Yveltal (HEAVILY WIP)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Need to figure out speed tiers....

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>Great STABs. There are very little Pokemon that resist them</li>
<li>Ghost resist, Psychic immune, Ground immune, not fighting weak </li>
<li>Dark Aura increases the power of its Dark-type moves to respectable amount.</li>
<li>Powerful offensive stats and respectable bulk. Can perform both offensive and defensive feats</li>
<li>Has by far the strongest priority in the game</li>
<li>Small but concise movepool. When combined with its stats, Yveltal is surprisingly versatile</li>
<li>Great sustain</li>
<li>Possesses tools that can help cover up any uninvested stats (except for Special Attack, which is where most of its movepool is anyways)</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Stealth Rock weakness kinda sucks. Electric, Fairy, and Ice weakness kinda suck too</li>
<li>Not a faceroll Pokemon</li>
<li>Doesn't resist a lot of types</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
<p>Yveltal @ Life Orb<br />
Ability: Dark Aura<br />
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Sucker Punch<br />
- Taunt / Substitute / Focus Blast / Roost</p>

<p>What better way is there to take advantage of Steels no longer resisting Dark-type than to abuse Yveltal's STABs and flexibility? Dark Pulse, combined with Dark Aura's respectable 33% boost, can rip apart virtually anything that does not resist it - and let's be honest, there aren't many. Those that do resist Dark Pulse will take heavy punishment from Oblivion Wing. Oblivion Wing also provides Yveltal with an insane amount of sustain, making it surprisingly tough to outduel and bring down. Faster Pokemon who attempt to defeat it may keel over at the brutal force of its Sucker Punch, which is unmatched in power when it comes to priority attacks (short of 252+ Atk Talonflame's Brave Bird, meaning that Yveltal could still overpower that with some investment of its own). Yveltal's fourth slot comes down to preference and fears. Tyranitar being an issue? No problem - send it, and other fellow Dark-type brethrens to their graves with Focus Blast. Hate predicting switches and status moves? Substitute is perfect for you. Substitute also synergizes extremely well with the sudden priority damage from Sucker Punch and the healing from Oblivion Wing. Finally, Roost gives even more sustain, should Oblivion Wing be insufficient.</p>

<p>As this set primarily focuses on Special Attacking, maximizing Special Attack investment is the ideal approach. Even without investment, Sucker Punch is still extremely powerful and can 2HKO the likes of Garchomp and Scizor. Maximum Speed and Hasty allows it to outrun Adamant Mega Lucario, Timid Hydreigon, Jolly Haxorus, and Jolly Mega Garchomp. Keep in mind that, due to Sucker Punch, Yveltal does not actually need maximum Speed investment. Feel free to run a slower variant to maximize its offenses with Mild nature as you see fit. With maximum Attack investment, Yveltal can OHKO Excadrill with Sucker Punch</p>

<p>Yveltal @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD<br />
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)<br />
- Foul Play<br />
- Taunt<br />
- Toxic<br />
- Roost</p>

<p>Earlier in this thread I mentioned that Yveltal is not a one-dimensional Pokemon, and I will show you why. This set takes on a completely different approach from the previous set and focuses on Yveltal's strong walling and stalling powers. 126 base HP and 98 base Special Defense are certainly high enough to tank some of the strongest hits in the metagame. To demonstrate its bulk, Mega Mewtwo Y's Ice Beam tops at 50.6% damage, and Jolteon's STABed Thunderbolt maxes out at 50% damage. Combined with Toxic's residual damage, Yveltal can stall out a number of special attackers with Roost. Taunt takes care of slower enemies that may attempt to status it, such as Ferrothorn and Blissey. Enemies thinking that they can strike through Yveltal's weaker physical defense will be punished by its Dark Aura boosted Foul Play, which packs more than enough power to 2HKO Adamant Mega Lucario</p>

<p>Maximum investment in HP and Special Defense is just about necessary in order to turn Yveltal into a tank. Don't expect to take Xerneas' Moonblasts, however. </p>

<p>Yveltal @ Choice Specs<br />
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
Timid / Modest Nature (+Spe/+SpA, -Atk)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Focus Blast<br />
- Hurricane</p>

<p>Choice Specs takes Yveltal's raw power to a whole new level. Free from Life Orb's recoil, this set aims to cause potentially greater destruction while topping off Yveltal's health more easily - at the cost of flexibility. Dark Pulse can now 2HKO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rock damage, while Oblivion Wing now solidly 3HKOes. Oblivion Wing now 2HKOes Xerneas and OHKOes Mega Lucario, and Focus Blast now has a great chance of OHKOing specially defensive Mega Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. One new move has been added to its repertoire and it's Hurricane. With rain support from Politoed, Yveltal can wreck serious havoc with it, now being able to 2HKO even the most specially bulky Togekiss.</p>

<p>EVs are for the most part just straightforward 252/252 offense and speed, but may change based on nature. The choice of nature is mostly preference - Yveltal is fast enough to outrun some of the most dangerous threats with Timid, but with Modest, Yveltal can make better use of its bulk. Yveltal can also take advantage of Oblivion Wing if it is slower, by tanking the hit first and recovering it all off.</p>

<p>Yveltal @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: ???<br />
??? Nature (+???, - Atk) <br />
- Substitute<br />
- Disable<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Dark Pulse</p>

<p>Would prefer if someone else writes this</p>

<p>Yveltal @ Assault Vest<br />
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD<br />
Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Sucker Punch<br />
- Focus Blast / Foul Play</p>

<p>Assault Vest puts together Yveltal's strong offensive and tanking abilities in one convenient set. Thanks to Oblivion Wing, Yveltal can sustain without having Roost, allowing to make great use of the special defense provided by Assault Vest. Sucker Punch can still OHKO Mega Mewtwo Y and be a great revenging tool in general, even though it is not as strong. To give an idea of how strong Yveltal's special defense is with Assault Vest, Mega Mewtwo Y's Ice Beam maxes out at 44% damage. Dark Pulse remains a staple move for consistent damage output. Focus Blast is for Tyranitar and Foul Play follows the same logic as it was on the Specially Defensive set - to take down enemies that attempt to exploit its weaker physical defense stat. </p>

<p>Maximum EVs in Special Attack and Special Defense allow it to make full use of both its Special Attacking prowess and Assault Vest. Since this set focuses more on tanking than the Life Orb set, it can not afford to invest in Speed. Mild is preferred over Quiet here so Yveltal can outrun Pokemon such as Gliscor and some Rotom-W who may want to speed creep.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Yveltal is probably the best user of Weakness Policy in the game due to its overall strong stats, priority in Sucker Punch, and the ability to heal off damage with Oblivion Wing. Given that Yveltal posses some common, but not necessarily crippling weaknesses, it can be a devastating sweeper. Furthermore, the item consumption opens up Acrobatics as a move option. As Flying Gem is currently not found, Yveltal must either consume an item or be itemless to make use of it. However, Acrobatics batters up most Fairy type Pokemon and Blissey/Chansey so it's not a bad option if you wish to go itemless.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf is also a decent option for revenging. Yveltal can revenge kill both Mewtwo formes and Mega Gengar. However, with access to Sucker Punch, it may not be the most appealing option. Yveltal can also fit Steel Wing to on the Life Orb set to bruise Tyranitar and Fairy-type Pokemon such as Togekiss, Xerneas, and Carbink. Finally, U-turn is a great move in general and can make Yveltal hard to catch.</p>

[Teammates]
<li>Aegislash, Scizor, Ferrothorn, other Ubers </li>

[Checks and Counters]
<li>Xerneas, Togekiss, Tyranitar, Clefable, Florges/Sylveon .___., Blissey depending on set</li>

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
224 Speed Mild lets you beat Modest Kyu-W and Adamant Rayquaza. That's the fastest non-Scarf Yveltal needs to go IMO. If you're not concerned about that I would just maximize bulk with just enough speed to get past maybe min Speed Jirachi.

Make sure you mention under pros Yveltal is probably the best Arceus-Ghost check in the game! Also I'd mention Hurricane on the LO set since it lets you bust stuff like Togekiss with rain support. Yveltal can also check Arceus-Grass excellently so he can work pretty nicely on a rain team, making Hurricane a bit more appealing. Fine with OW being first slash though.

As I said in the Uncharted Territories thread, I know jack-shit about Ubers. However, what about a fully special-attacking 3 Attacks set?

EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spe<br />
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk) / Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Focus Blast<br />
- Substitute / Roost</p>

EVs maximize damage dealt while outspeeding Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W if Modest is taken, while instead outspeeding their +Speed variants if Jolly is taken. 32 HP allows for five Substitutes and allows Yveltal to switch into Stealth Rock four times without dying. Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing are obligitory STAB. Focus Blast is needed to hit Tyranitar/Ferrothorn super-effectively. Substitute, while generally not the best option with Life Orb, actually works fairly well thanks to Oblivion Wing; however, Roost can be taken instead if you prefer.

Also, Tyranitar is only a check; it loses easily if Yveltal has Focus Blast, which it generally should in my opinion.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This would be a lot easier if Pokebank mons are allowed. Unfortunately, with the restrictions in XY availability, coming up with a speed benchmark is difficult

sp def yvet: Taunt/toxic/foul play/roost (this thing fucking walls half the metagame)
life orb yvet mixed attacking stats, probably max satk (doesn't need much physical atk investment to get 2hkos with sucker): sucker punch/foul play/oblivion wing/(uturn, taunt, roost, dark pulse, focus blast)

foul play is just so good now that dark moves are unresisted by steel, you can hit things like genesect that might want to switch in on oblivion wing for ridiculous damage, ohko arc ghost, rape aegislash (not sure if dark pulse does more?), taunt lets you beat bulky arceus forms sometimes, etc etc.

Jibaku

Following the things that affect Foul Play, Dark Aura -should- boost Foul Play.

could use a second check though.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This would be a lot easier if Pokebank mons are allowed. Unfortunately, with the restrictions in XY availability, coming up with a speed benchmark is difficult
The most reasonable benchmark would be w/e is needed to outspeed jolly tytar and/or whatever xern's ideal speed would be on its geomancy set. Garchomp is another mon that's relevant but considering chomp is most likely to run jolly, that's mostly irrelevant.

I feel that Taunt deserves a slash on the first set, as it can shut down defensive threats such as Chansey and make a decent anti-lead, seeing that Smeargle leads are pretty common in official Ubers. It may also bail you out when facing Geomancy Xerneas, when your checks are severely weakened.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
^ I agree, Taunt / Sucker Punch / Oblivion Wing / Dark Pulse is amazing.

I have no idea if Acrobatics will be good on Yveltal, but I'm gonna try it
<p>Yveltal @ Flying Gem<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe<br />
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk) <br />
- Acrobatics<br />
- Taunt / Substitute<br />
- Night Slash / Sucker Punch<br />
- U-Turn / Earthquake</p>

Flying gem isn`t out yet, nor will it be when pokebank is released. I have used the exact same set on PS!, but it IS illegal. It`s a beastly set tho, so if Flying gem ever comes out it will definitely be a catch.

I know how WIP this is and you're prolly busy, but this shit needs teammates, and more than just rapid spinners.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
teammates: palkia

u dont need anything else
Kyogre is cool alongside it, and Xerneas is a fantastic partner, as a Stallbreaking (or even regular) Yveltal beats a lot of Xerneas' checks, allowing it to sweep easily lategame. But yeah, Specs/Assault Vest Palkia def works with it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Set Recommendations]
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Oblivion Wing<br />
- Sucker Punch<br />
- Focus Blast / Substitute / Roost / Taunt</p>
Honestly, I think Taunt should lead the set. Taunt + 3 attacks is the most menacing Yveltal that I can think of and, as many can likely attest, face against. While the loss of Focus Blast as slot 4 really blows, it only helped you against... Tyranitar. Taunt + Sucker Punch is just way too menacing to look away from. I request it to be first in the set please. :(

Honestly, I think Taunt should lead the set. Taunt + 3 attacks is the most menacing Yveltal that I can think of and, as many can likely attest, face against. While the loss of Focus Blast as slot 4 really blows, it only helped you against... Tyranitar. Taunt + Sucker Punch is just way too menacing to look away from. I request it to be first in the set please. :(
I agree completely, I've been using Taunt + Dpulse Oblivion Wing Sucker and it rapes everything in the game

Here's my set:

Trollveltal

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EV spread: 252 SPd, 252 HP, 4 ATK/SPa
Nature: Careful (+SPd, -SPa)

Moveset:
Toxic
Taunt
Roost
Sucker Punch/Oblivion wing

Summary:
This set is perfect for trolling walls hard, spreading toxic poisoning across the opponent's team, or being a late game sweeper! With taunt to counter setups and toxic to shut sweepers down, you will make your opponents rage. Plus, you can attack them repeatedly with sucker punch (to outspeed) or oblivion wing (to have more PP and a health regen.) late game for a clean, solid win!

Checks and counters:
Physically based electric types, and most ice types can give Yveltal hell, and Xerneas can be difficult to shut down.

Here's my set:

Trollveltal

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EV spread: 252 SPd, 252 HP, 4 ATK/SPa
Nature: Careful (+SPd, -SPa)

Moveset:
Toxic
Taunt
Roost
Sucker Punch/Oblivion wing

Summary:
This set is perfect for trolling walls hard, spreading toxic poisoning across the opponent's team, or being a late game sweeper! With taunt to counter setups and toxic to shut sweepers down, you will make your opponents rage. Plus, you can attack them repeatedly with sucker punch (to outspeed) or oblivion wing (to have more PP and a health regen.) late game for a clean, solid win!

Checks and counters:
Physically based electric types, and most ice types can give Yveltal hell, and Xerneas can be difficult to shut down.
That's pretty much the stalling set with Sucker Punch/Oblivion Wing over Foul Play, with a worse EV spread. Also, I'm not 100% sure you know the purpose of this thread.

Well, what is the purpose? I just wanted to submit what I've been using on showdown...
Not that exactly. Analyses are for players to get an idea of what they can expect to see on mons, and to know what they should be running, as well as to analyze a Pokemon's skill and role in the metagame. Not simply a dumping spot for sets.

For your SubDisable set, 224 EV in Speed and a +Speed nature looks good, (It outspeeds the 95 Base Speed (Rayquaza, Kyurem B...), a good benchmark to reach, as Yveltal's main target are at that Speed bench, so he can, for example, outspeed a Kyurem B to force it to use Draco Meteor to attack (Or to switch if it's a Choice.), forcing it out.) I don't really know where to put the remaining EVs, you can like, put just enough EVs to 2HKO/OHKO some threats, and the remaining EVs in bulk, or you can just go full SpAtk (So it would be 34 HP/252 SpAtk/224 Speed+, something like that.)

Just an idea.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but rock slide cleanly OHKO's Ho-Oh; one of its main counters. My set:
Hasty/Naive
4 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Life Orb
-Sucker Punch
-Rock Slide
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)