being able to sing a note when someone points at the keyboard, naming notes of chords of up to 3 notes accurately (over 90% accuracy), chords with 4 notes without inversion 70% accuracy.

I think that's something.

Also, I tend to get along well with ponies.
A lot of lazy ones that normally require whipping simply won't be lazy even without me carrying a whip.
They usually try their best to please me.
Some times they want to bargain with me for more hay or carrots, but that's when I'm not inside a (riding) lesson or exam.
The coaches know they love me too.

In primary school I was one of those overachievers that enters every extracurricular academic competition, no matter how big or small, and I have a substantial amount of national/state-level medals and certificates and shit packed away somewhere. If I got second place I would cry so I stopped entering them once I got into high school. I'm not saying I'm one of the smartest people in the country; I was just really good at these competitions (spelling, writing, English, science, generalised academic tests, etc.) for my age level.

The ones posted so far (zfs's is especially really cool -- I think having a wide general knowledge is a particularly desirable attribute, and I hope you'll make heaps of money from game shows :D) are awesome. There are a lot of interesting people on Smogon!
I got a medal for coming first in a Geography one of those. And a fair few top bands. But I also stopped at about year 9 because I cbf any more.

Apart from that, when I was younger and wiser I qualified for various Poker tournaments but had to back out of my positions because I was under 18 at the time. I could have gone to Aussie millions twice for free if I was older.

Oh forgot, Worms used to be one of the best MKDS players in Australia and after the times we played against each other we're still even on wins.

uhhhhhhhhhhh moco is not shitty u faglord -.-

i got a 2400 on the sat ez i guess that's something
you a moco boy mate? if you know anything of it, their debate is shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

i just worded my post wrong, i love the county, it just didn't have strong debate / knew what it was doing at all

also i got a 2370 damn you beat me :(

In my prime I was probably one of, if not the, best Minstrel players in Ragnarok Online. I was an active member of some of the biggest and strongest guilds to ever play the game, and was the key support player on my Minstrel. The class itself got very little recognition, but I was definitely one of the top.

Offline, I'd won multiple Cub Car rallies in Ontario, Canada. I also won Voter's Choice in Scout Trucks for appearance. (Cubs being like scouts for younger people. Car/Trucks being things made out of wood with regulations that one would race down an incline.) I also placed top 3 at the worst in my town, regularly winning.

I was also a high-school level reader when I was 8 years old. Though relative reading level is not so prodigious in my current mid-20s. I'm also insanely good at not following through with things.
Oh, yeah, that's something I was good at - I was reading fluently at age 4 before I started school - I was the only person at my primary school in Kindergarten who could, and one of two at my pre-school.

I guess I'd go with push ups. I've attempted the world record for push ups in a minute and got 110 out of 140. I also can do like 20 push ups with no legs or 1 leg 1 arm. I can beat most people in a push up contest while they use two arms and I use just my right. I also like to spin around while on just my hands. For those who know what I am talking about, I do turtles, crickets, jackhammers, darkhammers, buddha spins and UFOs.
The holy grail of push up challenges for me would be 1 arm, no legs. I can do 1 if I grab my forearm for stability, but I'd like to be able to do it with my arm behind my back.

Oh and math. I'm sort of a savant when it comes to math... I used to score in the 99th percentile(which is the highest I think because you can't have a 100th if more than 1 person got a perfect score) in standardized tests. I got 2 questions wrong on the math part of the SAT and cried rofl. I went up to AP calc 2 in high school. A huge problem with math for me was that I could know the answers before my brain could tell me how I knew the answer. I would come up with the answer in less than a second(most students took several minutes) and be accused of cheating. I would get marked down constantly for not showing all of my work because I would do 20 step problems in my head.
So yeaa I was one of those guys with good SAT scores and an abomination of a GPA that refused to go to college.

Edit: so I guess my actual scores aren't so amazing for this forum lol. I guess the fact that I got answers due to blind intuition a lot of the time is cool, plus push ups!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)