Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Azumarill could learn Nasty Plot - it would be unstoppable monster with whooping 438 (with Timid) or 480 (Modest) SpA points to rip everything to shreds. Oh well, GameFreak still didn't show enough love to our fairy water mouse.

I don't think you really need Azumarill as you handle all versions of Ferrothorn unless they are really physically bulky. Also it takes really heavy damage from +6 Waterfall anyway. For item - Splash plate is indeed the best option. BTW anyone tested classic SubPunch set but with Play Rough in ? Focus Punch/Waterfall/Play Rough/Aqua Jet or Toxic ? I think it should still work fine taking into account how Azumarills Aqua Jet forces switches really well.
You get 4MSS though. Sub + FP and then you need to choose between Play Rough, Waterfall and Aqua Jet. Do you give up the priority, power or coverage? Also, when you start heading to Sub on the switch you allow Aegislash to become an easy counter as he gets a free switch in (on the sub) then you need to play around kingshield some how, which would probably leave you swapping out most of the time.

You get 4MSS though. Sub + FP and then you need to choose between Play Rough, Waterfall and Aqua Jet. Do you give up the priority, power or coverage? Also, when you start heading to Sub on the switch you allow Aegislash to become an easy counter as he gets a free switch in (on the sub) then you need to play around kingshield some how, which would probably leave you swapping out most of the time.
Couldn't you just drop Waterfall in that situation? You get higher power and STAB off of Play Rough.

With Azumarill's surprisingly good set of resistances (Fighting, Bug, Fire, Water, Ice, Dark and an immunity to Dragon) wouldn't an Assault Vest set be usable? When uninvested and with Huge Power, Azumarill still has 272 Attack, noticeably higher than most walls', and it can learn Power-Up Punch to go into the boosting route. Considering BW OU and BW OU only, it is not OHKOed by ANY special attack it would be likely to find. Offensive Celebi's Leaf Storm deals 75.24 - 88.86% and this is without the nerf it suffered

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Power-Up Punch
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

I don't know if this had been mentioned yet but still, I'm gonna post it here anyways.

I was wondering of good supporters for Azumarill to help him set-up with more ease. My brainstorming led me to think of a core of SubPass Celebi and BellyJet Azumarill.

+

The basic premise of the core is to utilize their decent defensive and offensive synergy to control opposition and ultimately, help Azumarill set up Belly Drum safely.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
EV spread: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spd
Moveset:
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic

A modified version of the standard Baton Pass set; this is tailored to serve as a momentum grabber and and a part time Special attacker. Celebi's STAB's offer quite enough coverage and resistance to Pokemon Azumarill might struggle with; namely Water and Poison types. Leaf Storm and Psychic aid in softening up counters and checks to the Blue Rabbit. Pokemon like Tentacruel, Qwilfish, Breloom, and Amoonguss will be kept at bay in fear of a OHKO/2HKO. This is achieved by investing the 192 SpA. 252 HP is used against potential Seismic Toss / Night Shade users and to provide more bulk. Then, the SubPass combo is there as a way to lend Azumarill bulky subs and to pave way for a Belly Drum set-up. This might lead into two things; the opposition switching out or the Substitute being kept intact -or a combination of these!-. This time is a golden opportunity to set Azumarill up for a sweep.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
EV spread: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Moveset:
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall / Superpower
- Play Rough

Simple, simple. Splash plate for boosted Aqua Jets and Waterfalls giving that extra oomph or Sitrus berry to potentially live assaults after Sub is broken. Belly Drum is there because you can -boost that 432 Attack to terrifying levels!-. Aqua Jet for STAB priority which also makes up for its lackluster Speed. Waterfall for yet another STAB providing more power to get some crucial KO's to Pokemon you outspeed or can take a hit from. Now Superpower is slashed for obliterating the ever-annoying Ferrothorn. And finally, Play Rough for, guess again, a powerful STAB covering Dragons and getting off neutral damage to Water and Grass types. By this time, Azumarill's checks and counters should be out of the game or at the least be sufficiently weakened.

COUNTERS/CHECKS:

At the top of my head, I thought of Ferrothorn, defensive Zapdos, Mega Gengar (;-;), and Celebi (...traitor >:I). Undoubtedly, there is more.

So yeah...I didn't expect an Onion Knight and a Blue Rabbit could get along well.

Maybe I should've just posted this in the New Cores thread... or is this okay here?

Knock Off is now as 65BP move, boosted to 97BP when it takes an item. I've been trying it out on various things to see what works, and Azumarill is actually one of the better ones.

I've been trying:

Azumarill @ Expert Belt
Nature: Adamant
EV spread: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
Moveset:
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off.

Expert Belt to bluff Choice Band. Switch in to revenge something, then throw out Knock Off to take the lefties off of whatever wall they go to. What's beautiful is that Skarm doesn't resist it anymore, so it gets hits harder than Crunch and loses its Leftovers. Celebi gets 2HKO'd and loses its item. After a while, your opponent will switch item-less pokes into it to prevent more Knocking Off: that's when you go for the big attacks. I tend to save Aqua Jet for the Expert Belt 'reveal', ie something like Gengar comes in to sponge a Play Rough, expecting to trap and kill - until you hit first with Aqua Jet.

Azu has some 4MSS this gen: it also wants Waterfall, Ice Punch and Belly Drum. But Knock Off rounds out its coverage nicely and gives it some nice utility. Knocking Off a Gliscor's Toxic Orb as it comes in to wall Superpower is just great.

Also Shedinja doesn't wall you anymore.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I like the idea of an Assault Vest on Azu, although I'd max out the Attack stat because Azu really needs the investment to be worthwhile; I'm pretty sure the HP investment alone will make it plenty bulky enough (btw Play Rough does like 56% to Rotom-W, although I can't remember if this is with +2 or not since I use it with BP Blaziken, and there aren't any damage calculators yet...., but anyway, I'm pretty sure Azu w/ AV can tank Volt Switches (look at it this way: Hydro Pump from 0 SpA Rotom-W neutral cannot break Azu's Substitutes so I'm banking that Azu with Assault Vest will be bulky enough).

EDIT: on Sitrius Berry Azu, I like to run 248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Spe to speed creep other Belly D. Azu xP

Prio Bravebird Talonflame will gib it after it's bellyflop though. Pretty much anything with a prio move and higher speed. That could kill it after Belly flop. And prefferably before it.

Bullet punch is a neutral? attack on him so anything with that and higher speed will be a good counter.

I'm playing with the following set:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Adamant
EV spread: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Moveset:
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

This has just enough EVs to outspeed a Choice Band Scizor and achieve even HP for Sitrus Berry to kick in when using Belly Drum, both @50 and @100. Incidentally, it can also survive said Scizor's Bullet Punch if at full health, but can't do much back when not boosted.

It can run a 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe spread too if it expects to encounter a Scizor with a bit of Spe investment. It also achieves even HP both @50 and @100. It is OHKO'd by any Bullet Punch by said Choice Band Scizors, but eh, you weren't doing anything to it if you survived the attack anyways.

Last edited:
I was doing a battle on Showdown, but the dude forfeited before I could see if Belly Drum Azumarill does OHKO Skarmory after stealth rock... well, whatever.

Hi guys!
I've been running Azumarril w/ B-Drum and I've been having a hard time trying to pull it out.
I send it out against pokemons with double weakness against Azumarril and they stay in and then make to take over 50% of my health so B-drum misses and... I can't do much but a sucide Aqua Jet.
Any thoughts?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yes, i do realise that the Water negates most of the damage from Bullet Punch, but the fact is that Azumarill has no answer towards steel types, you are forced to swap unless you have a trick under your sleeve or already have B-Drum up. Just Remember what is said next time your up against a Aegislash who takes next to no dmg from your Aqua jet, and just Swords-Dances to Hell, overall though it is a really sweet change towards marill as no longer Mach-Punch/Sucker can do massive dog towards him.
no answer to Steel types? CB Waterfall kicks the stuffing out of Aegislash, dealing up to 61% against 252/0. If by chance it's raining you deal up to 91%. Ninety-one-freaking percent.

Steel types have absolutely no business switching into Azumarill - the vast majority will lose to crushing CB attacks or a Belly Drum on the switch. Gaining Fairy-type was one of the best things to ever happen to Azu; his current usage is clear evidence of that.

People here often say Steel types wall azu, and is a blatant lie, Steel types in general do NOT wall azumarill, since save ferrothorn and empoleon, none actually resist waterfall. Ferrothorn and empoleon both get crushed by CB Superpower.
With its new typing and moves (power-up punch and play rough) the only pokemon that can fully counter azu imho are qwillfish (CB azu 5HKO's while bellyjet is outsped and KO'd 0 Atk Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 200-236 (53.61 - 63.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), tentacruel if azu lacks a Normal move, defensive celebi and MegaVenusaur.
You can revenge the bunny once it has set-up, but outright wall is almost imposible.

Belly/Jet Azumarill has been working great for me, now I just need an item to stick on it, I've given thought to berries of sorts, but can't settle on which/what type, and the only build I see on this page if for a Choice set. Any help?
Leftovers if you know you can set up well and stay in for longer periods, sitrus berry (25% hp restore) if you might have trouble setting up.

This thing is basically a powered up bulkier Linoone, so the items that work well on it will work well on BellyJet Azumarill.

You could go for a Salac berry if you think you'll take a ~25% hit on the turn you use belly drum for a bit faster waterfall/play rough, but it's hard to activate it with belly drum, since you're wanting to take a very weak or non hit for your set up.

A Splash plate can boost jet/waterfall's power even higher. If you're really confident you can set up without taking any damage, you can do a life orb, but that's very risky and I wouldn't recommend it.

People here often say Steel types wall azu, and is a blatant lie, Steel types in general do NOT wall azumarill, since save ferrothorn and empoleon, none actually resist waterfall. Ferrothorn and empoleon both get crushed by CB Superpower.
With its new typing and moves (power-up punch and play rough) the only pokemon that can fully counter azu imho are qwillfish (CB azu 5HKO's while bellyjet is outsped and KO'd 0 Atk Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 200-236 (53.61 - 63.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), tentacruel if azu lacks a Normal move, defensive celebi and MegaVenusaur.
You can revenge the bunny once it has set-up, but outright wall is almost imposible.
I wouldn't TRY to wall it, though ferrothorn can probably stall it out somewhat and definitely rack up some damage with leech seed and iron barbs.
If you're facing this thing, the best thing to do is to send out something that resists its STABS and try to take it out. Giving it more turns to set up (in the power-up punch case) or more turns of recovery with leftovers (in the bellyjet case) isn't wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leftovers if you know you can set up well and stay in for longer periods, sitrus berry (25% hp restore) if you might have trouble setting up.

This thing is basically a powered up bulkier Linoone, so the items that work well on it will work well on BellyJet Azumarill.

You could go for a Salac berry if you think you'll take a ~25% hit on the turn you use belly drum for a bit faster waterfall/play rough, but it's hard to activate it with belly drum, since you're wanting to take a very weak or non hit for your set up.

A Splash plate can boost jet/waterfall's power even higher. If you're really confident you can set up without taking any damage, you can do a life orb, but that's very risky and I wouldn't recommend it.
Thanks!

Yeah, Life Orb is definitely out of the question. I think I'll run Salac over Sitrus, only because I want to outspeed opposing priority in some cases, and be able to reliably use my other two coverage options without my sweep being ruined.

Thanks!

Yeah, Life Orb is definitely out of the question. I think I'll run Salac over Sitrus, only because I want to outspeed opposing priority in some cases, and be able to reliably use my other two coverage options without my sweep being ruined.
Just keep in mind, you need to get to under 25% hp safely to activate it, but good luck out there.

Back to the question of what can pass to or support azumarill, I found subpassing scolipede to be the best. Because it can actually hit hard, it tends to force switches, allowing you a free pass. Fire types love to switch into scolipede, which azumarill happens to resist. Most importantly, you also get to pass azumarill the speed that it so desperately needs.

Set up azumarill with
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 HP
Sitrus berry
Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough

1 speed boost puts it at 298 (or 299?), which allows you to outspeed most walls, if you can get to +2 somehow you outspeed basically everything relevant with 398. Having that speedier aqua jet can allow you to score crucial KOs without taking damage, allowing you to sweep much earlier than normal.

Also, I found dual screen klefki to greatly aid azumarill in getting set up. Like scolipede, azumarill resists the fire it hates, and screens allow azumarill to sit at decent health after BD and sitrus and still have said screens to protect it.

Back to the question of what can pass to or support azumarill, I found subpassing scolipede to be the best. Because it can actually hit hard, it tends to force switches, allowing you a free pass. Fire types love to switch into scolipede, which azumarill happens to resist. Most importantly, you also get to pass azumarill the speed that it so desperately needs.

Set up azumarill with
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 HP
Sitrus berry
Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough

1 speed boost puts it at 298 (or 299?), which allows you to outspeed most walls, if you can get to +2 somehow you outspeed basically everything relevant with 398. Having that speedier aqua jet can allow you to score crucial KOs without taking damage, allowing you to sweep much earlier than normal.

Also, I found dual screen klefki to greatly aid azumarill in getting set up. Like scolipede, azumarill resists the fire it hates, and screens allow azumarill to sit at decent health after BD and sitrus and still have said screens to protect it.
Dual screen klefki is really great for prolonging survival. It could also potentially set up rain for even more power.

As for getting to +2 speed, set up sub on scoliopede, and in your cases where you force switches, run protect as well. It'll protect the substitute and you'll get another turn of speed boost.

To be honest, all of them are at risk of a 2HKO against a +6 Waterfall plus a +6 Aqua Jet. I guess that BellyJet Azumarill is all about timing.

Last edited:
Considering the entire BW2 metagame, the only pokémon that is not 2HKOed by ANY of Belly Drum Azumarill's attacks (Other than Aqua Jet) is... Unaware Quagsire, and even then it needs to be physically defensive

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 36.54 - 42.89%
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 36.64 - 43%
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 51.77 - 61.16%
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 62.32 - 73.28% (The second best pokémon to take those +6 attacks)

"(Move 1)" is Play Rough (As a Normal-type STAB move due to being rather close to the coverage Water/Fairy gives)

So you cannot exactly "counter" Belly Drum Azumarill unless you switch into an immunity and have something that can 2HKO it, or by 'outprioritizing' its Aqua Jet

Last edited:
As much as we all love, Azumarill is now considerably weaker simply to the fact it is directly countered by steel types. This allows tanky bulkers such as Aegislash/Aggron, a Free Swords Dance/Curse/Bulk Up. This is a Disastrous feature which meaning if Pokemon such as these were on opposition teams, and with the popularity spike in steel types you can be easily defeated by a Bullet Punch by Scizor, which now will lead to an instant OHKO (Assuming :P) though his new addition of fairy type can very easily counter alot of other things, such as Dark/Fighting/Dragon. This Allows nice switch in's and a sweet invulnerability, haven't tested it though but it very easily would earn a spot on a Anti-Dragon team.
Under a boost, Bellyjet Azumarill can absolutely destroy Aegislash. Simply use a Waterfall then Aqua Jet and problem solved. Also, I would probably not send in Azumarill if there's a pokemon that can take a hit from Azumarill or pose a threat. After all, I guess that's what team members are for, right?

To be honest, all of them are at risk of a 2HKO against a +6 Waterfall plus a +6 Aqua Jet. I guess that BellyJet Azumarill is all about timing.
The ones I listed switch in belly drum and outspeed for the KO, they are not taking +6 waterfalls (they avoid the 2hko from CB too).
Unaware Quagsire is a also nice counter but I think is 2HKO'd by CB play rough, so is not a counter for azumarill.

For clarification's sake I'm talking about a textbook counter to what are in, my opinion, azu's 2 most viable sets.

I've mentioned Qwilfish before and its been doing pretty good at walling other Azumarills. Tentacruel is OK, but its defence is not as good and Qwil has both better Defence and Intimidate to soften the blows.

The most 'reliable' way of taking down an already set-up Belly Drum Azumarill is by either switching into Aqua Jet or an immunity (Tip: When in doubt, Play Rough. Jellicent, Gastrodon, Vaporeon and even the unreleased Water Absorb Suicune are all OHKOed by said Play Rough). It's very reliant on doing the Waterfall + Aqua Jet combo in that exact order. Even then, two Aqua Jets hurt A LOT so everything still narrows down to a faster pokémon with neutral priority or one that can take a Waterfall and deal over 50% to Azumarill in one hit (eg. Ferrothorn with Power Whip)

You have to either predict the Belly Drum and switch your check in (Fairly easy. Be careful if Azumarill happens to carry Sitrus Berry) or you are almost entirely guaranteed to lose one pokémon

Last edited:
I've been running Belly Drum Azumarill with a Wobbuffet, which is fantastic. Wobbuffet comes in, Encores a random move, switch in Azumarill, Belly Drum, Clean house. Doesn't always work, but when it does, I sweep teams with it. I think Gengar can help set it up as well, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)