Item Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gimmick alert but...

I wonder how it works with Simple.
Boosting Bibarel with Weakness Policy for the LOLs:
Work Up*/Curse | Endure | Quick Attack | Waterfall/Aqua Tail (*5th gen TM)
Would be at +6 after a boost and WP activation assuming Simple is triggered.

Some other untested ideas for this situational item:
Mamoswine:
Ice Shard | Icicle Crash | Earthquake | Endure/Stone Edge
It has pretty common weaknesses to Fighting/Steel/Fire/Water, immunity to Hail/Sandstorm, useful STAB priority and great attack.

Feraligatr could probably do something with it as well considering that it has Aquajet and Torrent:
Swords Dance/Agility | Endure/Waterfall/Brick Break | Aquajet | Return/Flail/Brick Break
Yeah, slashitis. Either try for +2 Atk/+2 Spe or +4 Atk.
Not really sure about this one but some combination might be useful.
Swoobat gets Stored Power. Maybe it could even take a super effective Special hit after a Calm Mind. Well, if you're using Swoobat you might as well use this item.

So is it better to use bulky DDNite or standard DDNite when using weakness policy?
Bulky for sure. Those 608 / 474 attacking stats are with zero investment, and remember that you're required to take a SE hit for weakness policy activate. Because you're aiming to set-up early, you're going to take a hit one way or another, and that 252 HP allows you to survive things that standard DD nite simply wouldn't.

Also, agility is much better than DD for weakness policy since it allows you to outspeed common scarfers; with DD scarfed terrakion, latios, latias, salamence all outspeed you and easily OHKO revenge kill.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You think a wider range of Pokemon could be viable with this move under Dual Screens support? Like, having the Screens up sort of demands your opponent hit you hard as possible (lest they pack Defog or the lolBrick Break), which usually means resorting to Super Effective moves...Like, I can see having some mon like Klefki set up dual screens and die on some kind of HO team, followed up by something random and unexpected. Like, bear with me as I pull this wacky example off the top of my head: (Don't judge pls)

Diggersby @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Huge Power
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Agility

There's like 500 million examples I could've tossed up, but just go with the concept of what I'm trying to say behind this. Behind screens, being able to sponge an SE hit and easily get Weakness Policy activated, you pretty much can lure your opponent into making your sweeper's job much easier to set up and sweep within one turn of action. Of course though you can't predict everything, nor can you force the best situational outcome--sometimes your opponent may just go to a wall who still can check your sweeper. Or you may end up just getting crippled by a status move you didn't see coming, or even pHazed. But I think it's a good way to make this item's use a bit more flexible, because a lot of sweepers would kill to be able to use this but are let down by their ability to sponge SE hits.

...Oh yeah and I guess it gives you an excuse to use Agility Diggersby in the event you ever feel like it. Lol.

I was just about to say the same. Throwing up screens and then going to a bulky set-up sweeper would really force the opponent's hand. They can choose between letting the opponent set up or helping it along the way, assuming they don't have a defensive answer. Though its glory days are over, maybe something like SubDD Gyarados could make use of it?

Dragonite and Mamoswine are the only things I can really see using this effectively, because of their abilities. You not only have to have the bulk to take a SE hit, but you also have to have either priority, good speed or enough bulk to survive another hit.

My item of choice on Aegislash. If he is slower than the enemy, he can usually tank a super-effective hit (shield form) to activate the item - then instantly go into blade form and OHKO the enemy with his super attack stat! It's a gimmicky set, but it does surprise people when he goes full ham instead of swords dance setup.

I can confirm that togekiss is pretty viable with this item. He has enough bulk to switch in on a volt switch in a lot of cases. The problem is that his speed is lack luster, my solution is sticky web at the moment and it's working pretty effectively with only a few losses on showdown and none on wifi yet.

so let me get this straight

driftblim has unburden, stockpile, immunties to switch in on, and enough bulk to take SE hits at +1

it also has baton pass

so you could theoretically persuit bait something and baton pass a sword dance, nasty plot, agility, and two stockpiles to something like justified lucario

so let me get this straight

driftblim has unburden, stockpile, immunties to switch in on, and enough bulk to take SE hits at +1

it also has baton pass

so you could theoretically persuit bait something and baton pass a sword dance, nasty plot, agility, and two stockpiles to something like justified lucario
It can't do all of these. Unburden is not a stat boost that involves the 'stat stage' so it cannot be Baton Passed

Any decently bulky Pokemon with Unburden needs to be considered here. Dnite is still the best overall user of it, but a Pokemon with Unburden will essentially get a Shell Smash without wasting a moveslot, and without the defensive hits. There is potential there.

Drifblim, as has already been mentioned, is a great example. And it get its Acrobatics boosted, to boot. Flying/Ghost is a great STAB combo this gen, and the blimp is very happy to go mixed.

Slurpuff isn't horribly frail and learns Cotton Guard, letting it easily take an SE physical hit (like a Bullet Punch) if it's had time to use Cotton Guard. And it has Draining Kiss and Wish to help recover the damage before it goes on a Rampage with Play Rough and Flamethrower. It would then be pretty much the strongest Fairy-type.

It always stuns me how high Hitmonlee's SpD is and, if he survives an SE special hit, you are now looking at an absolute monster WITH a priority attack...

Sceptile is still around and can also use Acrobatics, but I don't really know how far he can go. I'll leave that to other people. Maybe he's more threatening with a Shell Smash than I'm giving him credit for...

It seems like all you would need to make these mons work really well with Weakness Policy is a little bit of Screens+Wish support. And, if Parting Shot one day finds itself on a decently usable Pokemon (sorry Pangoro...), it will have amazing synergy with Weakness Policy. It is such a good item. And I am soooo hoping it will make Drifblim viable this gen...

Last edited:
I've been using Weakness Policy Dragonite for a little while in doubles and there's a few things I feel are worth mentioning in terms of its use...

- If Multiscale gets jipped (Fake out or Weather) you're gonna have a bad time, since it brings in to question if you'll even survive the hit to make use of your boost with Nite not being very fast. This is obviously a Nite threat regardless of Weakness Policy but running a berry or Leftovers might increase effectiveness in these situations.
- Given you take out at least one threat, you're almost guaranteed to get revenge killed, again, thanks to his slow speed (although this depends a bit on your opponents setup, obviously).

Another thing to consider: what about Pokemon with Endure? Fast, frail Pokemon or ones with Priority (Lucario comes to mind) can use this item in combination with Endure to tank a fully super effective hit and then kick back hard into a last ditch offense.

Another thing to consider: what about Pokemon with Endure? Fast, frail Pokemon or ones with Priority (Lucario comes to mind) can use this item in combination with Endure to tank a fully super effective hit and then kick back hard into a last ditch offense.
I've tried this with Sturdy and I always found they'd just die to priority or weather or rough skin/rocky helmet/spikey shield/etc. Running around at 1 hp isn't reliable, but when it works, it works well. (Like if all their priority users are taken care of beforehand and the endurer is immune to sandstorm.)

I find it most successful with Screens up and a Pokemon with a Speed Boosting move. I used it with Klinklang in lower tiers and his Gear Shift + Weakness Policy just hurts. And it allows his special moves to be viable to use. (70 base special attack sharply boosted is acceptable)

I'm new here, but here are some possible sets.

Togekiss @ Weakness Policy (Gimmick)
Ability: Hustle
Nature: Lonely / Naughty / Brave

Extreme Speed
Air Slash
Aura Sphere / Heal Bell
Roost

After the Hustle and Weakness Policy boost Togekiss Extreme Speed hits hard. Air Slash is still a solid STAB, and has a 30% flinch rate. Aura Sphere for steel and rock types or Heal Bell for team support. Roost to recover any damage. Gimmick, but it could possibly work.

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy

Dargon Dance / Coil
Extreme Speed
Earthquake
Outrage / Dragon Tail

Extreme Speed set is similar to Dragonite, but Coil allows it to tank physical SE attacks.

Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Nature: Adamant

Sword Dance
Aqua Jet
Stone Edge
Low Kick / Rapid Spin / Endure

Tank Physical SE attacks only, gain your speed boost, and sweep.

Metagross @ Weakness Policy

Agility / Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash / Ice Punch
Earthquake / Hammer Arm (BP only)
Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch

Agility boost, take SE attack, and sweep.

Aegislash is a great user of it, take the hit in Shield Form, Sweep in Sword Form.
Arcanine has a slim change on physical attacks like Waterfall & Rock Slide, but basically there's better choices.
Beartic in Rain could do it, but it needs too much support.
Conkeldurr can try, but it's better off with Bulk-Up most SE attacks aimed at him are special besides flying.
Dusknoir can use it viably, Shadow Sneak makes up for speed, and it has Earthquake and the elemental punches.

Endure: Pokemon with Endure can attempt it if they have a good speed stat or speed boosting ability like "Unburden", and lack of a good boosting move.
Bulky: Anything Bulky with a Good attacking stat, and priority are potential users as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitmonlee; Unburden ; Weakness Policy

I haven't come very far with this idea yet, mostly due to me not knowing much of tiers other UU and RU, it keeps haunting my dreams though.

Name: Hitmonlee
Ability: Limber / Reckless / Unburden
Type: Fighting
Base Stats: 50 / 120 / 53 / 35 / 110 / 87 (According to Serebii)
2* Weakness: Flying / Psychic / Fairy
1/2* Reistence: Bug / Rock / Dark

Name: Weakness Policy
Description: When held by a Pokémon, it raises the Pokémon's Attack and Sp. Attack stats by two stages whenever it is hit by a move that is Super Effective.
(Source: http://serebii.net/itemdex/weaknesspolicy.shtml )
Name: Unburden
Description: Speed is doubled once the held item is consumed.
(Source: http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/unburden.shtml)

The Idea:
Swap Hitmonlee in on a very effective move it can survive and start sweeping with fearsome +2 attack & +2 speed.
(Bait a Dazzling Gleam with a strong dragon for example)

Weaknesses:
- Priority attacks*
- Misscalculation of the received damage
- His low base- health
- Wrong prediction
-1-trick pony

Possible solutions:
-
Light screen
- Using priority attacks as well (Mach Punch / Bullet Punch)

So, what is this about?

I'm looking for suggestions concering:
- What attacks could he swap in savely (OU-tier)?
=> Possible EV spreeds

-How would you build him?

- Opinions: Would he have any chance in a tier higher than RU?

Anything with intimidate seems like a great pairing for this item. I would think Arcanine would be an excellent candidate: it has a great movepool, extremespeed, reliable recovery.... What's holding him back?

I don't think that hitmonlee would be any higher than RU, but it could be great there. Switch it in on a weak psychic and go to town. You would probably want 252 HP / 252 atk / 4 spe. Speed isn't necessary as unburden puts you at 420 with no investment, outspeeding everything except timid accelgor which you annihilate with priority anyway. You want 4 attacks, since you're only switching in once and dying the second you're touched.

Close Combat
Stone Edge
Mach Punch
Sucker Punch / Bullet Punch

Top 2 standard etc. Defense drops don't matter since you'll be around 30% when you're set up. Mach punch because it desperately needs priority. Sucker punch is over bullet punch because of power, but bullet punch is more reliable. Your call.

Arcanine's problem is that it's really weak to hazards, so you absolutely have to use it at the beginning because it's not surviving any SE attacks in OU at 75%. Fire also has bad weaknesses, meaning it's hard to take a weak hit, because fire types are either taking stone edges, earthquakes, or surfs. Lastly, a lot of arcanine's good attack make it hurt itself (flare blitz, wild charge), shortening its lifespan. That being said, mixed stats of 600 each after activation certainly have potential, although its not great speed of 95 means it's going to have to resort to using extremespeed a lot more than you'd like it to.

Hitmonlee learns Endure so that's an option to survive any powerful SE hit so as to consume Weakness Policy and trigger Unburden.
That also means that you could use him a bit more freely before trying for a late game sweep.
Endure | Close Combat | Stone Edge | Sucker Punch/Mach Punch

Last edited:
Well, if really Endure is the way to go could go for Reversal (like the old builds did).

I was hoping to be a little bit safer than that.

But yea. Weakness Policy definitely is an improvement for the old build.

Unburden + Weakness Policy is a great strategy on anything that can run it. I've done it with an Unburden Hawlucha: Impish, 252 HP/Def & 4 SpD, running H. Jump Kick, Acro, Poison Jab, and X-Scizzor/U-turn, and even with Hawlucha's weak DEF stat, I've activated Weakness Policy taking an Avalanche, with slightly less than 1/3rd HP remaining.
Unburden Hitmonlee can probably do this more consistently than Hawlucha, albeit with slightly different type coverage, dude to it's high SpD, but Unburden Sceptile is just uncalled for. Adamant nature, 252 EVs in HP/Atk, 4 Def. After W.P./Unburden activates, Atk = 590, SpA = 442, Spe = 552, with no investment, fast enough to blow, well, damn near everything, in the dust. I'd run Leaf Storm(for PWNage)/Giga Drain(Recovery against Sucker Punch), Earthquake, Acrobatics, and Rock Slide, and that covers EVERYTHING, hitting 580/774 Pokemon out of the entire game for 2x or 4x damage.

Drifblim may be able to severely abuse Weakness Policy as well, once transfers to 6th open up, because it learns Recycle as a B/W2 Move Tutor move. From there, there are too many options to list. Drimblim's HP stat is ridiculously high enough that he can easily sponge a physical SE hit with max Def, access to Calm Mind to boost SpD and SpA on top of Weakness Policy boosts. And, if Weakness Policy boosts can be Baton Passed, he can do that too, as much as he wants, by use of Recycle.

Weakness Policy is easily the most interesting item this Gen, lots of potential.

Well, if really Endure is the way to go could go for Reversal (like the old builds did).

I was hoping to be a little bit safer than that.

But yea. Weakness Policy definitely is an improvement for the old build.
Reversal is an option yes. But Weakness Policy is doubling your attack so you could play it a little differently.
AFAIK, the old Endrever wouldn't have had Weakness Policy or even Close Combat.
Close Combat will have more utility throughout the match as it doesn't require low HP.

Mjolnir128
Weakness Policy + Unburden + STAB Acrobatics + Will-o-wisp + Destiny Bond (or Baton Pass if passable) sounds kinda nice for Drifblim.

Last edited:
In fact, I just went over and there are a few abilities that work with W.P.: Filter and Solid Rock, which someone mentioned above, taking SE hits but taking less damage. Funnily enough, it nullifies Archeop's Defeatist ability if the move that drops him below 50% HP is super-effective. I also found that Weak Armor works with the item as well, when the SE move triggers it, Speed will be boosted 1.5x as well due to the item. Skarmory and Mandibuzz come to mind to make use of this very well, as Skarmory can easily take a physical hit, and for Mandibuzz's all around solid bulk, making it capable of sponging physical rock moves even.

Mandibuzz @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature (-Atk, +Spe)
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
-Dark Pulse
-Heat Wave
-Air Slash
-Nasty Plot

Provided Weak Armor and Weakness Policy activate by the same SE attack... Mandibuzz will be sitting on 418 SpA and 378 Spe. Mandibuzz is sitting around in NU and RU, come transfers from earlier games, a set as simple as this will be nigh unstoppable once it's rolling.

Mandibuzz @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature (-Atk, +Spe)
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
-Dark Pulse
-Heat Wave
-Air Slash
-Nasty Plot

Provided Weak Armor and Weakness Policy activate by the same SE attack... Mandibuzz will be sitting on 418 SpA and 378 Spe. Mandibuzz is sitting around in NU and RU, come transfers from earlier games, a set as simple as this will be nigh unstoppable once it's rolling.
An important problem I can see in this is that the only primarily-physical type Mandibuzz is weak to is Rock

Jirachi@Weakness Policy
Serene Grace
Timid/Jolly 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
~ Cosmic Power/Calm Mind/Wish
~ Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Ice Punch
~ Drain Punch
~ Iron Head/Flash Cannon

Jirachi has the stats and movepool to be an effective mixed sweeper, but I'd BP him some speed first to be extra sure. He is weak to a few very common attack types now including Fire, Ground, Dark and Ghost and if you Cosmic Power on the switch you should very well be able to survive most attacks and retaliate. Drain Punch let's him heal while remain on the offensive and with Shadow Ball gives you unresisted coverage. Iron Head or Flash Cannon can be used as a STAB and you can try to abuse the flinch chance and also hits Fairies hard. Ice Punch is good against those Dragons and Ground types that like to use Earthquake.

Hitmonlee; Unburden ; Weakness Policy

I haven't come very far with this idea yet, mostly due to me not knowing much of tiers other UU and RU, it keeps haunting my dreams though.

Name: Hitmonlee
Ability: Limber / Reckless / Unburden
Type: Fighting
Base Stats: 50 / 120 / 53 / 35 / 110 / 87 (According to Serebii)
2* Weakness: Flying / Psychic / Fairy
1/2* Reistence: Bug / Rock / Dark

(Data Source: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/106.shtml )

Name: Weakness Policy
Description: When held by a Pokémon, it raises the Pokémon's Attack and Sp. Attack stats by two stages whenever it is hit by a move that is Super Effective.
(Source: http://serebii.net/itemdex/weaknesspolicy.shtml )
Name: Unburden
Description: Speed is doubled once the held item is consumed.
(Source: http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/unburden.shtml)

The Idea:
Swap Hitmonlee in on a very effective move it can survive and start sweeping with fearsome +2 attack & +2 speed.
(Bait a Dazzling Gleam with a strong dragon for example)

Weaknesses:
- Priority attacks*
- Misscalculation of the received damage
- His low base- health
- Wrong prediction
-1-trick pony

Possible solutions:
-
Light screen
- Using priority attacks as well (Mach Punch / Bullet Punch)

So, what is this about?

I'm looking for suggestions concering:
- What attacks could he swap in savely (OU-tier)?
=> Possible EV spreeds

-How would you build him?

- Opinions: Would he have any chance in a tier higher than RU?
Very interesting idea. Sadly, Hitmonlee's only weaknesses are Flying, Psychic, and Fairy, and Hitmonlee's 50 base HP makes it hard to take a hit of any kind, even on the special side. While it could be deadly if Weakness Policy was activated, there just doesn't seem like there is any reliable way to activate Weakness Policy without Hitmonlee being flattened like a pancake. For EV's, 252 Atk with Adamant Nature is a good idea. For the rest, you should try to find a balance between HP and Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)