Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Checked out some of the animated sprites on showdown and it was awesome! Cant wait until we finish the project so we can look back on what a great job we all did. :)

QC for inkay-

Hope this is okay

Made a chespin too

Replaced the head of mega blastoise front. Back looks just fine

Last edited:
All sprites were token from this thread.
I mean you have to mention it on the deviation itself, in the description. It's fine to let us know, but you need to let any viewers know, as well (or else they assume that you created the sprites, and that's bad form)

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh, didn't really think we'd be using the new Trevenant sprite. I'm not at all happy with it. I'll admit that it has its advantages over the old one, but there's still a LOT of room for improvement.

I'm not going to include the one made by Quanyails and myself in this comparison because Galifia's sprite has overall better proportions almost everywhere. Still, that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of qualms about it.

First of all, the all the dark brown lines on it really aren't necessary. In-game, Trevenant doesn't have them, and it's pretty obvious that the sprite is based on the Dream World artwork. I'd normally be fine with all those lines, but I think that they add unnecessary detail, are overall distracting, and makes it seem less like GameFreak's style. Luckily, it would be an easy fix.

Second, I'm really not buying the face. The "smile" really doesn't compliment Trevenant's theme at all. It's an undead tree, it should look a lot more neutral, not all obnoxiously smiley. I get that it's subjective, but "Teehee, I know something that you don't!" seems a lot less fitting than something like "Leave this forest before I destroy you". This won't take long to fix either, though.
EDIT: Shoulda been more clear about this, but it's not just the mouth that's smiling. It's the eye too. Just too dang happy for some reason.

And then the animation. The legs are fantastic, far better than my original version. But the arms are just, well, ew. Too active and too fast. It should be a lot more calm and undead looking. The angles at which they rotate doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's hard to isolate exactly what's wrong, but I still have a very good idea of what I'd do differently. It could help to lower the arms on the static version, but the pose is still pretty cool and there isn't a whole lot of need to fix it. I'd be willing to redo the animation if necessary.

Since the sprite is still okay and the changes I've proposed may not necessarily be objectively better, I'm not going to work on it just yet until I get some kind of approval.

Last edited:
Dragalge 'idle' animation
Take one:

I'm still working on the tentacle... antenna... whatevers as well as the rest of his little moving bits... There are a lot of them >_< . Thoughts?

First of all, the all the dark brown lines on it really aren't necessary. In-game, Trevenant doesn't have them, and it's pretty obvious that the sprite is based on the Dream World artwork. I'd normally be fine with all those lines, but I think that they add unnecessary detail, are overall distracting, and makes it seem less like GameFreak's style. Luckily, it would be an easy fix.
You don't see those dark lines in the model? I see them everywhere, in around the same spots they are on the sprite. Look again.

I agree with what you said about the arms though, they're moving quite fast. As for the "smile", I don't think it's quite intended to be a smile - I think it's just shaped a bit incorrectly on the sprite on the top part of the "mouth". I'm completely making this up though, so I might be wrong and it might have been completely intended to be a smile

If someone makes a better sprite and animates it, I will gladly redo the shiny animation for the new one.
Done

Edit : Oops Didn't See Your Post Legender ... ;p
oops, I ninja'd you a bit there :P

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Wow, I didn't think such minor edits would make this much of a difference, but it actually looks incredible now. An important part was making the arms level with each other, it makes the pose a lot more balanced, thus less dynamic and more ominous.

Legender, I probably should have been more specific, but a big part of the "smiley" look wasn't just the mouth, but also the eye. Of course, it's all fixed now. Also, perhaps the bark lines do exist on the 3D model, but the original sprite made them far too prominent. I think it just works a lot better without them. See this video, the lines are even less noticeable there.

I'll get animating sooner or later. Something nice to look forward to.

Last edited:
Tyrantrum's animation seems really glitchy - I'm not sure what the issue is, since it's fine. Some examples... (they're low-quality and zoomed in, sorry, but you get the idea the glitchy frames aren't like, subtly weird)

The first one occurs twice on frames 13 and 24, the second occurs once on frame 35. The backsprite is fine, and redownloading the animation did not fix. But the original upload doesn't show this error \ o / I can easily replace these frames, I just don't know what to replace them with ;___;

Legitimate Username the arms and face and such look much better (I liked the lines better and it looks flat now imo but I do see what you mean)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
hmm I didnt notice anything when I went back and looked but then again I'm not exactly sure what Im looking for. But I'll upload it again if it helps.

tyrantrum-full.gif

I mean you have to mention it on the deviation itself, in the description. It's fine to let us know, but you need to let any viewers know, as well (or else they assume that you created the sprites, and that's bad form)

Oh,I got you.In next part I'll write...

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I got a post on the facebook page about animations on PS and what people would like to see animated.

Mega Gengar and Aegislash seem to be two big ones, some more casual players might like the starters. If get around to making those statics perfect I'll bug Wyv the moment I see her and we can put them up for the next steap.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hmm I didnt notice anything when I went back and looked but then again I'm not exactly sure what Im looking for. But I'll upload it again if it helps.

View attachment 2816
I know you've put a lot of work into this, but Tyrantrum's main colors should be a bit paler, as in this picture.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Maybe that's just a bad picture? The concept arts color is very much vivid.
That's a picture I took on my own game. It's not an issue with the picture, unfortunately.

You can see it here too.

Last edited:
Mega Gengar and Aegislash seem to be two big ones, some more casual players might like the starters. If get around to making those statics perfect I'll bug Wyv the moment I see her and we can put them up for the next steap.
Well I'm taking aegislash for sure! Well, I've already done it, but it needs some touch-up, and I think I'll redo it once ppl give it more QC. I'll see about mega gengar too. Maybe I should collaborate with LU or ito...

I know you've put a lot of work into this, but Tyrantrum's main colors should be a bit paler, as in this picture.
Ah, I noticed that. But then again, its gonna be a lot of work to recolor all those frames one-by-one...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
aw man it really is a bit too vivid... It really isnt too far off though but tbh, I kinda like it better now than having it look paler. But if it has to be done, can it be done on that program legender uses to make the shiny sprites or is that not possible?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I finished my QC of Legitimate Username 's Aegislash sprites, both front and back sprites. My edits are on the top row, while his originals are on the bottom. Can I get some feedback on this please? A big thing you'll notice is how the front and backsprites aren't the same length in my edits. Well, the reason is because when Aegislash is in Shield Stance, it's actually leaning back a bit, with the bottom part sticking further out. However when in Blade Stance, Aegislash is straight up, and thus its appearance is slightly taller when in Blade Stance. In the original sprites, the pose for Aegislash's body in Shield Stance was used for both Shield and Blade Stance, thus constantly giving it the "slanted" appearance when it should have been a bit straighter.

aw man it really is a bit too vivid... It really isnt too far off though but tbh, I kinda like it better now than having it look paler. But if it has to be done, can it be done on that program legender uses to make the shiny sprites or is that not possible?
Well I finished my QC of Legitimate Username 's Aegislash sprites, both front and back sprites. My edits are on the top row, while his originals are on the bottom. Can I get some feedback on this please?
All in-game 3D depictions of Pokémon in X and Y have lighter and less saturated palettes than normal. I noticed this while working on Dedenne way back.

Example:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)