Apprentice Program: Round Seventy Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username: xjuliocesar

Pokemon Showdown Username: xnightwing

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: (GMT-3)
Mon - 7PM until 10PM
  • Tues - 7PM till 10PM
  • Wed - 7PM till 10PM
  • Thurs - 7PM till 10PM
  • Fri - 7PM till 10PMM
  • Sat - Typically Unavailable
  • Sun - 9AM till 12AM
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2/XY OU/UU/RU

Tell us a little about yourself: Well, I've been playing pokemon since I was a child (like many others out there), and I always loved the games and the animê. I started to play competitive two years ago, but mostly made teams on DPP, and used only to battle with friends (did ev training and stuff, so I won against them almost always :P)
I'm not really good, but neither suck at playing competitive. There are many new pokemon I dislike, so usually I create teams with mostly old pokémon. And I guess one of my let downs are that I'm not too good at create teams that cover all weakness. But I enjoy battling even when I lose.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure! :))

Why me?: I'm really enjoying the competitive part of pokemon, now I have Pokemon X, and the game is awesome, but will be even better if I can improve in the competitive battles!
I have only one post here, and it's on RMT (but I guess it was deleted already by now). But I always use the forums to look at movesets, and get a basis on good coverage, and ev usage (mostly I make mines, but the ones on the forum are great).

Disclaimer: I was skipped on one round some time ago, and after that never got in time to register on a new one (work and stuff) now I have time, and would be really glad to be tutted!
Thanks alot, and sorry for my bad english, not my native language.

Username: Funkydude97

Pokemon Showdown Username:Funkydude97

Timezone and hours of availability: CST and either 4-11 on weekdays or later depending on work and most all day weekends. Pretty flexible

Tier: Whatever is the tutor's favorite or most convenient!

Tell us about yourself: I've got the typical story of a person that's played the game since red and blue and played it ever since it was my very first video game and I collect and play the games often. I'm a pretty nice guy and a quick learner.I have background knowledge of EV's and IV's but that's about the limits of my comprehension.

Would you be willing to do the tutee talk threads?: Of course!

Why I should be picked:I understand that I have very few posts, but what sets me apart is my ability to learn and hopefully my friendly attitude (don't want to sound conceited). I have at least one game from every generation and the remakes available and a computer to use for the sims. Sorry I don't have many posts, but in my opinion it's my lack of competitive battling knowledge and having no idea where to start. Otherwise I would have began contributing more and earlier. I've used a forum before and I'm comfortable with the rules and regulations of this one and others. I really hope to use being tutored to expand my hobby of playing pokemon from playing the story and collecting pokemon to playing it competitively and creating a strategically sound team. Thanks for considering me!

Last edited:
Username:Tiakarot
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Tiakarot
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:(GMT +1) 2:00pm to 5:00pm every day excluded tuesday 5:00pm to 8:00pm
What tier do you want to learn?:BW2/XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I've been in videogaming since i was a child,my first game was Duke nukem for Game boy color.I started to play pokemon with pokemon yellow,I discovered competitive battling with
pokemon DPP,i've always been fascinated by this side of the game but never made a serious team.I would like to learn more about battling to continue to play on future pokemons too.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Yes
Why me?: I really want to play competitively and become a decent trainer,I'm willing to learn and "study" the various aspects ov the meta.This is my first round i sign so i don't mind being skipped but i would really like to try this program at least once.

Username: cxinlee
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:cxinlee
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:+8 GMT, usually night (8-10 pm) and morning occasionally (8-9 am)
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been hanging out here for about 6 months already, mostly playing lc and doubles. I have gone through the program once (BW2 LC). My main hobbies are going on irc and speedcubing.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Yeah that'd be cool

Username: High Ranger Amelia

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username
: High Ranger Amelia

Your timezone and usual hours of availability
: +2 GMT, (4-7pm) or (7-9am)

What tier do you want to learn?:
Pokebank OU (Maybe it's called X/Y ou here :/ )

Tell us a little about yourself
: Well, i started playing Pokemon as a child but not competitively. However, after entering Pokemon Showdown, i was introduced to competitive battling and now strive to be the best. I hope i can improve myself.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course ^_^

As for why
i should be tutored, it is because i believe that through this program, i can (hopefully) be a wiser and better battler. And With the knowledge i will gain through this journey, i shall share with others so that even while i am up in the sky, i will always lend out a hand for those who are still on the ground. Please accept me :3

Last edited:
Username:Starduster
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Starduster
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: +1 GMT Weekdays: 7pm-8.30pm Saturdays: 1pm-6pm
What tier do you want to learn?:BW2/XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I have played pokemon ever since being given some pokemon cards but only casually. Finding out that pokemon was so much more in-depth fascinated me and I'd love to know more. I love gaming in general and I am really determined to get to know more about playing competitively
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Sure
Why me? I learn fast and there's nothing over time that I can't handle. I take in everything that's told and would be a perfect student. Really looking forward to hopefully getting to do this program

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Username: Soulgazer
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Soulgazer
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-5, 1pm to 2 am.
What tier do you want to learn?: DPP OU / BW2 OU
Tell us a little about yourself: 17 years old french canadian who has too much free time and play NU a little too much. I'm also a huge fan of animes!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Username: Dr Ciel

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown Username: Lady Samantha

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 Free all afternoons and weekends, very flexible. ( University started, so these times are subject to change )

What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 LC

Tell us a little about yourself: Hello there, I'm a 24 year old nurse from the town of Venice Italy, I'm an avid fan of 80s Music, and follow the NFL and MLB.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of Course.

Reactions: tcr
Username:Broken Wing
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Rozy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: (GMT -5) 7pm-1am
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU/ DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm an 18 year old college student who has been playing competitively on and off since early 2008. Looking to get into adv ou or relearn dpp ou.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:yes

Note: I was paired in round 77 but only had one session with my tutor and we never managed to meet up again.

Username: Hamakua
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Hamakua
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 6PM - 11PM EST
What tier do you want to learn?: Pokebank OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I joined Smogon about as soon as BW2 came out, so I've never really experienced a new gen. I've played a bit of XY OU and I'm in love with it, but I'd like to learn more.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.

Username: Ein
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Shoddy: Ein, I can get accounts for the others if needed.
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST - Anytime past eight on the weekdays
What tier do you want to learn?: XY/BW2 - OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I been playing pokemon for the longest time now and played with a few of my friends in a tournament setting and that is what got me into competitive battling. I enjoy playing OU and played BW/DPP OU on and off for a few years. I just want to get better and actually develop an ability to read the metagame better and build teams.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I am willing

Username: SixAgile
Showdown Username: SixAgile
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM weekdays, 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM most saturdays and sundays
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 OU/ XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing Pokemon since I was six when Ruby and Sapphire came out. Then I played the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games after I borrowed them from my cousin. I have been playing Pokemon since then, and I have gotten every game, with the exception of Pokemon Conquest and the Wii titles. I thought I was good at it, and I can beat my friends, but in BW when I played online I got slaughtered. I looked up strategies and EV training, but I can't figure out how to do it on my own. I've been trying to, and so far I still lose online, but I destroy my friends. Having a tutor would a great way to learn.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.
Why should I be tutored?: I suck at Pokemon at the Smogon level, and I am new to this community. I feel that I cannot contribute to this community until more people know me, and of course, I get better at Pokemon. I also do not know how to set up my own movesets, and usually use the ones posted on Smogon.

Username: Sephorai
Pokemon Showdown: Sephorai
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 3PM-11PM (any time during the weekend)
What tier do you want to learn?: X/Y OU
Tell us a little about yourself: hey everyone, I'm rather new to the site but have been getting very much involved in the trading forums. The last pokemon game I played was Emerald and with X/Y I've found a rekindled love for pokemon. This will be my first pokemon game that I get into competitively. I've been snooping A LOT all over the forums and learned a whole bunch on my own because I want to be good at this game and having an experienced teacher will only help. Plus I've already gotten absolutely everything I need to breed stuffs so I can make any time I want given a few days :D
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: love to

Username: swordeh
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: swordeh on Pokemon Showdown
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
EST
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday all day anytime, I stay up pretty late, usually about 3-4 in the morning, get up about 10 in the morning.
Friday and Sunday are days that I usually work all day, I'm available anytime before 2:30 PM and anytime 12 AM after on those days.
What tier do you want to learn?: OU/RU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a 23 year old college student going for my degree in Graphic Design, I spend most of my time playing video games and playing Magic: The Gathering. I've dabbled every now and then on Pokemon Showdown, but nothing really major. I've kept up with the metagame through this site along with some friends that have been more into than me. I just think it's about time I stop sitting on the sidelines and finally start winning at this game.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure

Username: BHuntarZ
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: BHuntarZ
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 genrally from 10 am to about 1 pm
What tier do you want to learn?:Gen 6 X/Y OU
Tell us a little about yourself: i am coming back to pokemon after a long break Ruby/Saphire lol and want to learn to be competitve
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes i will
Why I should be tutored?: Am willing to learn and want to have fun and maybe one day be competitve :D one can only hope

Username: bridget !!
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown: paperghost (on both of these. i have both. im a weenie)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: CST -6, usually available from 3 PM onwards, assuming i have no work (i don't usually have work ha)
What tier do you want to learn?: BW or XY Little Cup, NU, or UU
Tell us a little about yourself: i know i don't have any real posts on here, but i think i should be chosen because i have been playing pokemon since i was very little (i saved up all my money when i was 7 for the special pikachu edition game boy color, i still got that thing, yooooo) and i feel like i am good at pokemon, but would like guidance on entering the competitive scene, considering all of my experience is ingame or with close friends.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yeah man i'll do that.

Username: Pico
Showdown Username: Pic0
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. EST (GMT -5)
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2/XY OU or any tier you think is best for a beginner
Tell us a little about yourself: This is my very first Smogon post and I am very new to the competitive Pokemon scene. Since the first Pokemon game was released I have thoroughly enjoyed the series. However, I stopped playing after the release of Diamond and Pearl in 2006 to focus on my career. Now that I’m settled and with the release of Pokemon X/Y I have returned to the Pokemon series. After being introduced to Smogon through gaming podcasts, I thought it would be great to be a part of the community here and learn about competitive Pokemon.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Why you should be tutored?: As previously stated this is my first post and I am very new to this scene. Although I have been playing the game since it was first released I have limited knowledge of Pokemon battling. Thus, I think have a lot to gain from this program. Acceptance into the apprentice program would also give me a good opportunity to meet and introduce myself to others in the Smogon community. Although I read the forums regularly I had yet to create an account and add my two cents to the conversation. Finally, I think I should be tutored because I enjoy the game and I hope to contribute back any way I can.

Username: Campaign
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Campaign / Campaign / -
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT + 11:00 (AEST). Available any time from 12PM to 12AM on any day other than Saturday.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: As far as Pokemon goes, I've played since TCG/Red but have never played competitively other than casually among friends. I'm looking to get very serious and am working hard to learn as much as I can about the competitive aspects of the game as quickly as possible. Despite having put 230 hours into Pokemon X already, I'm still very new in regard to the competitive battling scene - Having played around only a little on Showdown and around 130 games on Battle Spot. I am however, having an absolute blast on showdown. So far as my life outside of Pokemon goes, nothing too surprising. I work in IT, did my bachelors in computer science and play tons of video games.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: You bet.
Why you should be tutored?: It depends I suppose on what you're looking for in a tutee. I have plenty of time and dedication, high aspirations and am a reasonably friendly guy. It's tough to say why me over anybody else because I suspect we are all posting for more or less the same reason - To learn to play well, fast. There are always flaws with self-teaching, the least notable of which is the lack of pace and quality in the various sources that you have to learn from, secondly the lack of feedback - Both of which are far less of an issue with a tutor. Now that I've entered this world of competitive Pokemon, I'm absolutely hooked and am very focused on improving. I have a bad habit of playing video games at the hardcore level or getting bored with them and in this case, I love the meta, the theorycrafting and the psychology of battles and have no doubt that I am just beginning a long, long hobby(for lack of a better word) in the Pokemons. The reason that I'm looking for a tutor, rather than simply aiming to learn on my own as I go is because I'm investing a large amount of time and getting so much enjoyment out of the competitive side of this game even though I've just started in that respect, and I want to accelerate the learning process and work my way into a higher level of play as quickly and proficiently as possible while having an awesome time on the way.
All that said, I would hate for there to be any false expectations on my account; It should be noted that at present, although I seem to do okay over Showdown and Wifi (A little above 50% win), I really have only just started learning and know only a little about the meta which is something I'm working to change.

Last edited:
Username: ceciunni
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: ceciunni

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-7 (USA pacific)
  • Weekdays (M-Th): 7PM PST to anytime
  • Weekends (F,Sa,Su): 11AM PST to anytime
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, but I'm more concerned with learning team building regardless of the tier.

Reason for not having 25 posts: At a glance, the forums look rather intimidating to a newcomer. And for a person with very limited knowledge on the technical aspects of Pokemon, I thought I didn't have much to contribute. Rather, I thought I'd start by reading the strategy pokedex and the Smog articles to get on even grounds with rest of the forum posters. Of course, to simply read articles, I didn't need to make an account and didn't have to post anything on the forums.
Tell us a little about yourself: I've silently "lurked" on Smogon forums since Platinum. I've mainly been checking the Battle tower (Pt/SS) and the Battle subway (Black 1) records, and have spent countless hours and days trying to get somewhere near the people listed in the hall of fame. (in vain of course.) With the introduction of random matchup in Black 1, I got very more interested in strategies on how to use certain pokemon and started to come to Smogon very frequently. Eventually, I started using the simulators more so than my actual DS. The main reason I want to be tutored is that in order to improve, I need to know where to start or what I am doing wrong. For example, understanding why certain attackers are chosen over others, given relatively similar coverage movepools, would be one goal I hope to achieve, should I be chosen for the tutor round.

As for myself, I'm a senior in college (last semester, yay!) and my major is accounting. I start full-time work next July, but until then I have rather large amounts of free time since I'm finished with my core classes.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes, I currently have a tutee talk thread already.

*Special Note*: I wasn't technically skipped in round 78. It's just that my tutor BKC was rather busy and I wasn't able to receive any form of a lesson. I was able to reach him finally yesterday, and I'm not sure if signing up for tutoring in 79 is appropriate but I thought I'd just make note of it here. I have a tutee talk thread already with some goals I wanted to get out of the tutoring session.

Username: Yuri
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: babymoses or bebemoises, whichever isn't taken already.
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-2 (currently on DST, will revert to GMT-3 on February) Saturdays and Sundays mostly all day. Will have some time avaiable during the week comes December.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU. If that is only avaiable on the carts by when the round starts I am fine with any BW2 tier, preferentially OU.
Tell us a little about yourself: I used to play ADV in Netbattle but I was mostly bad at it. I can't say I pioreered anything but I was one of the few people interested in developing the 2v2 metagame then. I'm sure
they are out there but I never saw anyone use Skill Swap Gengar with Agiligross nor Taunt Alakazam (Inner Focus) like I did. My biggest claim to glory is probably the one time I tied with ViL in ADV UU (though he Exploded his Solrock so maybe I technically won?). Other than that, will major in Electric Engineering by the end of the year.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I'll give you the read of your life, babe.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Username: Zystral

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Zy

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT/CET, 19:00-21:00 except Wednesday, but my timetable on a weekly basis is rather Inconsistent.

What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU

Tell us a little about yourself:
I used to be above average at DPP OU, but never amazing. I never really played in BW due to boarding school. When I got into university I finally had some free time, but Smogon had already become a past chapter in my life. Letting that happen was a mistake I regret. Given that my main areas on Smogon are C&C and CAP, I feel being a respectable player in the metagame would help me make better contributions to various projects.
It's also a personal goal for me to become at least as good as I was before I left.

I will not be a fresh start for tutoring, I already know a lot of basics. It's the advanced thought process and game sense I would like to work and develop on, perhaps some team building. I would mainly just be refreshing my knowledge, getting back into the game, and improving on any weak areas after that.

Most tutors likely already know me, based on how long I've been on the site (not accounting for my 2 year absence).

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yes.

Username: super2ten_898
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: gnoud
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 8-11AM every day of week
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU.
Tell us a little about yourself:I've just come back to competitive pokemon, furthermore my previous experience with competitive pokemon is very little and now I want to study carefully about team building.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes

Last edited:
Username: BlackJet88
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown: BlackJet88
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 11am - 11pm EST any day. I have a rotating retail schedule.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY or BW2 OU or UU if not skilled enough.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a long time pokemon fan since the game first came out. I dipped my toes into the competitive scene when Yellow came out and had a blast at the local tournaments. As the game progressed and became more complicated I had less and less time to practice with anyone and fell out battling up until BW2. The new setup of everything is exciting,fast paced, and really fun. Also I have more free time in my schedule to study and practice this game.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Absolutely

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: I've been a lurker since BW2 came out. The rules on posting guidelines seemed rather daunting for someone who didn't have much to say. I figured I'd just read the whole site and try my hand with out saying anything. This approach has not gotten me very far in my growth as a battler. I'm missing key components like real team synergy or item complexities that you can't learn from one article. While X & Y has been unfolding before us I had a few suggestions and ideas but it seemed someone else had already posted it by the time I got there, and again with the daunting guidelines I didn't want to come across as a newb and clutter your website unnecessarily.

Username: Mazz
Pokemon Showdown Username: Mazz_[x] (the [x] usually has something there)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-7, available everyday bar wednesdays
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 UU (if Ace Emerald is available, I'd prefer him as a tutor)
Tell us a little about yourself: Canadian in his freshman year of university hoping to achieve a degree in exogeology. Pokemon's always been a release for me, allowing me to keep a balance between reality and sanity. I've been involved with UU for a handful of months now, and I'd like to brush up on my knowledge, learn the parts I'm still missing, and hopefully be able to take my knowledge into the SPL this winter.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.

Username: Raikit
Pokemon Showdown Username: Raikit
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: US Eastern Time (GMT -5) Mondays and Wednesdays are a bust but lots of time on any other day.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Pokebank OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm an American female in my third-ish year of college. I've been playing Pokemon since it came out way back when and currently hold the position of Your Mom in my university's Pokemon Club (aka the treasurer). I've always loved to battle other people but have never had success at battling competitively. I'm the kind of person that Karen of the Johto Elite Four talks about - one that tries to win with their favorites. Unfortunately my favorites don't work in the 'real world' and I need to learn to play nice with others. XD
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure.
Why me?: I've known about Smogon for a while but never knew what it was. When my university announced that it was going to host a Pokemon tournament some time in the upcoming months I decided that I wanted to actually be competitive and thought Smogon would be the place to start. After browsing the site for a bit and coming up with some ideas I found the tutoring program. Luckily I found it on one of the days it was open for sign-up. ^_^ I thought that if anyone turn a hopeless battler like me into someone that has a fighting chance it would be you guys and decided to see if you'd be willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)