Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
i must admit that i am disappointed by the stats. i was hoping for something more like 95/130/120/60/70/80. But the current stats are still useful, though i don't think it will be OU. Probably UU.

As for the ability, i am also a little disappointed. Strong Jaws is ok i guess. It would have been better if Tyrantrum had recieved some sort of signature move that is a biting move. Maybe a Rock type one or Dragon type.
Rock Head will probably be the more commonly used ability once it is released. Head Smash is devastating with that base 121 attack and STAB.

I've read an endless amount of builds for Rock Head/Head Smash Tyrantrum and a lot of people saying "Strong Jaws Tyrantrum can't be OU" but what I have NOT seen is any real discussion on what a Strong Jaws Tyrantrum who was trying his best would look like. I would like to run a Tyrantrum right now, before Rock Head.
Which Fangs should I choose between? Should I still use Head Smash as my STAB (I'm assuming Stone Edge instead)? Adamant or Jolly?
Sorry for noob-like questions. I'm just surprised about how little talk there's been about that's actually currently possible.

Last edited:
i must admit that i am disappointed by the stats. i was hoping for something more like 95/130/120/60/70/80. But the current stats are still useful, though i don't think it will be OU. Probably UU.

As for the ability, i am also a little disappointed. Strong Jaws is ok i guess. It would have been better if Tyrantrum had recieved some sort of signature move that is a biting move. Maybe a Rock type one or Dragon type.
Rock Head will probably be the more commonly used ability once it is released. Head Smash is devastating with that base 121 attack and STAB.
You and me both man but at least we have a unique dragon type pokemon with possible access to outrage in the near future as well as possibly iron head or iron tail.

I've read an endless amount of builds for Rock Head/Head Smash Tyrantrum and a lot of people saying "Strong Jaws Tyrantrum can't be OU" but what I have NOT seen is any real discussion on what a Strong Jaws Tyrantrum who was trying his best would look like. I would like to run a Tyrantrum right now, before Rock Head.
Which Fangs should I choose between? Should I still use Head Smash as my STAB (I'm assuming Stone Edge instead)? Adamant or Jolly?
Sorry for noob-like questions. I'm just surprised about how little talk there's been about that's actually currently possible.
you could run something like

Edit: for both sets the usual 252 atk/speed EVs thing is probably the best

Tyrantrum @ Wide Lens/Expert Belt/Leftovers/Life Orb/whatever
Jolly / Adamant (Jolly is better imo to outspeed certain things, but Adamant can work too if you really need to hit harder)
Stone Edge
Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance

I like Fire + Ice coverage (though many like the "boltbeam" (Thunder- and Ice Fang)). And Stone Edge for a stronger STAB option that misses most of the time... that's why you could use a Wide Lens to get a little better accuracy.

Other than that you could run a choiced set...

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band/Scarf
Jolly / Adamant (Jolly Scarf to outspeed base 130s, Adamant Scarf ties with base 115s - without a Scarf if you use Jolly you outspeed stuff like Breloom, Adamant can be used for even more power though. There were some calcs on one of the previous pages, though I think most were with Head Smash...)
Stone Edge / Head Smash?
Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Thunder Fang (any combination of 2, depending on what you want to hit/is more important)
Earthquake

Personally I wouldn't use Head Smash or Poison Fang. Head Smash kills you in 2 hits even if you receive no damage from anything, and a SE Poison Fang is as strong as a normal Stone Edge. While it has better accuracy the power isn't really worth losing more coverage, since Poison Fang doesn't really help with anything besides hitting Fairies SE (Fire/Ice Fang already hit Grass harder)

I also like Jolly more but that's just me. Sometimes you need more power, especially if you aren't using Head Smash.

A defensive set is also on my mind, but I don't think it'd work well so I'm not going to bother posting it... (just standard max hp/def with stealth rock, maybe dragon tail and such)

Last edited:
Well I tried to make a bulkier build on Tyrantrum and the one I made seems too gimmicky for me.

Tyrantrum
225HP/225Atk/4Sp.Def
Nature: Adamant
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
Head Smash
Dragon Tail
Poison Fang
Earthquake

I like its concept but I think I got the wrong EVs for it. But to its credit it took a Moonblast from Gardevoir and OHKO'd it back, dying to recoil. Not sure if its Pokemon Showdown being dumb but yeah, replay for evidence.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-60399392

Don't mind the gimmickness of my team. I tried and it worked out for me.

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Head Smash

I didn't see the Dragon move necessary considering the Ice Fang gives it Dragon, Grass, and Ground coverage.

Last edited:
Tyrantrum @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I didn't see the Dragon move necessary considering the Ice Fang gives it Dragon, Grass, and Ground coverage.
Stone Edge or Head Smash for STAB, no Rock Slide. STAB is too important to waste 25-75 BP, even if it is only at 80% accuracy (Especially since Rock Slide is only 90%). Also, Jolly Nature is probably best.

Maybe it has been said but haven't seen it, but how does one get Rock Head ability from a fossil pokemon?

Will the ability capsule work?

Maybe it has been said but haven't seen it, but how does one get Rock Head ability from a fossil pokemon?

Will the ability capsule work?
Unfortunately ability capsule does not work for hidden abilities, which makes it almost entirely useless for what I was thinking of doing with it. Totally not worth 200 battle points.

Hopefully it either becomes an event pokemon or better yet they give an effective method of obtaining hidden ability pokemon like Dream World.

Hopefully it either becomes an event pokemon or better yet they give an effective method of obtaining hidden ability pokemon like Dream World.
That's the whole point of the Safari, to replace Dream World. Though the unreleased amusement park section of the Pokemon Global Link may have something.. I'm hoping that's where one gets Gems.

I'm considering Dragon Dance, Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Poison Fang, or is that completely dumb?
I'm not sure on whether to go Jolly or Adamant, or if I should invest in Hp over Speed. I'll have to run some calcs to see how much it'll need to outspeed the relevant things with 1 Dragon Dance..

Last edited:
That's the whole point of the Safari, to replace Dream World. Though the unreleased amusement park section of the Pokemon Global Link may have something.. I'm hoping that's where one gets Gems.

I'm considering Dragon Dance, Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Poison Fang, or is that completely dumb?
I'm not sure on whether to go Jolly or Adamant, or if I should invest in Hp over Speed. I'll have to run some calcs to see how much it'll need to outspeed the relevant things with 1 Dragon Dance..
Sounds completely dumb to me ;) You don't have a single stab move, replace PF with Stone Edge and it's a decent set. You'll want to go jolly, so that you can outspeed +130's after a DD. You do enough damage to not need adamant (Especially later when we get RH+HS).

On an unrelated note, I really wish Tyrantrum could use King's Rock competitively :( Or I at least wish he evolved using it.

Sounds completely dumb to me ;) You don't have a single stab move, replace PF with Stone Edge and it's a decent set. You'll want to go jolly, so that you can outspeed +130's after a DD. You do enough damage to not need adamant (Especially later when we get RH+HS).

On an unrelated note, I really wish Tyrantrum could use King's Rock competitively :( Or I at least wish he evolved using it.
I myself like King's Rock and all but it's not really viable to use flinch chance, especially in those situations where you really rely on it. Usually it's better to just try for the OHKO or 2HKO, especially even considering his decent speed he'll still get outsped by some common threats. it's just not that good, unless you stack it with an attack that already has flinch chance. Bite or any of the fang moves, coupled with Strong Jaw? Possibly gimmicky but maybe worth looking into.

What I run:

Tyrantrum @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang

Fire Fang hits the more common Steels harder than EQ, and with Babiri Berry, you can take Scizor's Bullet Punch and OHKO it right back. Dragon Claw gives you consistent solid STAB option if you're sure you can kill something but don't want to risk the Stone Edge missing.

I'm trying to build a support Tyrantrum on cart to counter the rampant Talonflame all over the meta right now. Since Rock Head is currently unavailable, I don't think I will be going with Head Smash. The core I am currently working on is this:

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 DEF
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Ice Fang/Fire Fang/Poison Fang/Crunch

Poison Fang has a 50% chance to apply Toxic and hits Fairies on the switch-in, so I thought it was worthy of mention here, since this set is primarily focused on SR support and shuffling. Ice Fang hits Gligar/Landorus-T/Garchomp really hard on the switch-in if these are sent in for their STAB Earthquake to KO. Both leave him walled by Steels, though. Earthquake hits Steels, but Fire Fang hits Scizor/Forretress/Ferrothorn/Skarmory for a lot more, while giving up some power/acc against other steels. Crunch hits Ghosts and Psychics hard and had really nice neutral coverage, and is the strongest BP coverage option for this slot.

I can find a reason to run all of these coverage moves, but I can only choose one. Anyone have suggestions on which is the best choice?

I'm trying to build a support Tyrantrum on cart to counter the rampant Talonflame all over the meta right now.
//
I can find a reason to run all of these coverage moves, but I can only choose one. Anyone have suggestions on which is the best choice?
I think Tyrantrum is only a viable Pokémon in OU because of Talonflame's presence. I think he is marginal in strength, but those common weaknesses are pretty staggering. I think Tyranitar will become the go-to Talonflame killer, but Tyrantrum is a cute substitute for now.

With that said, I don't see a reason for Dragon Tail over Dragon Claw in your build. As for the Stealth Rock set-up, I feel that will be good against a Talonflame lead, as they will be pulling the bird back immediately unless it is running Steel Wing with a Choice Band. In that case you would want the Babiri Berry like Vashimus talked about earlier. It would help it survive a tango with a Scizor and come back with a Fire Fang. I'm not sure if the Fire Fang would kill without a Dragon Dance though, so that is something to look into.

Also, if you are going to be using Tyrantrum as your pointed stones summoner, I would be looking at Sp Def/Def EV rather than Atk. Gives him some extra protection to be your rock shaman dinosaur of choice.

I'm thinking that Aerial Ace might actually have some merit on this guy (especially after Rock Head gets released), weak though it is… If you're running Rock + Ground coverage with Stone Edge/Head Smash + EQ, it's mainly Grass-types like Chesnaught, Breloom, and (after Pokebank & probably less commonly) Torterra that are gonna wall the coverage; AA hits the Grass/Fighters on their 4x weakness, as well.

Apart from that…
Has anyone found Poison Fang to be worth using at all? …Actually, Fairies probably die just as easily to Stone Edge.

This is probably my preferred set right now:

Tyrantrum @ Babiri Berry
Jolly | Strong Jaw [Rock Head] | 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge / Head Smash
- Fire Fang [EQ]
- Ice Fang [Aerial Ace]

Head Smash could still totally be worth using even without Rock Head. I guess I'm not sure if it's worth cutting his survivability, though.

Last edited:

your stats gives it a 555 bst. You do realize tyrantrum is actually very lucky to get the stats he did since most fossils only have a 495 bst.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Narute, Trait: Strong Jaw/Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP (or w/e)
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Crunch / Fire Fang (depending on ability)
- Ice Fang / Fire Fang / Stone Edge

Any thoughts on that?

So I've been running a DDance Tyrantrum, but found that it suffers a bit from 4MSS. I miss coverage from Fire Fang, which I'd prefer to use over Head Smash in certain situations, and also, ferrothorn.

I rarely, if ever, send out tyrantrum before my speed boosting scolipede. Do you think it'd be okay to drop Ddance for Fire Fang, and rely on baton passes from Scolipede? Or is this increased reliance only going to make him weaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)