Band Rant Gen 5 NU Rmt

Introduction
My team's objective is to bombard the opponent with physical sweepers the exception being a fast special sweeper (electrode) and a cleric/mixed pokemon (articuno). I have tried out each of the pokemon on this team and chose them for specific reason.

The Team

Arbok @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch​
Description: This Pokémon is a strong physical sweeper used to switch in on other physical sweeper, it uses intimidate rather than shed skin because of heal bell Articuno, I included a choice band because it can take down bulky Pokemon. Gunk Shot is his main STAB, and while 70% Accuracy is shaky, the 120 Base Power it has is nothing to scoff at. Earthquake is for Steel types, and Seed Bomb is for Rock and Ground types who like to switch in, and sucker punch is a great priority move to make up for Arbok's mediocre 80 Speed

Why this Pokemon?:Arbok has a large move pool with a variety of types, it has a decent attack stat and there aren't very many ground or steel types residing in NU, so his main STAB Gunk Shot is usually unresisted.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance​
Description: This Pokemon destroys water types with Life Orb STAB Seed Bomb, can regain lost health with Drain Punch is also used to combat Fighting types or hit with neutral on certain enemies, its main move Sucker Punch is priority, Life Orb, and Stabbed which brings base power to an insane 156 Power from a previously 80 base power, and Swords Dance is used to boost power further when opponent switches. Cacturne can even regain health back from Life Orb recoil by switching in to a water type attack.

Why this Pokemon?: The best thing about Cacturne is its synergy with Rapidash. With Cacturne carrying Water Absorb, and Rapidash carrying Flash Fire, the two can switch into each other's weaknesses, and gain health or boosts. Cacturne's speed is its only problem, and it can even make up for that with Sucker Punch.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Roost​
Description: This Articuno is a cleric set used compensate for Arbok's lack of shed skin and also used as a special wall that packs a punch, STAB hurricane and ice beam can always hit neutral or super effective against anything except rock and steel types usually Regirock and that's about it, Articuno uses roost as a reliable method of recovery

Why this Pokemon?: I chose Articuno because I needed a Pokemon to clear status effects and provide general support and recovery to Pokemon who suffer from status affliction such as the crippling burns and to combat pokemon with parafusion such as Dunsparce.

Electrode @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass
- Protect​
Description: This Electrode is a fast special sweeper / scout volt switch set that packs a punch and has the 5th highest speed of any Pokemon only beaten in NU by the pesky Ninjask that is crippled when x-scissoring and getting paralysis from static, you can use protect when you are not sure what set the opponents Pokémon is running.

Why this Pokémon: I chose electrode because it is fast with a decent special attack, I also needed a Pokémon that could cover the many flying types in NU.

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Megahorn
- Hypnosis
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun​
Description: This Rapidash is a fast physical sweeper that can recover health and put Pokémon to sleep which is very useful which you can then take to your advantage and recover using morning sun. This makes for a very good sweeper that will last for a loooooonnnngggg time!

Why this Pokémon: I chose this Pokemon because it has an extreme movepool and its amazing synergy with Cacturne because of the flash fire water absorb combination. It can also out speed most NU Pokemon making it even more useful.

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance​
Description: This Marowak is a very, very strong physical sweeper that uses Bonemerang as its main move that can break subs on the first hit and on the second it can faint their Pokémon along with being STAB it takes full advantage of the thick club which doubles Marowaks attack stat, stone edge is a great alternative for the obvious flying types, while you can sub sword when opponents switch out.

Conclusion
If my team has any better alternative move sets or there are better Pokemon for the job feel free to put a comment down below, and thank you for rating my team!

Hi there, this team isn't bad, but it does need some work.

Choice band Arbok is interesting, but nevertheless useless. It's simply too easy to shut down with it's mediocre bulk and average speed. This is why I suggest the Coil Arbok set. This allows Arbok to set up on a large part of the tier, and proceed to hit hard after getting set up. Coil also negates Gunk Shot's lacking accuracy, giving Arbok's STAB a more reliable kick. Cacturne is fine, but personally I would suggest the Spikes Cacturne set as your team enjoys putting pressure on opponents with Hazards, which you have no way of putting up right now, which is crucial. Your Articuno should also have 248 HP EV's with the defensive subroost set, because this gives you an Odd number of HP, allowing you to switch into stealth rocks three times. This is crucial especially if you are using pokemon such as Articuno or Charizard. Your Electrode set is kind of pointless. The only reason you should ever use electrode is to shut down opposing leads, so you should probably use Taunt over Protect. However, I would much rather you replace Electrode with Ebeltross which helps you break walls on both defenses which currently wall your team. Your Rapidash set is also confusing. Rapidash is far too frail to utilize morning sun, and hypnosis's shaky accuracy makes it unreliable. Instead I would suggest the Banded Rapidash utilizing Baton Pass over Morning Sun, which allows you to gain momentum against your opponents. Another option is SmashKoal which can help you sweep mid-game, or get rocks off the field for your Articuno. Finally, I suggest you run Golem over Marowak. This is because Marowak is far too slow to utilize swords dance and sweep, and you have no way of putting up stealth rocks. This also gives you a way to switch into Swellow and Braviary, two pokemon you are very weak to at the moment, which golem patches up. While I am changing a lot of your team, it is for the better.

Sets:
Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spd / 8 SDef
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Eelektross @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 140 Atk / 244 SAtk / 124 Spd
Rash Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Rapidash @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Baton Pass

-Or-

Coal Mine (Torkoal) @ White Herb
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
I feel your Electrode would benefit more from Taunt than it would Protect. Your team has a Stealth Rock weakness, and if you can't Rapid Spin them, you can at least try to Taunt them. I know the pokemon that are weak to it have recovery, but you'll be wasting a lot of turns trying to counteract the switch damage.

Granbull>Articuno, it still has heal bell except it actually has offensive presence that fit well with the rest of your team

And yeah Taunt or Foul Play> Protect on Electrode

Granbull>Articuno, it still has heal bell except it actually has offensive presence that fit well with the rest of your team

And yeah Taunt or Foul Play> Protect on Electrode
Granbull is far less bulky, and has no access to recovery. It isn't a viable replacement. This also gives him no Ground immunity, which 3 of his pokemon are weak to right now.

RUN STEALTH ROCK. And if you are running Articuno, RUN RAPID SPIN.

Individual sets:

Arbok: Be very careful indeed about choice-locking yourself onto Sucker Punch. You become extreme set-up bait. I honestly think that Coil + 3 attacks is Arbok's only really viable NU set (there's RestTalk too I guess).

Cacturne: Seems fine. Possibly run Spikes, but I don't know what you'd drop.

Articuno: I don't like Hurricane, it's too unreliable for my tastes. Since (again), Articuno can become set-up bait, Whirlwind is probably better. Would work well if you did go for Spikes on Cacturne.

Rapidash: Agreeing with above suggestion of Torkoal. Not convinced that Shell Smash is the right set since it's still pretty slow even after a smash and gets forced out quite easily, and you already have some set-up sweepers. A more defensive set with Lava Plume/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock/filler (maybe Clear Smog?) seems appropriate.

Electrode: If you're going to use Electrode, at least make use of the cool options like Taunt, Mirror Coat and Foul Play that it has, otherwise you'd be better served with the likes of Zebstrika or Scarfed Rotom formes.

Marowak: Again, I'm not really seeing the synergy with the rest of the team. Marowak is so slow that you will have to gamble to set it up properly, and you already have plenty of physical attackers. Can't really think what should be replacing it at the moment

Shell Smash Torkoal isn't meant to sweep noobcubed . It has the soul purpose of rapid spinning, and because of the smash, you beat out every Spin Blocker in the tier, as you outspeed standard Golurk and OHKO, and you 2HKO Misdreavus, thus garunteeing you the spin before you die. If you sweep, you are fighting a very slow team.

An Example of a team utilizing this set effectively:
FLCL's Volcanic Eruption:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/volcanic-eruption.3473443/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)